Luis Nani | 2012/13 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloxy

Why does it always rain on me?
Nani was probably our best player against spuds but somehow still manages to annoy the life out of everybody. He has the skills which builds expectation but then almost always has a rush of blood and messes it up. I hope he stays with us though because he is still the one player that could hurt any team and the day that he gets his head right, I'd rather he play for us.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
He looks off form to me.

But he's not a player who will thrive in the knowledge that losing the ball basically means a free pass throughout our non-existant midfield. He's a player who should be the one who's alllowed to try difficult things, because he's got the tools to unlock a defence. He should be allowed to drift, shoot, try to flick people through and take men on.

Sort the fecking crossing out, though, will you?

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
He looks off form to me.

But he's not a player who will thrive in the knowledge that losing the ball basically means a free pass throughout our non-existant midfield. He's a player who should be the one who's alllowed to try difficult things, because he's got the tools to unlock a defence. He should be allowed to drift, shoot, try to flick people through and take men on.

Sort the fecking crossing out, though, will you?
His crossing was fine on saturday. It's the lack of options to get on the end of them that's the problem. Rvp and kagawa are not those players.

Cina

Yeah exactly, he was pinging lovely crosses into the six yard area, if Rooney was playing that high up he'd be loving them.

Cina

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19797114

Sir Alex Ferguson has defended Nani against accusations of diving but believes "particularly" foreign players are to blame for simulation.

Nani was criticised in the wake of the 3-2 defeat by Tottenham.

Ferguson said: "As a subject it is not worth going down because we have known for quite a few years there are plenty of players diving and, you have to say, particularly foreign players.

"Nani is not the type to dive. He has never been that type of player."

Ferguson's comments follow Sergio Aguero's claims that home players are treated better than foreigners by Premier League referees.

In April Ferguson, whose team face Cluj in the Champions League on Tuesday night, warned Ashley Young about diving.

But he insists referee Chris Foy was wrong to deny Portuguese winger Nani, 25, a spot-kick after the challenge from Spurs' Jan Vertonghen on Saturday.

Ferguson added: "It was a penalty kick on Saturday. Sometimes you get them, sometimes you don't. From the referee's position it was difficult because there were plenty of bodies in front of him."
Nice to see Fergie defend Nani, might help put the idea that he doesn't like him to bed a bit.

Cina

Probably all opposition fans because he has a Suarez-like reputation for diving despite not being remotely as bad at all.

Obviously it was a bit of a theatrical fall but it was a blatant penalty.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Vertonghen almost ripped his shirt off, don't know how the linesman missed it but ah well. Some you get some you don't.

OGkush

Hey man, got any papers?
Nice to see Fergie "stand up" for him.
Hopefully this is a sign of good things to come regarding Nani and his commitment to United.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I don't think Nani simulates half as much as he used to. He won't start getting penalties again though until he learns to fall better. Even when fouled, he goes down far too dramatically.

Sojiro

Formerly MST3K
"Sometimes you're not sure about a player,&qu
I don't think Nani simulates half as much as he used to. He won't start getting penalties again though until he learns to fall better. Even when fouled, he goes down far too dramatically.
I think thats the difference Bilbo, Nani does get fouled he just overreacts to it so he gets a bad reputation and doesnt get the calls when deserved

Cold_Boy

So who was suggesting that Nani dived then?

Presumably the ref, who was poorly placed to see the challenge or maybe the linesman.
:confused:

There is either a no dive or a dive, but a ref has to make his own judgment than go by fact.

Doesn't imply Nani dived.

Cold_Boy

I think Nani has always been a dramatic faller than a fake diver imo.(if that makes sense)

Cina

Injured?

Otherwise he must be in a bit of trouble if he can't even make the squad...

Bross

Noggie Pez Dispenser
Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle
Its a shame if hes out of favor/form or injured, because he really fits this kind of system we use today perfectly. He has the ability to do a job both centrally if he drifts inside and on the wing. Can score goals too, and does a bigger defensive job than he gets credit for. Would be perfect in place of Welbeck today. Not that Welbeck has been particulary bad, Nani is just a better player.

Ash_G

Think it would be odd for him to have been dropped given he was on the bench in midweek wasn't he? Reckon he has a knock. Tbh if he has been dropped I think it'd be harsh. Welbeck has hardly been good in most his games and squandered a lot of chances yet he still gets games.

OGkush

Hey man, got any papers?
My optimism about Nani staying gets weaker and weaker, it would be absolutely terrible if we sold him, but in all fairness it's not looking good at the moment.

Ash_G

Thing is as good as our play was for twenty mins or so the problems with our midfield/attack sorely lacking anyone who can beat a man cotributed to toon getting back into the game imo. They moved to a more compact unit, pressing is more an dmaking passing tougher, could use someone who can carry the ball. Look at Ben arfa and the problems he's causing whenever he gets on the ball. Could use a nani in there just to give something different.

Devil may care

Thing is as good as our play was for twenty mins or so the problems with our midfield/attack sorely lacking anyone who can beat a man cotributed to toon getting back into the game imo. They moved to a more compact unit, pressing is more an dmaking passing tougher, could use someone who can carry the ball. Look at Ben arfa and the problems he's causing whenever he gets on the ball. Could use a nani in there just to give something different.
That was exactly what I was thinking during the second half, in fact I was hoping for Anderson to come on for the same purpose. The thing is it is hard to shake the feeling that there is a problem with Nani and Fergie at this point, I mean him not even making the bench made no sense to me unless I missed an injury update.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Have we had any indication at all on why nani wasn't involved today from the club or SAF after the game?

Cina

It has to be an injury or something, seeing as he was finally coming into form before this game. No offense to Welbeck but there's no way he should be in the team in a formation like that ahead of Nani.

Stretch

If he gets picked for Portugal and plays then I will start to have some doubts
Why? He could actually be fit again in time for Portugal but was not for this weekend. I'm just saying.

Anyway, thought he'd have given us something extra yesterday. He can certainly be used in this diamond formation.

adamwest

He would have flourished in the system we employed yesterday. Hope everything's alright behind the scenes.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He would have flourished in the system we employed yesterday. Hope everything's alright behind the scenes.
I would of thought it's become apparent that everythings not alright behind the scenes, I'd go as far as saying he's got one foot out of the club......

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I actually disagree with this - Welbeck was our outlet ball when we lost possession. RVP dropped deeper, Danny went forward and gave us an option both aerially and down the channels.

Nani wouldn't have had that, unfortunately.

But should have been on the bench, for sure.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
feck, I hope things work out & he stays at United in the end, though at this moment that seems more unlikely with every passing day.

My biggest fear is if we do sell him, we sell him
on the cheap, in a market where you're paying over the odds for the Hulk's & Carrolls of this world. & if it is to happen (which I hope not), I just hope we reinvest the money on a Isco or someone. (probably Tom Ince in reality!).

Bloxy

Why does it always rain on me?
feck, I hope things work out & he stays at United in the end, though at this moment that seems more unlikely with every passing day.

My biggest fear is if we do sell him, we sell him
on the cheap, in a market where you're paying over the odds for the Hulk's & Carrolls of this world. & if it is to happen (which I hope not), I just hope we reinvest the money on a Isco or someone. (probably Tom Ince in reality!).
Or Dembele for 25million

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I like Nani. I think at his best he takes up a notch like our best players do. However, I don't think any of our players are irreplaceable. So if he goes he goes and I hope we spend good money to replace him because his flair and dribbling ability is something we don't have in our squad.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
If it's any guide, while most of Portugal's players were doing jogging and stretches after the weekend games. Nani and the others who didn't play trained more "intensely", so an injury seems unlikely. The Portuguese press seem to be talking as if everyone knows Nani's leaving United -with Italian clubs getting the most mentions.

One of them even completed the circle by saying we've offered Hernandez to Sporting, to buy James Rodriguez (see Wikipedia, it knows more about him than I do) to replace Nani.

I haven't seen/heard Nani say anything about it.

GledTheRed

If it's any guide, while most of Portugal's players were doing jogging and stretches after the weekend games. Nani and the others who didn't play trained more "intensely", so an injury seems unlikely. The Portuguese press seem to be talking as if everyone knows Nani's leaving United -with Italian clubs getting the most mentions.

One of them even completed the circle by saying we've offered Hernandez to Sporting, to buy James Rodriguez (see Wikipedia, it knows more about him than I do) to replace Nani.

I haven't seen/heard Nani say anything about it.
Hames plays in Porto

Ash_G

Unless there are internal issues it'd be a shame to sell him imo. Right now we have a team that with a little bit longer too settle in could be great and nani fits right in to that. He's not quite hit the high levels we know he can in the last year but a lot of that has been down to injuries and the team in general not being at its best. But with us seemingly going for a more fluid system nani can play a big part and offers something very different to most our other players. If we were to sell him and bring in another young winger we'd have to go through the whole thing of integrating them to the pl, the team and refining their game. With nani we just need him to avoid any lengthy injuries and find some form.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
What do you guys think would be Nani's best position in a midfield diamond formation, assuming he'll play in one?

I'd guess playing at the top of the diamond, I've been curious to see if he could be even more dangerous centrally.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I'd reckon Nani wouldn't necessarily fit into the "diamond, but probably "1 of the 2" up top, drifting all over the place i.e. the "Welbeck" position against Newcastle or even thinking back to the dominant Milan side - the "Kaka" position (though if memory serves me correct, Kaka played more centrally, ala Kagawa or Rooney?).

Ideally I'd like to see:

-----------------RvP

-------Kagawa (tucked in a bit)------------Nani

-----------------Rooney

----------Cleverley-------Carrick

A "different" spin on the diamond if you can see what I'm getting at. I think having someone like Nani or Valencia out wide is imperative to stretch the defence and give the likes or Rooney, RvP and Kagawa space to operate in (with the added benefit of playing Nani means we can still allow all our attackers to rotate).

Also, our LB is going to need to provide the width, but with Cleverley in midfield, i think we have the legs to cover his position sufficiently.

I think we saw something close to this formation against Spurs in the 2nd half.

Against stronger teams, away from home though, I'd probably go a lot more conservative and throw on another midfielder Scholes/Anderson/Fletcher in place of either Kagawa or Nani/Valencia.

Thank god im not the gaffer!

Status
Not open for further replies.