Luka Modric

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I thought Jenas looked like a superstar compared to Denilson. I've seen quite a few Gooners around the web trying to defend Denilson, saying he's much better than people and the media are giving him credit for - well, he certainly didn't show that yesterday.
Yeah, Denilson was Liam Milleresque in his anonymity.

Jenas really stood out though. But not in a good way.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Luka Modric is a cnut
Lukaaaa, Lukaaaa
Luka Modric is a cnut
Who looks like a lesbian woooman

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I thought Jenas looked like a superstar compared to Denilson. I've seen quite a few Gooners around the web trying to defend Denilson, saying he's much better than people and the media are giving him credit for - well, he certainly didn't show that yesterday.
You think?

On the ball I thought he was wasteful, but off it I thought he was impressive.

Obviously not what you want in a midfielder, but still impressed me.

He has a great engine, and a great sense of timing his runs, and he closes down players brilliantly. But he's too wasteful on the ball at times, and I'd be surprised if he did prove himself good enough to start every match for Arsenal.

Not a bad squad player though, IMO.

Brwned

What you say is true. It's not that Palacios just sits in front of the back 4 (he doesn't) or that Jenas stays ahead of him at all times (he didn't) ... it's just that IMO Palacios will naturally take - and be more suited to - a more defensive role and Jenas a more attacking role, but there are no hard and fast distinctions: both players have great engines and will cover a lot of ground between them.

Calling it 4-4-2 or 4-1-3-2 doesn't really matter that much in terms of the actuality.
Yeah, I agree.

Wasn't aiming that at you really either, just something which comes up on here a lot and I find pretty bemusing.

4-2-3-1, 4-4-1-1, 4-1-3-2, anything to sound a bit more exotic rather than your boring 4-4-2.

Hopes for where you'll finish this season?*

*Not an attempt at taking the piss in the future or now, but genuinely interested.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
.... Hopes for where you'll finish this season?*

*Not an attempt at taking the piss in the future or now, but genuinely interested.
Given the background of just 2 points from our first 8 games, I don't care that much where we finish as long as it's above the bottom 3. I reckon we'll finish on around 43 points, which should be enough.

As for hopes: a cup trophy and a finish comfortably above the relegation zone would be good from where we are now.

twitter thread suggester
You think?

On the ball I thought he was wasteful, but off it I thought he was impressive.

Obviously not what you want in a midfielder, but still impressed me.

He has a great engine, and a great sense of timing his runs, and he closes down players brilliantly. But he's too wasteful on the ball at times, and I'd be surprised if he did prove himself good enough to start every match for Arsenal.

Not a bad squad player though, IMO.
I thought he was very weak, and it didn't look like the Denilson which Gooners have been describing the last couple of weeks.
I might have been somewhat blinded by how rubbish he was on the ball, but he just looked like the same old Denilson who failed to impress me last season.
Then again, Song isn't the ideal partner, and playing with 10 men certainly didn't help his case either.

But yeah, I very much doubt he'll ever be good enough to hold a starting place in the Arsenal team, that is if Arsenal have any hopes of doing betetr than they have been doing this season.

Brwned

Given the background of just 2 points from our first 8 games, I don't care that much where we finish as long as it's above the bottom 3. I reckon we'll finish on around 43 points, which should be enough.

As for hopes: a cup trophy and a finish comfortably above the relegation zone would be good from where we are now.
Not as optimistic as I'd thought you'd be Glaston, I'm surprised.

I think you'll find it tough to get a cup trophy, although the Uefa Cup is still a possibility, and I'd expect you's to finish 9th, behind Chelsea, Everton, West Ham and City.

Brwned

I thought he was very week, and it didn't look like the Denilson which Gooners have been describing the last couple of weeks.
I might have been somewhat blinded by how rubbish he was on the ball, but he just looked like the same old Denilson who failed to impress me last season.
Then again, Song isn't the ideal partner, and playing with 10 men certainly didn't help his case either.

But yeah, I very much doubt he'll ever be good enough to hold a starting place in the Arsenal team, that is if Arsenal have any hopes of doing betetr than they have been doing this season.
Eh?

I know more than a few Arsenal fans, at least 100, who think of Denilson as a massive weak link in the team to the extent he's the second biggest scapegoat in the team, behind Eboue.

They're as unimpressed with him as we are, I think.

twitter thread suggester
Eh?

I know more than a few Arsenal fans, at least 100, who think of Denilson as a massive weak link in the team to the extent he's the second biggest scapegoat in the team, behind Eboue.

They're as unimpressed with him as we are, I think.
Like I said, I've seen quite a few Arsenal fans on various forums the last few weeks who's been trying to fight the impression which us rival fans and the media have of Denilson.
Granted, they're not the smartest bunch, but as I hadn't watched Arsenal the last month except for the FA Cup game, then I was kind of looking forward to seeing if he had improved just a tad.

Those fans certainly didn't think of him like they do with Eboue, or how Liverpool fans look at Lucas.

Brwned

Like I said, I've seen quite a few Arsenal fans on various forums the last few weeks who's been trying to fight the impression which us rival fans and the media have of Denilson.
Granted, they're not the smartest bunch, but as I hadn't watched Arsenal the last month except for the FA Cup game, then I was kind of looking forward to seeing if he had improved just a tad.

Those fans certainly didn't think of him like they do with Eboue, or how Liverpool fans look at Lucas.
Interesting, on the Arsenal forum I go on they're overly critical of him, most of them want him sold.

Funny how much opinions can differ.

twitter thread suggester
I think you'll find it tough to get a cup trophy, although the Uefa Cup is still a possibility
That's awfully confident of you, Brwned.
We're of course the favourites against Tottenham in the League Cup finale, but it almost sounds as if you've dismissed any chance of Tottenham beating us on the day.

Brwned

That's awfully confident of you, Brwned.
We're of course the favourites against Tottenham in the League Cup finale, but it almost sounds as if you've dismissed any chance of Tottenham beating us on the day.
No Palacios, no Keane and Spurs lack the right balance in midfield and attack.

So yeah, I have to say I'm pretty confident about the match.

davisjw

Song was a lot closer to scoring than Palacios and over the 90 was just as good despite playing mostly with 9 others. I thought yesterday was evidence that Palacios isn't really top 4 material.
Palacios completely dominated the game! He was the top rated on BBC. He's the key to unlocking Modric's potential as Modric needs freedom to run about and make things happen and Palacios will give him that by picking up the mess. Fantastic buy from them and I think their most important of the transfer period.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
He was good today. Lack of either Fletcher or Carrick today made it easier for him though.

Alex

He was dec, thank feck Palaciois didnt play he is a bad ass that said Zokora was shockingly goodf todya

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Ronaldo-Gibson-Scholes-Nani...

I saw that and figured it was going to be a full attacking match for both sides. Modric had far too much time on the ball and when you give any player worth their salt that much time on the ball they'll look great. Had Carrick and/or Fletcher (or Hargreaves) been playing I doubt he'd have looked so good.

uae

Desperately wants a tagline under his name
If he was a patch on Scholes, don't you think Spurs would play him in the centre of the park rather than shunting him out onto the left wing?

Brwned

He is the only one capable of replacing Scholes.
Scholes can defend. He can't.

It's a crazy comparison.

It's like comparing Gary Neville to Leighton Baines. Oh, wait...

uae

Desperately wants a tagline under his name
Bollocks if he was half as good as Scholes is in the centre of the park he would play there week in week out.

vuc

First Team Serb
What's all the Modric hate, he played well today. Beat his man, passed it around, was generally all over the midfield. Not too sure why everyone seems to think he was poor today.

Produced a lovely dummy to set up Lennon who Foster did brilliantly to deny too. Had that gone in then Modric would be praised for the dummy.