Luke Shaw says Manchester United need signings

Crashoutcassius

While I agree with the point, I don't think that a current player should make that type of statement mainly because there is a finite amount of spots in the squad and that he is essentially making the point that some of his teammates should be jettisoned. How is the locker room supposed to take it and it's even worse when it comes from a player that shouldn't be a guaranteed mainstay. But there is one positive about it, we now know without doubts that this football club doesn't have strong leadership at the managerial level which includes both Woodward and Ole.
I know what you're saying but really there isn't a finite amount of spots, and we moved from Europa to CL which is what ole used to say that we need to strengthen without throwing any current players under the bus - we simply need more experience and quality in the squad because there are less 'rest' games in the CL

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
This goes with what Neville was saying on commentary yesterday that the players themselves feel the need for signings to spell them relief and add quality to compete.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I know what you're saying but really there isn't a finite amount of spots, and we moved from Europa to CL which is what ole used to say that we need to strengthen without throwing any current players under the bus - we simply need more experience and quality in the squad because there are less 'rest' games in the CL
There is literally a finite amount of spot, you have a limited amount of players that you can register in each competitions.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Not half as bonkers as your post.

It's clear as day that this squad isn't good enough to compete at the highest level, and it's it seems pretty obvious that the ambition of the club as displayed by the owners is frustrating everyone but...well...the cnuts in charge.

Our form at the end of the season was utter wank...we got by. The last time we played anything like cohesive football was the second half at Villa.

And who is talking about 200 million? It's crazy to think we can't significantly improve this squad and even first 11 with a decent budget.

We could have backed the positivity feeling of last season by showing some actual intent on improving...

Yesterday was about alot more than that though which is where I think you have a point.
Right. You’ve taken my objection to one of our players publicly saying we can’t compete without signings as some sort of post thinking we’re good enough. There’s a balance. Yes, we need to improve. However, I don’t really think players publicly and privately thinking we’re fecked going into the season is a particularly good thing. What sort of mentality is that? How about they try and fecking improve? Luke Shaw is paid a sodding fortune. He’s one the ones we apparently want to replace. Maybe he should look in the mirror and think about why that’s the case. He can start by looking at his piss poor defending for the first goal yesterday.

How long until we see a Rooney moment where a top player publicly questions the club's ambition and requests a transfer?
Which top player would that be?

We have a good squad of players, but no one of the class of Rooney.

Rooney was a throwback, you don’t see players like that anymore. Most players (from all teams) are happy to swap shorts and have a laugh after the final whistle.

fps

I agree with him, that first 11 exhausted itself last season to get CL football, must be disheartening not to see the club build on that effort.

Steve 007

I think the team selection yesterday was also to prove a point. James for example was only supposed to be a prospect/ squad player for the time been.
I get that the C-19 stuff has affected income. What I don’t understand is why we don’t just have a set price fire sale of 10million for all the players who’ll not be getting a game.
Snalling, Jones, Romero, Rojo, Lingard and Perriera could all go for £10 million each. £60 000 000 brought back in plus the wages saved. Possibly even add Mata to that list, if we got Sancho and if we bring in a left back we could get Dalot out too.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
The “we need more players as the teams around us are strengthening” is a fact and a valid expectation. It shouldn’t be an excuse at all for yesterday’s performance but it will have a very negative impact on squad moral if we still don’t make more signings this transfer window.
The players know best after all how most of them had to play week in week out last season and how we just got over the line complete knackered. Now with only VdB added and the clubs playing a game every 3-4 days for the whole season the players know exactly that United are not going anywhere with such a paper thin group of core players. And they as all of us keep reading how teams around us are just continuing to sign players.
Coaching and fitness and tactics and all that is a separate discussion but even a great coach like Pep has an incredible squad depth and this team could have the best coaching but would still be completely exhausted physically and mentally very soon with no (quality/decent) rotation. In addition Shaw himself probably knows it would take a miracle for him to stay fit for the whole upcoming season.

We need more players irrespective of how long Ole is here. We don’t need them just for this season but for the next as well. Next summer the Euros are scheduled. If the players are completely overused and then play in the Euros they will be tired again for the start of the next season. And that’s not even taking into account the yearly injuries United get.

Fair enough if we can’t sign Sancho, but why haven’t we signed other players? I really hope we still sign 2-3 players at least and offload the ones we don’t need even if it is for less money than we would like to get for them.

The Original

Ole and Shaw are saying the same thing so you can see it’s not Ole being the problem and very much the owners and Woodward dragging their heels or penny pinching so they can pay themselves bigger dividends.

We’ve been tracking Sancho as our number one target for two years and now can have him but won’t pay the fee whilst we’ve apparently according to two tier one journalists agreed terms with Telles but haven’t agreed a fee, simply put Woodward and Judge are awful negotiators and struggle working on agreeing deals with other clubs because they’re NOT football men.

There is an obvious contradiction in your argument, which is the fact that football men are not expected to handle negotiations.

The job of negotiators is not simply to agree to whatever fee set forth by the selling club, but rather to get the best deal for the club. If they can't get the best deal because the selling club is being stubborn, do they then become great negotiators by simply agreeing to the demands?

binary bot
It's astonishing when you think we scraped top four and are relatively weaker than last season due to the lack of improvements.

I was so optimistic about the summer with top four and Sanchez wages gone

AFC NimbleThumb

How long until we see a Rooney moment where a top player publicly questions the club's ambition and requests a transfer?
When Pogba refuses to sign a contract offer I’ll take it as such.

From a player perspective, if I were incoming & had to deal with the club stalling negotiations as they do you’d have to question coming in.

Verminator

It's astonishing when you think we scraped top four and are relatively weaker than last season due to the lack of improvements.

I was so optimistic about the summer with top four and Sanchez wages gone
I'm feeling deflated myself.
Imagine being a player that ran yourself into the ground after the restart, expecting things to be easier next season, with a better squad. Only to see everybody else adding first team quality, while your club stumbles into the next season, without the chance to recharge your batteries, and no preseason, knowing that just to tread water in the league, the same effort and more will be required.
feck you Ed! You can't redline a racecar without spending on maintenance. And you don't remain competitive without investing in development.

Walters_19_MuFc

This is the problem with the media. Do we need signings? Yes! Season after season you always want to improve your squad. However, this is no excuse for the shit show we put on display yesterday.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Its 100% true. The players feel deflated after our refusal to strengthen what is a squad that is obviously lacking. So frustrating when you see other clubs being aggressive in the market to improve, and us doing nothing.

Saddy

Need more than him saying it.

Need our captain, need bruno, pogba, our key players saying it
I understand this but let's see these top players putting a shift in like other teams do against us - that's the fundamental difference that Keane, Beckham, Scholes etc would always say about their time at the club - match the other team in effort and then play them off the park.

I'm willing to support Ole until December but we need to see several players getting back to their high levels and if they don't it's 50/50 down to player and manager + team of coaches. Let's give them one bad match down to "match fitness" but the Spurs match will be defining for us and we cannot afford to give the top 4 another 10 point start on us !

Out of the top 5/6 in December and he will be gone IMO

Himannv

Shaw dropped a clanger, but apart from that, wasn't too bad, in comparison.
Rashford seriously stifled him, and he lit up when DVB came on with his pass and move style.
I thought Shaw and VBD linked up really well vs Villa. Ole really should have started VDB and brought Pogba on later IMO, but it's all very well to say that in hindsight.

Water Melon

Well done, Luke. A new player may cost you your place in starting 11, but it is clear as day that we need to strengthen. Nevertheless, we should have won yesterday even if we had not signed VdB, and the loss is entirely on Ole and our coaching staff imo. Ideally we need new people both in the Board and coaching/managing team, but this is just wishful thinking at this stage :(

wolvored

Definitely. Big players used to sign for Man Utd to win big trophies. When they see the club has stagnated it can't help but leave them disillusioned. If you are Pogba would you sign a new deal seeing how unambitious the club's ownership is?
Fixed

crossy1686

career ending
This goes with what Neville was saying on commentary yesterday that the players themselves feel the need for signings to spell them relief and add quality to compete.
I’ve been trying to make this point in the Ole out thread.

Last season we were 3rd/4th best team in the country, that’s fine but it’s not the reason players join Manchester United. The players we have on the books singed on the promise that we’ll be competing for titles. They’ll take a season or two here and there of transition but to stay at United now when the board are not bringing in players they promised you they would is a waste of your career at the top level.

Fernandes could easily move to Madrid or Bayern and win trophies, same for Pogba, Martial, Rashford. But instead, they look over to to the bench and see Lingard dabbing and Jones in an foot cast and question what the point in playing for this club is. They also know they signed a massive contract and they can’t get out any time soon, so this season of wasted time is actually the next 4 years of their contract, completely gone with the boards lack of ambition.

Hopefully more players come out and say we need signings because at the moment the board are trying to blame the fans for this negativity. Look in the mirror you parasites.

Zlatattack

Watching the Amazon Spurs show this isn’t a surprise. The players watch SSN and keep up to date on Twitter for news as much as us.
They're not thick. They know thier success also rests on a good squad. It pains me to say it but Liverpool are doing things perfectly right now - other than signing a partner for VVD.

wolvored

I think the team selection yesterday was also to prove a point. James for example was only supposed to be a prospect/ squad player for the time been.
I get that the C-19 stuff has affected income. What I don’t understand is why we don’t just have a set price fire sale of 10million for all the players who’ll not be getting a game.
Snalling, Jones, Romero, Rojo, Lingard and Perriera could all go for £10 million each. £60 000 000 brought back in plus the wages saved. Possibly even add Mata to that list, if we got Sancho and if we bring in a left back we could get Dalot out too.
You wouldnt get £10 mill for Jones and Rojo and struggle to get it for Periera. The other 3 would all go for £10 mill apiece though.

Web of Bissaka

:devil: The whole club need a shaken up!

Great move!

So what if there are his teammates that get offended, bunch of pussies if they hold a grudge against Shaw. Face it, the squad need to start stepping up their gear, including Shaw himself.

Verminator

I thought Shaw and VBD linked up really well vs Villa. Ole really should have started VDB and brought Pogba on later IMO, but it's all very well to say that in hindsight.
To be honest, forget the questions on whether Donny can start with Brunogba,
I'd have any of those 3 over Rashford and James, playing wide, atm.
A functioning footballer has to improve your chances.
Even getting Telles to occasionally play infront of Shaw wouldn't be as bad as it is right now.

Houdini

He is right. We need a revolution like Barca has. Rash could step up.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
While I agree with the point, I don't think that a current player should make that type of statement mainly because there is a finite amount of spots in the squad and that he is essentially making the point that some of his teammates should be jettisoned. How is the locker room supposed to take it and it's even worse when it comes from a player that shouldn't be a guaranteed mainstay. But there is one positive about it, we now know without doubts that this football club doesn't have strong leadership at the managerial level which includes both Woodward and Ole.
It's a pretty bad look and I agree he's basically calling some of his teammates not good enough but equally it needs to be said. There's no point gilding the lily at this stage.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Transfers make a big difference. It's treated as silly but it's so important and the owners have let the team and supporters down.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's a pretty bad look and I agree he's basically calling some of his teammates not good enough but equally it needs to be said. There's no point gilding the lily at this stage.
It doesn't need to be said, it serves no purpose, it's not going to make anyone within the club realize that the team needs to improve, Ole and/or Woodward didn't read that interview with attention and told themselves that Shaw may be onto something. Fans need to make a big difference between their need for validation and how a club, player or manager should act.

Siorac

Definitely. Players sign for Man Utd to win trophies. When they see the club stagnate it can't help but leave them disillusioned. If you are Pogba would you sign a new deal seeing how unambitious the club's ownership is?
At this point only the stupid ones do. The rest surely understands that there's not much chance of doing that here, unless they're content with the odd League Cup or FA Cup.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Spot on by Shaw. I am happy we can publicly hear the players are not feeling much different about the direction in this transfer window than the fans.

People saying Shaw's wrong to call some of his teammates not good enough are missing the point. They may be good enough (some of them are not) but you can't play the same 11 for the whole season, especially when it's compressed like it will be this year. Shaw gets a 10 for this.

It doesn't need to be said, it serves no purpose, it's not going to make anyone within the club realize that the team needs to improve, Ole and/or Woodward didn't read that interview with attention and told themselves that Shaw may be onto something. Fans need to make a big difference between their need for validation and how a club, player or manager should act.
Well, this is just wrong. The fans have only so many ways to put pressure on our feckless higher-ups.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Why? In your previous post you question how the dressing room is meant to take this kind of statement and say it's worse coming from Shaw as he should arguably be replaced, yet you accept the fans having confirmation of a lack of leadership at the club as a positive. For me there is a further positive in that Shaw as a man under scrutiny still feels it necessary to voice his concerns about the squad, which is an interesting insight into how he and other squad members may be feeling about the current situation. 'Needs to be said' is surely over the top so thanks for picking me up on that, as pretty much no footballer saying anything has ever been absolutely necessary, but I disagree that any form of affirmation from the words of footballers and managers is out of the question for football fans.

More broadly I've always thought football fandom in itself is a pretty fecking irrational endeavour. I get the point that if you're devastated by Lingard's social media antics or by Greenwood's extracurriculars etc. you probably need to take a step back for your own sanity but taking an admittedly savage pleasure from a current squad member saying what everyone connected with the club has surely been thinking? That's ok by me to be honest.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
This is interesting from Shaw, it has got me thinking more of the players should do the same. They would have the fans support.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
There’s nothing wrong with what he’s saying. Sunday league teams have these things happen all the time and it doesn’t affect the dressing room. Senior players telling others to piss off politely or otherwise. Professional sportsmen should be fine with some hard truths. I think Luke Shaw is including himself in the conversation — I’m sure he’s heard about Ole looking for a left back.