Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

OverratedOpinion

I wonder if ten Hag knew Shaw was capable of this ball-progressing, wide left CB role he'd have gone and bought Martinez?
Martinez centre back - Shaw left back is still much better than Shaw and Malacia. We lose a lot of Shaw's playmaking when he is in the centre.

HookedOnAPhelan

I think he has profited from having a proper coach (and discipline) more than anyone in our squad except Marcus. His talent has always been undeniable, but he's now looking consistently world class.

Well done Luke.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
It would be a travesty if he finished career without winning a couple of league titles and a proper CL run.

He's a seriously good footballer who really seems to have settled into a rhythm finally. I just hope for the likes of him, Rashford and Bruno winning something with United under this regime kick-starts something. There is definitely a different feeling from the trophy winning seasons under LVG or Mourinho.

FriedClams

His best position is still left back, especially in terms of how effective he can be overall. Martinez should get his place back now, he has done everything Shaw did today really but there isn’t a Lb in the world right now doing what Shaw does. He’s making the right decision every single time he gets the ball. We have game changers all over the park, I just wish we could add a right back version of Shaw as the team would be pretty complete.

criticalanalysis

No, both Matic and Shaw simulatenously went in on Traore and he sent both flying. He’s also accelerated past Shaw numerous times. Shaw has great top speed but isn’t amongst the quickest in terms of acceleration. He’s not even our fastest defender. I think Varane would be…

Do you honestly think Shaw has the speed of Walker? Good top speed for sure, but not elite like Walker.

He lost a straight foot race with a head start against Villa I believe, resulting in a goal, and that player was fast but not Walker fast.

Yes, Shaw is great physically. Very strong, fast, good leap, but please, let’s not write a narrative far removed from the truth. He often fails to stop crosses because he struggles on the first five-ten yards, and his positioning as a fullback can be suspect - not so as a centre back, thus far. He’s been brilliant.

Sounds like I’m bashing Shaw here, but I really like him. When fit he’s amongst the best fullbacks in the league. His first touch is sublime, and he’s brilliant moving the play up the pitch. His lokg range passing has also suprised me of late - really good! His final ball is not quite there, and defensively he can be a little suspect, yet far better than many other modern fullbacks.
Only thing I disagree there. I think it's more to do with his lackadaisical attitude to getting tight down that left channel; he seems to be constantly in a relaxed jogging posture rather than alert and low centre of gravity. It's bloody infuriating because you know no one can breeze past him if he really wanted to try. It's probably a fear of getting done (PTSD from the Mourinho days :smirk: ) so he'd rather let them send a deep cross.

Anyways, today he was pretty good. A bit too much back passing in the first half for me but overall a very solid performance.

I always rated his aerial strength as he has a really good leap, along with a wide and strong core (similar to why Martinez is so good at it); it's about getting to the ball first as much as being able to hold your position and influence the space so that the opposition don't win it. I remember him defending well against Drogba in his debut season with us and thinking, 'wow he's got that in his locker'.

Last edited:

Eddy_JukeZ

He's just an exceptional footballer.

If he had a fancier name, he'd be getting praised non-stop by the footballing media.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Might take him two or three games, but I reckon he’d easily be an upgrade even on Eriksen alongside Casemiro in midfield. Would give us a lot of De Jong like qualities.

His form hasn’t surprised me at all, the guy is phenomenal and one player I can never speak highly enough of. He’s just good at football. It’s not a position thing, if you took him to the park or to cage football, he’d look outstanding as he just handles the football brilliantly and also has elite physical gifts.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
He's just an exceptional footballer.

If he had a fancier name, he'd be getting praised non-stop by the footballing media.
I both agree and disagree.
Luke Shaw's ability has never been the issue. He's always been this good at football. The problem is that he can go from this, to League 1 standard from season to season. If he manages to play like this next season too, he will get the praise he deserves. The guy is easily top 3 LBs in the world when he fancies it. Also doesn't help that we've not won anything for years now...

Eddy_JukeZ

Luke Shaw's ability has never been the issue. He's always been this good at football. The problem is that he can go from this, to League 1 standard from season to season. If he manages to play like this next season too, he will get the praise he deserves. The guy is easily top 3 LBs in the world when he fancies it. Also doesn't help that we've not won anything for years now...
He had a poor season last season, but he was incredible the season prior to that and very good prior to that as well.

He's had 3/4 very good seasons now from the last 4 seasons.

Almost everyone was pretty poor last season.

CallyRed

I think we should give him a go as manager when EtH decides to move on. He'll probably be good at that as well.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
This new centre half Shaw is amazing. Well done ETH, well done Luke. He’s travelled a hard road and deserves the rewards

Valencia Shin Crosses

Might take him two or three games, but I reckon he’d easily be an upgrade even on Eriksen alongside Casemiro in midfield. Would give us a lot of De Jong like qualities.

His form hasn’t surprised me at all, the guy is phenomenal and one player I can never speak highly enough of. He’s just good at football. It’s not a position thing, if you took him to the park or to cage football, he’d look outstanding as he just handles the football brilliantly and also has elite physical gifts.
Yeah the only weakness I really think he has is he’s quite one footed, which might bite him in the midfield. But other than that I agree, he’s basically David Alaba in English form you can play him everywhere

JeffFromHK

IMO, He definitely has done a better job against City than what Maguire could had done if we fielded Maguire against city. So rio Ferdinand's Ronaldo-eque "lack of respect" line of argument was rubbish

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
While being "League One standard" last season he was in the top 20-25% of full-backs for virtually every creative and progression stat. His chances created and xA were even higher last season than they are this. Defensively the entire team was poor, even Varane was terrible, the biggest issue was clearly the structure as a team rather than individuals.

The thing is while Varane's poor performances are swept under the rug and excused because the team structure was poor, Shaw's are consistently used as a stick to beat him with. You still see it here with comments who still refuse to give him credit without trying to apportion it to someone else. First it was because of Williams, then Telles, and now its only because of Malacia that he plays well. Then it is only when he is fit. There is always some caveat added to posts about him to downplay and discredit him despite consistently being one of our top performers for the 5th season now.

Mr.Hik

Mourinho was right, but he was idiot to say that public.
ETH managment 10/10

eire-red

He's having a monster season. His emergence at LCB means we could probably move Maguire on in the summer and get away without replacing him. Or at least only need to budget for a backup option.

He still at his best at LB though. Offers more than Malacia going forward.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
He’s a naturally gifted footballer. Just looks so comfortable with the ball. Knows how to use his body, anticipates dangers etc. very good footballer who’s now coming into his prime years and we are seeing it

Orion.

Ive often thought this about him - he’s very similar to Gareth Barry , but has the mobility that GB lacked which ultimately prevented him from being a top, top class player.

I think centreback is the role where he’d thrive the most, but the lack of a legitimate quality replacement at leftback and the signing of Martinez likely mean he won’t be getting much game time there any time soon.

He should be England’s default centreback alongside Stones.

Orion.

The leg break then coming back to the spite of Mourinho derailed his destined development, but he’s got himself back to where he should be and he deserves great credit. He’s easily England’s best natural footballer, and hopefully continues to succeed while Jose drowns in mediocrity.

Bondi77

It is great to see him being appreciated as an exceptional footballer on here instead of taking shots at his body shape.
Well done.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
League 1 standard my ass.

He’s been pretty much At worst the top 3 player we’ve had over the past 5 years.

It’s not his fault that the likes of Scott and Maguire doesn’t help to cover up when we need Shaw further upfront because we are so reliant on him to create attacking opportunities and his attacking stats look bad because our forwards are just terrible at finishing.

meamth

I will never get tired of his ball control. So neat and assured, the complete footballer. I said that many times and I will never get tired of telling that to everyone.

Love him and glad everything goes well for him.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Been sensational wherever he's played this season. He is so tidy on the ball, and always positionally aware. He's also been great in the air. He's doing everything right.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
There was a tricky situation where Haaland had the ball and I thought oh that is dangerous, but Shaw just casually dispossessed him like Nesta at his best. What a turnaround he‘s been

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Shaw is simply better at football than both Maguire and Lindelof. EtH also prefers balance and being left-footed it's between Martinez and Shaw for the position of left centre-back. Wouldn't be surprised if both Maguire and Lindelof are sold and another centre-back comes in the summer as a replacement.
Yes please

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
One of the most well-rounded defenders we've ever had, and I'm including Fergie's reign.

Status
Not open for further replies.