Luka Modric / Signs for Real Madrid

Cina

They're not far superior, they just have more talent than him. We also need a Modric type more than we need a Sanchez type.

Don't get me wrong here, I'd love either of those 2 lads, they're both going to be pure class, BUT Modric is PL proven, he'd fit in perfectly straight away (which we desperately need) and I think he's the sort of player we need right now, where as the other 2 (Sanchez especially) aren't quite as needed.

SAF has a policy in recent years of buying proven Premiership players if he needs them straight from the get go, which is why Modric is more likely.

Though with the price of all 3, Charlie Adam is most likely... scary thought.

Ekeke

I'm not sure he even meant Pastore or Sanchez when he said there are better players than Modric. He could easily mean Sahin and Banega, more comparible players. But you're right though the difference is more talent.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Im not his greatest fan. The tabloids are the only ones who really go over the top about him. Everyone else just considers him a very good player. Nothing more, I would worry a bit if we signed him.

Chrisjn

We are never going to be signed Charlie Adam :lol:.

I personally would love to see Modric at Old Trafford, I fail to see how he wouldn't strengthen our midfield tenfold. He hard working, full of grit, great on the ball, can pass and has a good football brain; the perfect midfielder for us.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Spurs would rob us of at least 30million for Modric. They always find a way to get a massive fee for their players. Is he worth 30million? Questionable imo.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Im not his greatest fan. The tabloids are the only ones who really go over the top about him. Everyone else just considers him a very good player. Nothing more, I would worry a bit if we signed him.
Here, here!

SATA

Don't want him anywhere near OT. Anderson will end up a better player suited to United more

Anyway, can Modric play in a midfield 2? He seems too meek to do so

Chrisjn

Yes he can, however like many have said, Tottenham will not sell for any less than £30m.

Donkey's Ears

Modric would obviously significantly improve our midfield but I don't think he is the perfect choice. I agree with the criticism of his lack of productivity in the final third and he is prone to ball watching when defending.

I'd rather take Banega and reserve more cash for Sanchez. Modric, for me, porbably isn't worth the significant Spurs/Premiership/Long Contract premium we'd have to pay.

Be delighted if we got him mind. I'm just talking theoretically.

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
Don't want him anywhere near OT. Anderson will end up a better player suited to United more

Anyway, can Modric play in a midfield 2? He seems too meek to do so
Do you actually watch him though mate, he is not meek and he is very suited in a 4-4-2.

'Arry has been playing 4-4-2 all season with VDV dropping in deep... Modric plays the creative force in the Centre pairing up with either Huddlestone or Sandro or Palacios at times...

He plays his role perfectly, wanders forward nicely too and his close control and dribbling is excellent, makes the right passes at the right time too ! He also has a decent shot which he hasn't been able to utilize much this season... But his main role is to keep Spurs ticking in MF and he has been doing that.

He might not be the best player out there but if we were to look for a PL proven player who would suit our 4-4-2, definitely Modric will have the less risk as he's played there for almost 2 seasons now and has done well.

Oh, in saying that his dribbling skills are superior to Anderson too, but with less power and pace but he is a very good player.

And for me, he's underrated defensively too, he does his fair share of pressing and he is actually very good at intercepting passes. His stamina levels are very impressive and he can last a full 90 minutes running up and down the park...

RedThaiDevils#7

Modric would obviously significantly improve our midfield but I don't think he is the perfect choice. I agree with the criticism of his lack of productivity in the final third and he is prone to ball watching when defending.

I'd rather take Banega and reserve more cash for Sanchez. Modric, for me, porbably isn't worth the significant Spurs/Premiership/Long Contract premium we'd have to pay.

Banega wouldn't solve our MF problems about creativity though mate, he is a good player, box-to-box if you like and does his fair share of creativity, but in the final third of the park, Modric's flair and dribbling would be a lot more suited to our style.

Banega can replace Hargreaves if he wants, but if we're talking for a Scholesy type who will give us the creativeness in a 2 man MF, Modric is a better option obviously. Not considering the price here...

Chrisjn

How much do we actually need Sanche though?

Sounds like a bit of muppetearing.

We have Nani, Valencia, Park, Fabio, Rafael, Obertan, Bebe, Giggs and Fletcher who can all play on the wings.

I think a CM is more important right now.

SATA

He plays his role perfectly, wanders forward nicely too and his close control and dribbling is excellent, makes the right passes at the right time too ! He also has a decent shot which he hasn't been able to utilize much this season... But his main role is to keep Spurs ticking in MF and he has been doing that.
I say let's save the money and give Anderson time. He'll do all of that in a United shirt as he matures along

RedThaiDevils#7

I can understand the Sanchez muppettery though, he's been blazing hot these past months and would definitely give Valencia/Nani our first choice wingers a go...

And Rafa and Fabio won't be considered first team wingers after just 1 game there so give them a bit of rest.

If we look at it from another prospect, only Nani/Giggs/Valencia would provide us the usual width we need and Park as excellent as he is doesn't provide that cutting edge in attack and he is aging.

Still though, I agree that CM is our first priority and if Scholes doesn't sign a new contract along with Hargreaves, we will definitely be in the transfer market this summer.

SATA

Reckon Park will play more in central midfield especially in Europe as he nears his 30s. Bebe won't make it, Obertan is a toss of the coin. Sanchez and Nani/Valencia will make a awesome trio sorted for the next 6-7 years.

RedThaiDevils#7

I say let's save the money and give Anderson time. He'll do all of that in a United shirt as he matures along
Thinking of a Ando/Modric/ DM in a 4-3-3 was definitely on my mind.

If we're gonna consider the money in every conversation, then lets forget about any good players that are currently playing for a good squad and wait for SAF to surprise us again then.

Chrisjn

Sanchez does look fantastic, but he is not our number one priority. He will cost a fortune and of course City, Madrid and Chelsea will be sniffing about. We need someone who can do a job in midfield untill Anderson starts to fire, and cover for Scholes first. We also need another Centre back and a goalkeeper.

It's definatley going to be an interesting summer.

Donkey's Ears

How much do we actually need Sanche though?

Sounds like a bit of muppetearing.

We have Nani, Valencia, Park, Fabio, Rafael, Obertan, Bebe, Giggs and Fletcher who can all play on the wings.

I think a CM is more important right now.
CM is the priority for sure but I think it's more about control and the ability to retain possession under pressure. Banega could do that for sure.

Sanchez could play anywhere across the front three and would really open up space as his pace and ability would draw so much attention. He's tough, he's consistent, he's not an arrogant prick and he scores goals. His final ball is often lacking but then much the same is true of Nani.

RedThaiDevils#7

CM is the priority for sure but I think it's more about control and the ability to retain possession under pressure. Banega could do that for sure.

Sanchez could play anywhere across the front three and would really open up space as his pace and ability would draw so much attention. He's tough, he's consistent, he's not an arrogant prick and he scores goals. His final ball is often lacking but then much the same is true of Nani.
His not consistent, he has been picking up form but he's form hasn't been like this for the past 2 seasons...

Sanchez would be a great signing, but maybe not our top priority unless we get him for less than 22m.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We are never going to be signed Charlie Adam :lol:.

I personally would love to see Modric at Old Trafford, I fail to see how he wouldn't strengthen our midfield tenfold. He hard working, full of grit, great on the ball, can pass and has a good football brain; the perfect midfielder for us.
I think Adam is actually a realistic target. He won't cost a fortune, there is a fairly good chance that Blackpool will go down this season, Ferguson seems to like him and we have a good relationship with Holloway who praises us all the time. I think he is the most realistic target among midfielders at something like £10m.

Donkey's Ears

His not consistent, he has been picking up form but he's form hasn't been like this for the past 2 seasons...

Sanchez would be a great signing, but maybe not our top priority unless we get him for less than 22m.
He's been more consistent than some of the other suggestions (Hamsik, Pastore etc).

Obviously a lot of this depends on our budget and the price of different players, but I think we could get what Modric offers cheaper from other players.

And I don't know why everyone is trashing the Adams talk. He might not improve the 1st XI hugely but I'd be happy to have in the squad.

Chrisjn

I think Adam is actually a realistic target. He won't cost a fortune, there is a fairly good chance that Blackpool will go down this season, Ferguson seems to like him and we have a good relationship with Holloway who praises us all the time. I think he is the most realistic target among midfielders at something like £10m.
There's way to many question marks over him for me to be honest. Not to mention he is probably the fattest Premiership play after Frank Lampard.

I think SAF's talk of Adam is simply to push up his asking price for someone more likely to buy him like Liverpool or Everton. United is above his level IMO. He has been fantastic for Blackpool but did nothing for Rangers and is untried in Europe.

Also at Blackpool everything goes through him, he is there focal point and I don't think he would be anywhere near as effective at United.

RedThaiDevils#7

He's been more consistent than some of the other suggestions (Hamsik, Pastore etc).

Obviously a lot of this depends on our budget and the price of different players, but I think we could get what Modric offers cheaper from other players.

And I don't know why everyone is trashing the Adams talk. He might not improve the 1st XI hugely but I'd be happy to have in the squad.
Its quite hard to compare players who play in different positions so I won't debate you on that as I've only watched the players mentioned around 7-10 games...

Anyhow, I do agree that there Adam is too underrated here, he has been putting in fine shifts and who would have known that he would be this good...

RedThaiDevils#7

There's way to many question marks over him for me to be honest. Not to mention he is probably the fattest Premiership play after Frank Lampard.

I think SAF's talk of Adam is simply to push up his asking price for someone more likely to buy him like Liverpool or Everton. United is above his level IMO. He has been fantastic for Blackpool but did nothing for Rangers and is untried in Europe.

Also at Blackpool everything goes through him, he is there focal point and I don't think he would be anywhere near as effective at United.
I'm just saying, the season we signed Carrick, Carrick showed no where near as much form as C.Adam put in.

You can say he's unproven etc... but he has superb for a poor Blackpool side and his set piece and long passing has been excellent. Any team would be lucky to have him at around 10m.

marrakoosh

I'm just saying, the season we signed Carrick, Carrick showed no where near as much form as C.Adam put in.

You can say he's unproven etc... but he has superb for a poor Blackpool side and his set piece and long passing has been excellent. Any team would be lucky to have him at around 10m.
He's certainly a good player but as many have said I think he's not United level - here's why...

Firstly, he was poor at Rangers. From what I have read, this is because his work-rate for the team was quite poor. Why might this be? Perhaps because he was a cog, part of the team. Not a big fish in a small pond. Just a fish in a pond.

Secondly, at Blackpool he DOES have the team built around him. How they play is basically using whatever he is good at. And because of this he's a big fish. I get the feeling he works hard for Blackpool not because he wants to, but because he should as said big fish. I'm not saying he's lazy, as I don't think he is, but his motivation to work may not be quite what you want.

At United, he would go back to being a cog. I don't believe (or would I ever want) United to be built around C Adam. His talents would be appreciated, but not revered (as they are at Blackpool) and as such I think he'd go back to being relatively poor. Maybe he'd be a Carling Cup Champion and when surrounded by reserve and youth players, may then show something that he has at Blackpool - but for first team, week-in, week-out; I don't think he'd do it.

Of course I'd be happy if I was absolutely 100% wrong and we bought a player for £10m who turned into an integral part of our midfield (with the midfield also being able to compete on a world level - as opposed to not right now).

RedThaiDevils#7

He's certainly a good player but as many have said I think he's not United level - here's why...

Firstly, he was poor at Rangers. From what I have read, this is because his work-rate for the team was quite poor. Why might this be? Perhaps because he was a cog, part of the team. Not a big fish in a small pond. Just a fish in a pond.

Secondly, at Blackpool he DOES have the team built around him. How they play is basically using whatever he is good at. And because of this he's a big fish. I get the feeling he works hard for Blackpool not because he wants to, but because he should as said big fish. I'm not saying he's lazy, as I don't think he is, but his motivation to work may not be quite what you want.

At United, he would go back to being a cog. I don't believe (or would I ever want) United to be built around C Adam. His talents would be appreciated, but not revered (as they are at Blackpool) and as such I think he'd go back to being relatively poor. Maybe he'd be a Carling Cup Champion and when surrounded by reserve and youth players, may then show something that he has at Blackpool - but for first team, week-in, week-out; I don't think he'd do it.

Of course I'd be happy if I was absolutely 100% wrong and we bought a player for £10m who turned into an integral part of our midfield (with the midfield also being able to compete on a world level - as opposed to not right now).
I don't really understand the comparisons made from his old club, I mean he was still 20-22 and might not have been ready, certainly I've never watched him during his Rangers time...

To compare him as a big fish/small fish what ever might be logic, but still be a bit too underestimating, Blackpool certainly doesn't have that team fixed in as a team built only around Charlie Adam, they have a productive striker in DJ Campbell, his overall game might not be good but his contributing with some goals and has done well trying to hold up play and stretch the defense, they've got a good winger in Luke Varney and he'll even get into that Liverpool side with his current form.

If you've watched C.Adam, its not just about his corner kicks and his set plays and penalties, its his open play where he's long ball usually finds his team mates which give Blackpool the curring edge in attack and counter attacking...

He opens the play from him and also does a good shift defensively even though he looks a bit fat, I love watching Blackpool play with their positive attitude towards the game, they are similar to a growing United in a way where its all about teamwork and attack, their Defense is shit and its the only thing holding them back this season, they will lose 3 goals but will try to score 5 and they have a never dying attitude.

So for me, if he hasn't played for us yet, I'll reserve my judgement for now and will judge him based on what I've seen...

For what is worth, he'll definitely give our MF a run for their money

FranklyVulgar

I've got a pretty little mouth underneath all the
The main difference between C.Adam at rangers and C.Adam at Blackpool is quite simple really.

At rangers he was pretty much played out wide all the time.

At blackpool he's played in the middle of the park.

Not rocket science to realize a player with little pace isn't a winger.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
To be fair, Adams is a good player, but we'll only know whether he can cut at a big club when he actually goes to one. A lot of players look better than they are are lesser clubs, because everything they do looks that much better. Not that it is easier. It's actually easier to perform with real quality around you, but only if you are actually good enough for that level.

Like a Valencia will look better at United. But Ben Foster will look better at a lesser club.

BaldwinLegend

Like a Valencia will look better at United. But Ben Foster will look better at a lesser club.
I see the point you're trying to make but that's honestly total garbage.

Firstly, one's an outfield player and one's a goalkeeper which makes breaking through at United a totally different proposition.

Also, Valencia had copious PL experience and had played for Ecuador in World Cups. Foster had, literally, barely played professional football. For someone heralded as a nailed on Nr 1 from the minute he arrived, he had the sparsest of CV's with which to take on such pressure.

I disagree with all this 'he's found his level at Birmingham' nonsense - he'll be at a bigger club in 4-5 years time, if not sooner, and I'll bet he'll be performing at that level too.

stand_free

The main difference between C.Adam at rangers and C.Adam at Blackpool is quite simple really.

At rangers he was pretty much played out wide all the time.

At blackpool he's played in the middle of the park.

Not rocket science to realize a player with little pace isn't a winger.
Nail.On.Head.

I'm sure he also struggled being in the Glasgow gold-fish bowl too.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
If we ever wanted to sign Charlie Adams, SAF won't ever have tried to increase his price by saying that "His Corner kicks are worth 10Mil alone"

Man-United

True, that was just because Liverpool were interested in him :lol:

But I like him as a player, don't think he would do bad at United.

Ekeke

Banega wouldn't solve our MF problems about creativity though mate, he is a good player, box-to-box if you like and does his fair share of creativity, but in the final third of the park, Modric's flair and dribbling would be a lot more suited to our style.
Stunning claim since Banega is the one with a record of unlocking defences - and from a midfield duo, whilst Modric has yet to prove he can do so.

RedThaiDevils#7

Stunning claim since Banega is the one with a record of unlocking defences - and from a midfield duo, whilst Modric has yet to prove he can do so.
What is his record though ? 3 assists ? What has he proven, mostly when I watch him, he's much more of the destroyer than the unlocker... He does though provide that through ball from time to time...

Modric though is the player that keeps Spurs ticking, links up their defense to attacks with his great passing... Not Scholes like, but his ability in the final third when he drags 2 players to him and makes the pass to find another team mate is what I like about him... His ability on the ball and his dribbling sense is a bit better, not by much but I've seen more of Modric attacking and infront of the penalty box compared to Ever...