Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Hopefully its enough for us to attract a serious buyer.

Oranges038

Don't you know that one half decent game means that Luke "the most talented player in the squad (*when he's arsed)" Shaw is back to being the best left back in the world again.

Why would you want a buyer?

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Honestly thought he was very good. Any criticism for the 3rd goal is a little absurd. That moment his shocking positioning played everyone onside though (linesman actually flagged it for offside) was typical Luke.

Raven

He was pretty good last night although a little sloppy, which is probably down to match fitness. Hopefully he can rediscover his form because he's an excellent player and it would be a huge boost for us.

Dorris

He’ll be first choice again soon. He just seems to be another victim of the anti-England brigade to me and lumped in with Maguire, his flaws are so exaggerated.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He’ll be first choice again soon. He just seems to be another victim of the anti-England brigade to me and lumped in with Maguire, his flaws are so exaggerated.
Love you :drool:

little.triangles

Absolute rubbish.

He was sh*t in the first two games, a complete liability along with Maguire. Malacia's arrival has lit a fire under his a*se. Nobody doubts his quality, but Shaw always needs a fire burning under there because he can't motivate himself.

Shark

@NotShark
He looks much more slim. Hopefully we're getting the Shaw of a couple of seasons back again.

Baneofthegame

Odd that he has a good game and people come in here to slag him off.

I don’t think anyones suggesting we should make him the starting LB again, but it’s good to see one of our players have a good game.

I swear some of you want our players to be shit so you can abuse them in the PP threads.

Lentwood

Intrigued to see whether ETH can integrate Shaw and get him functioning in his system. One of the reasons I struggle to give up on Shaw is because he is so talented/press-resistant on the ball for a LB.

With ETHs style of pushing the FBs into midfield, this could be perfect for Shaw, who I think could play that position well with the game unfolding ahead of him.

I wonder if the little experiment with Malacia at RB against Sheriff was to see whether we could work Shaw in at LB...who knows?

*before anybody comes in to moan, I personally have no preference for who starts at LB from Malacia/Shaw, I just think it's beneficial if we have competition and they push each other to do better

Jericho

Ten Hag dropped him, he must be the ringleader of the anti-England brigade :rolleyes:. There's no need to make excuses for him, Shaw has been poor. He just needs to own up to that and work harder.

little.triangles

Ten Hag dropped him, he must be the ringleader of the anti-England brigade :rolleyes:. There's no need to make excuses for him, Shaw has been poor. He just needs to own up to that and work harder.
The confidence with which some state this as thought it were fact is really quite astounding. People follow United, a club in England, but they have a thing against English players? Wut?

Kaos

And I'm assuming its the same anti-English brigade who are showing more patience towards the likes of Sancho, backing him to come good?

Perhaps its just that Maguire and Shaw aren't very good or consistent enough. They've been here long enough to justify that criticism. But let's just paint it as a bit of Anglophobia.

Bebestation

And I'm assuming its the same anti-English brigade who are showing more patience towards the likes of Sancho, backing him to come good?

Perhaps its just that Maguire and Shaw aren't very good or consistent enough. They've been here long enough to justify that criticism. But let's just paint it as a bit of Anglophobia.
That’s purely because it’s the fanbase wanted Sancho for being a shiny English toy that came from abroad and they dont want to fail.

The same thing is happening now with Bellingham being treated differently to every other English player in the world that doesn’t play abroad.

I’m so glad Rashford’s shut some of these fans up because he was getting the worst of it all.

Kaos

That’s purely because it’s the fanbase wanted Sancho for being a shiny English toy that came from abroad and they dont

The same thing is happening now with Bellingham being treated differently to every other English player in the world that doesn’t play abroad.

I’m so glad Rashford’s shut some of these fans up because he was getting the worst of it all.
Then its not anti-English sentiment then is it? And if anything, English players who've played abroad should be considered enticing prospects because of potentially how much more to their game they've added playing in different leagues.

romufc

Shaw is a very good footballer, there have been no questions about that, he is one of the better players in our squad technically.

So, he is always going to put these performances which shouldn't change peoples mind about him.

Where he lacks is his understanding of the modern game and how modern managers want to play, with intensity. Luke Shaw does not possess those qualities, he like Maguire prefers to backtrack and try to delay opponents rather than engaging.

Malacia does that, which means sometimes he will get beaten, I accept that because that way, we can play on the front foot, winning the ball back quicker and transitioning. Shaw is very lazy defensively.

Lentwood

There does seem to be an anti-English/British sentiment in my opinion. The likes of Shaw, Maguire, AWB, Rashford and McTominay (Scottish, I know) have taken dogs abuse and called all sorts of names over the last two seasons, whilst very poor/non-existent performers like Eric Bailly, Anthony Martial, Donny van de Beek, Fred and Diogo Dalot seem to enjoy large pockets of support and are generally seen in a favourable light and/or portrayed as having being treated unfairly.

To be clear....I wouldn't say it's malicious or based in xenophobia/racism at all, I just think there are a few factors behind this...

1) We have a global fanbase. Many of our non-British forum members will naturally rate their league/'their' players higher than non-natives. Plus there is the natural tribalism that comes with supporting sports team i.e. "our lot are better than your lot".
2) Many posters seem to feel that English players get an easy ride in the press*
3) English football fans/media are generally perceived by non-English football fans to be arrogant/deluded - 'it's coming home', 'best league in the World' etc...and therefore have a general dislike of English football/players/supporters/press
4) The club seemed to openly pursue a policy of signing British players under Solskjaer, which led to some supporters labelling us 'Brexit FC'. It was perceived by many that Ole favoured the British players and therefore as Ole's popularity waned, this was used as a stick to beat him.
5) Certain individuals have fuelled the fire by claiming English players are preferred at United, despite there being little to no evidence for this (Eric Bailly)

There are definitely other factors at play here and it's a controversial subject for sure...but it does seem to me like some posters want certain players to fail, and I find that bizarre.

*on the point about the British press...I would say I strongly disagree that British players are treated favourably. I would say that the British press do love to build a player up quickly but then they love to tear them back down twice as fast!

little.triangles

There does seem to be an anti-English/British sentiment in my opinion. The likes of Shaw, Maguire, AWB, Rashford and McTominay (Scottish, I know) have taken dogs abuse and called all sorts of names over the last two seasons, whilst very poor/non-existent performers like Eric Bailly, Anthony Martial, Donny van de Beek, Fred and Diogo Dalot seem to enjoy large pockets of support and are generally seen in a favourable light and/or portrayed as having being treated unfairly.

To be clear....I wouldn't say it's malicious or based in xenophobia/racism at all, I just think there are a few factors behind this...

1) We have a global fanbase. Many of our non-British forum members will naturally rate their league/'their' players higher than non-natives.
2) Many posters seem to feel that English players get an easy ride in the press*
3) English football fans/media are generally perceived by non-English football fans to be arrogant/deluded - 'it's coming home', 'best league in the World' etc...and therefore have a general dislike of English football/players/supporters/press
4) The club seemed to openly pursue a policy of signing British players under Solskjaer, which led to some supporters labelling us 'Brexit FC'. It was perceived by many that Ole favoured the British players and therefore as Ole's popularity waned, this was used as a stick to beat him.
5) Certain individuals have fuelled the fire by claiming English players are preferred at United, despite there being little to no evidence for this (Eric Bailly)

There are definitely other factors at play here and it's a controversial subject for sure...but it does seem to me like some posters want certain players to fail, and I find that bizarre.

*on the point about the British press...I would say I strongly disagree that British players are treated favourably. I would say that the British press do love to build a player up quickly but then they love to tear them back down twice as fast!
Your whole argument fails with the mention of Fred. Really? Fred has got less abuse relative to the British players? Goodness.

Lentwood

Your whole argument fails with the mention of Fred. Really? Fred has got less abuse relative to the British players? Goodness.
100% Fred gets less abuse.

Fred doesn't get abuse. He gets criticism for sure, but not abuse. In fact, I would say Fred is largely liked by the fanbase on the whole, despite him being a consistently poor performer (or as poor as any of the others, certainly)

Shaw is called fat and lazy. That is abuse. Maguire is called a donkey/fridge etc...that is abuse.

Nobody is saying those things about Fred or questioning his character, they are just saying he is a poor footballer....because he is!

Bebestation

Fred doesn't get abuse. He gets criticism for sure, but not abuse.

Shaw is called fat and lazy. That is abuse. Maguire is called a donkey/fridge etc...that is abuse.

Nobody is saying those things about Fred or questioning his character, they are just saying he is a poor footballer....because he is!
This. So much this.

little.triangles

Fred doesn't get abuse. He gets criticism for sure, but not abuse.

Yeah Maguire is called a donkey and Fred is called a mosquito.

I am sure I don't need to tell you who called him a mosquito.

Godfather

Pogba must be proper British if that's the reason players get abuse on here. Or Ronaldo. Some absolute drivel spouted on here. The board is really going down the shitter.

Lentwood

Yeah Maguire is called a donkey and Fred is called a mosquito.

I am sure I don't need to tell you who called him a mosquito.
That's a complete false equivalence. I believe you're referring to a post where I said something like "Fred buzzes around like a mosquito/is too lightweight' or something like that...I would dispute that that is abuse. It's a simile for a start...I am saying something is "like" something...not "is" something. Also 'buzzes around' is common parlance in life and in football.

Calling people fat or donkeys or lazy or whatever is totally different in my opinion...but then again, we're getting deeply into semantics here

Lentwood

Pogba must be proper British if that's the reason players get abuse on here. Or Ronaldo. Some absolute drivel spouted on here. The board is really going down the shitter.
There is definitely, 100%, real racism in the treatment of black players by the media. For example, black players are far more likely to be described as 'erratic', 'lazy' or 'error-prone'. I think that is true for sure.

I just want to be really clear again because this is an Internet forum and conversations happen in pockets - absolutely nobody (as far as I am aware), certainly not me, is claiming that ANY of the stick Maguire/Shaw etc...get is in any way, shape or form down to anglophobia/racism/xenophobia. I gave my reasons above for my opinion, if you don't agree, that's fine...but I wanted to be clear this is not, for me at least, about Anglophobia/xenophobia/racism.

However, to your post, in the case of Pogba's relationship with most United fans, I would say that was ruined by his agent and the interviews he gave flirting with other clubs AND then him going on to say our contract offer was 'nothing' and making that TV program which showed him in a poor light.

I would dispute Ronaldo is abused. This is a man who once accused the club of treating him 'like a slave' (poor choice of words), angled for a move (and got it) then came back, left the Derby and went home after being benched and then spent all Summer saying he wanted to leave the club. Yet I'd still say he's largely liked.

little.triangles

That's a complete false equivalence. I believe you're referring to a post where I said something like "Fred buzzes around like a mosquito/is too lightweight' or something like that...I would dispute that that is abuse. It's a simile for a start...I am saying something is "like" something...not "is" something. Also 'buzzes around' is common parlance in life and in football.

Calling people fat or donkeys or lazy or whatever is totally different in my opinion...but then again, we're getting deeply into semantics here
You didn't exactly say buzzes around. You said he has the physical presence of a mosquito. So yes we are in the realm of semantics, the difference between a simile and a metaphor. Splitting hairs in other words. To a player reading he is or is like a mosquito can be both constituted as abuse depending on how sensitive they are.

On match day threads I have read the most vile things being said about Fred. And also against Shaw and Maguire. I don't condone it in either case when it is not about their playing performance. But even calling somebody fat or a fridge, while abuse, is not stemming from an anti-English bias. Comments have been made about Hazard's bottom for instance. He is not English.

Most United fans don't care about the nationality of their players. In fact foreign fans like me love it when we have homegrown players coming through at United. They are, of course, always (edit: not always but often) English.

Bebestation

You didn't exactly say buzzes around. You said he has the physical presence of a mosquito. So yes we are in the realm of semantics, the difference between a simile and a metaphor. Splitting hairs in other words. To a player reading he is or is like a mosquito can be both constituted as abuse depending on how sensitive they are.

On match day threads I have read the most vile things being said about Fred. And also against Shaw and Maguire. I don't condone it in either case when it is not about their playing performance. But even calling somebody fat or a fridge, while abuse, is not stemming from an anti-English bias. Comments have been made about Hazard's bottom for instance. He is not English.

Most United fans don't care about the nationality of their players. In fact foreign fans like me love it when we have homegrown players coming through at United. They are, of course, always English.
Having a physical presence of a Mosquito is much more about criticism about a players ability than bullying.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Here we go again :lol:

Lentwood

Most United fans don't care about the nationality of their players. In fact foreign fans like me love it when we have homegrown players coming through at United. They are, of course, always English.
I am sure you are right about the Match Day threads, I rarely go into them purely because I do find they are the absolute pits in that they are the worst of all of fans' in-game emotions. That doesn't excuse it, but we all go that little bit further than we should sometimes when we are emotional. I have written things in the past that for sure I have thought "maybe that was a little too far".

I suppose what I didn't like (and what got me annoyed) was the Brexit FC stuff and the Eric Bailly stuff, which I find daft and without substance. As I said above, I 100%, firmly agree there is no 'anglophobia', I will say that for sure. I just think that sort of nonsense stirred the pot and made some supporters feel some lads were getting favourable treatment based on nationality...which again I don't think there is much, if any, evidence for

RuudTom83

Did enough to get himself to the WC I recon.

Harry might need to get a few games in at United to cement his plane ticket.

No hate from me, just glad they both got a run out.

little.triangles

Having a physical presence of a Mosquito is much more about criticism about a players ability than bullying.
You could say the same about calling Maguire a fridge, i.e. he has as much agility as a fridge. @Lentwood objects to this too, which is fine as far as having an opinion goes. But to attribute it to an anti-English bias is crazy.

Who is going to be the gatekeeper of what constitutes bullying when people are always going to be using creative language to make their point? I personally find nothing wrong with players being called refrigerators or mosquitoes. Where I draw the line is when players' looks are mentioned, as in the case of Maguire and the size of his forehead.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Yep - hope he has a strong WC and a good showing in his appearances for us, however limited they may be.

Not sure where he would actually go though. Big 6 all have good LB options. And would Luke let himself go to a non big 6 team? He might have a future at Newcastle anyway.

Cloud7

If Shaw can hit his best form again that would be great for us. The question, as always, is if he can actually do it, and if so for how long can he maintain it?

Bebestation

You could say the same about calling Maguire a fridge, i.e. he has as much agility as a fridge. @Lentwood objects to this too, which is fine as far as having an opinion goes. But to attribute it to an anti-English bias is crazy.

Who is going to be the gatekeeper of what constitutes bullying when people are always going to be using creative language to make their point? I personally find nothing wrong with players being called refrigerators or mosquitoes. Where I draw the line is when players' looks are mentioned, as in the case of Maguire and the size of his forehead.
How does a fridge have agility :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.