g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

LVG appreciation: the emoji movie fan club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home&Away

But in those games he built the foundations for everything good that might happen for the next 30 years.
No he switched because he didn't have the right players - he ended the second season with wingbacks like valencia, young CBJ, wider CB's like rojo

Forwards like martial & Rashford
Am's that can make runs forward like lingard
Ball playing CB's like Blind etc.

He ended up with the 352 squad at the end of his second season. No way would he have played lingard at RW, rashford up front and martial at LW the following season

Womp

idiot
Only thing LVG did for Jose was Rashford. Everything else he would have done better himself.

Home&Away

I absolutely love the laughter - not like the world is majority geniuses :lol::keano::lol::lol:

MrPooni

No he switched because he didn't have the right players - he ended the second season with wingbacks like valencia, young CBJ, wider CB's like rojo

Forwards like martial & Rashford
Am's that can make runs forward like lingard
Ball playing CB's like Blind etc.

He ended up with the 352 squad at the end of his second season. No way would he have played lingard at RW, rashford up front and martial at LW the following season
:lol:

Mr Smith

Now that that's out of the way, lets be real. There is no correlation between current use of the 3-5-2 and LVG's use of it. The systems are very different, and used for different purposes. Conte has made 3 at the back mainstream, not Van Gaal. The most I'll grant you is that he taught Young to play the wingback role.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
@Home&Away Not sure whether I can give LVG the credit but players do learn a thing or two from every manager they work under.
The reality Utd fans choose to ignore because our results under him...is both managers like the same type of players. Only difference is Jose prefers them at their prime and ready, whilst egotist Louis prefers them young so as to claim credit for their development and his personality gels better with kids.

Home&Away

I love it - we all told you that LVG would come in and then the next manager would use this formation :lol: but no José was going to use 4321 wasn't he like he did everywhere. Absolutely love it. Feels so bad man having to be wrong :drool:

spwd

Only thing LVG did for Jose was Rashford. Everything else he would have done better himself.
And that was only because he sold every other striker apart from Rooney, as Rado said the only reply required to this thread is :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Home&Away

Now that that's out of the way, lets be real. There is no correlation between current use of the 3-5-2 and LVG's use of it. The systems are very different, and used for different purposes. Conte has made 3 at the back mainstream, not Van Gaal. The most I'll grant you is that he taught Young to play the wingback role.
Oh yeah one of you thinks united play 352 because conte played 343:houllier::lol:

Just happens so that our squad suits 352 - must be conte setting that up you know. LVG was the first to try it; let's not rewrite history at least

Robindinho

:lol: Feck off, the 3-5-2 we played was horrible under lvg, static,disjointed and hardly created anything - I remember the fans at one game chanting for 4-4-2

But yeah, it was that good that he changed to a 4-3-3 after a few games and guess what? The football was still shite.

Home&Away

How long did the 3-5-2 last? Pre season. And maybe one or two games in 14/15.
With players like Falcao, rooney & RVp.

We ended second season with 433 with finding players like rashford & Martial who are clearly forwards able to play in 2 upfront unlike the likes of Falcao & RVp. We had lingard playing RW when he was an Am making runs past the forwards. We ended the season with ball playing CB; remember Blind that season? A CB that can join the midfield.

We ended with wingbacks and not fullbacks like young and valencia because of him not bloody conte :lol: then there are the CB's like rojo which suit the 3 at the back system

Home&Away

:lol: Feck off, the 3-5-2 we played was horrible under lvg, static,disjointed and hardly created anything - I remember the fans at one game chanting for 4-4-2

But yeah, it was that good that he changed to a 4-3-3 after a few games and guess what? The football was still shite.
That's because he is a shite manager but his ideas are good - Barcelona and Bayern never changed the damn formation afterwards.

Home&Away

And that was only because he sold every other striker apart from Rooney, as Rado said the only reply required to this thread is :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
How deluded; giggs spent ages scouting rashford under LVG. Absolutely dumbfounded

Hawks2008

I liked LVG the man more than I liked LVG the manager. He was absolutely bat shit :lol:

acnumber9

Oh yeah one of you thinks united play 352 because conte played 343:houllier::lol:

Just happens so that our squad suits 352 - must be conte setting that up you know. LVG was the first to try it; let's not rewrite history at least
Roy Evans had Liverpool playing 3-5-2 in the fecking 90's. The **** of Van Gaal is bizarre.

Home&Away

Come at me guys? Where you at - had minimal actual sentences just the empji movie which is kind your level

RedPed

Whatabouter.
David Moyes appreciation thread next ??? :lol:
Of course!

We would not have won the Europa League if it wasn't for Moyes' brilliance in predicting just how important Fellaini would be for us! Therein lies the Moyes Legacy. (please avoid laughter).

Home&Away

Of course!

We would not have won the Europa League if it wasn't for Moyes' brilliance in predicting just how important Fellaini would be for us! Therein lies the Moyes Legacy. (please avoid laughter).
He did buy fellaini but that's it? What else?

Home&Away

We told you LVG will find the youngsters
We told you he would find us the formation

Sweet

Home&Away

This isn't even the most stupid thing I've heard being attributed to LVG on this forum.

One poster was adamant that Van Gaal was responsible for both Spain and Germany's world cup wins because of his stints at Barcelona and Bayern respectively.
Oh yeah BTW that's because Spain and Germany's dominance happened due to Barcelona & Bayern that LVG managed to integrate some of the key players like xavi, iniesta, schweinsteiger, muller etc.

I'll come back to you when England win the WC - that's how sure I am bud & rashford will be important to that. Too much a gamble right?

Mr Smith

You're the one rewriting history. 3-5-2 with Van Gaal didn't work, that's why he changed back so quickly. The defenders struggled to work with each other and our wingbacks weren't fit enough to play the system. Plus Van Persie and Falcao kept getting in each other's zones, because they were too similar. The current 3-5-2 is very different. But if you're looking for the link between our current (very sporadic I might add) use of 3-5-2 and Conte's arrival, allow me to illuminate you.

1. Conte arrives, and after trying a couple of systems that didn't work, changed to 3-4-3, thereby finding a system that other teams struggled to cope with. It meant Hazard didn't have defensive responsibilities, and no one could outrun them in midfield because Kante did the work of two players.
2. Other managers, seeing the gross success Conte was having with the 3-4-3, studied his formation and looked for ways to respond to it. Spurs and Arsenal were two notable teams who changed their system specifically to face Chelsea, and then carried on afterwards. Meanwhile, United changed the system just to play against Chelsea (last season at least). That 3-5-2 was very different; the CB's understood when to go and when to stay, our attackers were young, quick players able to stretch a back 3 more than injury-prone players approaching 30 ever would, and Pogba had cover because we used 3 central midfielders, rather than two and a #10. This is distinctly different from LVG's brief use of a similar formation (but clearly a different system).
3. We have since occasionally used 3-5-2 to respond to other teams playing 3 at the back (as playing a lone striker against a back 3 leaves you very isolated). This has nothing to do with LVG's use of the system, but rather other team's use of 3 at the back to counter Chelsea (as I've already outlined).

You're being stubborn and disingenuous to continue to suggest that current use of the 3-5-2 by us or anyone else is down to Van Gaal. This is obvious to everyone else, and to continue to argue otherwise is to do so for the sake of it. Spare the rest of your dignity before the caf is forced to take it from you.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
He did buy fellaini but that's it? What else?
Well OBVIOUSLY it was a master stroke as he lay the foundations for Fellaini to play a blinder in the Europa League so Moyes deserves some credit does he not (by your logic).

Home&Away

Iniesta, xavi, muller, robben, schweinsteiger, alaba etc all talk about LVG foundations baby!

Whilst you laughter has nothing but each other.

I'm with the footballers. Whilst your like Rivaldo who got sent out the club.

We told you before he even arrived; we told you when he was gone.

MrPooni

Oh yeah BTW that's because Spain and Germany's dominance happened due to Barcelona & Bayern that LVG managed to integrate some of the key players like xavi, iniesta, schweinsteiger, muller etc.

I'll come back to you when England win the WC - that's how sure I am bud & rashford will be important to that. Too much a gamble right?
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

We're officially through the looking glass now lads.

Andersons Dietician

The “philosophy” wasn’t a shape. It was a manner of playing which could translate in to any system. I would also say LVG sort of went with the 352 because he was trying to fit Falcao,RVP,Rooney and Dimaria on on to the pitch. I would think his end goal which was started in 2nd season when he really started was 433.

Home&Away

You're the one rewriting history. 3-5-2 with Van Gaal didn't work, that's why he changed back so quickly. The defenders struggled to work with each other and our wingbacks weren't fit enough to play the system. Plus Van Persie and Falcao kept getting in each other's zones, because they were too similar. The current 3-5-2 is very different. But if you're looking for the link between our current (very sporadic I might add) use of 3-5-2 and Conte's arrival, allow me to illuminate you.

1. Conte arrives, and after trying a couple of systems that didn't work, changed to 3-4-3, thereby finding a system that other teams struggled to cope with. It meant Hazard didn't have defensive responsibilities, and no one could outrun them in midfield because Kante did the work of two players.
2. Other managers, seeing the gross success Conte was having with the 3-4-3, studied his formation and looked for ways to respond to it. Spurs and Arsenal were two notable teams who changed their system specifically to face Chelsea, and then carried on afterwards. Meanwhile, United changed the system just to play against Chelsea (last season at least). That 3-5-2 was very different; the CB's understood when to go and when to stay, our attackers were young, quick players able to stretch a back 3 more than injury-prone players approaching 30 ever would, and Pogba had cover because we used 3 central midfielders, rather than two and a #10. This is distinctly different from LVG's brief use of a similar formation (but clearly a different system).
3. We have since occasionally used 3-5-2 to respond to other teams playing 3 at the back (as playing a lone striker against a back 3 leaves you very isolated). This has nothing to do with LVG's use of the system, but rather other team's use of 3 at the back to counter Chelsea (as I've already outlined).

You're being stubborn and disingenuous to continue to suggest that current use of the 3-5-2 by us or anyone else is down to Van Gaal. This is obvious to everyone else, and to continue to argue otherwise is to do so for the sake of it. Spare the rest of your dignity before the caf is forced to take it from you.
352 didn't work because we had players that couldn't fit 352; by the end of second season we had the players to play 352. I explained this already.

Conte played 343 because this is the formation played in Italy. He bought it at won and gave confidence to alot of the teams that can play it; but LVG was already finding the players to play that formation at United way before he came. Okay buddy?

You see the game we played against Huddersfield? That was LVG's squad playing 352 without mctominay

Status
Not open for further replies.