Lukaku's first touch

Hojoon

Spurs fans at work are now mocking how bad his first touch apparently is. It's reached a point where such a big deal has been made of Lukaku's appparently dreadful first touch, I'm going to be pleasantly surprised when the season starts and it turns out he can actually control the ball without it flying 5 miles out of the stadium.
:lol: If his first touch doesn't end up hitting someone in the stands and knocking them unconscious I'll consider it a successful season.

lewwoo

Very true. A lot of fans just do not like us one bit but who cares :lol: I think Lukaku will shine this season. Roll on matchday 1.
They don't like us because we are the most successful team in the country. The biggest are always hated. I will worry when they stop hating us.

nyanza

They don't like us because we are the most successful team in the country. The biggest are always hated. I will worry when they stop hating us.
That. Like how tons of people that are supposed to hate them just don't give a feck about Liverpool at the moment. That's when it should be worrying.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Sanchez - 2470 (3.81% bad)

Costa - 1763 (6.06% bad)
His first touch doesn't look as bad as it made out to be :

Aguero - 1325 (5.96% bad)

Kane - 1116 (7.44% bad)

Lukaku - 1517 (5.08% bad)

(taken from the r/soccer post
Lukaku is barely involved in the buildup phase so he's less likely to lose the ball than Alexis and others.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Lukaku is barely involved in the buildup phase so he's less likely to lose the ball than Alexis and others.
IIRC lukaku averages more passes then other strikers. Don't think that will tell the full story though.

EyeInTheSky

some of you need to take a look at Lacazette, makes Lukaku's touch look Zidanesque, damn its terrible. Watching the Chelsea Arsenal match Lost the ball in quick succession 5 times. Nothing sticks. I know its pre-season but there is no way even if match sharp it can improve enough to be decent.

barmyarmy

some of you need to take a look at Lacazette, makes Lukaku's touch look Zidanesque, damn its terrible. Watching the Chelsea Arsenal match Lost the ball in quick succession 5 times. Nothing sticks. I know its pre-season but there is no way even if match sharp it can improve enough to be decent.
It seems Jose was right in his assessment of Lacazette:D:D

starman

Spare me the 'he's playing for a great team' BS. His record At Juventus is is not impressive either
Nor was Harry Kane in the Championship, i can go and name other strikers that didn't have a great record early in their career, or they did, and then went shit...

You're the one who alluded to him not being that good if he is not starting for Real Madrid. And you clearly have just looked at a statistic, as he wasn't always playing as the main striker for Juv

Last edited:

Loublaze

ATLien
Nor was Harry Kane in the Championship, i can go and name other strikers that didn't have a great record early in their career, or they did, and then went shit...

You're the one who alluded to him not being that good if he is not starting for Real Madrid. And you clearly have just looked at a statistic, as he wasn't always playing as the main striker for Juv
Why wasn't he the main guy at two successive teams? LOL

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Why wasn't he the main guy at two successive teams? LOL
Lukaku wouldn't start for Madrid either. At Juventus, he had injuries in the first season, and he was just 21! Last year, he had the best minutes per goal ratio of anyone par Messi in the league, and won Madrid 13 points (only Ronaldo won them more, with one more point). I'm not saying he won't flop - just putting your criticisms into context.

Loublaze

ATLien
Lukaku wouldn't start for Madrid either. At Juventus, he had injuries in the first season, and he was just 21! Last year, he had the best minutes per goal ratio of anyone par Messi in the league, and won Madrid 13 points (only Ronaldo won them more, with one more point). I'm not saying he won't flop - just putting your criticisms into context.
Aguero and Crespo have better goals per minute ratios than Maradona. Who gives a feck? We all know that super subs usually struggle when they're actually given a sustained run, like Chicharito who had a waaay better goals per mins ratio and total goals record than Morata at the same age. 70M player LOL

Listar

If you are not saying he won't flop, and also not saying he will, then how can we give any credit to what you say? It is like you giving us a history of past roulette rolls and stats, and then proceed to say that the next roll will either be black or red. Or maybe 0. Pointless.

Stactix

Aguero and Crespo have better goals per minute ratios than Maradona. Who gives a feck? We all know that super subs usually struggle when they're actually given a sustained run, like Chicharito who had a waaay better goals per mins ratio and total goals record than Morata at the same age. 70M player LOL
To be fair, he got 15 goals in Laliga in 12 starts, 2 subs. That's not bad at all.

I think both Morata & Lukaku will be a success.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
If you are not saying he won't flop, and also not saying he will, then how can we give any credit to what you say? It is like you giving us a history of past roulette rolls and stats, and then proceed to say that the next roll will either be black or red. Or maybe 0. Pointless.
I was to putting the guy's criticisms into context. If reserving judgement from the final outcome of the transfer takes the value from that for you, that's your problem, not mine. Go and enjoy the posts saying '70M haha'.

CG1010

I watched Lukaku's highlights against Barcelona and I was impressed by his hold up play. Didn't expect it to be this good!

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It can and it will.

Gasolin

I watched Lukaku's highlights against Barcelona and I was impressed by his hold up play. Didn't expect it to be this good!
It's ironic right?!? He lost most of his balls when fighting for the ball...

Loublaze

ATLien
And there you go again, hes been a Champion league winner and finalist for these two supposive crap clubs, in the space of 3 years
What in the blazers are you talking about? 'Supposive' crap clubs? Do you mean to say supposedly and also who called those clubs crap? His record at Juventus was average. He scored 15 league goals in two seasons. He scored 10 league goals for Real. I guess next you'll hit me with the goals per minute ratio argument. The fact remains his goal scoring record is not one of a 80M player and its very inferior to Lukaku's

starman

What in the blazers are you talking about? 'Supposive' crap clubs? Do you mean to say supposedly and also who called those clubs crap? His record at Juventus was average. He scored 15 league goals in two seasons. He scored 10 league goals for Real. I guess next you'll hit me with the goals per minute ratio argument. The fact remains his goal scoring record is not one of a 80M player and its very inferior to Lukaku's
You keep making out he's average at best becuase he couldnt get into the Real or Juv team as the main striker. Do you think he would be capble of being the main striker for West brom or Everton..? You seem to just been looking at a stats page making it as the basis of your argument and probably havnt even watched him play. I would love to hear your thought of Kezman before he joined Chelsea...

I think Lukaku is going to score lots of goals for United but he didnt score a single one for Chelsea. Does this mean he's only a midtable player? This is how stupid your argument is.

Last edited:

Loublaze

ATLien
You keep making out he's average at best becuase he couldnt get into the Real or Juv team as the main striker. Do you think he would be capble of being the main striker for West brom or Everton..? You seem to just been looking at a stats page making it as the basis of your argument and probably havnt even watched him play. I would love to hear your thought of Kezman before he joined Chelsea...

I think Lukaku is going to score lots of goals for United but he didnt score a single one for Chelsea. Does this mean he's only a midtable player? This is how stupid your argument is.
Lukaku made 10 apps for Chelsea, not even sure how many he started. Morata's record at both clubs is not very impressive. Stupid argument? Sure thing

Denis79

Its the reason i would have prefered Morata. Still think he will score lots of goals though
I might be a minority on here but I'm estatic we got Lukaku instead of Morata for many reasons and they are not all based on skill. I think Lukaku coming from a smaller team and have played under Mourinho before will become a hardworking long-time servant to the club. He won't complain about the location and get homesick, he won't feel underwhelmed if we lack progress instantly, he is used to the city and the PL and hit the ground running faster, I can go on why I feel Lukaku is the superior choice for me but this would become a wall of text.

MassiveMorgan

He uses his physicality very well, which is why he often seemed a lone figure at Everton. I'm not convinced he has a poor first touch, I think he's just used to having 2-3 defenders around him and relying on his strength to hold it. He's backing into defenders as the ball comes in (like Mark Bughes did) but Hughes had a lower centre of gravity so found it easier. Give him time and remember that training with Ross Barkley as you're most talented passer is slightly different to the level of ability he's surrounded with now. Love the guy. Hated the fact Chelsea got him but grateful they use the youth team to stock players for future profit rather than playing them. If they wanted him in this season that surely suggests they think he's top level no? Morata is a decent player but couldn't get regular time at Juventus and if he's so good why are Real letting him go now when CR is 32 and showing signs of slowing- Bale is missing games through injury and Benzema has been poor. They still took the money as it'll be going on a player they value more. Mbappe maybe? Dembele? Dybala? Who knows, but they aren't looking to weaken their squad I should assume. (Although the 2 year James loan with option to buy suggests that- he seemed to be a disruptive influence unlike Isco who just shut up and played well and got games as a result). Anyway, with Lukaku it would be no surprise is he got 30 goals this season.

theREDMAN

I recently saw a video that showed how Harry Kane, Sergio Aguero, and more had more bad first touches last season than Lukaku. I think it is just magnified because when he has one its pretty bad because he is a very powerful player. Another thing I hear people saying is Lukaku can't score against the big clubs. That is obvious when the big clubs played Everton they all were saying, "If we can just stop Lukaku we will be fine." Bigger clubs will not be able to key on just one guy when they play us so I think Lukaku will be great for us.

Reactions: Akshay