Luis Suárez

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lance Uppercut

I do? Ok.
Too much? Okay. Can you be critical of him in any way? Your club foolishly stood by him, and were made a laughing stock. He subsequently tried to force a move to Arsenal. I have heard from Liverpool fans that this was acceptable, as Arsenal were in the Champions League.

Liverpool are now also in the Champions League, and he's trying to force his way out again. You seem to be fine with this. I find it strange.

C'est Moi Cantona

Much as he's a liability at times, he is utterly irreplaceable to Liverpool, i'm amazed they aren't trying harder to keep him, £60-£70 million is nothing when they come to replace him given players like Cavani are rated at £50 million +, can only assume the release clause has given them no choice.

C'est Moi Cantona

Does he want to stay?
Very doubtful, but not always relevant, he wanted out last year but they made him stay, without him they might not have made top 4 so it was a wise decision, for my money unless they somehow get a top striker from somewhere then they are going to struggle again.

Let the good times roll!

BorisontheRock

As good a player Suarez is, he is a liability. Technical ability and physical prowess are two of three key cornerstones to be a top athlete, the third being mental ability and temperament. Suarez is excellent technically, he seems as if fit a butchers dog, rarely injured etc but mentally he is suspect. Even taking the biting and racism aside Suarez loses it mentally, he loses his sharpness and if you can frustrate him enough he'll either, lose the plot, lose focus, or go Stevie me and try and do it all himself... Any of these being better for the opponent than a focused, calm Suarez. Take the last Chelsea game for example, Suarez was getting wound up with Chelsea crowding him out, time wasting etc, and the effect was that Suarez dropped deeper, held onto the ball longer, went wide to try and force the issue. Compare this to any of the greats, and specifically Ronaldo and messi, mentally and temperament wise they are top notch, the take abuse and come right back, cool and focused, as much as Ronaldo has fits of histrionics, he blocks them out the minute play restarts and is back to being cool. Suarez is a step below because whilst his feet might be as good, his head is in a lower class entirely.... These comment on RAWK make me laugh, at the end of the season he was in third place behind Ronaldo and messi, after two WC games, two goals against a suspect England defence and a bite, he's now on a par and 3 years off the best player in the world, ever.... Never mind Ronaldo and messi have been stellar for 8+ years won all there is in the club game and Suarez has had 18 good months including 2 bites, won feek all, well real trophies...it's generous to place him in those battling for third.

L666KOP

Re: Luis Suarez (Not Bale, Not Chelsea, Not Spurs!)
« Reply #4395 on: Today at 01:38:19 AM »

Quote from: The 92A on Today at 01:07:11 AM
Think that just about sums it up for me. I'm older than you and agree with you , he could do the impossible and make the wrong right, it's been a privilege to watch him and I think he's the best player on the planet at the moment, would love to keep him but totally trust Rodgers to improve the team, Totally relaxed about the situation
See, this is where you and I are in agreement mate, if he does another 3/4 years at Barcelona like he's done for us in the last 2/3 years he won't be talked of with the likes of Messi/Ronaldo, he'll be in with Maradona and Pele.

There's lots on here will hang me for it, but some of the things he does on the pitch come so naturally to him, 'we' haven't got the vision/mental capacity/nerves to try.

Unfortunately, what makes him the best player on the planet, and it really upsets me to say it, because my club isn't enough is what will do for him in the end.

Rivarly/Bias aside though, he'll never be loved like he was here, and I'm sure Fernando will qualify my statement.

One thing as fans we do do, is chuck out heart and souls into our players.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
Suarez's legacy at Liverpool:

A racism scandal that tarnished the name of the club, turned a significant number of the fans into rabid quasi-racist morons, and destroyed the reputation of a club legend.

Two biting incidents, again largely retaining support and loyalty, which he charmingly followed up with two engineered exit strategies, one of which was to a Premier League rival.

It's poetic that everyone's last memory of him in a Liverpool shirt will be him leaving the pitch in tears at Crystal Palace. That's the other side of his legacy - zero trophies.

I know there are pondlife sections of the support who would've defended him no matter what, but I do wonder if the otherwise decent fans, who decided they'd willingly embarrass themselves, all in the name of defending a player because he happened to be good at football, regret their choices.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Much as he's a liability at times, he is utterly irreplaceable to Liverpool, i'm amazed they aren't trying harder to keep him, £60-£70 million is nothing when they come to replace him given players like Cavani are rated at £50 million +, can only assume the release clause has given them no choice.
Yeah,who do they replace him with? They found Torres at Athletico, Suarez at Ajax, will they strike gold again.?

FromTheBench

They haven't been linked to any other strikers have they so far ? All attacking Mids.

Origi seems the only other one they are signing but loaning him back to Lille. I imagine they will need another striker on top of that or they will be terribly dependent on Sturridge.

Sanchez can play as a striker i guess, but doesn't seem they are getting him anyway.

Midnight1811

Suarez's legacy at Liverpool:

A racism scandal that tarnished the name of the club, turned a significant number of the fans into rabid quasi-racist morons, and destroyed the reputation of a club legend.

Two biting incidents, again largely retaining support and loyalty, which he charmingly followed up with two engineered exit strategies, one of which was to a Premier League rival.

It's poetic that everyone's last memory of him in a Liverpool shirt will be him leaving the pitch in tears at Crystal Palace. That's the other side of his legacy - zero trophies.

I know there are pondlife sections of the support who would've defended him no matter what, but I do wonder if the otherwise decent fans, who decided they'd willingly embarrass themselves, all in the name of defending a player because he happened to be good at football, regret their choices.

Didn't he win the COC cup with liverpool?

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Daniel Sturridge.
Had an excellent season last year, only bettered by Suarez really which meant he got on with his work without the attention that most English players who get into the 20s would get.

Big season coming up. Glad he plays for Liverpool.

Cina sucks

On probation. Man Utd'll Never Walk Alone
:lol: Sturridge isn't anywhere near the quality of Suarez. He's a very good, exciting player. But misses far too many chances in front of goal IMO.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
:lol: Sturridge isn't anywhere near the quality of Suarez. He's a very good, exciting player. But misses far too many chances in front of goal IMO.
:lol:

Misses too many chances. You are out of your straw quota for the day my friend.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
This.
He wont get the space without Suarez and it will be easier to push him on to his right foot.
That is extremely insulting to him, Coutinho and most of all our true genius: Rodgers.

But it seems to be national straw clutch day today so knock yourself out.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
That is extremely insulting to him, Coutinho and most of all our true genius: Rodgers.

But it seems to be national straw clutch day today so knock yourself out.
Clutching at straws was thinking Suarez would stay or Sanchez would go to Liverpool.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
You'll change your tune after you see him without Suarez for a season.
As might you.

Sturridge, who was Liverpool's chief threat prior to Suarez's return last season, is a dynamic striker who scores a variety of goals. His role in the team will be far greater without Suarez. The wishful thinking that he will become ineffective is a stretch in my mind.

In fact, the general tubthumping tone on here since the season's end has been how United will be back challenging and Liverpool will be scratching around for 5th or 6th. Does no part of last season in any way, shape or form plant even the smallest seed of doubt that the United fan dream scenario may not quite come to pass?

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
He's right though, pretty much every Sturridge goal came from a Suarez assist last season. Go back and watch his goals and you'll see.

As it stands you guys have a midtable strike force which consists of Sturridge, Lambert and Borini.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
As might you.

Sturridge, who was Liverpool's chief threat prior to Suarez's return last season, is a dynamic striker who scores a variety of goals. His role in the team will be far greater without Suarez. The wishful thinking that he will become ineffective is a stretch in my mind.

In fact, the general tubthumping tone on here since the season's end has been how United will be back challenging and Liverpool will be scratching around for 5th or 6th. Does no part of last season in any way, shape or form plant even the smallest seed of doubt that the United fan dream scenario may not quite come to pass?
To be fair getting rid of Moyes, replacing him with LVG and Suarez leaving Liverpool is a huge swing our way. If Liverpool fans are honest its huge.

bleedred

Liverpool to draw Barcelona and Suarez to score a hat-trick at Anfield. Imagine the meltdown...

SonnyTheHaloPro

As might you.

This makes no sense, Last season was purely down to one David Moyes! That is why a lot of United fans thin we will finish higher than Liverpool and rightly so once Moyes is out of the equation.

In 2013 we finished on 89 points, if we done the same this year we would have been champions again. In your best season since however long, you still couldn't match our 2013 points tally. Nor could City or Chelsea. So no, it isn't stupid to assume we will be back next year under a good manager at all.

Lance Uppercut

I don't think we'll "be back" next season. We will have a new manager, with new players, very likely playing an unfamiliar system. Top four is the height of my ambition for next season.

SonnyTheHaloPro

Well I'm glad our manager doesn't share your low ambitions, especially after spending the supposed "war chest". Van Gaal will go after the league, regardless of what some fans think.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
This makes no sense, Last season was purely down to one David Moyes! That is why a lot of United fans thin we will finish higher than Liverpool and rightly so once Moyes is out of the equation.

In 2013 we finished on 89 points, if we done the same this year we would have been champions again. In your best season since however long, you still couldn't match our 2013 points tally. Nor could City or Chelsea. So no, it isn't stupid to assume we will be back next year under a good manager at all.
Nothing like pride...just as long as the fall doesn't follow.

Essentially my point is that last season appears to have been banished from the memory. Of course Moyes' role was important but there's also the possibility that the spell has been broken since a ferguson left. United are now like all the other big teams who change their managers in the hope it's the panacea to all their ills. It just seems a bit simplistic that United will be good again without the possibility that LvG might not get it right. He might be great, but it's an unknown.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
The 'we'll automatically be back' from Man Utd fans is about as deluded as the 'we won't miss Suarez like a hole in the head' from Liverpool fans. Fight it out for 4th with Spurs and Everton.
It's less deluded than the "we'll be champions" narrative you've been babbling about for the last five seasons.

We're not Arsenal.

SonnyTheHaloPro

Nothing like pride...just as long as the fall doesn't follow.

Essentially my point is that last season appears to have been banished from the memory. Of course Moyes' role was important but there's also the possibility that the spell has been broken since a ferguson left. United are now like all the other big teams who change their managers in the hope it's the panacea to all their ills. It just seems a bit simplistic that United will be good again without the possibility that LvG might not get it right. He might be great, but it's an unknown.
Fair enough, but do you really think Liverpool will challenge after selling your best player?

Status
Not open for further replies.