g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Luis Nani | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It looks like Moyes MIGHT be giving Rooney another chance to stay. I think we should do the same with Nani. Just get him to sign the bloody contract. He has been injured most of the season and the time he has played, its been good and bad. He deserves another chance just because of the quality he possesses. And we wont be making any profit if we sell Nani now. We should keep him and if things dont work out then we can sell next summer or two summers from now for a good price.
Ah this posts keep popping up every summer especially in the Nani and Ando threads.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
He's towards the end of his contract and he hasnt delivered the goods on a regular basis. We've got too many players who hasnt produced on a week in week out players and considering how much Moyes insist on having a hard working team, Nani is a likely candidate of leaving.
Eh excuse me? He has been injured quite a lot this season and he had a couple of bad games he started after that and a couple of good games. Did you not see how consistent he was these past two seasons?

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Not even if we buy another wide player?
Yes. Nani is a Moyes type player. Remember he once had a Russian named Bilyatedinov at Everton who was similar and he loved using him.

With Moyes in charge I believe its Valencia who should worry. I doubt Nani will be played out of position on the left again to accommodate him. I wouldn't be surprised to see even a Zaha over take Valencia next season.

gamma1

It’s sad to see the current situation unfold with regards to Nani. Some fans appear to be going through a phase of selective amnesia. A few have elected not to acknowledge Nani’s transformation from a notably frustrating, inconsistent winger when he arrived into a more regular, valuable part of the first team which began to occur during the mid-phase of the 09/10 season. His staunch detractors believe that all his key contributions to our campaigns since then never actually happened and all those willing to give Nani a second chance are blind followers. The high productivity levels he attained in terms of assists and general creativity can be easily verified.

When it comes to identifying the root causes for the current predicament he faces over his United future, the decision to reject the contract extension offered last summer can be considered as a significant factor. Perhaps taking the club hostage for a more lucrative deal wasn’t the wisest thing to do under the circumstances, further damaging the way he was viewed by Sir Alex and leading to subsequent, needless marginalization within the squad. During the few, rare matches that he was given the chance to start, the level of performance he displayed on most occasions was subpar from what he usually delivered in peak settings, partly because of the mental effects stemming from the botched contract negotiations. Persistent injury woes have also been major impediments which disrupted the season for him, cruelly thwarting any opportunity he had of regaining top form. Given how Nani heavily relies on his confidence to impact the game, the low confidence he displayed on the pitch is another factor to consider when assessing why he had such a disappointing season.

Overall, although all signs seem to indicate that Nani is heading for the exit door this summer, I would be delighted if we were to somehow hold on to him and help him rediscover his previous at times unplayable form under a new manager. Besides, with the recent news about Rooney deciding to take his trade to greener pastures, losing Nani concurrently would significantly weaken our attacking unit.

He's towards the end of his contract and he hasnt delivered the goods on a regular basis.
Nani has delivered the goods, in the last 3 seasons, on a better basis than any of our current wingers.

We've got too many players who hasnt produced on a week in week out players
Under Ferguson? Yes. Under Moyes? No. We have no one who has performed or under performed in his tenure. Thus many of Moyes own ideas about our players might surprise a few on here.

and considering how much Moyes insist on having a hard working team, Nani is a likely candidate of leaving.
I doubt it. Here's why:

1. Nani has never been a lazy player. He does his fare share of tracking back and has a top notch work rate. ( as evidence vs Madrid before the ill fated red)That alone will make Moyes like him.

2. Moyes has always liked attack minded players as wingers. i.e Bilyatediniov, Pienaar, Arteta, Osman etc Nani is in that mould.

IMO the only way Nani will be leaving is if he himself feels he has had a enough of our benching him this season and doesn't believe Moyes will give him a fair chance. Meaning he will refuse to renew his contract and United will have no choice but to sell.

For there is nothing in Moyes managerial record that tells me he'd prefer the likes of Valencia over a Nani.

Rossa

Yes. Nani is a Moyes type player. Remember he once had a Russian named Bilyatedinov at Everton who was similar and he loved using him.

With Moyes in charge I believe its Valencia who should worry. I doubt Nani will be played out of position on the left again to accomodate him.
Nani played out of position on the left? He's just as much a left winger as a right winger and has actually stated that he prefers playing on the left. Bizarre statement.

I do agree, however, that Moyes may want him to stay. Brilliant player at his best.

Nani played out of position on the left? He's just as much a left winger as a right winger and has actually stated that he prefers playing on the left. Bizarre statement
It really isn't' bizarre at all. He is superior player on the right than he is on the left. Even for Portugal he is consistently excellent on the right. Whilst on the left he floats from sublime to frustrating.

On the left he cuts in a bit too much, slows down often and always tries to score which takes away from his creativity. Basically he tries to be Ronaldo like yet it just isn't him. Yet on the right, however, he concentrates on what he is best at, play making/creating cahnces.

Thus, the reason why I call it ''out of position'' is that he is simply more efficient/effective on the right. He can be brilliant on the left like we saw vs Bayern the other year they knocked us out in Europe. But IMO I do not think its a coincidence that even Portugal have permanently left him on the right with CR7 on the left.

IMO Nani's biggest problem has been SAF''s love for having Valencia on the right flank.

devilish

Nani has delivered the goods, in the last 3 seasons, on a better basis than any of our current wingers.

Under Ferguson? Yes. Under Moyes? No. We have no one who has performed or under performed in his tenure. Thus many of Moyes own ideas about our players might surprise a few on here.

I doubt it. Here's why:

1. Nani has never been a lazy player. He does his fare share of tracking back and has a top notch work rate. ( as evidence vs Madrid before the ill fated red)That alone will make Moyes like him.

2. Moyes has always liked attack minded players as wingers. i.e Bilyatediniov, Pienaar, Arteta, Osman etc Nani is in that mould.

IMO the only way Nani will be leaving is if he himself feels he has had a enough of our benching him this season and doesn't believe Moyes will give him a fair chance. Meaning he will refuse to renew his contract and United will have no choice but to sell.

For there is nothing in Moyes managerial record that tells me he'd prefer the likes of Valencia over a Nani.
a) Considering the 'quality' we've got on the flanks, you're probably right.

b) I dont know Chief. Moyes may work that way or he may consider SAF's handover and what he saw on the pitch and decide to get rid of the dead wood. We've got a manager who had never win anything. He's a hardliner who had always insisted on workrate and consistency and he'll be desperate to win. Would he rely on players who had consistently let the team down? I dont know

Mainoldo

With Moyes in charge I believe its Valencia who should worry. I doubt Nani will be played out of position on the left again to accommodate him. I wouldn't be surprised to see even a Zaha over take Valencia next season.
Similar to Mirallas. I think Moyes will get the best out of him. He however needs to sign a contract for this to happen.

hungrywing

Nani played out of position on the left? He's just as much a left winger as a right winger and has actually stated that he prefers playing on the left. Bizarre statement.

I do agree, however, that Moyes may want him to stay. Brilliant player at his best.
Just in case lurkers/guests read that and think it's true.

Pretty sure in one of the big Nani threads it was covered many times how he said he prefers playing on the right.

Platato

Psst!
We'll find out in the next few weeks I'm sure. We really can't afford to have any transfer sagas with Moyes coming in. I would like to him to have ample time to work with the squad and not worry about needless distractions. I think we'll see some changes in the next few weeks. With the news about Rio setting to sign a new contract, I'm sure there will be a few others to follow. I just get the sense, the club aren't messing about this summer.

Shark

@NotShark
Moyes will want to keep him IMO and I don't blame him, Nani is a quality winger and I personally don't want to see him go.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Moyes will want to keep him IMO and I don't blame him, Nani is a quality winger and I personally don't want to see him go.
It is possible the decision has already been made about Nani so i reckon Moyes will have no say on this matter.

Name Changed

weso26
I have no idea what Moyes will do. It really depends on who is allowed sign. I'd rather we kept Nani.

devilish

Going by this, he'd get rid of every attacker we have apart from RvP and Rooney seeing as Nani has a higher goals/assists output than any of them in the last three years.

Let the team down? Mother of god.
Apart from Carrick, no one in our midfield can say that he deserves to be a Manchester United first teamer and I hope that its the area Moyes will focus on.

Nani laziness and bad decision making were the main reason why he lost his first team place. Talent wise he's mint.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I'm firmly in the "keep Nani" camp.

He is more dangerous than Young or Valencia, he is only only real flair player who isn't afraid to take his man on and try something different. He offers something different.

Secondly, he has shown he can deliver consistently. The stats posted in the article earlier back this up, his goals and assists ratio is superior to Valencia for the last 3 seasons - which includes last season where Valencia was regarded as being on top of his game.

Nanis career since he joined united has been an odd one - he failed to perform for the first couple of seasons, but then for the next three (the 3 prior to this) seasons he started to deliver consistently. He was one of our most productive players a couple of seasons ago and whenever he has had a run of games he has done well. Despite this he still has the tag of being the mercurial, inconsistent winner who hasn't filled his potential.
I agree he hasn't filled his potential, because he has the potential to be one of the best in the world. This may still happen but he is still a better option than Young or Valencia.

Franky it smells like an example of Fergie essentially freezing out a player because either of personal differences, or to "prove a point", or because they won't sign a contract. These are areas where I feel Fergies conduct can be bordering on unprofessional. I imagine Nani may well have signed a new deal if he had been getting gametime this season. As it stands we have been playing a drastically out of form Valencia ahead of him, and then wonder why he isn't keen to commit himself for another 4 years?

Hopefully Moyes will come in, play Nani as the first choice winger that he should be, and it will be a fresh start. I am absolutely confident that if this happens then Nani will once again show his level of ability.
Similarly, if we do sell him I have absolutely no doubt that he will go to another club, get played consistently and perform well - leaving some deluded United fans thinking "why couldn't he do that for us" and others like me just being annoyed that we let him go.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Apart from Carrick, no one in our midfield can say that he deserves to be a Manchester United first teamer and I hope that its the area Moyes will focus on.

Nani laziness and bad decision making were the main reason why he lost his first team place. Talent wise he's mint.
Alright, so on what basis did Valencia & Young retain their places? That is a bullshit explanation of why he didn't play more football this season.

Also, he's had a lot of injuries this season, I think he's injured at the moment too & that's why he missed the last 2 games of the season.

devilish

Alright, so on what basis did Valencia & Young retain their places? That is a bullshit explanation of why he didn't play more football this season.

Also, he's had a lot of injuries this season, I think he's injured at the moment too & that's why he missed the last 2 games of the season.
erm you missed this? Apart from Carrick, no one in our midfield can say that he deserves to be a Manchester United first teamer and I hope that its the area Moyes will focus on.

I've got nothing against Nani. He's one of the most talented players we've got. However he's lazy and his decision making often let him down. My point is that I wont be suprised if he leaves

a) he may not want to sign a new contract

b) Moyes like to surround himself with hardworking players

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
erm you missed this? Apart from Carrick, no one in our midfield can say that he deserves to be a Manchester United first teamer and I hope that its the area Moyes will focus on.

I've got nothing against Nani. He's one of the most talented players we've got. However he's lazy and his decision making often let him down. My point is that I wont be suprised if he leaves

a) he may not want to sign a new contract

b) Moyes like to surround himself with hardworking players
No I saw that, but you then singled out Nani, when equal and/or worse could be applied to the other 2 wingers who got a lot more chances.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
With time passing we might actually have a better chance to keep Nani now than we did a year ago. There's definitely a place for him in the squad, no doubt about it at all, but after a season of being left out basically the whole time he'll find it tough to find a top European club who would offer him first team football and £80k+ a week wages. He could probably go to Russia or Turkey and earn that much but I'm sure he'd rather continue his career at top level. I'd say we're going to offer him a deal soon.

devilish

No I saw that, but you then singled out Nani, when equal and/or worse could be applied to the other 2 wingers who got a lot more chances.
I apologise for focusing on nani in this nanis thread

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Nani should stay really...can't see any sense in moving him on unless we have a Bale/Ronaldo type signing...

Even then I'd personally keep him in front of Valencia or Young, and I can see the benefits of both of those players.

devilish

How the feck is Nani lazy?
He rarely backtracks or made himself available for the team. I've been watching the games life on 5 occasions in the past few years. He was the laziest of the lot.

He's got talent though. On his good day he's as classy as Ronaldo. But he's inconsistent.

Godfather

He better stays. Or we line up someone huge to replace him. A season with Young and Val as our only wingers....fecking hell

binary bot
Is it bad that I don't care if he stays or goes? Same with Rooney.
Losing him and Rooney would require some big signings. RvP, Kagawa and Giggs aside, our midfield and attack won't stand up well to Chelsea, and City with the obligatory big spending that will occur this Summer.

RvP
Young/Zaha/Valencia - Kagawa - Young/Zaha/Valencia
Carrick - Cleverley

b) I dont know Chief. Moyes may work that way or he may consider SAF's handover and what he saw on the pitch and decide to get rid of the dead wood. We've got a manager who had never win anything. ....
Moyes is a hard but fair manager. Every player on our books will get a fair chance to prove themselves. IMO the only ones who will leave are those ala Rooney who really want to.

Nathan

I think the Player in this instance Nani must recognise that he hasnt had the best of seasons through injury. When he has had the opportuntity to play he has showed a glimpse of what he is capable of.

I think he should stay and fight for his place.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
So thats PSG, Monaco, Juventus and Gala in for him? Hopefully they start a bidding war and we can get a good price for him.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
His agent is Jorge Mendes, every player that has signed for Monaco so far has been a Mendes client. Seems a good bet that he will go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.