Luis Nani | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Just not dependable enough for me. I think Moyes is going to be looking for more consistency, especially in his first season at the club. And so Nani represents somewhat of a gamble. Sensational on his day, but utter gash at other times. Sadly our wing options are a bit poor to be honest, and I can't see us relying on Zaha. Expect a signing in this department.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I still think it's up to Nani whether or not he stays. If he has no interest in signing a contract extension, he'll be off.

Moyes would be a bit crazy to shaft him, should he want to stay.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I'm hoping that he sees Moyes as a fresh start and a chance for him to really push on.

Don't know though, it might be too late and his mind may be made up.

Goooose

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but does anyone think that the Rooney situation could have a positive effect on Nani? I hope Moyes wipes the slate clean for him as well. With Rooney possibly on his way it would be brilliant to see Nani step up and finally be the player we all know he can be.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
This had better be bull shit. Selling nani and keeping Valencia or young makes no sense, especially for 12m euros!

Nani heading to Galatasaray for 12m Euros.

Reports from turkish media suggest that Nani is on his way out of Old Trafford.

The portuguese winger has had a mix season at United and has never really established himself in the first team and with the new boss Moyes in charge his days are numbered.

Galatasaray manager Fatih Terim believes that Nani would be a perfect fit for the club, a club that already has Wesley Sneijder and Didier Drogba in it’s ranks and who did quite well in the Champions League this season.

Nani was sold to Manchester United for €25.5 million from Sporting Lisbon, five percent of which was paid to Real de Massamá. He passed his medical on 6 June 2007,and signed a five-year contract a month later, joining Portugal team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo—with whom he lived for a time at the start of his Manchester United career—at the club.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
People seem to forget that it was said Nani was the one who wanted out, he wasn't signing the contract United was offering him. Yet, some think its totally United's decision.

Annahnomoss

People seem to forget that it was said Nani was the one who wanted out, he wasn't signing the contract United was offering him. Yet, some think its totally United's decision.
Where is the logic in this? Nani is on the wrong for not accepting Uniteds terms - United are in the right for not accepting Nani's terms.

Not sure how this turned out to be logical in your head, what you said later makes sense though as anybody who thinks its totally Uniteds fault are also very biased.

Mersault

Didn't SAF say it was about starting games. Surely Moyes needs to address that situation. But 12m euros, that's funny

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Where is the logic in this? Nani is on the wrong for not accepting Uniteds terms - United are in the right for not accepting Nani's terms.

Not sure how this turned out to be logical in your head, what you said later makes sense though as anybody who thinks its totally Uniteds fault are also very biased.
Logic? Didn't realise I was using any in this scenario. Not sure where you're coming from. United offered Nani a contract, and he supposedly declined it. Why shouldn't United not be in the right for not accepting Nani's terms. Say United offered, I don't know but for the sake of this situation we'll say, £125k a week. Nani declines, says he wants £150k a week. Should United suddenly go "Ok sure".

United > Nani. If Nani doesn't want to accept what United are offering him, then bye bye Nani. He's a top player, and an exciting one at that, but he isn't the type to which we should be totally flexible with. If RVP wanted £50k more a week when we signed him, then I'd be up for that. Then again, that's my opinion. There are people on this forum who rate Nani as world class.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Logic? Didn't realise I was using any in this scenario. Not sure where you're coming from. United offered Nani a contract, and he supposedly declined it. Why shouldn't United not be in the right for not accepting Nani's terms. Say United offered, I don't know but for the sake of this situation we'll say, £125k a week. Nani declines, says he wants £150k a week. Should United suddenly go "Ok sure".

United > Nani. If Nani doesn't want to accept what United are offering him, then bye bye Nani. He's a top player, and an exciting one at that, but he isn't the type to which we should be totally flexible with. If RVP wanted £50k more a week when we signed him, then I'd be up for that. Then again, that's my opinion. There are people on this forum who rate Nani as world class.
I think they have finally died a death after this season!

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Nani was quality for a couple of seasons. He reckons he's the swinging dick, but he's not. We bought him for roughly £18 million in '07, we've got six equally frustrating and great years from him. £12 million isn't too bad a selling fee as some believe, especially with his contract running down.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
It was no longer working between Nani and United. Maybe Moyes could turn that around but he's got bigger fish to fry, as the saying goes, than tending to Nani's bloated salary appetite. Selling him to a Turkish club -- where presumably that shitbag referee cuneyt or whatever his name is -- would be a nice way to end this.

A great talent, but Nani has always been a bit fukked in the head and thus so something of a disappointing footballer.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Nani is a world class talent, but not a world class footballer. He is supremely talented, naturally gifted. So comfortably two footed, sublime control, increidble skill, wonderful striker of the ball. It's just unfathomable how he's not world domineering terror. When he turns up, the boy cannot be stopped, then he has other games where he's Cruyff-turning 5 times before 3 markers corner him on the touchline and he gets tackled, then hoofs his crosses into the windows of the executive boxes. I really hope he stays, but I can't see it happening.

Is it just a myth that he doesn't get on with Rooney at all? If true, it'd be daft if we lost both of them in one summer. Perhaps losing Rooney would help Nani settle. Rooney always seems to be at his throat, and even slagged him in a post-match interview.

Devil may care

I don't want to see Nani go but it seemed likely he would and Moyes coming in doesn't change anything.

Amir

In a different situation the simple thing would be for Nani to get a clean slate with Moyes. But with his contract situation, I'm not sure it's even something we'd contemplate.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I don't want to see Nani go but it seemed likely he would and Moyes coming in doesn't change anything.
I dunno. Maybe a change of manager could change things for Nani. For all we know, Fergie and Nani could have had a stormy relationship. Perhaps players who had an eye on the exit may be looking to stay and impress a new manager. It's a fresh start for everyone. It's certainly a possibility.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It was no longer working between Nani and United. Maybe Moyes could turn that around but he's got bigger fish to fry, as the saying goes, than tending to Nani's bloated salary appetite. Selling him to a Turkish club -- where presumably that shitbag referee cuneyt or whatever his name is -- would be a nice way to end this.

A great talent, but Nani has always been a bit fukked in the head and thus so something of a disappointing footballer.
fecked in the head? :houllier:

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
fecked in the head? :houllier:
Yeah, fukked in the head.

First, the pointless and excessive movements on the ball when a simple pass will more than do. Okay, maybe not such a big deal that he gets stripped after holding the ball too long and running into dead ends. Second, feigning indignation at every single call that doesn't go his way. At some point, you have to start acting like a man, not a teenybop fan of Katy Perry. Third, ridiculous inconsistency. You're allowed to have the oddball bad game, but relentless no-shows are not fitting of a United man. Fourth, demanding a massive wage increase in the wake of a thoroughly forgettable season.

We know about his alent. That's never been in question. But it's precisely because he has so much talent that when you see him squander his energy complaining and rolling around on the pitch as though he's been shot by Lee Harvey Oswald you just have to ask, WTF?

binary bot
I still believe he's perfectly consistent for a winger when given a run of games, we seem to never give him the run of games that we give Valencia.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Selling 2 of our 5-6 best players is a great start for Moyes to deal with.

If the club is sticking to playing wingers then it should work on keeping Nani. You won't get a better one. That's for sure.

Cina

So, to clarify, you're making an argument about him thinking he's worth a sum of money you made up but the club is actually only offering a sum of money you made up in order to argue why United > Nani.

Yeah, fukked in the head.

First, the pointless and excessive movements on the ball when a simple pass will more than do. Okay, maybe not such a big deal that he gets stripped after holding the ball too long and running into dead ends. Second, feigning indignation at every single call that doesn't go his way. At some point, you have to start acting like a man, not a teenybop fan of Katy Perry. Third, ridiculous inconsistency. You're allowed to have the oddball bad game, but relentless no-shows are not fitting of a United man. Fourth, demanding a massive wage increase in the wake of a thoroughly forgettable season.

We know about his alent. That's never been in question. But it's precisely because he has so much talent that when you see him squander his energy complaining and rolling around on the pitch as though he's been shot by Lee Harvey Oswald you just have to ask, WTF?
Incidentally, when exactly is the last time you recall him doing this? Just out of curiousity.

I think they have finally died a death after this season!
Strange thing to say, when he was at his best he was world class (or however you define that). Torres is shit now but that doesn't mean he wasn't world class in his prime either.

Nani was quality for a couple of seasons. He reckons he's the swinging dick, but he's not. We bought him for roughly £18 million in '07, we've got six equally frustrating and great years from him. £12 million isn't too bad a selling fee as some believe, especially with his contract running down.
What gives you that impression?

It's 12m being quoted, by the way.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I still believe he's perfectly consistent for a winger when given a run of games, we seem to never give him the run of games that we give Valencia.
Correct.

People criticise Nani's form and fail to mention or account for the fact that he has been limited to the odd sub appearances here and there, when was the last time he started 2 games on the trot? He barely even got played for 90 minutes.

Compare this with Valencia who seems to have some serious dirt on Fergie, thats the only way I can justify his constant selection despite bafflingly bad performances.

When Nani was playing consistently for us, which was 18 months ago, he was performing consistantly and stat-wise for goals and assists was one of the most productive players in the league.

Lailiani

(Sadly not) Banned
Ditto. He's immensely talented and I've never stopped believing in him. That said, I don't know whether United is the right club for him and whether Moyes is able to bring the best out of him. Nani is one of the few points where I've never understood Fergie's decisions.

Devil may care

I dunno. Maybe a change of manager could change things for Nani. For all we know, Fergie and Nani could have had a stormy relationship. Perhaps players who had an eye on the exit may be looking to stay and impress a new manager. It's a fresh start for everyone. It's certainly a possibility.
It is but I also think that Moyes will talk to Fergie about the current squad and get background on the players from him, if Fergie advises him that Nani should be moved on I think Moyes will follow that advice.

Shimo

Selling for 12m euros would be retarded - in addition to selling him period.

Hope (To Be Sir) Moyes will keep him and use him regularly next season.

Claymore

Nani is arguably the only real skillful flair player we have, certainly one of a few. We should be holding on to these players and sure he's had an injury hit season and been rotated all over the place but its not as if he has never shown us a solid season, because he has.

Anderson, fair enough, always injured but Nani is more than worth keeping and if he played him every game I reckon he'd be awesome again. Young and Valencia, Park in the past, just don't compare to this type of player. Hope Moyes keeps him.

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
Nani had been underwhelming in his stay so far at United besides a good 18 month period somewhere in the middle. After 6 years and at the age of 26 you'd expect a player to have established themselves at the club. Nani certainly hasn't and we are still waiting for him to realize his "potential". The fact of the matter is that Nani is not going to improve much from here. If he stays here, we'll continue to see sporadic brilliance followed by prolonged periods of frustration. He doesn't have the ability or the mentality to produce the goods consistently, the trait which differentiates a good player from a class performer.

They had the ability and hence the reason we kept Anderson and him here for 6 years. Though the writing is clearly on the wall now, it is time for them to move on.

It would be a miracle if we could get more than €15m for him with one year left on his contract.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Nani had been underwhelming in his stay so far at United besides a good 18 month period somewhere in the middle. After 6 years and at the age of 26 you'd expect a player to have established themselves at the club. Nani certainly hasn't and we are still waiting for him to realize his "potential". The fact of the matter is that Nani is not going to improve much from here. If he stays here, we'll continue to see sporadic brilliance followed by prolonged periods of frustration. He doesn't have the ability or the mentality to produce the goods consistently, the trait which differentiates a good player from a class performer.

They had the ability and hence the reason we kept Anderson and him here for 6 years. Though the writing is clearly on the wall now, it is time for them to move on.

It would be a miracle if we could get more than €15m for him with one year left on his contract.
In what was has Nani not established himself?
You could argue that for Anderson, as he never seems to be able to play more than 5 games in a row, but Nani was about as key a player as we had for a few seasons.

His top form would be our best winger by a mile. He's also been hurt by having to play on the left which reduced his impact a bit.

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
In what was has Nani not established himself?
You could argue that for Anderson, as he never seems to be able to play more than 5 games in a row, but Nani was about as key a player as we had for a few seasons.

His top form would be our best winger by a mile. He's also been hurt by having to play on the left which reduced his impact a bit.
In the sense that he didn't feature regularly in Sir Alex's plans.

It unfair on Valencia and Young to suggest that "on form" Nani is a mile ahead of them. On form, Valencia has is pretty unstoppable. Young also has the ability to create and score goals from the left. Also, on form doesn't mean much, the ability to hit that "form" consistently is what matters.

Rossa

My biggest concern with the possibility of Nani leaving is that there aren't many wingers who are better than an in form Nani. Some may argue about Robben and Ribery, but they are hardly young and promising anymore. In the past they have been just as inconsistent as Nani too.

If we sell Nani, it will probably be for peanuts, which will make Downing's signing (and that of Young) seem even more ridiculous, but we will stand no chance of signing another player of similar quality for a similar amount.

Nani is very, very quick, has great technique, can score some cracking goals and has great link-up play, when in form. He is our only player who can go past two or three players and make something on his own. Why would you sell someone like that if he doesn't want to go?

I still think Young will be nothing more than a squad player; he's a good player, but not much more. Therefore I would rather keep Nani and buy someone like that McManaman at Wigan as back-up.

Hopefully, Moyes will inspire Nani to sign a new contract.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
It looks like Moyes MIGHT be giving Rooney another chance to stay. I think we should do the same with Nani. Just get him to sign the bloody contract. He has been injured most of the season and the time he has played, its been good and bad. He deserves another chance just because of the quality he possesses. And we wont be making any profit if we sell Nani now. We should keep him and if things dont work out then we can sell next summer or two summers from now for a good price.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I can't see Moyes letting him go.
He's towards the end of his contract and he hasnt delivered the goods on a regular basis. We've got too many players who hasnt produced on a week in week out players and considering how much Moyes insist on having a hard working team, Nani is a likely candidate of leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.