Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Some of the best fullbacks ever have played significant periods of their career in midfield: the likes of Paul Breitner, Junior, etc. Marcelo is probably the best attacking fullback of the last decade and his breakthrough season at Madrid was as a centre mid, and at around about the same time, Roberto Carlos was settling into a midfield role after years at left back. In more recent times you have a midfielder like Alexander Arnold breaking through at fullback.

It is one of the positions that historically there has been a lot of overlap with. If you go back to the early 50s there were no fullbacks, just centre backs and halfbacks. Halfbacks played a halfway role between what we now think of as a fullback and a centre mid. When the back four became common some of those players became fullbacks, some centre mids, and some occupied that half space.

Guardiola has effectively recreated that halfback role from the 50s. Alves sort of occupied it but he was so dynamic that he spent more time wider, while Lahm, Walker and particularly Cancelo went on to play a role that was neither fullback nor centre mid, but a combination of the two that was context-dependent.

Ultimately the quality needed to play either role is very similar in a lot of respects. Shaw could play centre mid just like Fred could play left back.
Wasn't fabinho a rb too when he started ?

thepolice123

Nah here’s Shaw at 18 against us.

Silky touch, tight close control, sharp passing and endless composure were some of the things that set him apart at that age.
I'm genuinely shocked that people don't remember what an amazing talent he was. Young fullbacks who are good at attacking are pretty common, but young Shaw was a good at defending as well, something which is very rare till today. In his first season here he played like a senior player, it was mind-boggling.

Valencia Shin Crosses

He’s such an interesting style of fullback too. Generally you think of fullbacks like TAA or someone similar that sits out miles wide and whips in crosses, but Shaw is more similar to the Brazilian style fullbacks who can create and go on runs in and around the box.

Also goes to show what some confidence and form does for a player, he’s playing like he can pull off anything right now, and that’s awesome to see.

arthurka

Still find it funny how we overrate our players sometimes. Shaw has been good for periods since he joined but also lacking for periods. He has been really good since November this season and is the best FB in the league now by some distance.

Talking about him in the same frame as Evra or Irwin is ridiculous to be fair, they did 7-10 week in week out season after season adding silverware to the clubs name almost every season.

Luke isn't close to that level but he has shown a lot of growth under Ole and has become our best player lately. Hope this continues because this is the Luke we have all been waiting for.

criticalanalysis

In all seriousness, we should consider whether we evolve our shape so that at times Shaw tucks in to a more central area, almost as a second DM. Maybe this would solve the conundrum of how we get both Pogba and Bruno into the team and still maintain control without a double pivot.

I think this is a good solution against teams where we should dominate the ball.
We don't need him coming in centrally, I think we need to do a better job of consciously protecting and overloading the left side i.e get Shaw/Pogba/Rashford on the ball more. Although Shaw is the stand out attacking player and AWB is trying, let's be honest there's no rhyme or reason to our attacking play so at times the possession seems a bit too even.

AWB should be the one looking over his shoulder across to Lindelof and mainly be there to provide width and for a switch i.e less penetrative runs and leave that to the left side. Fred/McT/Maguire should be the ones looking over their shoulder to cover the space behind.

Yagami

Good post resistant
It was only a few months ago people were laughing at the few of us on here who suggested he could play centrally, ha. Time flies.

There's a reason why he was the player I was most glad about getting signed in 2014 despite being a huge fan of di Maria's at the time.

Lastwolf

He was already voted player of the season in 18/19, Williams and Telles came after that.
He was, but Jose was gone by the latter end of that season, my response was about Jose painting a narrative, which he did but it wasn't out of nothing, was my point. Jose was sacked that year, so it's about before then, Shaw played more that year than he had done in the 2 season prior to it, combined.

Raven

He was, but Jose was gone by the latter end of that season, my response was about Jose painting a narrative, which he did but it wasn't out of nothing, was my point. Jose was sacked that year, so it's about before then, Shaw played more that year than he had done in the 2 season prior to it, combined.
Whenever Shaw had played he'd looked really good for us, I remember he got a 5 game run in the team in the 17/18 season around Christmas while Young was out and he looked by far our best full back in that time. Shaw was also one of the 3 players, alongside Pogba and Martial who played out of their skin the season Jose was sacked and kept him in a job for about 2 months longer than he should have. There was never a point at which Shaw should have been sold, he was always clearly one of our most talented players and it's perplexing that it has taken some people till now to realise that.

romufc

Why would anyone switch Lahm or Kimmich to midfield? Because I and some others feel he's one of our best players both on and off the ball and could have more of an impact in the centre. I'm fine with him remaining as a left back but I'd love to see him given a go at DM.
Actually, its only Lahm. This narrative that Kimmich has been switched is not right. If you go have a look, in his youth days Kimmich played CM not RB.

In his debut season in 15/16 he played 2/36 games at RB, so he got shifted to RB from CM.

Luke Shaw has always played LB and is starting to excel at it.

Raven

Actually, its only Lahm. This narrative that Kimmich has been switched is not right. If you go have a look, in his youth days Kimmich played CM not RB.

In his debut season in 15/16 he played 2/36 games at RB, so he got shifted to RB from CM.

Luke Shaw has always played LB and is starting to excel at it.
Fair enough with Kimmich but it does show that there is significant overlap between the 2 positions and as another poster illustrated excellently above, it's been that way for a very long time. I'm absolutely delighted with Shaw's form and think he's amongst the best LBs in the world and would be more than happy for him to continue doing what he's doing but I also think he'd make a superb DM and would love to see it tried.

romufc

Fair enough with Kimmich but it does show that there is significant overlap between the 2 positions and as another poster illustrated excellently above, it's been that way for a very long time. I'm absolutely delighted with Shaw's form and think he's amongst the best LBs in the world and would be more than happy for him to continue doing what he's doing but I also think he'd make a superb DM and would love to see it tried.
The only issue I have with that is that Telles hasn't shown enough to move Shaw into a CDM.

I would rather us sign someone who is a natural CDM allowing Shaw to continue as a LB considering his defensive abilities as well. He seems to mark the back post really well, hardly do we concede from a LW cross which is in contrast to the RW. AWB seems to always lose his man on the back stick.

Raven

The only issue I have with that is that Telles hasn't shown enough to move Shaw into a CDM.

I would rather us sign someone who is a natural CDM allowing Shaw to continue as a LB considering his defensive abilities as well. He seems to mark the back post really well, hardly do we concede from a LW cross which is in contrast to the RW. AWB seems to always lose his man on the back stick.
Either or works for me really, I just feel he'd be able to effect the game more from.the centre.

Andersons Dietician

In all seriousness, we should consider whether we evolve our shape so that at times Shaw tucks in to a more central area, almost as a second DM. Maybe this would solve the conundrum of how we get both Pogba and Bruno into the team and still maintain control without a double pivot.

I think this is a good solution against teams where we should dominate the ball.
When we had our good form after lockdown last year he was kind of taking up a position as say a DM. He’d sort of sit in a position where he could get back to LB if needed but was certainly hanging back as a DM. Then Rashford would pull wide and Shaw was attacking the space between the fullback drawn out to cover Rashford and the CB from a central position. It was working well then he got injured and Williams couldn’t do the same thing.

Ive never seen us do the same thing or play like that since. Maybe doing that now would take away from Shaws influence in games, but it might free Pogba and Bruno a bit more if say Fred is in midfield and he’s backed up by Shaw.

Idxomer

He has those few moments in defense that sets him apart from any other top fullback, the block at the end was just so smart.

A natural footballer.

criticalanalysis

He has those few moments in defense that sets him apart from any other top fullback, the block at the end was just so smart.

A natural footballer.
He saved Lindelof's arse with that one.

Alongside Pogba, was one of our best on the ball today and then he had those clutch defensive moments.

AndersB

His technical ability is incredible. Best of the team by a country mile.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
His technical ability is incredible. Best of the team by a country mile.
I think he has one of the best first touches I've seen among United players. High cross field passes and he just kills them dead like it's nothing.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
His link up play with Rashford is very good, they do the same move so many times and execute it very well, his technical ability and composure in just awesome.

Steven7290

His final passes didnt come off today however his all round game has been maintained at a very high level for a while now. LB sorted out for years to come.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Thought he was great once again.
Agreed top display. Genuinely enjoying his style of play. Defends so well but not only he provides great runs of forward but can dictate the play too. Always said he's got great vision and he's totally not afraid to do a bit of playmaking on his side. Joy to watch in this form and hope he keeps that up. Still only 25! Indeed it was a steal for that 30 mil. If not for his leg break who knows where he'd be.

RedDevilRoshi

By far and away our best player this season which he deserves huge credit for. And also Ole too for bringing the best out of him.

Brightonian

Spotted him directing teammates around the pitch today to good effect. Come a long way from Mourinho claiming Shaw doesn't have a brain of his own.

Red Royal

Top man... says as much there as he can get away with. Same with Rashfords picture he posted. Need all of the players to stand up

Bwuk

The post is the most important thing he’s done all season.

I haven’t been a fan of Shaw for a lot of his time here, but he’s really come on leaps on bounds on the pitch and showing real leadership qualities.

Status
Not open for further replies.