Luis Nani | 2012/13 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
If we are playing nani in the diamond. I'd want him to be on one of the sides. That way he can still push out wide and give us a bit of width when required. It would also leave the central tip of the diamond for Rooney to play in as I don't really want to see Rooney pushed out wide in that formation.

Ash_G

What do you guys think would be Nani's best position in a midfield diamond formation, assuming he'll play in one?

I'd guess playing at the top of the diamond, I've been curious to see if he could be even more dangerous centrally.
I think he'd fit in to one of the wider areas better than kagawa but in general I would say we'd be better off in more of a 433 where nani and kagawa could play either side off rvp with Rooney playing at the tip of the 3 in the middle. Plenty of scope for fluidity through the middle, kagawa and nani can both drift without having to be as disciplined as a diamond.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I agree Ash, I was just curious if people through Nani was more likely to fit in as a midfield, striker, or in the quasi-striker/midfielder role at the top of the diamond.

I suspect we'll see plenty of Nani in the 4231.

Cina

If it's any guide, while most of Portugal's players were doing jogging and stretches after the weekend games. Nani and the others who didn't play trained more "intensely", so an injury seems unlikely. The Portuguese press seem to be talking as if everyone knows Nani's leaving United -with Italian clubs getting the most mentions.

One of them even completed the circle by saying we've offered Hernandez to Sporting, to buy James Rodriguez (see Wikipedia, it knows more about him than I do) to replace Nani.

I haven't seen/heard Nani say anything about it.
Sometimes I get the feeling that SAF just doesn't like him all that much.

adamwest

I would of thought it's become apparent that everythings not alright behind the scenes, I'd go as far as saying he's got one foot out of the club......
Do you know something we don't? Aside from articles in the mail and poor form in the first couple of matches there's nothing to go by. But if you'd go so far as to say he's got one foot out of the club I suppose I should believe you.

Adebesi

Early days yet, let's not get too ahead of ourselves.

Definitely a worry, but there is plenty of time for him to turn things around. He just needs to take his chance when it comes. His exile has not reached Berbesque proportions just yet.

adamwest

Nani is in danger of doing 'a Quaresma' and squandering his talent

Fresh from picking up the Players' Player of the Year trophy awarded to him by his team-mates, and with a third Premier League winner's medal in his pocket, the United winger looked ready to take the footballing world by storm.

Nani finished the 2010-11 campaign with 10 goals to his name, and comparisons with his United predecessor and compatriot Cristiano Ronaldo didn't seem too far-fetched. Like Ronaldo, he came through the ranks of Sporting's famed youth academy before catapulting to stardom at Old Trafford.

Eighteen months on, however, and Ronaldo is a bona fide footballing great, while Nani is facing something of a mid-career crisis. Medals and memories dull fast in football and, while his compatriot was busy breaking records at the Bernabeu last year, Nani endured an inconsistent, injury-ravaged season.

He did recover his fitness for Portugal's tilt at Euro 2012, starting all of the Seleccao's games as they reached the last four before losing to eventual champions, Spain.

However, while Ronaldo was taking the tournament by the scruff of the neck and gaining plaudits for match-winning performances against Netherlands and Czech Republic, Nani - though hardly poor - had a relatively quiet tournament.

The expectation was that Nani would take his game up a notch this season. Instead, he has been mired in contract wrangles - with United seemingly unwilling to extend the two years left on the winger's current deal - and controversy surrounding alleged fisticuffs with reserve team player Davide Petrucci.

A series of tepid displays, most notably against arch-rivals Liverpool at Anfield in late September, have seen the 25-year-old barracked by sections of his own fans and dropped completely from Sir Alex Ferguson's squad for the Reds' last league outing against Newcastle United.

To compound the winger's misery, Ferguson has recently hit upon a 'winger-less' midfield diamond - which he employed in the 3-0 win against Newcastle - which doesn't favour Nani.

Like Quaresma, Nani stands accused of often picking the wrong option - shooting when others are better-placed, for example - and neglecting to pull his weight defensively

So what's gone wrong? Has Nani's Old Trafford career turned irredeemably sour or can he recapture his form and fulfil his potential? His ability is not in doubt. He has a change of pace, fantastic feet and - as a goal nigh on every five games for club and country testifies - he is a match-winner.

However, sheer ability is not enough - as the career of uber-talented Portuguese winger, Ricardo Quaresma, clearly illustrates. Another product of Sporting's seemingly endless conveyor belt of superstars, the 29-year-old, now an outcast at Besiktas, was the undisputed golden boy of Portuguese football at the start of the millennium.

He burst onto the scene as a precocious teenager at the Alvalade and it soon became apparent that, technically, he had it all. He was genuinely two-footed with dazzling dribbling ability, a searing change of pace and great balance. By no means a footballing failure, he has won four Primeira Liga titles (one with Sporting, three with Porto) and played for European powerhouses such as Barcelona, Inter and Chelsea.

However, he has failed to hit the heights many predicted, largely due to his attitude and inflexibility. His footballing CV is littered with fall-outs with players and coaches, and - even at his peak - he has received regular criticism for his tactical indiscipline and a selfish streak that manifests itself in dribbling with the ball too often. It is also widely felt that he lacks good decision-making skills and has a 'blindspot' when it comes to picking the right pass.

Quaresma failed to address these gaps in his footballing DNA and is now regarded in his home country as a symbol of squandered talent. And there are definite similarities between the two. Like Quaresma, Nani stands accused of often picking the wrong option - shooting when others are better-placed, for example - and neglecting to pull his weight defensively.

Perhaps the biggest lesson Nani could learn from Quaresma is that to fulfil potential and evolve, players must be prepared to learn. Today, he looks to be the same technically gifted footballer he did a few years ago...but he doesn't seem to have fine-tuned the weaker areas of his game. The less he evolves, the more frustrated he, his coaches and his supporters are likely to become.

In contrast, the Ronaldos of this world are works in progress, constantly polishing their game both on and off the pitch. Jose Mourinho once said of Quaresma, when managing him at Inter: "He is a great talent, but...he will have to learn, otherwise he won’t play."

The same may very well be said for Nani.

Unnecessarily negative story here. Nani, for me, was Portugals stand out player at the Euro's yet this douche thinks he was "relatively quiet."

fanutd

Just need to wait for Nani to rise above this bad form he is in currently. Everything will be back to rosey as soon as he starts putting in the performances similar to last couple of seasons. With his level of talent and technique its only a matter of time.

OGkush

Hey man, got any papers?
I've no doubts about Nani and his ability to "turn good", what I do have unfortunately are my doubts about him staying. I hope to god his contract gets sorted before the end of the season.

MDFC Manager

The article says Nani is guilty of neglecting defensive duties...Thats a massive load of bollocks.

SATA

Was there any official reason on why he was omitted from the matchday squad at Newcastle? Is he included in the Portugal squad for the WC qualifiers?

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Because he just punched a teammate?
If he actually did, then that was before the Spurs game of which he played quite well in. To see him play no part in the following 2 games was quite baffling, unless he did pick up a knock and it would make sense. God knows what is wrong with our team, Lindegaard was injured too yet sat on the bench against Newcastle.

That article is daft, why does it keep comparing Nani to Ronaldo when Ronaldo is quite clearly better than any player in the world, more consistent than any player in the world bar Messi? Quaresma is a shit comparison too, he failed at every big club he moved too. Nani's played a big part of a successful United side for 5 years.

Cold_Boy

Because he just punched a teammate?
Did you hear that officially anywhere?

He played the next game after that story brokeout btw.

Also that article is rubbish.

Going through a bad form. Was very good at the Euros for Portugal ffs!

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
In the diamond he could easily play in one of the forward positions IMO. I wouldn't really like him in any of the midfield positions.

Care_de_Bobo

The article says Nani is guilty of neglecting defensive duties...Thats a massive load of bollocks.
I like Nani but that's fair to some extent, in the 4-4 with Everton I remember two of their goals coming from crosses from his side. Not entirely his fault we conceded the goals but I remember thinking Young or Valencia would have made a much better effort to close the crosses down.

Cina

I guess we'll see if he's starting for Portugal against Russia today then.

kiristao

I think Nani will do quite well in this new Diamond formation. Could replace Wellback with the rest of the line up staying the same. He is more than capable of playing on both wings, in the middle and sometimes has also played up top. He also tracks back quite well. He can also provide width if we start to get too narrow due to the diamond formation.

manusteve

I think Nani will do quite well in this new Diamond formation. Could replace Wellback with the rest of the line up staying the same. He is more than capable of playing on both wings, in the middle and sometimes has also played up top. He also tracks back quite well. He can also provide width if we start to get too narrow due to the diamond formation.
Yes, he COULD do this, he COULD do that. I don't think many actually think he DOESN'T have the talent.

He has had many opportunities in the past two seasons to make himself indispensable, and yet his periods of good form tended to be transitory. In my opinion, he does not show good form all the way through a season (incidentally, I did not agree with his being the club player of the season two seasons ago).

The surprise is not that he hasn't been playing, it will be if he plays when he is in a bad run of form.

manutddjw

Played the full 90 for Portugal against Russia.

He played good especially in the first half on the right. He easily went passed defenders, although his delivery was poor.

ralphie88

Played the full 90 for Portugal against Russia.

He played good especially in the first half on the right. He easily went passed defenders, although his delivery was poor.
The last minute corner he took didn't beat the first man I noticed. :D

Ash_G

Yes, he COULD do this, he COULD do that. I don't think many actually think he DOESN'T have the talent.

He has had many opportunities in the past two seasons to make himself indispensable, and yet his periods of good form tended to be transitory. In my opinion, he does not show good form all the way through a season (incidentally, I did not agree with his being the club player of the season two seasons ago).

The surprise is not that he hasn't been playing, it will be if he plays when he is in a bad run of form.
Did you agree with Valencia getting it last year? Last year Valencia up until January or so was playin pretty average and I think match day threads etc around the would reflect that yet this seems to be mostly forgotten now and I'm sure most would say he had a great season. Rooney has won it before without playing great all season. If you say they still produced well so did nani, a lot more than Valencia did last year, in fact even last year nani produced an equal if not better output than Valencia.

That's the thing few of our players really show great form over a season. No doubt nani has frustrated and continues to frustrate but he's still one of the best performing wingers around and even in an off season still managed to produce as much as our supposed star play of that season. I don't think it helps that some pundits fall back on lazy comments about nani that aren't really true anymore such as some of the ones mentioned above questioning his work rate, the guy who said he was average at the euros is having a laugh.

fanutd

That goal.com article which claims Milan are targeting Nani for a cut price deal of 12m :lol: :lol:

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
That goal.com article which claims Milan are targeting Nani for a cut price deal of 12m :lol: :lol:
Ever since the rumours started, he's always been linked with cut price moves away. I don't think I've seen many saying that there'll be a 25-30m+ offer for him from a certain club apart from perhaps when he was linked with Zenit.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Milan are stingy gits though, they always try get players on the cheap and rarely succeed. Not that I believe the story or anything, but it's typical of Milan these days.

Forevergiggs

I would hate if Milan or the team run by that one-eyed cnut Marotta are the only ones in for him. We won't get a very good price from them. 12-15m sounds about right.

Need some rich Russian or someone to bid for him. A swap with Malaga for Isco would be my choice.

Cold_Boy

I would hate if Milan or the team run by that one-eyed cnut Marotta are the only ones in for him. We won't get a very good price from them. 12-15m sounds about right.

Need some rich Russian or someone to bid for him. A swap with Malaga for Isco would be my choice.
12-15 mil for one the best wingers in the world?

Or is he a shit player now because of a few poor matches?

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the
Nani is up there with the best pure wingers in the world. He is worth 25-30 milliion should we be stupid enough to want rid

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
He won't leave United for more than £20m, lads.

He's a (very) good winger, but he's not world class and he'll never be.

Status
Not open for further replies.