Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He's become one of the world's best CB? One season of playing in that role and you become the best?
He’s just won the champions league final and is clearly performing at a top class level even as a CB. Do you disagree?

romufc

He’s just won the champions league final and is clearly performing at a top class level even as a CB. Do you disagree?
Winning the CL as part of the team doesn't necessarily mean each and every player is top class. Only time will tell how good of a CB he is, I feel that his pace helps him out alot and has defensive deficiencies.

TrustInJanuzaj

Winning the CL as part of the team doesn't necessarily mean each and every player is top class. Only time will tell how good of a CB he is, I feel that his pace helps him out alot and has defensive deficiencies.
Sure but the same can be said about many of the current top CB’s even players like Ramos have big deficiencies. I’m a massive fan of Alaba in general so I expect he will play well wherever he is deployed be that left back, CB or in midfield, he’s just a generally excellent player.

Anyway it still doesn’t take away from my initial point that sometimes experimenting with positions can be a good thing and players don’t have to be set in stone. Shaw would be worth a go at CB in the odd lessor game to see if he could do it.

romufc

Sure but the same can be said about many of the current top CB’s even players like Ramos have big deficiencies. I’m a massive fan of Alaba in general so I expect he will play well wherever he is deployed be that left back, CB or in midfield, he’s just a generally excellent player.

Anyway it still doesn’t take away from my initial point that sometimes experimenting with positions can be a good thing and players don’t have to be set in stone. Shaw would be worth a go at CB in the odd lessor game to see if he could do it.
With Alaba, he has played CB before and was touted to become a good CB anyway. Shaw has never been touted to be, he played well in a 5 back playing left sided CB like Tierney is for Arsenal.

Would you not also agree that Alaba has given the opportunity to become a CB because Davies has broken through? We do not have a LB that can fill in.

TrustInJanuzaj

With Alaba, he has played CB before and was touted to become a good CB anyway. Shaw has never been touted to be, he played well in a 5 back playing left sided CB like Tierney is for Arsenal.

Would you not also agree that Alaba has given the opportunity to become a CB because Davies has broken through? We do not have a LB that can fill in.
Sure but unlike Tierney, Shaw actually does have the attributes needed to play as a CB, he’s tall (enough) good in the air, composed in possession, strong positioning. At least to my eye he has the attributes required for the role.

I also agree, Alaba was moved to accommodate Davies and I’m not suggesting we move Shaw to CB without adding someone else to the squad. I would like to see us bring in Reguilon for cover and competition at left back. If he’s a success then perhaps there would be opportunities to try Shaw at CB in certain games. All of this is likely pointless anyway as I don’t see Ole actually doing that, but all I’m saying is I think it could be an interesting experiment and I could see Shaw coming out the other side an a very exciting CB option.

Mickson

Sure but unlike Tierney, Shaw actually does have the attributes needed to play as a CB, he’s tall (enough) good in the air, composed in possession, strong positioning. At least to my eye he has the attributes required for the role.

I also agree, Alaba was moved to accommodate Davies and I’m not suggesting we move Shaw to CB without adding someone else to the squad. I would like to see us bring in Reguilon for cover and competition at left back. If he’s a success then perhaps there would be opportunities to try Shaw at CB in certain games. All of this is likely pointless anyway as I don’t see Ole actually doing that, but all I’m saying is I think it could be an interesting experiment and I could see Shaw coming out the other side an a very exciting CB option.
I don't think he's 'hard' enough, tough enough and I disagree: I don't think he's CB good in the air. I think he's excellent in a back three though.

TrustInJanuzaj

I don't think he's 'hard' enough, tough enough and I disagree: I don't think he's CB good in the air. I think he's excellent in a back three though.
Yeh potentially true, surely worth a go at some point though?

EwanI Ted

There’s some very weird posts in this thread.

At a push he was acceptable in a back 3 but he’s not a centre back.

He’s a very good left back. He has room to improve, sure, but he has the full tool set to be one of the very best LBs in the world. He has shown glimpses of the player he could be. If he stays fit, the penny will drop for him. He’ll get forward more and will start getting goals as well. He’ll be a beast.

Unfortunately he’s quite unlikely to stay fit long enough to develop to his full potential. That would be a terrible shame, really hope I’m wrong.
You’re talking like he’s some raw 20 year old. He’s 25 and has 8 senior seasons under his belt. Players do continue to develop over aged 25, but usually in things like consistency, game management or dealing with pressure, not developing whole new aspects to their game. As for going forward, he has 7 assists and 1 goal in 8 seasons. That puts him miles behind even players like Azpilicueta, Belerin or Ben Davies, never mind the league's best FBs. Its pretty fanciful to think that Shaw is going to develop into an amazing attacker at this point in time.

OrcaFat

You’re talking like he’s some raw 20 year old. He’s 25 and has 8 senior seasons under his belt. Players do continue to develop over aged 25, but usually in things like consistency, game management or dealing with pressure, not developing whole new aspects to their game. As for going forward, he has 7 assists and 1 goal in 8 seasons. That puts him miles behind even players like Azpilicueta, Belerin or Ben Davies, never mind the league's best FBs. Its pretty fanciful to think that Shaw is going to develop into an amazing attacker at this point in time.
I don’t agree it is fanciful looking at his attributes and natural ability.

But it is a bit fanciful when you consider his injury record.

Your view of him is a tad dismissive. His numbers aren’t great but you have to look past that a bit.

The fact is that he actually is still fairly raw. Injuries are the main reason he is not further along at this point in his career (and arguably he was mismanaged by Mou). Despite all that he is quite an important player for us already and he absolutely can improve a lot. IF he stays fit. Which he probably won’t.

EwanI Ted

I don’t agree it is fanciful looking at his attributes and natural ability.

But it is a bit fanciful when you consider his injury record.

Your view of him is a tad dismissive. His numbers aren’t great but you have to look past that a bit.

The fact is that he actually is still fairly raw. Injuries are the main reason he is not further along at this point in his career (and arguably he was mismanaged by Mou). Despite all that he is quite an important player for us already and he absolutely can improve a lot. IF he stays fit. Which he probably won’t.
Its not really dismissive to judge a player based on 8 years of performances, I I think that's entirely fair. Even if he were just inconsistent, mixing good spells of form with bad, then at least we might judge him on his better spells and hope he might produce them more consistently. But we're talking here about someone who has never performed well in attack in his entire time at the club. There really is no logical basis for assuming that is going to suddenly start doing something he's never done before. We might hope that he does, but you can say that for any player.

Revaulx

People wants him as CB because they think that he's a failed LB. It's the same with our other fullback, AWB.
Otherwise, why would people entertain this idea?
Who are these "people"?

I think Shaw is a very good full back who has the tools to be a very good centre back as well. Injury-proneness aside, the weakest part of his game is in the final third. That might be less of an issue if he's playing in the centre.

Brilliant tackling aside, I fail to see what AWB has got to enable him to play at centre back. His positional awareness isn't great; neither is his heading. And if "people" want him at CB because his lack of ability on the ball wouldn't matter as much as at full back, why the hell did Smalling get pushed out?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Answer your own question. David Alaba was the best left back in the world, why did Bayern move him to CB where he has subsequently become one of the best CB’s in the world.
Because they have a worthy replacement at LB? Because they in need of CB? Because under Pep formation at Bayern, he had time to learn as CB in 3 CB system, then proved himself as a good CB?

TrustInJanuzaj

Because they have a worthy replacement at LB? Because they in need of CB? Because under Pep formation at Bayern, he had time to learn as CB in 3 CB system, then proved himself as a good CB?
So Utd are clearly hitting two of those three things:
-Shaw has played well in a back three as a CB
-We also could use a CB.
-we currently don’t have a replacement but I’m not advocating moving Shaw around until we do. I’d like to see us take a punt on Reguilon.

Lee565

Would shaw really be a worse option in CB over lindelof? One of the big pluses if it works out well we would end up saving ourselves 60 million, not have such a slow and immobile central defence pairing that was badly exposed on occasions last season and is shaw really any less braver, stronger, aggressive and better in the air than lindelof as well? In an ideal world for united tuanzebe would stay fit and manage to form a great partnership with Maguire but injuries keep getting the better off him.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
So Utd are clearly hitting two of those three things:
-Shaw has played well in a back three as a CB
-We also could use a CB.
-we currently don’t have a replacement but I’m not advocating moving Shaw around until we do. I’d like to see us take a punt on Reguilon.
Maybe in 3 CBs, Shaw could e tried. But I don't think he should be on 2 CBs. The jump is too high. And we don't have better/equal alternative at LB. Also we have so many CBs already.

I don't see it how Shaw would turn into an excellent CB, but you could be right.

Last edited:

OrcaFat

Its not really dismissive to judge a player based on 8 years of performances, I I think that's entirely fair. Even if he were just inconsistent, mixing good spells of form with bad, then at least we might judge him on his better spells and hope he might produce them more consistently. But we're talking here about someone who has never performed well in attack in his entire time at the club. There really is no logical basis for assuming that is going to suddenly start doing something he's never done before. We might hope that he does, but you can say that for any player.
Well yes I hope he does but I don’t think he will because I think he will be injured.

I’ve seen him play very well indeed going forward just not very often. But seeing as he’s done it a couple of times he can certainly do it again. His problem has been momentum or lack of it, because of injury.

I gather you have been less impressed by him. That’s cool.

kiristao

What are the chances he starts the season? He seems to have a good understanding with Rashford. We need Shaw to be available from the get go as we have practically no one else to play there.

dutchred

Does anyone remember the game against PSV? He was injured in the PSV penalty area. He was good going forward before the injury. I still believe there is an excellent left back there or even a LCD as he is also good in the air and has good distribution.

OrcaFat

Does anyone remember the game against PSV? He was injured in the PSV penalty area. He was good going forward before the injury. I still believe there is an excellent left back there or even a LCD as he is also good in the air and has good distribution.
That’s Luke Shaw. Playing well, gets injured. I really feel for him. If he could only stay fit he would make the doubters eat their own shorts. But, alas, that is a very big “if”.

EwanI Ted

Anyone know if Shaw will be fit for the start of the season? Physioroom hasnt been updated since the injury that kept him out at the end of last season.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Anyone know if Shaw will be fit for the start of the season? Physioroom hasnt been updated since the injury that kept him out at the end of last season.
He should be. His injury isn't exactly a serious one that will take months. It should only take few weeks.

AsonUnique

Answer your own question. David Alaba was the best left back in the world, why did Bayern move him to CB where he has subsequently become one of the best CB’s in the world.
They had an injury crisis and it worked out well with Davies blowing up. Let's not compare Alaba and Shaw. Shaw had a pretty good season and I was impressed how he improved his fitness and all facets of his game. Alaba is a unique player that has played just about every position besides goalie and forward at a high level. It's not a fair comparison.

Luke has shown he can do a job as part of 3 at the back. If we add Reguilon it doesn't mean Luke is thrown out, competition is good and allows for some rotation and different play styles and tactics. To me we should be more worried about how Williams will do back on the right backing up AWB, it should be more natural but I think his role could change depending who our RW is.

TrustInJanuzaj

They had an injury crisis and it worked out well with Davies blowing up. Let's not compare Alaba and Shaw. Shaw had a pretty good season and I was impressed how he improved his fitness and all facets of his game. Alaba is a unique player that has played just about every position besides goalie and forward at a high level. It's not a fair comparison.

Luke has shown he can do a job as part of 3 at the back. If we add Reguilon it doesn't mean Luke is thrown out, competition is good and allows for some rotation and different play styles and tactics. To me we should be more worried about how Williams will do back on the right backing up AWB, it should be more natural but I think his role could change depending who our RW is.
I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said, it was merely an example of why posters don’t always need to be fixated on a players position. Many players ranging from good to world class have successfully transitioned positions at some point in their career and I think Shaw might be able to play CB, but it goes without saying he’s nowhere near Alaba and never has been.

Himannv

I feel as though I'm one of the few people who rate Luke Shaw and have been for many years. So many want to replace him and think he's not a good player. I agree with those who say he gets injured too often, but not with any of the others.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's looking really thin and in great shape, obviously has been working very hard over the break since his injury.

kiristao

I feel as though I'm one of the few people who rate Luke Shaw and have been for many years. So many want to replace him and think he's not a good player. I agree with those who say he gets injured too often, but not with any of the others.
I am with you on that one. Also his understanding with Rashford is very good. We need to actually get a good understudy for Shaw. A young LB that can keep pushing him and ultimately take over from him.

CiroDiMarzio

Great news. I really don’t think people appreciate how much better the side is when Shaw is playing. He was badly missed at the tail end of last season.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He's definitely looking better than he has at this point in the past. You'd assume that comes with eating less and working harder, so I'd happily assume he's in better shape too. Good lad.

arthurka

He looks great but I remember couple of years ago he hired a trainer and looked really fit during pre season only to look 5 kg overweight at the beginning of it.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He looks 5 years older than I remember him.
Sometimes people look weird when they get slimmer, especially when it's to this point. It's almost like uncanny valley style.
My mate lost 3 stone over lockdown and it's a bit like this, because we were so used to him. He's probably lost half a stone too much to be honest (my mate, not Shaw).

Status
Not open for further replies.