Lukaku's first touch

Jaybomb

Does first touch really matter when he scores 20-30 goals a season?

Can't stand fans like this. On top of all that, it's extremely exaggerated. Just cause he's United shiny new signing. Look at the Pogba criticisms last season for example.

When he was at Juventus, everyone said he was the best young CM in the world and how United were stupid to let him go and now he's just a overrated "dab machine" according to some ABU idiots.

Lukaku is no different. If we signed Morata instead and Lukaku joined Chelsea, everyone would be mugging us off for paying 80m for a benchwarmer and missing out on "the next Drogba"

Can't wait till we run away with the league this season. Hope Lukaku has an RVP esque season but then again, we won't get the deserved credit and respect anyway.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Can't stand fans like this. On top of all that, it's extremely exaggerated. Just cause he's United shiny new signing. Look at the Pogba criticisms last season for example.

When he was at Juventus, everyone said he was the best young CM in the world and how United were stupid to let him go and now he's just a overrated "dab machine" according to some ABU idiots.

Lukaku is no different. If we signed Morata instead and Lukaku joined Chelsea, everyone would be mugging us off for paying 80m for a benchwarmer and missing out on "the next Drogba"

Can't wait till we run away with the league this season. Hope Lukaku has an RVP esque season but then again, we won't get the deserved credit and respect anyway.
I hope you're right. Winning the title without other fans hating on United wouldn't feel natural anyway. feck getting the credit deserved, I enjoy watching them cnuts dying inside.

RedCurry

End of the day its just your opinion, its not a 'fact' as you keep on claiming just because you find it absurd or weird
Of course it's all opinions. I am going to leave you with this video of Morata's recent game against Colombia. Great goal, very good target man, but poor first touches.

RedCurry

Which you kept on claiming as fact

Great... i will leave you with this Messi video
The difference between your video and my video is that I posted a video that showed all of Morata's touches from a single game, it wasn't meant to be a fail video but you even thinking it was a fails video proves exactly what I've been saying.

Macern

Pee pee pants
The difference between your video and my video is that I posted a video that showed all of Morata's touches from a single game, it wasn't meant to be a fail video but you even thinking it was a fails video proves exactly what I've been saying.
:lol: Nice

starman

You mean the first touch he scores with...?yup it showed me. sigh

You seem to be missing the point of posting irrelevant videos

Last edited:

markhrad

I agree and I don't care whether others give us credit or respect, with success comes envy and grudge.
I really believe that Lukaku will destroy opposition defenses. Pogba, Mhiki and Mata will feed him with goalscoring opportunities and Mourinho will ensure that he has the right mindset. Cannot wait.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Spurs fans at work are now mocking how bad his first touch apparently is. It's reached a point where such a big deal has been made of Lukaku's appparently dreadful first touch, I'm going to be pleasantly surprised when the season starts and it turns out he can actually control the ball without it flying 5 miles out of the stadium.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

If his first touch is so unpredictable that it throws off defenders & keepers, maybe it's a good asset? As long as the goals keep coming in all competitions, we shouldn't really care.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Spurs fans at work are now mocking how bad his first touch apparently is. It's reached a point where such a big deal has been made of Lukaku's appparently dreadful first touch, I'm going to be pleasantly surprised when the season starts and it turns out he can actually control the ball without it flying 5 miles out of the stadium.
:lol: It just takes one tweet to spread the myth.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
If his first touch is so unpredictable that it throws off defenders & keepers, maybe it's a good asset? As long as the goals keep coming in all competitions, we shouldn't really care.
classic blessing in disguise situation you mean?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's quite amazing how Lukaku manages to score so many goals, I actually wonder if most his goals are accidental touches.

The way he tries to control the crosses first time, and accidentally blasts them into the net is horrible technique. What a waste of money.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I'm yet to see what all this shit about. His touch is looking fine but like any CF they will miss few when heavy CBs are all over them.

Funny thing is, this is accepted as fact by many,

Litch

Hope he keeps making some of these comments look progressively more stupid as the season gets on.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
His link up, hold up and movement have been first class and I never normally praise him technically.

The Argentinean

Supports
Supports compatriots in Europe
What's the biggest football myth in England?
A; Lukaku's first touch, or lack thereof
B: Anfield's atmosphere

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
What's the biggest football myth in England?
A; Lukaku's first touch, or lack thereof
B: Anfield's atmosphere
Everyone knows atmosphere at Anfield is shite. Except Liverpool fans of course. ;)

buckooo1978

a couple of points to make here beautiful people

people read too much into flaws when a player moves for big money. That's the only reason we are hearing this exaggerated nonsense on Lukaku - did we hear a thing about Lukaku's first touch when he moved to Everton for 30 million?

it seems that if you move for 60 million plus you have to play like Cristiano or Messi and this completely ignores the market which determines what we pay

it can affect the player though and I do think Pogba suffered at times last year with the weight of expectation and the price tag - the Liverpool game stands out where Pogba had a bit of a nightmare - I remember him trying to much that game (including a bit of goalkeeping :nervous:) but it must have been difficult when your name is on every electronic board around the pitch next to a custom emoji. #overkill - just watch Pogba go next season - predicting 10 goals and 10 assists minimum

Lukaku will have to just continue scoring- who cares about first touch when you are banging them in - no one cared about Pippo "he was born offside" Inzaghi's major flaw.... he might have been offside a number of times a game but because he scored who really cared

Santoryo

ripping the reward
:lol:

redspoony

Agree with you, but the first touch will really matter when we're getting battered and defending a lead and we need him to hold the ball up. Hopefully the team can learn the best way to play it into him to maximise his strengths.

Jaybomb

Agree with you, but the first touch will really matter when we're getting battered and defending a lead and we need him to hold the ball up. Hopefully the team can learn the best way to play it into him to maximise his strengths.
He's excellent at holding the ball up

AR87

I mean his first touch isn't Berbatov level but it seems fine so far. I preferred Morata to Lukaku, but on the very little I've seen of Lukaku with United I'm not hugely concerned with his first touch.

Nickosaur

Been really impressed with his overall contribution and work rate so far. Not that I was hugely concerned about it anyway... we bought him to score!

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I wonder why so much emphasis has been put on Lukaku's first touch. It's important, but only one of many aspects in a striker's overall game (finishing abilities aside): workrate, movement and positioning, decisions, passing technique etc. All these things combined would be a better topic for a discussion on his value beyond goalscoring, imo.

I haven't seen any of the pre-season games so far, but judging by the comments here he's doing fine so far, including his ball handling.

Silverman

Very true. A lot of fans just do not like us one bit but who cares :lol: I think Lukaku will shine this season. Roll on matchday 1.

LoneStar

They all want what we have. I like that people hate on United again rather than feeling sorry for us during the LVG era.

Also, Embrace the hate :devil:

LoneStar

Yes his touch is so bad, that it usually ends up in the back of the net.

barmyarmy

Sanchez - 2470 (3.81% bad)

Costa - 1763 (6.06% bad)
His first touch doesn't look as bad as it made out to be :

Aguero - 1325 (5.96% bad)

Kane - 1116 (7.44% bad)

Lukaku - 1517 (5.08% bad)

(taken from the r/soccer post

Dante

Average bang
His touch under no pressure can be a little loose. But then, when there's no pressure, it doesn't matter how loose it is.

His touch under pressure is as good as any striker's, including Zlatan. Hardly anyone in the world can withstand an 80kg defender grappling from behind. Lukaku is one of the few who's capable of it, without his touch getting massively worse. The fact his touch is average beforehand leads people to underestimate how good it is in the situations that matter.

My only issue with Lukaku is his lack of mileage in the average game. The ground he covers is shockingly bad for a lone striker. Someone should start a thread about that.