Luis Nani | 2010/11 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
'kin hell. Wish players would just dodge this shit. It's unprofessional given the fuel this inevitably provides for the media.

'No comment' please, you nobheads.

Anderson8

"I am fine at Manchester United, but its nice to know other clubs are interested in me"

Found this annoying. I'd like to think he'd be more than just fine, and not declare his happiness in potential interest.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
He didn't even mention Real Madrid. All he was saying was that one day he'd like to work under the Special One. I don't think he'll have to leave Old Trafford for that to happen.
Nope, 2+2 very much equals 4 here:

"I am fine at Manchester United, but it is good to hear there are other clubs interested," Nani told the media at a recent youth tournament in Seixal.

"Would I like to work under Mourinho? Yes, but at this moment I am fine at Manchester United."
That's inferring talk of other clubs. He should've ignored the question.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He didn't say he'd like to work under Mourinho "one day". He could have but he didn't.

There's every chance we'll discover these quotes have been mistranslated or completely made up but let's not pretend he said something he did not. As it stands, these comments are a bit more non-committal than you want to hear from a United player.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Not really seeing much in those quotes there. Even if he had intentions of going, I'm sure we would be more than able to talk him around.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Maybe he meant outside of football, like a bricklayer or plumber business run by Mourinho?

Cold_Boy

So he must have been asked: Would you like to play under Mourinho?

Nani: Yes. He is a great manager.

So what? I mean you don't expect him to say" no I dont want to play under Mourinho "for no reason.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
What makes me worried is that people are actually even thinking about trading Nani away now that fecking Ashley Young is coming in. That's got to be the worst deal ever made by a manager if that ever happens. Pisses me off totally.
If we get Young I have a feeling he's going to be a player to come on to boost the attack, perhaps play as a second forward or just fit him in on the flank.

pillory

I looked at about ten Portuguese sources and found (via Google translate) quotes like "of course I want to stay at United" and "I'm very happy at United", whereas Goal opted for "yeah, I'm fine at United, whatever". And I didn't find any trace of "I was left with a bitter taste in my mouth after not being a starter in the Champions League final".

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
What makes me worried is that people are actually even thinking about trading Nani away now that fecking Ashley Young is coming in. That's got to be the worst deal ever made by a manager if that ever happens. Pisses me off totally.
If we get Young I have a feeling he's going to be a player to come on to boost the attack, perhaps play as a second forward or just fit him in on the flank.
That is the most hyperbolic thing I've ever seen written. Ever.

Cold_Boy

Its really annoying and surprising the lack of respect and support Nani has from some United fans.

Many are ok to trade him for Sniejder or Sanchez.

They don't realise he was not only sensational last season but has unbelievable talent to be even better.

kietotheworld

Sneijder is one of the best players in the world in a position where we're severely lacking, it's not at all surprising that we'd trade Nani for him when we already have Valencia, and we will soon have Young. I believe Nani is a better player than Valencia or Young, but the upgrade we'd get in central midfield would be well worth the slight downgrade in our wing options.

Cold_Boy

Sneijder is one of the best players in the world in a position where we're severely lacking, it's not at all surprising that we'd trade Nani for him when we already have Valencia, and we will soon have Young. I believe Nani is a better player than Valencia or Young, but the upgrade we'd get in central midfield would be well worth the slight downgrade in our wing options.
So we should weaken an area of our team to improve one?

I don't think so.

And wingers has always been our strong point no matter whichever other area we have been weak in.

kietotheworld

So we should weaken an area of our team to improve one?

I don't think so.

And wingers has always been our strong point no matter whichever other area we have been weak in.
If we have the option to vastly improve one area of the team while weakening another to a much lesser extent, or to stay as we are, then yes we absolutely should do that, regardless of what 'has always been' our strong point.

Cold_Boy

If we have the option to vastly improve one area of the team while weakening another to a much lesser extent, or to stay as we are, then yes we absolutely should do that, regardless of what 'has always been' our strong point.
I would rather not then spend money on Young and use that extra to get Sniejder.

Cina

That's such a daft analogy.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Now now people, as a respected member of this forum I will kindly ask you both to put aside your differences so as not to derail the thread.

(Is that a better analogy cina?)

kietotheworld

And 'That's daft' is a superb contribution to the thread.

I would rather not then spend money on Young and use that extra to get Sniejder.
Obviously it would be better to have both players, but if it came to a choice, as it might given that we don't know our budget or how highly Inter value Nani, it would be better to weaken one area a little to massively strengthen another. I'd like to keep Nani, of course I would, he's a quality player but I'd rather have Young and Sniejder, in fact I'd rather just have Sneijder.

Cina

Ugh, fine. It was pretty self explanatory bar perhaps not a fully appropriate word. Comparing those 2 scenarios like for like, i.e. selling our best winger, and arguably the PL's best winger just to accommodate getting a player in the middle of the park, as opposed to keeping him in order to sacrifice getting the best midfielder we possibly can.

Nani was our most productive attacker last season, why the hell would we get rid of him and inevitably lessen our attack just to get a midfielder? It makes no sense, you could just as well argue that it'd make our squad weaker rather than stronger.

It's a daft "idea"

sajeev

analogy (əˈnælədʒɪ)

— n , pl -gies
1. agreement or similarity, esp in a certain limited number of features or details
2. a comparison made to show such a similarity: to draw an analogy between an atom and the solar system
3. biology the relationship between analogous organs or parts
4. logic, maths a form of reasoning in which a similarity between two or more things is inferred from a known similarity between them in other respects
5. linguistics imitation of existing models or regular patterns in the formation of words, inflections, etc: a child may use ``sheeps'' as the plural of ``sheep'' by analogy with ``dog'', ``dogs'', ``cat'', ``cats'', etc

HTH

Cina

I think you missed the whole point!
I didn't, it was a sarcastic comment. Whoopity doo.

Why are we talking about this in a Nani thread?

And Elvis, should you really be in a Nani thread, given your ... past records? :)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I haven't watched Sjneider enough to be absolutely certain he's the best central midfielder available.

If he is, though, and if the only way to get him off inter involves Nani going the opposite direction (two very big if's) then it's a no brainer. Young and Valencia would be a very good pairing on the wings if we have a world class central midfield alongside them.

I doubt we'll let Nani go though. I'm sure Fergie will do his best to hold onto him.

Cina

I haven't watched Sjneider enough to be absolutely certain he's the best central midfielder available.

If he is, though, and if the only way to get him off inter involves Nani going the opposite direction (two very big if's) then it's a no brainer. Young and Valencia would be a very good pairing on the wings if we have a world class central midfield alongside them.

I doubt we'll let Nani go though. I'm sure Fergie will do his best to hold onto him.
A no brainer? Seriously?

I know you're not Nani's biggest fan but you really think getting rid of the PLs best player last season (bar the last 2 months of course) in order to accommodate a player who, while very talented would not be guaranteed to be a success here. Sneijder has his flaws and I don't genuinely think he'd be a 100% guarantee to fit into this team, and let's not go down the 'world class' route.

And Young (who will be used more through the middle than as a winger probably), and to a lesser extent Valencia, are inferior players to Nani.

kietotheworld

A no brainer? Seriously?

I know you're not Nani's biggest fan but you really think getting rid of the PLs best player last season (bar the last 2 months of course) in order to accommodate a player who, while very talented would not be guaranteed to be a success here. Sneijder has his flaws and I don't genuinely think he'd be a 100% guarantee to fit into this team, and let's not go down the 'world class' route.

And Young (who will be used more through the middle than as a winger probably), and to a lesser extent Valencia, are inferior players to Nani.
No player is guaranteed to be a success here, not even Nani next season. I agree that Valencia and Young are inferior to Nani, but they are still very good wingers, while Sneijder is an exceptional player. It's better to have an excellent midfield and very good wingers than have a mediocre midfield and slightly better wingers, and swapping Nani for Sneijder would, in my view, give us that.

finneh

Getting rid of one of the League's best players to buy someone who might end up being one of the league's best players (or might end up being average) is dumb, regardless of whether we have a decent backup.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Young and Valencia would give us a better pair of wingers than any of our rivals. Nani is extremely talented but the closing weeks/months of the seaso proved that we're still a great side without him (and that was without Young)

If our midfield is massively upgraded then we'll be a stronger team overall. I'm more than happy to trust Fergie's judgement on whether Sneijder really will improve our midfield and, if so, by how much.

Status
Not open for further replies.