Lukaku's "touch"

UncleBob

In all seriousness some of the comments in here seem to act like Lukaku isn’t a genuinely class footballer. He’s obviously in the doldrums now and his confidence looks shot, but you could find videos of a million amazing players doing stupid shit.

My worry is we have a player who has scored 85 goals in the Prem before he’s hit the prime of his career and he looks dreadful. Make no mistake though, it’s not all his fault and he isn’t our main issue.
Depends on how you want to define what a genuinely class player is. I fully agree that he's a much better player than we're currently seeing, but I also reckon he's not good enough for the top teams, for me he just doesn't have that little extra bit of quality. For me, the genuinely class players establish themselves at the absolute highest level, don't think Lukaku is there and I don't think he'll get there.

For all his talk about mental strength, he's properly fecked over his current form.

Judas

Open to offers
I think after Jose he's probably the person I want out the most, and I hate slagging off our players, I don't want to do it, but watching him week after week is painful. Talks the talk off the pitch, but on it he's simply not good enough for us, and he never will be.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Anyone ever play the game QWOP? That ridiculous game on the pc where you controlled a runners limbs? After Lukaku's first "touch" his limbs looked exactly how my runners would!

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
This is what we fielded 10 years ago:

Lovely to watch but I was happy when you signed him because it broke up the Ronaldo-Rooney-Tevez front 3 which was arguably the best front 3 in PL history.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
I doubt he'd have wanted to come back at this point. More than anything else, he wants to do everything possible to go down as the greatest of all time. The best way of doing that is leading yet another club to a CL title. Something that looks a long way beyond us, even with him in the side.
I think the fairytale story of returning to the worlds best supported club might tip it in his favor. Not to mention the fact that Utd should be able to outspend Juve on wages.

Mike Smalling

That's quality :lol:

If I was a betting man, I'd take 7/2 for no shot on target in a heartbeat!

Number4.

I read a piece that seemed to suggest that it was down to increased bulk (muscle or fat irrelevant); the premise was, like a teenager during a growth spurt, you simply lose calibration of body mechanics and it takes a while to re adjust & manage your own physical momentum, resulting in decreased control and a poorer touch. Makes sense - imagine driving a car with a one ton with a safe on the back seat.

Red Stone

I used to think one of the beautiful things about football was that it could be played by anyone, no matter how big or small they are. This season's edition of Lukaku is doing his best to ruin my theory by establishing an upper size limit.

SteveTheRed

I genuinely feel bad for the guy and feel like all the memes and shit are getting to him.

I know, £200k a week or whatever, lives the life of riley etc. Any other player I would be shouting at but I just feel bad for him.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
I used to think one of the beautiful things about football was that it could be played by anyone, no matter how big or small they are. This season's edition of Lukaku is doing his best to ruin my theory by establishing an upper size limit.
:p

Canagel

I genuinely feel bad for the guy and feel like all the memes and shit are getting to him.

I know, £200k a week or whatever, lives the life of riley etc. Any other player I would be shouting at but I just feel bad for him.
I don't feel sorry for him. Every other interview he bigs himself up and starts running his mouth like he's some elite player or something. He's clearly not short on confidence/self belief . When you talk a big game and fail to back it up deal with the memes and the jokes coming your way

SteveTheRed

I don't feel sorry for him. Every other interview he bigs himself up and starts running his mouth like he's some elite player or something. He's clearly not short on confidence/self belief . When you talk a big game and fail to back it up deal with the memes and the jokes coming your way
Where has he bigged himself up? He's a 25 year old with a pretty good record for club and country trying to make the next step up and play for the top teams, I think he has to believe in himself that it's possible.

The jokes and memes are because he is playing shit, not because he is arrogant.

Aloysius's Back 3

Lukaku has the same sh*te first touch as last year.

The problem for him is because Jose has made Martial, Rashford & Sanchez as inverted forwards that use Lukaku as a central creator much more than last year where Lukaku was placed to finish off much more chances that were created by these players.

This in my opinion is due to Sanchez not performing well but also to a level where I'm sure Woodward is monitoring his use of a player like Martial.

Jose has tried to go more attacking but has put a more emphasis on Lukaku being even more of a target man than he was last year. Everyone is much closer together & requires more precision than ever.

Lukaku getting more bulky is a direct reflection on his importance as a target man for Jose this year - he has put on weight to assist him in control of the ball the way football is going to be passed on him - but has made is game worse & even more uncontrolled.

hobbers

I read a piece that seemed to suggest that it was down to increased bulk (muscle or fat irrelevant); the premise was, like a teenager during a growth spurt, you simply lose calibration of body mechanics and it takes a while to re adjust & manage your own physical momentum, resulting in decreased control and a poorer touch. Makes sense - imagine driving a car with a one ton with a safe on the back seat.
His ever increasing bulk is definitely not helping matters, but he had a shockingly poor touch at Chelsea and then at Everton as well, all when he was quite skinny.

Hughie77

Touch he hasn't got one, it's awful, Chicarito has a better touch and link up play than he does and we sold him for one of those reasons?. I've never seen the ball bounce off a striker more than him even when he does control it he falls over or loses it. Said it before buy new striker .

RedDevil5

If we want to start winning titles again he will need to be replaced. Nowhere near good enough to win us a league, let alone a Champions League.

Lukaku has the same sh*te first touch as last year.

The problem for him is because Jose has made Martial, Rashford & Sanchez as inverted forwards that use Lukaku as a central creator much more than last year where Lukaku was placed to finish off much more chances that were created by these players.

This in my opinion is due to Sanchez not performing well but also to a level where I'm sure Woodward is monitoring his use of a player like Martial.

Jose has tried to go more attacking but has put a more emphasis on Lukaku being even more of a target man than he was last year. Everyone is much closer together & requires more precision than ever.

Lukaku getting more bulky is a direct reflection on his importance as a target man for Jose this year - he has put on weight to assist him in control of the ball the way football is going to be passed on him - but has made is game worse & even more uncontrolled.
Sorry, what? :lol:

Negan

The first touch thing is basically a meme now.

It’s really really not that bad.

Aloysius's Back 3

Sorry, what? :lol:
In my opinion - Jose has told Lukaku to become more bulky to assist him at his ability of being a target man - a role that needs to get in front rather than behind the defender and control the ball from chest or foot. Lukaku is rubbish at all this and no one knows it more so than him. He either was told by Jose to put on weight; or did so himself to impress the manager/follow his tactics.

The best thing we can do right now is make Lukaku go back to the striker who gets behind the defensive line than in front of it and make Fellaini the target man if we have to continue this under Jose.

hobbers

It's worthy of becoming a meme and then some. Can't blame United fans for looking at a pub-football level of ball control with nothing other than complete scorn, given how spoilt we've been over the years with forwards that were imperious with the ball at their feet.

We've seen plenty of defenders/midfielders who are shit on the ball, but at least we usually didn't have to watch them trying to do stepovers and accidentally backheeling the ball/leaving it behind/kicking it out of play. Or god forbid falling over and injuring themselves just trying to trap the ball.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

Have you really forgotten how some people joked about his first touch when we signed him? His first touch was always atrocious

meamth

This is past feeling bad for him. He is training every day. He should have honed his first touch skill to perfection. That is knowing the fact that how bad he is at the first place.

Lovely to watch but I was happy when you signed him because it broke up the Ronaldo-Rooney-Tevez front 3 which was arguably the best front 3 in PL history.
Over indulgence on SAF part.As you say that front 3 was special,cohesive and balanced.Never really felt Berba connected with any of our forward players,not to the standard we were expecting anyway.
He hardly made a impression in the big games either.Think he only scored 4 CL goals in his time here.

Berba won the trophies with us but his best football will always been associated with Spurs.

But to keep on topic.Yes,Lukaku cant control a ball and prior to his goal on Saturday his last goal came off his stomach.Says it all.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
I dont want to hear anything about Belgium. Bendtner has a decent record internationally. Berbatov excellent record for Bulgaria yet couldn't make it here.

Lukaku cant do enough against class opposition. It's been proven time and time again. He also cant dominate small and mid table teams unless the plan is tailored perfectly to him or put on a platter by KDB, Hazard or Pogba.

Hasn't dominated one game since he's been here. Hasn't had a goal out of nowhere since he's been here. It's not the right fit. He's a great option for a team that gets dominated by possession and has teams go at them all game. Then he has space and only touches the ball on the counter or in the box to score.

meamth

I dont want to hear anything about Belgium. Bendtner has a decent record internationally. Berbatov excellent record for Bulgaria yet couldn't make it here.

Lukaku cant do enough against class opposition. It's been proven time and time again. He also cant dominate small and mid table teams unless the plan is tailored perfectly to him or put on a platter by KDB, Hazard or Pogba.

Hasn't dominated one game since he's been here. Hasn't had a goal out of nowhere since he's been here. It's not the right fit. He's a great option for a team that gets dominated by possession and has teams go at them all game. Then he has space and only touches the ball on the counter or in the box to score.
He made it. He scored goals albeit not a dominating one. He was effective in the premier league, the reason we won against lesser teams during Rooney's absence and Ronaldo's departure.

He wasn't on that elite level we expected, but he delivered during his time here. Lukaku can't even lace Berbatov's boots now.