Luka Modric

Brightonian

As things stand if offered Modric or Anderson I know who I'd take. And I suspect the vast majority of fans of other top clubs would say the same.
Ok, but the club isn't being offered a straight choice. United has Anderson, and has invested lots of time and money into him. Modric is being suggested as a pipe-dream transfer from Madrid less than a season after they bought him.

As things stand if offered a choice between trying to buy Modric or not trying to buy Modric, I know what I'd do.

Ludens the Red

Don't get me wrong, I'd welcome him here and he's a very good footballer, I'm just not convinced that in the long run he'd be better than either Ando or Cleverley once they hit their peaks.
Hmm, dunno about this. But I won't offer an alternative opinion cos that's just too mainstream.

I'm always right

Anderson should start by actually stringing together more than a few games on the spin. Then maybe he might come somewhere near fulfilling his potential.

As things stand if offered Modric or Anderson I know who I'd take. And I suspect the vast majority of fans of other top clubs would say the same.
Missed the point. Woooosh!

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
A few against us and that was when we had Fabregas and co in midfield. I recall one in 2011 where it finished 0-0 against your lot and he had a great game that day. Like Steven Seagull (a very interesting username!) mentions a superb performance against a formidable Spanish midfield (they had Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Silva & Alonso playing for them)
I think it was 09/10 when Spurs had back-to-back aways v you and Chelsea and Modric shone in both despite being outnumbered.

RedRover

Really.

You said

I'm just not convinced that in the long run he'd be better than either Ando or Cleverley once they hit their peaks

I said - Anderson can hardly string any games together. The inference being that I think him "hitting his peak" is less likely than it might have been.

Given that I personally think Modric would be better in the long run that Anderson.

I don't think I missed the point.

RedRover

Ok, but the club isn't being offered a straight choice. United has Anderson, and has invested lots of time and money into him. Modric is being suggested as a pipe-dream transfer from Madrid less than a season after they bought him.

As things stand if offered a choice between trying to buy Modric or not trying to buy Modric, I know what I'd do.
Indeed - and I hope he makes the grade. But how long do they wait?

Midfield is a key area, Fergie seems to rate Modric and he might be keen to move back to the PL this summer. If that's the case, and he's available, then I could see Fergie making a move for him.

gza the genius

If Anderson can manage to stay fit the rest of the season then Modric isn't really necessary. If Anderson does his usual and gets hurt again and misses a majority of the end of the season then we need to start looking at other options. We can't rely on just Cleverley as that type of player.

Modric would be a very good option still, he's premier league proven and Madrid aren't exactly known for getting the best out of their players. His form there doesn't worry me at all.

lunchforthesky

Manchester United FC, as they've shown (in Fletcher's case particularly) countless times. Well, before his illness that was...
So you think Fletcher, Anderson and Cleverley are better football players than Luka Modric then?

Do you see Real Madrid, City and Chelsea wanting those three for £30m+?

finneh

So you think Fletcher, Anderson and Cleverley are better football players than Luka Modric then?

Do you see Real Madrid, City and Chelsea wanting those three for £30m+?
Are you honestly comparing Modric with two youngsters and someone who is essentially semi-retired? If you're trying to say that Modric would get into our squad and would get games, then yes of course you're correct. But he isn't the kind of player I'd say we should shell out millions for, given that he has reached his peak... Which looks impressive at a club like Spurs, not so much at a club like United/Madrid.

Berbatov was Spurs' level, yet Manchester United and City were battling it out to pay £30m for him, I'm not sure what your point is?

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
I'm torn on what I'd do if Modric actually were available right now. I'm a huge fan of Cleverley and Kagawa and a strong believer in the "If it aint broke don't fix it." theology but I don't think anyone can plausibly argue that Cleverley or Kagawa are better than Modric.

Gun to my head I'd say take a pass. On the other hand, Modric is a special talent, he's already proven his worth in the prem and Cleverley and Kagawa still have long careers ahead of them. Given a better squad around him at United (compared to Spurs) he'd go absolutely crazy in a red shirt. It didn't work out him very well with Real, but he can't have suddenly turned to shit. If we can knock the transfer fee down to 15m and work out a responsible wage package, maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to bring him in. But I'm really torn on this one.

gza the genius

I can't see why people would be against signing him, were likely looking at losing 2 of Giggs, Scholes, and Fletcher next season. Modric is a versatile midfielder and could play in virtually any formation. The only problem would be he couldn't cover for Carrick and at this point I think that should be our first priority in modfield.

Comsmit

I simply cannot fathom why people would be against signing Luka Modric....he is a terrific midfielder and a key advantage being his versatility. Can play deep, in a central two, at the tip of a three, out wide. The guy is a very intelligent footballer, he sees before he does, playing the game in his head, a few steps ahead of the flow. He has been at Madrid for a few months and people are already writing him off?? Ridiculous.

Jose knows a great talent and team player when he sees one. It takes time to assimilate into a new league with a big side, integrated players and a different style.

United will require reinforcement in midfield next season....assuming Scholes retires and Fletcher is still unable to adapt to elite football with his condition. Anderson has talent but he just doesn't see the game like Modric does...the bigger picture. He would be ideal for United either dictating from deep or linking play in the final third. If......and a big if....he became available we should bite their arm off.

An interesting statistic from last season.....Modric completed more key passes than any other player in the Premier League during 2011-2012....91 in total. Impressive.

lunchforthesky

Are you honestly comparing Modric with two youngsters and someone who is essentially semi-retired? If you're trying to say that Modric would get into our squad and would get games, then yes of course you're correct. But he isn't the kind of player I'd say we should shell out millions for, given that he has reached his peak... Which looks impressive at a club like Spurs, not so much at a club like United/Madrid.

Berbatov was Spurs' level, yet Manchester United and City were battling it out to pay £30m for him, I'm not sure what your point is?
Yes because you were the one being ridiculous and saying Spurs is his level when clearly he's better than all our central midfielders (imo including Carrick but either way he's better than Anderson, Cleverley, Scholes, Fletcher and Giggs). In which case if Spurs is Modric's 'level' then clearly all our midfielders aren't at 'Manchester United's level' because they're worse than Modric, which clearly isn't true.

Luka Modric would massively improve this club, he's a clear upgrade on our current midfielders and offers a style of play we don't currently have (i.e a mobile midfielder who can play in a two and create lots of chances in the final third). Claiming Spurs is his level is unbelivably stupid, he's a class player, one of the top ten central midfielders in world football.

I imagine you were the same people against signing RVP because we had Danny Welbeck for god's sake.

JP77

In what way is he a Spurs kind of player?

Are you suggesting he's not a better midfielder than Scholes, Giggs, Anderson, Fletcher, Cleverley and Kagawa in their current incarnations?

He's better than Carrick too imo but some will debate that. There's no way he wouldn't massively improve this club.

This is the exact same muppetry we had will RVP with people saying he wasn't that good and that they'd rather we develop Welbeck, Hernandez and Macheda. feck that, if a world class player who fits our style is available for a reasonable figure we should grab the opportunity with both hands.
I wouldn't even consider swapping Carrick for Modric. I don't believe for one second Modric could come in and even come close to doing the job that Carrick does for us. And to be quite frank, there hasn't been a better midfielder in the league this season, Carrick has been that immense. Does all of the dirty work, very good going back and forward and unbelievably consistent nowadays.

And to try to claim there's NO WAY he wouldn't massively improve the club is just silly. Nobody really knows. If we brought him it's quite likely he'd improve us, but you say it like it's a fact and there's no possibility what so ever that he could come in and not work what so ever.

Personally I never got the idea of everybody craving for Modric. That's not putting the guy down, clearly a very good player, but for me there were always much better options out there in his price range.

lunchforthesky

I wouldn't even consider swapping Carrick for Modric. I don't believe for one second Modric could come in and even come close to doing the job that Carrick does for us. And to be quite frank, there hasn't been a better midfielder in the league this season, Carrick has been that immense. Does all of the dirty work, very good going back and forward and unbelievably consistent nowadays.

And to try to claim there's NO WAY he wouldn't massively improve the club is just silly. Nobody really knows. If we brought him it's quite likely he'd improve us, but you say it like it's a fact and there's no possibility what so ever that he could come in and not work what so ever.

Personally I never got the idea of everybody craving for Modric. That's not putting the guy down, clearly a very good player, but for me there were always much better options out there in his price range.
Like who?

We don't even really need a central midfielder as much anymore anyway now Cleverley's come through I just really think it's ridiculous for people to say they wouldn't want him here or he's not good enough when he clearly is.

RedRover

Like who?

We don't even really need a central midfielder as much anymore anyway now Cleverley's come through I just really think it's ridiculous for people to say they wouldn't want him here or he's not good enough when he clearly is.
The comment that "there are much better players out there for the money" is constantly thrown about on here - and usually people don't actually name anyone.

One thing that Modric has over a lot of others is his record in the PL, where he was consistently very good for Spurs. The suggestions he goes missing in the big games seems to have been blown up by a few comments further up the thread.

Whether or not we need a player of his ilk is a decent question - but I think he'd get regular football and think he'd do well. I have no problem with a good player coming in - provides competition for places. Currently, once Scholes and Giggs are gone who's likely to push Cleverly and Carrick? Perhaps Anderson, maybe Powell, but neither are nailed on.

I'm always right

Are you going to elaborate then?

I suspect not.
You suspect wrong.

You posted "As things stand if offered Modric or Anderson I know who I'd take. And I suspect the vast majority of fans of other top clubs would say the same" in response to my post, thing is.... I obviously agree with that, but it wasn't my point.

AttackingFlair

It's also a squad game, one injury to Carrick or Cleverley and things aren't looking so great, especially with other competitions to compete in. You would be mad to turn down Modric imo.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Modric for up to £30 million would be an excellent signing imo.

He's PL proven, he has enough experience without being too old and he would be a perfect long-term replacement for Scholes. Unlikely to happen though.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
You suspect wrong.

You posted "As things stand if offered Modric or Anderson I know who I'd take. And I suspect the vast majority of fans of other top clubs would say the same" in response to my post, thing is.... I obviously agree with that, but it wasn't my point.
Stop spamming the forum with tedious nonsense. If you've got something to say, say it. Otherwise just don't bother posting.

RedRover

You suspect wrong.

You said you didn't think Modric would be better than Cleverly or Anderson at their peaks.

I pointed out that I thought there was a good chance Anderson wouldnt hit his peak, thereby making the point moot and that given that, I'd rather have one over the other.

That makes perfect sense to me.

You say I missed the point then fair enough. But I still don't know what your "point" was. No matter anyway - but it helps on an internet forum if you don't speak in riddles. Its just confusing.

RedRover

Modric for up to £30 million would be an excellent signing imo.

He's PL proven, he has enough experience without being too old and he would be a perfect long-term replacement for Scholes. Unlikely to happen though.
I personally think if he wanted to go, and if a new Madrid manager had other targets in mind, you'd get him for significantly less.

All depends what happens in the summer at Madrid I suspect, and who moves on on bothe the playing and managerial side.

Gazza

The problem with Modric at the moment is that his role at Spurs was very important but quite subtle - Bale, VDV, Adebayor & Defoe were always the match-winners when he was there - so a season without any notable action whatsoever has diminished his standing further. With Spurs doing well enough without him, it's tempting to ask what exactly he was doing in that team (if you didn't watch him regularly, anyway). I always felt he was a classy player who in the right team would add something slightly Scholes-like: elusive, smart, passes with authority.

I'm always right

You said you didn't think Modric would be better than Cleverly or Anderson at their peaks.
Exactly. I'm certainly not convinced of it anyway.

As I said, I already think that Anderson on his top top form is better. It's all opinions though I guess.

You say I missed the point then fair enough. But I still don't know what your "point" was. No matter anyway - but it helps on an internet forum if you don't speak in riddles. Its just confusing.
You obviously got my point, because you just bloody posted it above.

ben_foster

On Loan to Watford
Would prefer to keep developing Clev and Ando.
we will keep developing these two. signing modric will not hinder that.
i harped on about this when i suggested we needed another centre forward in the summer. everybody disagreed saying that in would hinder welbeck and hernandez. thats bollox. good players, world class players help younger players develop. hernandez and welbeck and even rooney will all learn and develop from training and playing with RVP.

next season we must totally discoount scholes and giggs. which leaves us with carrick, ando and cleverley. signing modric would not hinder the development of ando or cleverley at all it would help them........if nothing more i dont think either are capable of playing 50 games per year. modric for £15m bargain, id have him in a heartbeat

ben_foster

On Loan to Watford
Prices are irrelevant now days. Henderson went for 20m and I know which player I would rather have out of Cleverley and Henderson.
the point remins irrespective of the price. not one club has made a bid for any of them.

I'm always right

we will keep developing these two. signing modric will not hinder that.
Obviously, but I'd prefer someone to replace Carrick rather than another player doing similar jobs to Clev / Ando.

i harped on about this when i suggested we needed another centre forward in the summer. everybody disagreed saying that in would hinder welbeck and hernandez. thats bollox. good players, world class players help younger players develop. hernandez and welbeck and even rooney will all learn and develop from training and playing with RVP.
I said the same mate.

finneh

Yes because you were the one being ridiculous and saying Spurs is his level when clearly he's better than all our central midfielders (imo including Carrick but either way he's better than Anderson, Cleverley, Scholes, Fletcher and Giggs). In which case if Spurs is Modric's 'level' then clearly all our midfielders aren't at 'Manchester United's level' because they're worse than Modric, which clearly isn't true.

Luka Modric would massively improve this club, he's a clear upgrade on our current midfielders and offers a style of play we don't currently have (i.e a mobile midfielder who can play in a two and create lots of chances in the final third). Claiming Spurs is his level is unbelivably stupid, he's a class player, one of the top ten central midfielders in world football.

I imagine you were the same people against signing RVP because we had Danny Welbeck for god's sake.
Berbatov is "Spurs quality" and a better player than Welbeck currently; it doesn't mean that we should have sold Welbeck instead of Berbatov!

Anderson and Cleverley, if they reach their potential, will be superior to Modric. The fact is you can't have a full squad of 27 year old big money, big wage players. As I already said if he was here, of course he'd get games and of course he would improve our squad to some degree, but so would Dembele, Vertonghen, Lennon or Sandro, it doesn't mean I think we should be in for them, or that Tottenham isn't their level. He is the kind of player that a team is build around, but unfortunately isn't good enough to have a top, top team built around (again - like Berbatov).

In my opinion he is nowhere near one of the top 10 midfielders in the world, maybe the Premier League, but not the world.

Edit: And no, quite the opposite with RVP. I said that we'd have won 6 titles in a row with him and if he was available we should break the bank for him, as I believe(d) he was the best striker in the world.

Brightonian

Incidentally, what actual evidence is there for him being in poor form or unsettled at Madrid. From the handful of games I've seen, he's played pretty well when given the opportunity, and has actually played quite a bit thanks to the continuing inconsistency of Ozil's form. I certainly haven't got the impression that he's 'hardly got a look-in' as the OP says. Can anyone who's seen an article/quote or watched Madrid more than me explain?

Forevergiggs

Berbatov is "Spurs quality" and a better player than Welbeck currently; it doesn't mean that we should have sold Welbeck instead of Berbatov!

Anderson and Cleverley, if they reach their potential, will be superior to Modric. The fact is you can't have a full squad of 27 year old big money, big wage players. As I already said if he was here, of course he'd get games and of course he would improve our squad to some degree, but so would Dembele, Vertonghen, Lennon or Sandro, it doesn't mean I think we should be in for them, or that Tottenham isn't their level. He is the kind of player that a team is build around, but unfortunately isn't good enough to have a top, top team built around (again - like Berbatov).

In my opinion he is nowhere near one of the top 10 midfielders in the world, maybe the Premier League, but not the world.

Edit: And no, quite the opposite with RVP. I said that we'd have won 6 titles in a row with him and if he was available we should break the bank for him, as I believe(d) he was the best striker in the world.
I don't know how much of that is true. That is a pretty bold statement. Modric is one of the best midfielders in the world, whereas Ando is injury prone and Cleverley is just starting out.

Modric will significantly improve us in the midfield. Scholes is on his last legs and there is a big question mark over Fletcher's return. That gives us plenty of room to add another 80k/week midfielder, who will be in the prime of his career. Most midfielders do not start coming into their own before they are 25-26. Modric ran the show when he was at Spurs and dictated the pace and tempo of games, which Ando and Clev still have to learn. We play enough games to rotate all of them and not stunt their development.

I don't really get the point with Dembele, Vertonghen, Lennon or Sandro. Is Lennon better than our wingers? Vertonghen? Does our defense need another ball playing defender when we are fully stacked in the position? Sandro and Dembele - Modric is a far better player than both of them.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
... Anderson and Cleverley, if they reach their potential, will be superior to Modric. ...
You realise that Modric is only 2½ years older than Anderson. If the latter is going to "reach his potential" and surpass Modric then he'd better get his skates on.

finneh

I don't know how much of that is true. That is a pretty bold statement. Modric is one of the best midfielders in the world, whereas Ando is injury prone and Cleverley is just starting out.

Modric will significantly improve us in the midfield. Scholes is on his last legs and there is a big question mark over Fletcher's return. That gives us plenty of room to add another 80k/week midfielder, who will be in the prime of his career. Most midfielders do not start coming into their own before they are 25-26. Modric ran the show when he was at Spurs and dictated the pace and tempo of games, which Ando and Clev still have to learn. We play enough games to rotate all of them and not stunt their development.

I don't really get the point with Dembele, Vertonghen, Lennon or Sandro. Is Lennon better than our wingers? Vertonghen? Does our defense need another ball playing defender when we are fully stacked in the position? Sandro and Dembele - Modric is a far better player than both of them.
I disagree that Modric is one of the best midfielders in the world; if you are of this opinion it is no surprise that you disagree. You only need to look at where Spurs are in the league to see that he's overrated and hasn't been sorely missed.

My point re: the four Spurs players was that you can be a "Spurs level player", but still a player who would improve our squad to some degree. It's as Fergie said a few seasons ago; It's finding the right player. Only Liverpool spend tons of cash on players that would only slightly improve their squad.

If we were looking seriously at Modric, we may as well buy/have bought Felliani, Cabaye, Dembele or Sandro for less. Or look for a genuinely top class talent abroad for a similar fee.

You realise that Modric is only 2½ years older than Anderson. If the latter is going to "reach his potential" and surpass Modric then he'd better get his skates on.
I didn't say he would definitely reach it, only that he has the potential too. Obviously injuries have meant that he's 2-3 years behind where he would have been.

Saying that when Modric was 24 he'd played 30 odd games in a top league, Anderson has 3 times that amount, so he's still arguably further ahead development wise.

Forevergiggs

I disagree that Modric is one of the best midfielders in the world; if you are of this opinion it is no surprise that you disagree. You only need to look at where Spurs are in the league to see that he's overrated and hasn't been sorely missed.

My point re: the four Spurs players was that you can be a "Spurs level player", but still a player who would improve our squad to some degree. It's as Fergie said a few seasons ago; It's finding the right player. Only Liverpool spend tons of cash on players that would only slightly improve their squad.

If we were looking seriously at Modric, we may as well buy/have bought Felliani, Cabaye, Dembele or Sandro for less. Or look for a genuinely top class talent abroad for a similar fee.

I didn't say he would definitely reach it, only that he has the potential too. Obviously injuries have meant that he's 2-3 years behind where he would have been.

Saying that Modric was 26 before he had 100 appearances in a top league and started to get recognised as a quality player. Anderson has 92 appearances at 24 (for a much better team), so he still has a couple of years even if he blooms at the same age.
I don't think you are looking it the right way, buddy? Cesc left at the end of the 2010-2011 season and Arsenal improved two points and one position better last season. Does that mean Cesc is not a world class midfielder and Arteta is better than him?

Stop calling him a Spurs level player. I am not Glaston. What does it even mean?

You added Fellani, who will be good addition to our squad but I still don't get the point with the rest. Comparing a world class addition to some good players makes no sense at all.

Where is a similar talent available for less abroad? Name me a better rounded midfielder than Modric?

Like I mentioned in the previous post, there is enough room for Anderson, Cleverley and Modric to co-exist in our squad. I don't get how he is going to negatively affect them.

lunchforthesky

So which club is Welbeck the quality of? Because he's clearly not better than Berbatov? Or is that not how this '<insert team> quality' game works?

Anderson and Cleverley, if they reach their potential, will be superior to Modric.
As Glaston just pointed out Anderson is almost the same age as Modric, one is considered one of the best midfielders around, hence why Real Madrid spent £32m on him, one is basically considered an injury prone flop by almost everyone outside the club.

The fact is you can't have a full squad of 27 year old big money, big wage players.
This argument is so ridiculous. What do you know about our club finances, who's on what wages or what we can and can't afford? Almost nothing. You don't know what Modric is earning at Madrid, you don't know what he'd ask from us or what Anderson, Carrick, Fletcher or Cleverley currently make in comparison.

Fans get way too caught up in the money side of the game. What you should care about is if Modric is a good enough player to improve our team (which he is) because that's what we the fans make an informed judgement on because unlike club finances we have total transparency for performances on the pitch.

As I already said if he was here, of course he'd get games and of course he would improve our squad to some degree, but so would Dembele, Vertonghen, Lennon or Sandro, it doesn't mean I think we should be in for them, or that Tottenham isn't their level. He is the kind of player that a team is build around, but unfortunately isn't good enough to have a top, top team built around (again - like Berbatov).
He would replace Cleverley though, who he's clearly better than right now.

Currently we're built around Carrick from a midfield sense, he's having his best season ever but he's still a million miles away from being a Pirlo or a Xavi. Lets not pretend we're currently built around a Pirlo level player and signing Modric would infringe on his freedom to run games for us.

I think Carrick and Modric would be a could partnership and one of the few combos you can make in world football where both players are top level and can still clearly play in a midfield two. Clearly SAF agreed with all of this as he was evidently definitely interested in signing Modric.

I don't think Modric is a player you have to 100% build around for him to be effective too, he's a more dynamic player than that. We're not talking about Riquelme here, he's more like a Deco.

10 better midfielders then?

Steven Seagull

Anderson comparison isn't really a great one. Nothing like each other really. I've never seen anything from Anderson that suggests he can build attacks and knit passes together like I've seen from Modric. Let alone do it for a full 90 minutes.