Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andersons Dietician

AWB is also extremely good at blocking crosses, which is probably Shaw's biggest (only?) defensive weakness. Shaw does have a tendency to sit off just a bit too much which allows his opponent to get crosses or passes into the box.
I think the fact that Shaw spends a lot of time protecting Maguire and Rashford not tracking back he’s always at a disadvantage at getting out to a cross. Bissaka doesn’t have this issue and normally just ends up in a race with someone down the line and gets a block in. He rarely goes out to someone from a central position. To me that’s just how defending is done now, it’s positional instead of the way I’m sure many of us were raised where it was get to the man at any cost and stop the ball coming in.

In certain situations team shape and being set is more important than being overly aggressive and loosing shape especially if the ball is in controlled possesion of the opposition. So when the ball is worked out wide for example I don’t think the modern fullbacks job is to get right to that persons face. It’s to position yourself to make them make a decision. They either attempt a cross that has been made difficult or try to go past the fullback to make a better angle. These actions allowing your team to get back and position themselves so any ball in isnt as bad of a threat.

To me that’s just a development of defending in that situation. If Shaw commits to charging out it makes it easier to pass him and then the situation is more dangerous. However if we are further up the pitch with more room behind them to correct a mistake then defenders commit more. Shaw when caught high goes with that attacker and more often than not blocks any cross in because it’s a situation he can affect.

Its the same with people slagging off Lindelof, he positions himself to buy time for the team to set. It’s not backing off cowardly, it’s just good defending till the rest of the defence is set. Again higher up the pitch more aggression is shown or if it’s an aerial ball.

To me defending has just evolved.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He is just brilliant. When he has possession, you know it's safe. Also one of our main creators today.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
The most improved player I think I've ever seen. Pretty amazing really.

sidsutton

Top class. That skill on 87 minutes to get out of a tight spot sums up where his confidence is right now.

united for life

His confidence level is so high now he can do anything and look good. He’s improved and matured so much this year. The best left back in the league. He doesn’t get enough credit

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
So good again. His first touch is proper underrated.

Absolutely bullied Antonio and made everything look so easy.

Yagami

Good post resistant
After all the years of unwarranted abuse, I'm loving all the praise he's finally getting.

People scoffed when I and others said he could play as a central midfielder. I wonder if they still would. He has all the attributes to play there.

Pep would love him as his inside full back.

dbs235

Top class. That skill on 87 minutes to get out of a tight spot sums up where his confidence is right now.
He's been in that good form that I expected him to somehow do it, and he did. Praying he doesn't get injured.

el3mel

Flawless performance as usual. Very consistent and never puts anything less than 7/10 a game.

Rajma

He’s been massive and I would say only him and Fernandes from this team wouldn’t be out of place playing for any team in Europe. Proper footballers.

Roboc7

Improvement in his attacking play is very impressive, thought he was comfortably MOTM.

Foxbatt

After all the years of unwarranted abuse, I'm loving all the praise he's finally getting.

People scoffed when I and others said he could play as a central midfielder. I wonder if they still would. He has all the attributes to play there.

Pep would love him as his inside full back.
This is what I asked in the match day thread too. He seems to have the ability to play in central midfield.

Hephaestus

That control about 60 minutes in was spectacular, great performance all round from him.

Yagami

Good post resistant
This is what I asked in the match day thread too. He seems to have the ability to play in central midfield.
Immaculate first touch
Good under pressure with his ball shielding
A very good passer. His passes between the lines are reminiscent of Carrick.
Great positonal sense, which is why he's a very good interceptor of the ball
Etc...

I think he'd thrive there, and have thought so for years.

Andersons Dietician

Best player on the team. Honestly he does things or controls difficult balls under preasure in ways Pogba and Bruno could only dream of. Some of its just ridiculous. Physically an absolute tank. Develop a right foot and skys the limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.