Luis Nani | 2010/11 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cina

No player is guaranteed to be a success here, not even Nani next season. I agree that Valencia and Young are inferior to Nani, but they are still very good wingers, while Sneijder is an exceptional player. It's better to have an excellent midfield and very good wingers than have a mediocre midfield and slightly better wingers, and swapping Nani for Sneijder would, in my view, give us that.
But Nani is far more likely to be seeing as he has a lot more experience in the PL. Don't really understand your logic behind that one.

Sneijder isn't our only option, he's 3 years older than Nani and we'd need to give Nani AND money for him. How is that worth it?

You really think that SAF would sacrifice Nani just to get Sneijder when there ARE other very good options out there. Some people seem to just see Sneijder as the be all and end all here.

Nani carried the team at times last year. We would never have won the league without him.

If our midfield is massively upgraded then we'll be a stronger team overall.
Sneijder would not provide this.

Kaiketsu_Zorro

How on earth would you not consider him an upgrade to Anderson or 37 yo Giggs? It's obvious he's far superior to any CM options we have atm. Maybe he's not best suited to 4-4-2 but to say he wouldn't be an upgrade is somewhat hard to understand.

Cina

How on earth would you not consider him an upgrade to Anderson or 37 yo Giggs? It's obvious he's far superior to any CM options we have atm. Maybe he's not best suited to 4-4-2 but to say he wouldn't be an upgrade is somewhat hard to understand.
He's an upgrade not a MASSIVE one, and not worth sacrificing Nani for.

You also fail to mention that Anderson is 23 and still potentially brilliant. we've Carrick and Fletcher too, by the way.

Denis' cuff

if Nani can reproduce his pre-Carragher assault form over a full season we'd be insane to let him go. Give him the chance.

Regarding the Mourinho comment, he was probably asked if he would ever welcome the chance to play under him. He's very unlikely to say no even if he gave it careful thought, never mind being caught off-guard by some slimey journo intent on twisting the context.

kietotheworld

But Nani is far more likely to be seeing as he has a lot more experience in the PL. Don't really understand your logic behind that one.

Sneijder isn't our only option, he's 3 years older than Nani and we'd need to give Nani AND money for him. How is that worth it?

You really think that SAF would sacrifice Nani just to get Sneijder when there ARE other very good options out there. Some people seem to just see Sneijder as the be all and end all here.

Nani carried the team at times last year. We would never have won the league without him.

The point is, any player is a gamble. Sniejder would be more of a gamble but his quality makes that a gamble worth taking, if we were to pay £10m + Nani I'd say that would be a fair price, Nani is a very good player, but Sneijder is a tier above him in quality, and more importantly he plays in a position where we very much need strengthening. Nani plays in a position where, if we sign Young, we'll have something of a surplus.

Sneijder isn't our only option, but there aren't many alternatives who could offer as much as him, possibly Modric and Nasri, but I don't see anyone else, and there's no guarantee they'll be any easier to get, or in Nasri's case would even come to United.

I agree that we wouldn't have won the League without Nani last year, but I'm not sure how relevant that is to our decision making now. if Valencia hadn't got injured, we've no way of knowing if that would be true, and if our midfield hadn't ranged from shite to the dizzy heights of mediocrity for most of the season, it probably wouldn't have been true either. If this deal were to go through our midfield would almost certainly be a lot stronger, and Valencia is unlikely to sustain a serious injury next season.

Saying all this, I don't expect it to happen, I'm not sure we could afford Sneijder's wages and there's no guarantee he's not happy here. I was initially trying t explain why people would be happy to see Nani go in exchange for Sneijder, speaking personally, it's not because I don't rate Nani, it's because having Sneijder would be better for the team, given our other options.

Cina

You could argue that Sneijder really isn't that much better than Nani seeing as Nani is the PL's best winger and has been for 18 months. I'm fully sure Young is not being bought to replace Nani and he will not get much game time above him.

Sneijder really isn't the be all and end all, I'm not alone in saying that Modric would be a better fit here, whilst maybe not be as 'world class', but that shouldn't really be discussed in this thread.

Anyway, I just don't see the point in giving a 24 year old Nani + around 20m or more for a 27 year old Sneijder would benefit our team very much or be a good sacrifice to make, and nor will it happen either.

If anything we'd be more likely to try give them Berbatov.

WireRed

For all those advocating sacrificing Nani for Sneijder, Sneijder is not a CM who'll come in and address that area of the team that we've needed to strengthen for a while, he's a classic number 10 and to truly fit into this United side, he'd have to come in at the expense of the Rooney-Hernandez combo which has started to flourish, whether that be by taking Rooney's role and Wayne being shunted wide or Rooney moving as the focal point and Chicharito dropping to the bench. I don't think either scenario is necessary especially when the player in question would cost north of £35m or a fraction less plus our best attacking player last season.

Cina

I agree.

Modric > Sneijder, in terms of what we need.

And in mega muppet mode, Schweingstiger > all.

But being sensible, getting rid of Nani is just silly.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
As an aside, it's bizarre that our two best attacking players for over half the season - Berbatov and Nani - finished the season stuck on the bench and are both being linked wih a move. Football, bloody hell.
Well, for me its clear that he didn't fully recover from his injury completely, resulting in his drop of form and resting. Berbatov doesn't want to go anywhere, neither does Nani, but its inevitable we will hear transfer rumours about them, not there is any substance to them.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Young and Valencia would give us a better pair of wingers than any of our rivals. Nani is extremely talented but the closing weeks/months of the seaso proved that we're still a great side without him (and that was without Young)

If our midfield is massively upgraded then we'll be a stronger team overall. I'm more than happy to trust Fergie's judgement on whether Sneijder really will improve our midfield and, if so, by how much.
And Valencia's form up until he broke his leg proved that when he's off form, he's drastically off form. Valencia is a really good player but Nani is better. He's more technical, he's two footed and he has the ability to create something out of nothing consistently. As good as Valencia is, he can be quietened down. Even if Nani is quietened down, he'll still put a goal scoring chance in atleast once a game. Had Berbatov buried a couple of his chances in the final game, Nani would have had a couple more assists.

At the end of the day, Nani played nearly every game up until Carra's tackle. Valencia who'd been out since September was always going to come back and look alot fresher.

Cina

I don't really like comparing Nani and Valencia because people always have different opinions based on who they prefer more so than who is actually the better player. Don't get me wrong, I've always had a bit of bias towards Nani, right since he came here, but sometimes you need to compare them.

But on form he's our most effective winger, and he did more in 20 minutes against Barca than Valencia did in the entire game. He was completely and utterly done in by his lack of a left foot in that match.

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
I don't really like comparing Nani and Valencia because people always have different opinions based on who they prefer more so than who is actually the better player. Don't get me wrong, I've always had a bit of bias towards Nani, right since he came here.

But on form he's our most effective winger, and he did more in 20 minutes against Barca than Valencia did in the entire game. He was completely and utterly done in by his lack of a left foot in that match.
Why?

Cina

Personal preferences for individual players are unhelpful when it comes to recognising what's best for the team.
Yes because you've never had anything personal when it comes to Nani, right?

Anyway liking him doesn't really affect what I'm saying here. It's hardly a secret that he's the best winger in the PL and such.

puNANI

He is one of our best players. Before the Carragher tackle he was probably our most consistent attacker for a year and constantly put in efforts that won us games. Against most teams he and Valencia will be first choice, and I don't think he will mind fighting for his spot for the slot against big teams.

Devil may care

One of the things our side could do with is a bit more flair and creativity in the final third, Nani is the best we currently have and still only 24, I can't see any reason to even consider letting him go.

AttackingFlair

For all those advocating sacrificing Nani for Sneijder, Sneijder is not a CM who'll come in and address that area of the team that we've needed to strengthen for a while, he's a classic number 10 and to truly fit into this United side, he'd have to come in at the expense of the Rooney-Hernandez combo which has started to flourish, whether that be by taking Rooney's role and Wayne being shunted wide or Rooney moving as the focal point and Chicharito dropping to the bench. I don't think either scenario is necessary especially when the player in question would cost north of £35m or a fraction less plus our best attacking player last season.
Agreed.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Young and Valencia would give us a better pair of wingers than any of our rivals. Nani is extremely talented but the closing weeks/months of the seaso proved that we're still a great side without him (and that was without Young)

If our midfield is massively upgraded then we'll be a stronger team overall. I'm more than happy to trust Fergie's judgement on whether Sneijder really will improve our midfield and, if so, by how much.
We already have a better pair of wingers than all our rivals

CapeTownRed

Personal preferences for individual players are unhelpful when it comes to recognising what's best for the team.
There are better options than trading our 2nd best attacking threat for a midfielder who would probably be a bit better than what we have a present. The way some of you are carrying on you'd swear we were trying to trade Nani in for Xavi or a 27 year old Paul Scholes.

This applies despite the fact our weakness lies in central midfield. There's better business to be done elsewhere, without having to cash in on a player whose potential hasn't even been fully tapped. And Sneijder's not even a tier above Nani right now as far as I'm concerned, and at the rate Nani's improving he'll be in the top 5 players in the world within 2 years...

Name Changed

weso26
I haven't watched Sjneider enough to be absolutely certain he's the best central midfielder available.

If he is, though, and if the only way to get him off inter involves Nani going the opposite direction (two very big if's) then it's a no brainer. Young and Valencia would be a very good pairing on the wings if we have a world class central midfield alongside them.

I doubt we'll let Nani go though. I'm sure Fergie will do his best to hold onto him.
If Ferguson's "alleged" interest in Sanchez is true, then Nani leaving wouldn't be totally off the wall.

I agree though, central midfield must be a priority. And considering we are bringing Young in, if we lost one of our wingers (whoever) and brought in Sneijder for example, then it is a no brainer.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
ok, Im not arsed to read through other pages - is anyone seriously suggesting that we should get rid of Nani for whatever reason? I do understand the love for Valencia but common on his day Nani is one the best wingers in the world.

Some people will never give Nani credit. Im, just glad his teammates rate him.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Of course we do.

My point was that we still would, in the scenario described above.

The main difference would be that our central midfield would also be as good, if not better, than anyone else. Which would make a pleasant change.
I wouldn't do it, even for Sneijder. Nani is too valuable and still improving.

Tibs

Nani is class, and I'd hate to see him go as part of another deal, or because we sign Ashley Young (who I don't overly rate)

Name Changed

weso26
I don't rate Sneijder that highly either. If it was Schweinsteiger though, that would be a different matter.

Cold_Boy

ok, Im not arsed to read through other pages - is anyone seriously suggesting that we should get rid of Nani for whatever reason? I do understand the love for Valencia but common on his day Nani is one the best wingers in the world.

Some people will never give Nani credit. Im, just glad his teammates rate him.
This.

Nani has the potential to be top 5 in the world. He is superbly talented.

Anyone suggesting we trade or sell him on the back of the last couple of months after his injury is seriously idiotic.

And its not like Nani is a Ronaldo for whom we have to build a team around.The best way this team will improve is by keeping the best players and adding to them.Not selling our best players

I'm always right

Just mentioned this in another thread but I wanna post here too because I believe another bollox myth is being created, in that Nani was only good for half of last season.

The fact is he played well all the way up to the Bolton home game when he forced our winning goal and was our driving force in the final 10 minutes. The Bolton game was on the 19th March 2011.

Oh, and we'd be fecking mental to sell him.

Tibs

I'd go so far as to say if it came down to selling one of Tony and Nani...I'm sorry Tony V, but you'd be off.

tintedsepia

Nani has the potential to be top 5 in the world. He is superbly talented.
Anyone suggesting we trade or sell him on the back of the last couple of months after his injury is seriously idiotic.
Not the point. The point is SAF has done this sort of thing before - sacrifice individual players for the good of the team.

VoetbalWizard

Do you want to beat barca?

Because it is impossible to play rooney centrally WITH hernandez if you want to.

It was obvious to those who watched barca week in week out, but now it's obvious to everyone.

We need someone like sneijder who can keep possession, switch play with lightening speed high up the pitch to wide areas, plays glorious through balls all day long, great range of passing, etc etc.

At united we play almost 60 matches a season, there is enough matches to chop and change tactics.

If you are content getting arsefecked by barca, then by all means, lets stick to 'we can only sign midfielders who can play in 442'.

Mind you, this isn't to advocate swapping nani for sneijder or even signing sneijder.

This is just trying ot point out to people who don't want to spend big money on a midfielder ebcause they might not perfectly fit 442. Football's moved on. You could play robson and keane in their prime together in the middle and barca would've still dominated the midfield.

AttackingFlair

Do you want to beat barca?

Because it is impossible to play rooney centrally WITH hernandez if you want to.

It was obvious to those who watched barca week in week out, but now it's obvious to everyone.

We need someone like sneijder who can keep possession, switch play with lightening speed high up the pitch to wide areas, plays glorious through balls all day long, great range of passing, etc etc.

At united we play almost 60 matches a season, there is enough matches to
chop and change tactics.

If you are content getting arsefecked by barca, then by all means, lets stick to 'we can only sign midfielders who can play in 442'.

Mind you, this isn't to advocate swapping nani for sneijder or even signing sneijder.

This is just trying ot point out to people who don't want to spend big money on a midfielder becausw they might not perfectly fit 442. Football's moved on. You could play robson and keane in their prime together in the middle and barca would've still dominated the midfield.
Is Sneijder playing ahead of Carrick and Giggs a big improvement on Rooney playing ahead of the two, if at all? Yeah Rooney could play up front on his
own, but he'd touch the ball even less than he did in the final. Sneijder is a free role player, we need someone who plays deeper, who can control a game and get the ball to our players like Rooney. We can sign a Sneijder type player but it will be the same problem, getting the ball to that player who plays further up the pitch. Look at our games against Arsenal and Barca, we weren't lacking in that free role area as Rooney performed well when in possession, we were just overran and couldn't get the ball to him and the attackers enough.

Rooney is arguably the best number 10 around except for Messi, i'll have him at the tip of my midfield ahead of the likes of Sneijder/Ozil etc. We're more in need of central midfielders who can control the game from deep. The likes of Modric/Banega/Schweinsteiger would all be better buys in my opinion. Not saying they are better than Sneijder, just that they would benefit the team more.

VoetbalWizard

Is Sneijder playing ahead of Carrick and Giggs a big improvement on Rooney playing ahead of the two, if at all? Yeah Rooney could play up front on his
own, but he'd touch the ball even less than he did in the final. Sneijder is a free role player, we need someone who plays deeper, who can control a game and get the ball to our players like Rooney. We can sign a Sneijder type player but it will be the same problem, getting the ball to that player who plays further up the pitch. Look at our games against Arsenal and Barca, we weren't lacking in that free role area as Rooney performed well when in possession, we were just overran and couldn't get the ball to him and the attackers enough.

Rooney is arguably the best number 10 around except for Messi, i'll have him at the tip of my midfield ahead of the likes of Sneijder/Ozil etc. We're more in need of central midfielders who can control the game from deep. The likes of Modric/Banega/Schweinsteiger would all be better buys in my opinion. Not saying they are better than Sneijder, just that they would benefit the team more.
Ideally you need both. Sneijder | another deeper M | Carrick/Fletch.

That 'missing' piece #2 in midfield should/could be anderson. Perhaps. This coming season is "make or break" from the lad. Otherwise, we'll have to go to the market for two midfielders.

Sneijder isn't as '2nd striker' ish as van der vaart is for example.

As for wazza and the #10, why can't be play false 9 a la messi? He's done it before as he's dropped deep. Forget europe, but in the league when we played ronnie, tevez, and wayne together, wayne would drop false 9. Does having iniesta stop messi from being at the 'tip' of the midfield tons of times?

If you want to shoehorn hernandez as the cetnral striker, then wayne will have to play wide left. I agree, he struggles with this and can't be as flexible as someone like eto'o though wayne is just as naturally gifted if not moreso.

Ideally I'd like to see this:

Nani------Wayne-----Sanchez or Wayne----Hernandez---Nani/Sanchez

with a midfield of:

Sneijder, Ando/new signing, Carrick

Mind you, this doesn't have to be done ALL at once this off season. However over the course of two summer windows, I'd like the team to be able to go to this lineup for europe if fergie wants to win it back within 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.