Luis Nani | 2010/11 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

AttackingFlair

Nani's first and only contribution was giving the ball away in our own box to allow Villa to score. It was correct that he did not start. His form had been poor in the months leading up to the Final.
He did well in possession, didn't commit silly fouls and made an opportunity for himself on his weaker foot even though it wasn't the best of shots.. but then again we hardly had any shots at all. Decent appearance off the bench.

Claymore

Why do people bump threads of players who have a bad game or are not involved? Nani has been one of our best players this season, in fact he has been voted by our very own players as THE BEST player this season and if he was English or British or played for the country he played in at 19 (in this case England) then he would most likely have been PFA player or YpFA of the year. That's coming from someone on here who's English and actually wants England to do well., LOL.

Nani has had a rough time since Valencia has come back as he's been moved around but also the work rate or options from Antonio, IE. RB position has meant he has been second choice, plus the form and type of game of Park. Nani is awesome, one of the most technically players we have. Love to watch him play.

Lets not be down on him let we was when he came on late in a game we were already lacking options in. Valencia and Hernandez also look out of it tonight but through no fault of their own really. Support them, all of them great players.

VoetbalWizard

Why do people bump threads of players who have a bad game or are not involved? Nani has been one of our best players this season, in fact he has been voted by our very own players as THE BEST player this season and if he was English or British or played for the country he played in at 19 (in this case England) then he would most likely have been PFA player or YpFA of the year. That's coming from someone on here who's English and actually wants England to do well., LOL.

Nani has had a rough time since Valencia has come back as he's been moved around but also the work rate or options from Antonio, IE. RB position has meant he has been second choice, plus the form and type of game of Park. Nani is awesome, one of the most technically players we have. Love to watch him play.

Lets not be down on him let we was when he came on late in a game we were already lacking options in. Valencia and Hernandez also look out of it tonight but through no fault of their own really. Support them, all of them great players.
I'm not down on him. I'm worried he might be mad he didn't start and agitate for a move.

Eriku

He was their best player in the Ullevaal match as well... something you'd not have gathered at all from the recap by Viasat.

Laphroaig

True that, pathetic coverage. Pre-game: Wow! We're up against the (second) best player in the World we're doooooooooooomed!!!!! Post-game: Hey, Ron wasn't all that, Høgli MOTM!!!!

So basically it was 11 against 1 and we're quite happy to only lose by a goal. Yeah!

Eriku

To be fair the Danes had a lot more clear chances against them than we did, and we might even have nicked a goal or two if we were a bit sharper going forward. And Høgli was tremendous in how deal with whatever winger they threw at him.

No shame in our campaign yet, and we might well have just displayed that we have the stability and structure to make us more than the sum of our parts, possibly well enough to get us to our first championship in 12 years. I'm not too disappointed.

Eriku

Nah, fo shizzle. If you ask me Drillo is the second best manager out there. And I mean that.
Sheeeeeeit, I even think Fergie could've benefitted from a consult prior to May 28th.

O wellz.

To Nani! Hope he doesn't lose his stones due to being roughed up when we get to the business end next season. His incredible reaction time and close technique means that he'll outsmart the defenders 9/10 times, not to mention that his crossing is ace when on song. If he could do what he did in Valencia's absence on the left wing, then we're going to be a far bigger nuisance going forward next season.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Nani is not an idiot. He would be more upset about not winning then not starting. He knows why Valencia was picked over him and its not because he's better going forward.
You know him personally, then? ;)

Laphroaig

No idea why Ron and Nani didn't change sides occasionally today. Nani was tearing Riise a new one while Ronaldo was kept quiet by Tom fecking Høgli! (Probably because Nani was causing sufficient damage for Portugal not to need Ron's contribution.)

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
Watched this with some Portuguese last night.

Can't believe they've still got Helder Postiga up front!

I know he scored, but in general he's shite. Imagine if Portugal could produce just one top striker. A front three to rival anything.

Skholesy

Watched this with some Portuguese last night.

Can't believe they've still got Helder Postiga up front!

I know he scored, but in general he's shite. Imagine if Portugal could produce just one top striker. A front three to rival anything.
I think Ronaldo's gone backwards when it comes to wing play. He doesn't seem able to get past his man that often or effectively any more. Probably down to him focussing on bulk, losing a bit of pace in the process, and trying to break all manner of goal scoring records.

I reckon portugal may do well to find another winger and ship ronnie up front to do the damage. Who know's in years to come this new winger may be bebe :lol:

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Yeh, Ronaldo's seriously regressed in that aspect. It's been so long now since he's been good at that part of his game that I'm not sure he has it in him anymore.

Really, it seems that he's moulded his game in order to get the most amount of glory (goals), but has now either lost the ability to dribble, or lost the will. It's working, but it's a shame for him that he's lost that whilst being born into this generation. He who must not be named just has so much more overall impact on the pitch, and that is ultimately why Ronaldo will probably never be as good. Very much a rich man's Torres though (not this imposter we're seeing for Chelsea, currently), which isn't bad....

Great to hear that Nani had a great game. Didn't catch the game, but his form for Portugal is generally excellent. They'd have one hell of a unit up top if they produced another winger or forward. How that country must be crying out for another Eusebio...

More trouble than they are worth

When you combine goals scored and assists, Nani had his most successful season for Manchester United but was on the bench in the Champions League final. His club's most effective player then, on statistics alone, yet he may well end up elsewhere for next season. If you ignore Glazernomics - sell him for £20 million and replace him with the cheaper Ashley Young - getting rid of the player makes sense. Nani, and there are other examples, is a kind of toxic player that does a side more harm than good.

Nani, a man with a statue in honour of his own existence in his house, scores or assists about thirty goals a season yet hinders his side in a number of ways. His sorry performance against Liverpool (when he cried), started a loss of form to epitomise United's failings.

Jamie Carragher's tackle was a disgrace, which didn't get the ban, and further ban, it deserved, but Nani embodied a new United, who could now be bullied. From the first championship winning side in 1993 until the day Cristiano Ronaldo was sold, United had a swagger that came from the knowledge of technical superiority, but also innate physicality. They could handle a stramash. But their midfield this season, where the game was lost to Barcelona, was so callow at times it was almost non-existent.

Nani's decision-making is clearly not up to scratch. His effectiveness has increased with experience but, for a player of 24, his choices are still teenage. Cristiano Ronaldo often shoots when he should pass, but Ronaldo is an excellent finisher. Nani, on the other hand, takes no account of his limitations and shoots simply because he wants to. He lacks the intelligence to consistently change games. That he was accommodated for so many games this season encouraged a complacency and, when there are such a large amount of young players developing at Old Trafford, he cannot be considered a senior player.

That is why Nani, with defects of indecision and ego, is toxic to Manchester United. Whether Ashley Young is a suitable replacement is academic, because he can't be any worse.

Nani isn't the only case of a key player holding back a side. Thierry Henry is the best example of recent years. A sullen loafer capable of regular genius damaged the confidence of the young team around him, his moodiness chiding emergent players back into the shadows. His ego demanded the ball, but at the same time the knowledge of his own brilliance castigated teammates when they could not get it to him. Such self-regard was inherited by Cesc Fabregas. In his head and heart he plays at the Nou Camp, not as a true captain or leader for Arsenal. If Arsene Wenger was as ruthless as the best managers, he would sell him and replace a nearly-great player with those who have achieved real success. Captaincy does not become Fabregas, but he has the transfer value of at least two or three real men. It's an obvious exchange.

Chelsea remain in thrall to their own talisman of trouble. John Terry, fans' hero, is ripe for shipping out. As inspirational as he used to be, his lists (plural) of transgressions have gone too far. The Wembley box, the stadium tours and the Wayne Bridge episode hardly suggest he is the nicest of chaps. That he said about Guus Hiddink - "I kept in contact on a personal level. That speaks volumes for him" - demonstrates a remarkable self-love and utter lack of awareness. Cynically speaking, he's over thirty and declining already. Chelsea could do their squad's happiness and quality a real favour by selling him sharpish.

The same can also be said for Steven Gerrard. He may throw his weight around the dressing room, yet the 'Liverpool Way' is not served by sixty-yard punts across the field. Fading lungs are linked in tandem to his ability to affect a match. It would serve Kenny Dalglish well to capitalise on a large transfer fee to replace Gerrard with players who can pass consistently and intelligently over ten metres, rather than scoring a fun thirty-yard goal three times a season.

You can see Carlos Tevez repeating his personal cycle now. This is a player committed to stirring up trouble regardless of the notion of decency. Of course, players are more or less free to move, but there has never been a man who plays so cynically to the tribal crowds of footballer. Pretending to be a passionate player with an intimate appreciation of the spectators, yet a month into a season starting rumblings for a transfer? That's simply unpleasant. Anybody who buys him should realise that it's more or less a loan voucher to be redeemed by the next bunch of suitors once he tires of his temporary surroundings.

Carlos Tevez may well be readying himself for his next port of call
Manchester United's Champions League final opposition, Barcelona, show the advantage of sacrificing disruptive star players. Samuel Eto'o, a superior player to both Zlatan Ibrahimovic and David Villa, caused such riotous damage to the training ground spirit alongside his enemy, Ronaldinho, that both were shipped out. Ronaldinho was cast aside for iffy performances as much as a lack of commitment to shifting a gut, but Eto'o remains a great player. However, selling the Cameroon striker was a masterstroke; the sheer happiness now at Barcelona is remarkable.

It has been enough to make a positive of Eric Abidal's illness, win trophies, and strong enough to bind a Spanish team into winning the World Cup. Even with two truly dislikeable players in Sergio Busquets and Dani Alves, Barcelona are strong because the players themselves don't wish to swap black eyes.

In essence, Barcelona have proved that in football at least, nice guys don't always finish last.
I just came across that crap by Alexander Netherton @ Soccernet. I'm not even gonna give him the satisfaction of a direct link to it. It's yet another personal attack on Nani and pure ignorance of his importance to us. So, Nani's a toxic influence, has poor decision making and we must get rid? It feels just like groundhog day. :houllier:

If his name sounds familiar, it's because he has a history of writing bollocks about our club and players. Just like this:

https://www.redcafe.net/f6/can-win-loss-hidden-price-success-alexander-netherton-320273/

datura

There are some terrible bloggers about. The Bleacher Report is the latest culprit for terrible articles. There was one recently about 'United target' Lloris apparently staying at Lille for another season.

Lailiani

(Sadly not) Banned
There have been rumours from other sources, though. If he doesn't get enough playing time in the upcoming season, I can see him looking for a move. He's 25 and hugely talented, I don't think he's too about his situation. :(

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Funnily enough, I kinda agree with much of that article...except the bits about United && Nani; and I'm not even being biased. In particular, the stuff about Thierry Henry is true enough, I feel.

Cina

There have been rumours from other sources, though. If he doesn't get enough playing time in the upcoming season, I can see him looking for a move. He's 25 and hugely talented, I don't think he's too about his situation. :(
Why the hell wouldn't he?

feck sake, believe it or not he still played a lot of games in the last 2 months of the season. People just seem blinded by the fact that he didn't play the Chelsea games or the CL final. And rightly so because his form had dropped since the Carragher tackle.

Nani will get a lot of game time next season. He's our best winger, one of the PL's best players and one of Europe's best wingers. He won't be off, and certainly not for the measly prices that have been speculated.

Aint gota Kalou

Why do people think Nani is a pussy? He never shirks a challenge and usually gets stuck in. I know he can exaggerate injury a bit but his strength on the ball shouldn't really be questioned.

That article is shit, not sure what Nani has to do to convince some people.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
He's really bulked up and looks a powerhouse these days. Impressed me a lot more this season, how he shirked off tackles that would have brought him down in the past, and showed a bit more desire to reach the ball regardless, or get back up.

Nani is another one who doesn't get the plaudits he deserves. He's a phenomenal talent and will go on to be a world beater I'm sure of it. The rate of progression is insane as well, especially when playing without the whole team in sync, with Rooney back to arguably his greatest form, Hernandez as well and a consistent winger on the other side, I can't wait to see how he starts next season.

Laphroaig

"That is why Nani, with defects of indecision and ego, is toxic to Manchester United. Whether Ashley Young is a suitable replacement is academic, because he can't be any worse." ...

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Definitely, the quality and consistency he was showing prior to that was huge, and I don't think Valencia's return had a single thing to do with it.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
"I am happy at Manchester United" - Nani
By Orlando Vieira

On holiday in Madeira, where this afternoon watching the Athletic Union, which decides to surrender the title of champion 2. Division, assured that Nani is happy at Manchester United, devaluing the news that point to the interest of Juventus.

Accompanied by his girlfriend and family, the Portuguese international was feeling Field Adelino Rodrigues, Funchal, stage of the game between the Madeira and Athletic Union, which defines the champion 2. Division.

The fact that his cousin Carlitos play at Atletico justified the presence of Nani, that the same day that news broke in Italy on the progress of Juventus on their hiring.

Nani, prompted by BALL, assured that he is happy at Manchester United.

Source:
abola.pt

Status
Not open for further replies.