Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoomSlayer

We're not a selling club so it's not useful to ask what we'd sell for. What would he cost us to buy? It wouldn't be as high as that because only forwards or goalscoring midfielders go for that sort of money. But I think we'd probably have to match the £75m record fee for a defender Liverpool paid for VVD.
I was just looking at his overall worth at the moment, not implying we are a selling club. I wouldn't sell him for any price at this point.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think he’s the Player of the Year, not just United, but in the league. He won’t win it because he’s a left back but I really think he should.

Redfrog

He is a hell of a player.
Really solid, great going forward, sublime first touch and range of passing. Complete player really.

The irony is now that he is probably José wet dream. He is very intelligent when we are closing games.
I noticed this year that he is capable to wast a lot of time by faking injuries and stopping counters by tactical fouls when we need it.

I love this kind of players, and we missed it for a long time.

The United

Obviously, he is a confident player and will show his ability when his manager is not throwing him under the bus on and off the pitch. He should use more of his cross-field crosses more. He has the ability to do it.

I also like how no one can take the ball off from him whenever he runs with it into the box.

He is probably only 2nd to Mata with great ball control and first touch in the squad. He could be a very good ball-playing CB when he loses his pace later on.

RedTiger

Half mast
Defensively, Shaw is much better at air duels than Evra was, which was actually one of Pat's weaknesses, in my opinion. So it kind of evens out.

I do wonder what would Shaw's value be currently. Would we sell for a £100 million?
That's a difficult one. I personally wouldn't sell him as there's no viable player to replace him. 100Mil seems a ridiculous price for a full-back but then we bought Maguire for 80... I'd probably say his price is between 70-80 Mil at the moment.

NK86

VVD stood out because it’s so rare to see a defender on that list. That attackers win more plaudits and awards than defenders is not arguable.
Did I say anywhere that attackers don't win more plaudits. You keep going around the original point. Shaw is being given a lot of praise everywhere. Comparing him to Bruno is also not fair as Bruno has been a talisman to drag us through last half season and many times in this as well. That's also a fact. So he gets more recognition for it.
Bruno is a game changer and thus they get more plaudits.

Eternitiy

I’m telling you, he’s actually Maldini good to me right now. As high a praise as I can give. He reminds me of Paolo, in that every facet of his game is top notch and there is an effortlessness to it. Obviously, sustaining it is a challenge, but this season has been as good as I’ve seen for a long time. He’s gone to Anfield and the Etihad and dominated his entire area of the pitch. He’s pocketed top forwards and then bullied them going the other way too. Great touch, passing and even shooting now.
The true indicator of being world class in your domain is making the difficult look routine and nonchalant. The metrics back up what we can see with our eyes, too. He's truly at the pinnacle of fullback performance, and I think he can continue to improve, he has that much talent.

ElectroManiac

Can the play Shaw at midfield stop already please. Why would you move him from his best position where he is having a world class season to midfield where he can be a worse player and could potentially harm his consistency just because we have weaker players there. We just need to buy better midfielders. You don't move a player who is on form from the position he is already playing.

saivet

The moment early in the game where he slowly jogged to the ball before the Roma player won it was one of the most bizarre pieces of defending I've seen. Poor half from him and somehow Telles was worse.

Red Royal

The moment early in the game where he slowly jogged to the ball before the Roma player won it was one of the most bizarre pieces of defending I've seen. Poor half from him and somehow Telles was worse.
And then Shaw did a similar thing later in the half near the halfway line....clearly not up for the game today.

Rossa

That was such a strange performance. He had that brilliant flick before Cavani's first goal, but overall he was really poor and looked as if he was unable to run. Basically, he looked exhausted from the start. Telles should have started, but then he started to play, and he really shouldn't have.

jem

He wasn't at it for this game, but he wasn't particularly poor - only one instance comes to mind where he got done for pace by a Roma attacker. I think he's just set such high standards this season that a mediocre performance stands out. As bad as Telles was, I think it'll be very important to provide Shaw occasional relief next season, as we'd be fecked if he suffered a long-term injury.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Not his best game, might be one of his worst this season. But man, his first touch is special. Berbatov-like.

Hoping he doesn't play all of the next 4 games. Wouldn't mind him sitting out the Villa game actually, as the next two are tougher.

The United

His final decision making still a bit of improvement. Once he does, he would be the best in the world.

AgentSmith

Shaw’s first touch is like a player on FIFA, just kills the ball dead immediately with zero effort. Another brilliant performance.

Ekeke

Remember when the caf thought he was too fat and didnt attack well enough so we needed an upgrade? I member

Bristol_Red_87

Did anyone hear his post-match interview?

BBC quoted him as saying "maybe we're not ready for the game"?!

:eek:

kiristao

Good game today. His one touch play has really gone up a few levels this season. Can improve his crossing. Or maybe we need to play with a proper CF like Cavani regularly for his crosses to be effective.

TheMitz

He exudes confidence in every game. Reads the game well, great decision making.

player of the season for me

Bogga

Amazed the other day when I realised this guy is only 25 years old :eek:

So guess we're sorted in that position for a couple of years

criticalanalysis

I liked that near post shot.

Final ball a bit inconistent today but on a good day he could have had an assist and a goal.

I've said this many times but I would like a bit more attacking goal threat from him once he's in the box. A few shots rifled in, low and hard into the far post or shock he cuts inside and takes a shot with his right foot.

His positioning and dribbling on the overlap/wide has been really good so he has it in him to do more rather than looking for the pick out or 6 yard cross.

The United

Remember when people complained how Shaw didn't overlap and support. He has always done that. Rashford didn't pass him much.

But, I see a pattern changed with our wing play over these past few months. FBs are getting up, staying up more often and we use them a lot more.

It was not like that last season or even the first half of this season.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
That bit of link up play on the left side in the second half between him and Pogba was mint
Both players with great touch and weight of pass, matched with Shaw's speed and Pogba's skill. It is a real weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.