Luis Nani | 2010/11 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
It's so hard not to compare the two of them but it's inevitable because they're the 2 best wingers in the PL.

But I still think Nani is superior and the only benefit Valencia offers ahead of him is in his defensive game, which is why he was used more in the run in last season, because let's face it, we had a 2 man midfield with a 37 year old in it.
Spot on. Strengthen our midfeld and Valencia wouldn't be starting such games ahead of Nani.

Jinn

Spot on. Strengthen our midfeld and Valencia wouldn't be starting such games ahead of Nani.
Or maybe both would start and the likes of Park would be benched.
I agree, need to strenghten midfield.

What you think the value of Valencia is at present? not suggesting we sell him, just curious to know.

Cold_Boy

Or Ferguson. He must be clueless.
When the feck has Ferguson said anything like that?

Typical of fans to make conclusion because of a 2 month period where Valencia was in form , Nani wasn't.

Both are on a similar level maybe but Nani has the potential to be the best in the world in future.

Shimo

Selling one of our best dribblers/flair players doesn't make any sense. When the team is chock full of functional players and Rooney/Giggs are the other best dribbling type players - selling Nani makes little sense.

Hopefully, this fairly long off-season for Nani will allow him to get mentally ready for the next season. I think in addition to the Carra tackle, he and Giggs had played a lot of games on the wings with both Park/Valencia out for extended periods. It probably affected his performances.

A good pre-season where he builds his confidence back to where it was prior to March and he'll be one of the best wingers in the league again. He definitely is a confidence player, hopefully boss will let him get that back early part of the season.

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
nan isi overall more effective, but valencia does things nani cant.

Aint gota Kalou

It's so hard not to compare the two of them but it's inevitable because they're the 2 best wingers in the PL.

But I still think Nani is superior and the only benefit Valencia offers ahead of him is in his defensive game, which is why he was used more in the run in last season, because let's face it, we had a 2 man midfield with a 37 year old in it.
Pretty much this. Playing with only two central midfielders, one of whom isn't naturally defensive always meant that Park and Valencia were going to start the big games. We would've been overrun if they hadn't.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Just curious, but why?

The media speculation?

There's no way in hell Nani would move to the Italian league, which leaves Real or Barca, who don't really need him.

Unless he wanted to take a step down in his career and ship back to Portugal.
I don't see Ashley Young as a Giggs replacement. Giggs hasn't played on the wing for a long time now. So who is he replacing?

Somehow I can't imagine we'll be able to keep Valencia, Nani, Park and Young happy. Nani also didn't need to talk about possibly playing somewhere else one day.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
When he's on form, most wingers are.
I agree. I am not criticizing Young, in fact, I think that he's a good talent who will come relatively cheap. However I wouldn't swap Nani with Young. The Portuguese int is a better player

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Nani has so much skill it's frightening.

His decision making has gotten so much better too. It still does need improvement and if it gets even better we are literally talking about the third best player in the world behind you know who.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Nani's got a long way to go before being anywhere near as good as Lord Voldemort. I think we get a bit carried away on here at times.

Tibs

I agree. I am not criticizing Young, in fact, I think that he's a good talent who will come relatively cheap. However I wouldn't swap Nani with Young. The Portuguese int is a better player
You forgot, he's English..means add 10 million to his actual value

UnitedRoadRed

Nani is frustrating and brilliant in equal measure. If he scores a screamer after 15 minutes, he spends the next 75 minutes trying to do it again when there are better options available to him. A dangerous player but could be so much better.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Nani is frustrating and brilliant in equal measure. If he scores a screamer after 15 minutes, he spends the next 75 minutes trying to do it again when there are better options available to him. A dangerous player but could be so much better.
Ronaldo was exactly the same

Cina

I don't see Ashley Young as a Giggs replacement. Giggs hasn't played on the wing for a long time now. So who is he replacing?

Somehow I can't imagine we'll be able to keep Valencia, Nani, Park and Young happy. Nani also didn't need to talk about possibly playing somewhere else one day.
We'd be more likely to get rid of a 30 year old Park than a 24 year old Nani.

I'm not fully sure who Young is replacing though, maybe not Giggs really. Though is he a replacement at all? He's not as good as Nani, or (arguably) Valencia so I'd say Park would be the one in trouble, unless SAF wants to keep him in more of a midfield role.

Young is versatile, I doubt he'd have to worry about game time given SAFs policy on rotation.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Anyone got Nani's assists/goals stat from the Hull game at OT till now?

ricky-romeo

i know he has 9 goals and 18 assists in the PL last season. should be 13 or 14 goals and around 25 assists since the hull game..just a guess....

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Can someone please explain to me why the media keep painting Young's arrival as a threat to Nani? If anything it s Valencia who should have a reason to worry. Young's arrival should mean Nani is free to operate exclusively on the right.
Yep, apparently having 4 wingers who can rotate almost freely (CENTR, left or right, with the exception of Valencia who doesn't play left) means that 1 of the best wingers will surely be sold! Plus it probably sells more papers, especially since out of form Nani was dropped towards the back end of last season. 2+2=22 rule.

ricky-romeo

the good thing is that we can rotate the wide players that we have.

park seems to be the player who is happy to start once every two or three games, given the energy he puts in when he is on the pitch, and now his age as well, should work pretty well with park and the team.

nani is much better when he is playing on the right, but he can play on the left. young can play on the left, on the right and even in an attacking central position as well.

valencia is perhaps the only wide player who is a bit limited with his versatility. but even he can play as an attacking midfielder as well.

there will be quite some exchanges and rotations with the wingers next season. i hope there is no selling anymore in this area, because at this moment we look very strong indeed with the sets of players that we got in this position.

let's go out and try to sign a central midfielder now...

charlenefan

i know he has 9 goals and 18 assists in the PL last season. should be 13 or 14 goals and around 25 assists since the hull game..just a guess....
Counting penalties won as an assist he got since the Hull game at OT

11 assists (09/10)
5 goals (09/10)

Add those to his 21 assists and 10 goals from last season that's a return of

32 assists
15 goals

the Hull game was in January 2010 so the above is his return for United in the last 18 months.

Just watched the 09/10 season review and worked it out :o

twitter thread suggester

Cina

Can someone please explain to me why the media keep painting Young's arrival as a threat to Nani? If anything it s Valencia who should have a reason to worry. Young's arrival should mean Nani is free to operate exclusively on the right.
Because Nani is and always has been extremely underrated by the media, who portray Valencia as somehow being a superior player to him.

I agree though, Nani can play both wings AND is better than Valencia on the right. He's definitely not who should be worried.

Kelvin

Manchester United will not be offloading Nani following Ashley Young’s £17m arrival at Old Trafford.

With Young signing a five-year contract with United yesterday, it has been suggested Nani’s time at the club is coming to an end.

Although the Portugal winger claimed more assists than anyone else in the Premier League last term, and was named United’s players’ player of the year, the return of Antonio Valencia from injury in March reduced his involvement.

Nani then failed to make Alex Ferguson’s starting line-up for last month’s Champions League final defeat to Barcelona, leading to fresh speculation about his future.

If he indicated a desire to leave United in the wake of Young’s arrival from Aston Villa, there would be huge interest across Europe.

However, whilst the 24-year-old’s thoughts on the situation have not been aired, Press Association Sport understands United’s stance to be of a club currently building a squad, a process that does not involve allowing what they regard as key men to leave.

There will be casualties, and it is hard to see Sunderland targets Darron Gibson and Wes Brown remaining beyond the end of August.

When his squad returns to training at the start of next month though, Sir Alex Ferguson will be assuring Nani of his position in the Scot’s plans for the future, and attempt to meet the challenge Barcelona set with their devastating performance at Wembley.

Certainly, Ferguson has been the most active of the big-name managers so far this summer and his spending will go beyond £50million once the deal for Atletico Madrid keeper David de Gea is completed.

De Gea will be part of the Spain side that attempts to secure the European Under-21 Championships by beating Switzerland tomorrow evening, after which it is expected the remaining loose ends of his transfer will be tied up.

Read more: United not looking to sell Nani | BreakingNews.ie

charlenefan

Of course we weren't going to offload Nani after his best season to date with us. Nani and Young on the wings next season IMO

Chrisjn

Valencia/nani/young - Rooney/young - Nani/young
------------- Hernandez/young/Rooney

valencia/nani - fletcher - carrick - nani/young
Rooney/berb/young hernandez/young

as someone above said, there is
no reason nani or young should worry about playing games as they are versatile and we roatate the squad so much, not to mention we will probably have more games next season inbthe carling cup.

I reckon nani would be frightning upfront too.

Chrisjn

charlenefan; said:
Of course we weren't going to offload Nani after his best season to date with us. Nani and Young on the wings next season IMO
...and Valencia.

Status
Not open for further replies.