Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I’m telling you, give him the game time to settle and learn the fundamentals and he’d probably be our second best defensive midfielder too at this point. Mega player

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Some of the comments at the start of the season in here were way too dismissive. As good as any player we have, pure silk.

The United

What he has above Martinez is his pace while being as (almost) good as him playing at CB.

I think ETH would keep him there if he can have a decent LB.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Will say again I don’t care how it sounds - at his best he is Maldini good.

lex talionis

Shaw was brilliant today. It’s all about team defending, but did Shaw allow Haaland any decent looks on goal? Don’t think so.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Brilliant. Surprised he got the nod over Martinez but did a splendid job.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He was surprisingly fantastic , didn't seem out of place at all which is bizarre.

He's so naturally talented i just hope he keeps it up.

justboy68

He's a great bloody footballer when he wants to be. Like others have said he's the type that could probably do a job for you anywhere across the midfield and defence.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Class. Glad he can serve as a perfect cover for Martinez and Malacia is very good at LB so that we have very good cover in case anyone gets injured there.

PeteManic

Is it true that Shaw originally "volunteered" (word used in Guardian article) to play at CB when no one was available? Did he play there as a youngster?

December_16

He's a great bloody footballer when he wants to be. Like others have said he's the type that could probably do a job for you anywhere across the midfield and defence.
Feck it, stick him up top and he can do a bang-up job as a striker too. Good heading of the ball, great first touch, good at using his big bum shielding the ball, can strike with both feet ;)

sammyhol

Malacia was superb at LB today?
he was.Thought him and AWB were both great.

but Shaw is a cut above and so important in attack.

I can see him becoming our best player at LCB as well as LB.

but on balance, I’d have him at LB over the course of a season.

Hackman2210

Luke shaw - is there a better player in the premier league at the moment?
I can’t believe he’s only 27 - we got another 8 seasons to look forward to. With his style of play he could play CB til he’s 35 no probs.

Dr Foo

Amazing to have players of his ilk akin to the Lahms and Alabas who are so smart, classy and solid in various positions. Never knew he had this side. I agree, as had been mentioned, that he will thrive either in CB or DM in the later stages of his career. Would put him back at LB due to his significant attacking combination play over Malacia. Quite mental really to be able to play different positions to same elite level

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Is it true that Shaw originally "volunteered" (word used in Guardian article) to play at CB when no one was available? Did he play there as a youngster?
It's true. As a young LB at Southampton, before we signed him, one of his main strengths was his ability to tuck inside from the FB position and defend in the box when it was necessary. It's a defensive trait that not all FBs learn to do at a high level, specially at a young age, because it demands good timing and reading of the game. So, he already had that in his arsenal. With how the CB position has developed over the last decade, i can see why both he and ETH believed that it was worth a shot.

Bobski

Luke shaw - is there a better player in the premier league at the moment?
I can’t believe he’s only 27 - we got another 8 seasons to look forward to. With his style of play he could play CB til he’s 35 no probs.
Stealth contender for player of the season. Doesn't have the narrative behind him to win it but he is one of the most gifted players in the league and playing like it.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Remarkably, for me, the thing that's always worried me about Shaw is his positioning. However, as a centre back he's been really, really good. I thought it was an odd experiment playing him at centre back. Starting to look a serious option there.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I'm sure he was one of the many players a large portion of fans wanted rid. Like with Rashford, they are truly shutting up the previous doubters!

Status
Not open for further replies.