Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven

@RUCK4444 ‘s post actually proves my point. Many people, except you two clearly, expected Telles to come in and be this Robertson-lite attacking LB, especially considering his stats at Porto last season. I know I did, and if you go back to the Telles transfer thread, many people did too. I knew Shaw was good and very consistent, but I did believe that Telles would give us more attacking impetus. Luke is doing that now, better than any other LB in the world. Massive props to him.

And yeah, I’m a big sceptic of Ole, but if he was hired sooner, Shaw would have reached this level much faster as well. Mourinho’s treatment of him was a disgrace, and we all knew so at the time, just that we didn’t want to batter him too much due to the forlorn hope that he’d win us titles.
I remember how crazy an idea I thought it was that he would replace Shaw. Shaw last season, even though he wasn't chipping in with many assists, was still integral to our play in a way that Telles was never going to be able to match. I like Telles but it was always clear to me that he was bought as Shaw's back up.

RUCK4444

@RUCK4444 ‘s post actually proves my point. Many people, except you two clearly, expected Telles to come in and be this Robertson-lite attacking LB, especially considering his stats at Porto last season. I know I did, and if you go back to the Telles transfer thread, many people did too. I knew Shaw was good and very consistent, but I did believe that Telles would give us more attacking impetus. Luke is doing that now, better than any other LB in the world. Massive props to him.

And yeah, I’m a big sceptic of Ole, but if he was hired sooner, Shaw would have reached this level much faster as well. Mourinho’s treatment of him was a disgrace, and we all knew so at the time, just that we didn’t want to batter him too much due to the forlorn hope that he’d win us titles.
Yeah I agree there were a lot of posters expecting a big improvement with us fielding Telles.

Also agree that Shaw would have benefitted with Ole as manager sooner, in fact any manager that wasn’t Mourinho. He’s done well to come back from that public disgrace from Jose.

Just another top player that Jose has written off, you could build a top team with the players he’s written off and let move on etc.

SAFMUTD

Feck Fifa, boycott the bastards until they make Greenwood a playable face. :lol:

And yeah the idiots have him on 80 was it? Absolute madness. he should be 86 the least.
Yes 80 while Telles has 84 or something like that, makes no sense at all.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
It's shambolic. You also have Maguire at 82, while someone like Laporte who has played 10 games at 87, Thiago Silva at 85, Matip at 83. Waste of money was fifa 21.
It's a game :lol:

Eli Zee

It's shambolic. You also have Maguire at 82, while someone like Laporte who has played 10 games at 87, Thiago Silva at 85, Matip at 83. Waste of money was fifa 21.
I agree. The United players' ratings r a joke.

Shaw is a very good player. I'm happy with his performance levels as it helps the team and I think he is probably happier than me about his form right now, tbh. Seems to be in a good place mentally and physically.

izec

He finally has an output and knows what to do once he bypasses the halfway line. Wonder what happened to him this season. Watching Telles?

Some will say he was always like this, but he wasnt. He is a different player now. He improved in every aspect of the game going forward, even taking corners. Behind Bruno POTY for us, the most improved player in the team this season

Himannv

Fantastic obviously. Hope he stays fit. I'd bring Telles in for the midweek game and keep him fresh for the league personally.

Some will say he was always like this, but he wasnt. He is a different player now. He improved in every aspect of the game going forward, even taking corners. Behind Bruno POTY for us, the most improved player in the team this season
He's only improved in crosses and corners from a purely technical standpoint. He always makes runs just like the one he made last night - a couple of times a game normally. His passing was also at the same level for most part. The difference is probably decision making and maybe better understanding of his overall game.

POTS so far for me. Obviously Bruno has been good as well but nowhere as consistent as Shaw has been.

A-man

No one sensible claimed this. A few claimed he was the best defensive fb in the world (a much smaller pool of competition) and more claimed he was the best defensive fb in the league (myself included.) I would say the latter has been true all season and still is. The former probably not, but then it's so difficult to compare across leagues anyway.

Shaw might be in the top five LBs overall in Europe. Creeping ahead of Cancelo as best FB in the league, notably getting the better of him today and also because Shaw could excel doing what Cancelo does for City (fairly light defensive load and lots of midfield work) but Cancelo would not look nearly as good if he had to defend as much as Shaw does for United.
To be fair, AWB has never been at Shaw's level. He's brilliant one on one, probably the best in the game. Sterling hasn't a clue of what to do against him 4/5 games running. But while Shaw doesn't have that sort of natural tackling quality (who does?), he's a far better footballer and overall fullback, and most felt throughoit. I think he's the best in the PL for sure right now.
I dont remember anyone saying AWB was best FB or RB in the world, I dont even remember people saying he was best in PL either. People said he was the best defensive FB in the league.

Shaw is the best FB/second best FB in the league this season, all the basic stats and also underlying stats shows that. He was always very good defensively and in the build up play, it was always in the final third where he struggled. This season his numbers are up there with the best (Only Robertson beats him in expected assists by a small margin but then Robertson played more mins)
Maybe I remember wrongly, and it was “best defensive fullback” for AWB. Sorry for that. Anyway, a few weeks later we conceded some goals where AWB’s positioning was questionable and then the people went back “we need a new RB”. I brought it up as an example that we seem to easily get carried away when a player plays better or worse than normal.

Again, Shaw’s been great, but I still believe there are some improvements he must, and also can, do to take the step to world class.

I voted for him as MOTM vs City but his defending against Mahrez in first half was definitely not world class. I know I might be drifting away from the original statement “best in the world” when I talk about world class, but I find that much more relevant as best in the world is more subjective. World class for me was Robertson the last two seasons as example.

Raven

Maybe I remember wrongly, and it was “best defensive fullback” for AWB. Sorry for that. Anyway, a few weeks later we conceded some goals where AWB’s positioning was questionable and then the people went back “we need a new RB”. I brought it up as an example that we seem to easily get carried away when a player plays better or worse than normal.

Again, Shaw’s been great, but I still believe there are some improvements he must, and also can, do to take the step to world class.

I voted for him as MOTM vs City but his defending against Mahrez in first half was definitely not world class. I know I might be drifting away from the original statement “best in the world” when I talk about world class, but I find that much more relevant as best in the world is more subjective. World class for me was Robertson the last two seasons as example.
No world class player is world class every minute of every game. He's been world class this season by pretty much every metric.

A-man

No world class player is world class every minute of every game. He's been world class this season by pretty much every metric.
I guess it’s a subjective and depending on the definition of world class. Just curious, what metrics are you talking about?

Zoo

I hope this has given him a taste for more goals. I also want to see him having a go at free kicks.

Siezard

I think he should get a Player of the season nomination. Consistently brilliant.

Who else is in the running? De Bruyne, Dias/Stones, Gundogan, Bruno?
This season, clearly Bruno is in the lead for player of the season.

Luke Shaw is in the lead for team of the year for Leftback.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I remember the days people used to mock the fee of £30m. Not looking bad value now at all. Patience is a virtue.
We should keep Anderson a bit longer.

Maybe give contract extension to Jones and Rojo again? Who knows. They may come good.

Raven

For me Shaw is one of those examples where the player is so much better than his stats show. His stats aren’t bad, nor great, but he has still been great.
I would agree generally but I think his stats look very good for this season... admittedly I'm only just starting to use fbref though and maybe I'm not fully understanding what I'm looking at.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I would agree generally but I think his stats look very good for this season... admittedly I'm only just starting to use fbref though and maybe I'm not fully understanding what I'm looking at.
He's started taking corners and some free kicks so his "created chances" have ballooned.

His importance to the team though can't really be "stated", only really with passing maps and how he progresses the ball.

His ability to pass out of tight areas and rarely loose the ball too is such a big thing.

A-man

The stats were broken down in absurdum :) and it was hard to evaluate imo.
He's started taking corners and some free kicks so his "created chances" have ballooned.

His importance to the team though can't really be "stated", only really with passing maps and how he progresses the ball.

His ability to pass out of tight areas and rarely loose the ball too is such a big thing.
I think you highlight some of his best attributes, and those are hard to capture in stats. Same goes for a defender who is good at shutting down a player, an area or an open space. To me, Shaw is one of those smart defenders who necessarily don’t need tackles and clearances to defend.

Alfie092

Was it worth the wait of 7 years for Shaw to hit the consistent form he is showing now?

If he can become a world-class left-back for the next 3-4 years from now then I would say absolutely yes! On current form he is an absolutely weapon both defensively and offensively!

Andersons Dietician

He’s been great but I feel we’re going through this every time a player has a good run. Many United fans claimed AWB was the best fb in the world, now suddenly we have both best fullbacks in the world. I think Shaw struggled defensively in first half today, and even if he might have been our best player it wasn’t really a world class performance.
Bissaka is good at one thing and that’s a sliding tackle. To even say he’s the best defensive fullback in the world is a travesty because he’s clearly not. He’s maybe the best in the world at a sliding tackle. But defending is about way more than that and even in that aspect Shaw is far better.

Shaw struggled for a couple of instances against one of the best RW in the game where Pep plays a certain way allowing Cancelo inside to leave Shaw isolated and having to choose who he goes with. Pretty much everytime Shaw has come up against Mahrez he’s pocketed him. At some point every fullback will get beaten but it’s about the consistency and Shaw has consistently been one of if not thee best performing fullback in the prem if not the world. So really who is currently better than Shaw. I like Digne and Alphonso is practically a winger.

Raven

Agreed, I always feel very assured when he gets on the ball. I feel like some of the stats on fbref are finite enough to help see some of the harder to quantify aspects of his game but you're right, they definitely don't paint a full picture.
The stats were broken down in absurdum :) and it was hard to evaluate imo.

I think you highlight some of his best attributes, and those are hard to capture in stats. Same goes for a defender who is good at shutting down a player, an area or an open space. To me, Shaw is one of those smart defenders who necessarily don’t need tackles and clearances to defend.
Yeah, very difficult to evaluate. I agree though that he is a very smart defender and often doesn't need to tackle or clear the ball through his use of positioning and his obvious physical talents.

As a matter of interest, would you say Shaw's having a world class season or do you think that's maybe a little strong?

Baneofthegame

Shawberto Carlos!

Whenever he’s been fit for this long he looks like the player we all thought he could be, really happy for him especially after Mourinho tried to destroy him.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Bissaka is good at one thing and that’s a sliding tackle. To even say he’s the best defensive fullback in the world is a travesty because he’s clearly not. He’s maybe the best in the world at a sliding tackle.
AWB is also extremely good at blocking crosses, which is probably Shaw's biggest (only?) defensive weakness. Shaw does have a tendency to sit off just a bit too much which allows his opponent to get crosses or passes into the box.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Bissaka is good at one thing and that’s a sliding tackle. To even say he’s the best defensive fullback in the world is a travesty because he’s clearly not. He’s maybe the best in the world at a sliding tackle. But defending is about way more than that and even in that aspect Shaw is far better.

Shaw struggled for a couple of instances against one of the best RW in the game where Pep plays a certain way allowing Cancelo inside to leave Shaw isolated and having to choose who he goes with. Pretty much everytime Shaw has come up against Mahrez he’s pocketed him. At some point every fullback will get beaten but it’s about the consistency and Shaw has consistently been one of if not thee best performing fullback in the prem if not the world. So really who is currently better than Shaw. I like Digne and Alphonso is practically a winger.
You are being overly harsh on AWB saying the only thing he can do is slide and that comes from someone who has been critical of him. Positionally he’s not been perfect but I feel he’s got better this season. He’s without a doubt up there as one of the best defensive players in world football though. How many do you think would be able to completely shut down, Sterling, Mbappe, Neymar, and even the prem trick boxes like Zaha and Saint-Maximin. He’s an incredible defender in 1-1, and he’s without a doubt improving at the back post too in his positional play.

Shaw is an excellent tutor in that regard as he’s always been brilliant at covering the back post area.

AgentSmith

You are being overly harsh on AWB saying the only thing he can do is slide and that comes from someone who has been critical of him. Positionally he’s not been perfect but I feel he’s got better this season. He’s without a doubt up there as one of the best defensive players in world football though. How many do you think would be able to completely shut down, Sterling, Mbappe, Neymar, and even the prem trick boxes like Zaha and Saint-Maximin. He’s an incredible defender in 1-1, and he’s without a doubt improving at the back post too in his positional play.

Shaw is an excellent tutor in that regard as he’s always been brilliant at covering the back post area.
I thought it was interesting that one of the only players who I thought got the better of AWB from LW was Foden earlier in the season. And he mainly did it through clever movement and quick passing; he didn't really try to take AWB on or dribble past him. The man is a brick wall if you're running at him with the ball.

Ekeke

I thought it was interesting that one of the only players who I thought got the better of AWB from LW was Foden earlier in the season. And he mainly did it through clever movement and quick passing; he didn't really try to take AWB on or dribble past him. The man is a brick wall if you're running at him with the ball.
Yes. How you deal with AWB is you overlap and play the ball into the space he's left to confront the player who had the ball. Then you're dealing with Lindelof coming across to cover behind AWB, or nobody if hes slow to do that, or Greenwood or someone tracking back occasionally.

What this means is AWB has still neutralized the winger. The winger has accepted that and chosen to play the ball inside or outside on the overlap.

Now AWB needs to track that winger in case they run for another pass. Thats what he can still improve on. Sometimes he'll do well with this, other times hes not the best at keeping with the player. If AWB then tracks back with the winger every time to either block the passing lane or, if they manage to make the pass he then holds him up and the winger chooses once again to pass the ball to someone else then AWB has done everything you can possibly ask for from your fullback defensively.

At that point its completely on his teammates, Lindelof, one of the DMs or a winger tracking back to deal with the players who are linking up with the winger. AWB can't do it all alone so attacks can still easily come in from that side by simply not taking him on and passing around him. You'd still be taking the dribbling option away from the wingers and a lot of wingers want to run at players so that can be effective. But the rest of the team needs to work with him when there are multiple players attacking down that side. No fullback is going to defend against 2 or 3 players passing the ball in triangles without their teammates making the numbers even

A-man

Yeah, very difficult to evaluate. I agree though that he is a very smart defender and often doesn't need to tackle or clear the ball through his use of positioning and his obvious physical talents.

As a matter of interest, would you say Shaw's having a world class season or do you think that's maybe a little strong?
He could be slightly better at contributing to our attack. He now has 1 goal and 5 assists which is good but that could be improved even more. However we don’t really have any forwards who can convert those crosses.
He could improve more 1v1.
I think he could run home better sometimes even if that has improved a lot.
He could, as someone else stated, be faster and better at shutting down crosses.

I sound negative but I really think he’s been our best player lately. Compared to Bruno who also is competing for being our best player, Shaw has some advantages imo. I think he is tactically better and also has top notch decision making. He doesn’t lose the ball with chance passes in a game where we have little possession. He knows when to go for it and when to not take risks. He adapt his way of playing to the match situation. And as said before, he is a very smart defender who doesn’t defend with last ditch tackles and clearances. I also think he has improved his positional awareness.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
AWB is also extremely good at blocking crosses, which is probably Shaw's biggest (only?) defensive weakness. Shaw does have a tendency to sit off just a bit too much which allows his opponent to get crosses or passes into the box.
Agreed. He's been great lately but I regularly find myself shouting at him to get closer in those positions.

Raven

He could be slightly better at contributing to our attack. He now has 1 goal and 5 assists which is good but that could be improved even more. However we don’t really have any forwards who can convert those crosses.
He could improve more 1v1.
I think he could run home better sometimes even if that has improved a lot.
He could, as someone else stated, be faster and better at shutting down crosses.

I sound negative but I really think he’s been our best player lately. Compared to Bruno who also is competing for being our best player, Shaw has some advantages imo. I think he is tactically better and also has top notch decision making. He doesn’t lose the ball with chance passes in a game where we have little possession. He knows when to go for it and when to not take risks. He adapt his way of playing to the match situation. And as said before, he is a very smart defender who doesn’t defend with last ditch tackles and clearances. I also think he has improved his positional awareness.
I don't think you sound particularly negative, there's definitely areas of his game he can improve upon like blocking crosses. My point about him being world class is that he's better at being a LB than all other LBs barring maybe 3 or 4, this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.