LVG appreciation: the emoji movie fan club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home&Away

Time only underlines LVG was a total failure, he was a disaster in the transfer market, left behind a poor squad and a style of play that any successor had to dismantle.

As for 3-5-2 being engrained can only laugh, we weren’t equipped to play it then
Rojo and Blind didn't even play today and Blind never plays as a CB under Mourinho, so what is the relevance of these points? Martial was a very good buy, granted, but hardly part of some masterplan to make a 3-5-2 work. Rashford was a desperate move by Van Gaal simply because our attacking options were depleted, a complete fluke. Lingard is nothing more than a decent squad player. Turning our under performing wingers into wing backs deserves some praise, but it's hardly a tactical revolution. Valencia had played as RB under Fergie and Moyes several times, Van Gaal just moved him there permanently.

So to summarize, there were a couple of shiny nuggets among the sea of shit that was Van Gaal's tenure at United. Hardly worthy of significant praise or appreciation. His United career was still a complete failure with soul destroying football on a consistent basis.
Giggs was scouting the 2nd team for LVG - LVG and giggs watched rashford play as a winger and made him play upfront as a striker when the injuries came. Does not make it by chance; it just gave rashford the opportunity.

And to the previous post - front 3 in second season in 433

Lingard - Rashford - Martial

If he had another season only someone deluded would say that it wouldn't be

Lingard
Rashford - Martial

Likewise in defence it ended up with Smalling & Blind due to injuries
Would have ended up
Smalling - blind - rojo

It's really not much different to what we are seeing now; José is better manager, plays much better football and can get much better players - but he will only succeed here if he continues with the 352 because it suits our squad.

I have to go now. Peace.

Denis79

Whatever good happens now is all thanks to LVG. If it doesn't go our way we just blame Mourinho.

LVG's football was really bad and without intent, he had huge funds and bought really big names at the time and almost every transfer failed, people should give up this nonsense that somehow he sets any foundations for success. He failed here period. And all he left was a big mess for his replacement.

Roboc7

Giggs was scouting the 2nd team for LVG - LVG and giggs watched rashford play as a winger and made him play upfront as a striker when the injuries came. Does not make it by chance; it just gave rashford the opportunity.

And to the previous post - front 3 in second season in 433

Lingard - Rashford - Martial

If he had another season only someone deluded would say that it wouldn't be

Lingard
Rashford - Martial

Likewise in defence it ended up with Smalling & Blind due to injuries
Would have ended up
Smalling - blind - rojo

It's really not much different to what we are seeing now; José is better manager, plays much better football and can get much better players - but he will only succeed here if he continues with the 352 because it suits our squad.

I have to go now. Peace.
The defenders aren’t good at distributing the ball and we don’t have any good wingbacks. This squad isn’t suited to playing 3-5-2, in fact LVG was so scattergun and Out of his depth he left behind a squad not suited to anything. His so called foundations sadly didn’t exist, he tried but he was a has been and much better suited to international football.

Seveneric

:lol:

Sorry, it's not that people aren't capable of providing rebuttals or counter-arguments, it's just that :lol: is what this thread (and any other thread trying to rewrite Van Gaal's tenure in a more positive light) deserves

Mickfoley

Iniesta, xavi, muller, robben, schweinsteiger, alaba etc all talk about LVG foundations baby!

Whilst you laughter has nothing but each other.

I'm with the footballers. Whilst your like Rivaldo who got sent out the club.

We told you before he even arrived; we told you when he was gone.
The mods that gave him 10 likes should show up or else he's a virus.

Last edited:

Home&Away

The mods that gave him 10 likes should or else he's a virus.
Leave it - I did the post about switching to 352 when things went working at 4321 which 75% posters now seem to agree on.

I've said some useful stuff alongside things that people probably don't believe in

beedoubleyou

Insane thread. Under LVG we played a handful of times with three at the back and abandoned it. It was the exact opposite of ingraining a system. We've since gone on to play it even fewer times under Mourinho. How is LVG getting credit for that?

van Nistelrooy

I would refuse a handshake from LvG if the situation occurred.

Despise the man. He was a delusional old man who put the club through two years of misery.

MrPooni

I can't wait - I had to open this thread now because when it happens I can come and laugh so nicely at Mr poonie =) so through the looking glass buddy! We told you they would be youngsters & we told you there would be a formation that will stick at United for 5-10 years plus; I have yet to be wrong.

Come at me poopnie

One of the primary reasons I decided to frequent the Caf over other similar platforms was because of the newbie system and how it helped protect level headed fans from the kind of toxic idiocy that's seeping out of this cretins pores but it's becoming painfully obvious that, that system no longer applies. I imagine the pressures of reddit, social media and a quest for higher user retention rates probably changed things and that's understandable – but it doesn't make bollocks like this any less sad. I mean it's funny to a point, but this guy is clearly a moron and the longer he's allowed to carry on his schtick, the more annoying he's going to get.

Home&Away

One of the primary reasons I decided to frequent the Caf over other similar platforms was because of the newbie system and how it helped protect level headed fans from the kind of toxic idiocy that's seeping out of this cretins pores but it's becoming painfully obvious that, that system no longer applies. I imagine the pressures of reddit, social media and a quest for higher user retention rates probably changed things and that's understandable – but it doesn't make bollocks like this any less sad. I mean it's funny to a point, but this guy is clearly a moron and the longer he's allowed to carry on his schtick, the more annoying he's going to get.
Ouch - that time of the month?

Home&Away

:boring:

Are we still doing this, just move on.
Yeah tbh what surprised me the most was how quick and sharp the people who disagreed on this were; like they heard it for the first time or if i personally attacked them.

They should be more like you and dgaf!

Good on you mate!

Josep Dowling

He won a more prestigious trophy for us than Jose has so far. Bit strange he's treated with such scorn here given that so many of those same people constantly go on about how winning trophies is the most important thing when they defend Jose and say the quality of football is irrelevant. Funny how goalposts are moved isn't it.
Well I personally think Europa League is a bigger trophy than the FA cup these days. And considering it’s worth an automatic Champions League spot as well.

I would like United to play a bit more of an attacking style but we are much better than we ever were under Van Gaal and in terms of transfers Jose is trying to purchase a better calibre of player.

Under his tenure was the only part of my life where watching us became a chore.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He won a more prestigious trophy for us than Jose has so far. Bit strange he's treated with such scorn here given that so many of those same people constantly go on about how winning trophies is the most important thing when they defend Jose and say the quality of football is irrelevant. Funny how goalposts are moved isn't it.
Europa League with the CL Qualification is twice in importance of FA Cup these days.

Home&Away

@Home&Away

Is your username in reference to the places you searched for a clue and came up short?
Sorry buddy I didn't get that joke.

I'm just personally looking forward to when the good stuff happens - it was only when iniesta, xavi robben muller schweinsteiger etc reached their peak that they mentioned LVG's importance.

All I wanted to do is a be a bit selfish - open up a thread; come back in a couple of years & tell people I told you so.

People do have a personal hate towards LVG though - saying that rashford was picked randomly for example is wrong; LVG said he and giggs kept an eye on him - noticed his wingplay & tried him upfront when the injuries happened.

But yeah forget it. LVG is hated; I have just put my theories up if you look above about what is going to happen in the next 10 years or so.

I'll meet you all then.

Moonred

He is hated because he was utterly useless in that second season. His contribution is marginal. If players who played under him go into become great, his contribution to it will still remain minimal. He’s lucky he came after a bigger idiot.

Plato

Valencia and Young aren't anywhere near good enough going forward for us to play that system regularly IMO.

Home&Away

He is hated because he was utterly useless in that second season. His contribution is marginal. If players who played under him go into become great, his contribution to it will still remain minimal. He’s lucky he came after a bigger idiot.
I agree with you - his contribution would be minimal - but it's still a contribution & why alot of people knew he would do these minimal contributions to some of the best teams in the world. That's all it is.

We won't win the CL because of him: but he would have made a minimal contribution to it.

Moonred

I agree with you - his contribution would be minimal - but it's still a contribution & why alot of people knew he would do these minimal contributions to some of the best teams in the world. That's all it is.

We won't win the CL because of him: but he would have made a minimal contribution to it.
Yes but there’s no need to over emphasise on that fact. It’s small enough to never garner a discussion.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Hey H&A, you have mentioned multiple times, "we told you.." Just curious to know who are "we." You and?...LvG?

Home&Away

Hey H&A, you have mentioned multiple times, "we told you.." Just curious to know who are "we." You and?...LvG?
We talk on the messages inboxes - aswell as a lot of we'll known posters that used to talk about it have stopped because it got this type of approach of laughter & pretty much bullying over a theory that was talked about even before LVG arrived.

I don't wish to mention names; they would find it embarrassing to just be placed here & have everyone laughing at them. But I wouldn't make that stuff up just for my own sake.

Home&Away

Yes but there’s no need to over emphasise on that fact. It’s small enough to never garner a discussion.
Well that's part of the thing -
1) the players he gave debuts to or changed positions, and some he bought(but tends to be a bad at that) ; turned out to be the amongst the best in the world - the likes of iniesta, xavi - was thought of being sold aswell, muller, alaba, schweinsteiger, valdes, puypl and then buying robben. He did make some good decisions - some who have gone on to be amongst the best players ever or if not that then at least amongst the best players at their club history. I mean - we may laugh at it now but what if rashford starts really kicking on in the CL games and wins us a cup or martial or even bloody lingard scoring a last minute winner; we never know but they have the chance to become really important players of this generation.

The next thing is the formation - I talked about this enough and plenty disagree but LVG season 3 was 352 with the players he unearthed & how some progressed in season 2. That's why I believe I had been calling out for 352 since some of our main men like pogba and Bailey have been missing & the likes of martial & rashford never ever being permanent wingers. But people disagree alot about what I have said & I'm tired of being laughed at for thinking LVG was a step in the right direction no matter how small that step was..

There's people saying LVG was on the same level as David Moyes - & they are laughing at me? The fact is when the pro LVG fans talked about him and him building foundations - no one said we would win the title, that we would play beautiful football; but this is what people keep rating him on. The LVG fans said he would find us some youngsters and help the team come up with a solid foundation/formation for the future.

That is all & a very minimal step in the right direction. The 352 itself will be here for years now even if José reverts back to the 4321 - because I believe it is part of the squad.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
We talk on the messages inboxes - aswell as a lot of we'll known posters that used to talk about it have stopped because it got this type of approach of laughter & pretty much bullying over a theory that was talked about even before LVG arrived.

I don't wish to mention names; they would find it embarrassing to just be placed here & have everyone laughing at them. But I wouldn't make that stuff up just for my own sake.
Geniuses are never recognized in their own time, man. The unfortunate reality of life which affected LvG and now you too here :(

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
LVG does actually deserve some credit. He improved our defence vastly and plays a hand in our strong defence today. It's a far cry from the days of Moyes' when we'd get thumped 3-0 consistently and appeared to be in defensive free fall. He also improved our ability to circulate the ball and hold possession.

It's a shame everything else (in particular the attack) was so poor under him and that miserable second season pretty much ruined everything. He was clearly way past his prime.

Home&Away

LVG does actually deserve some credit. He improved our defence vastly and plays a hand in our strong defence today. It's a far cry from the days of Moyes' when we'd get thumped 3-0 consistently and appeared to be in defensive free fall. He also improved our ability to circulate the ball and hold possession.

It's a shame everything else (in particular the attack) was so poor under him and that miserable second season pretty much ruined everything. He was clearly way past his prime.
This is a nice reply & not just because you are saying good things about LVG but it's more of a discussion rather than pretending he did nothing. We as a club can retain possession whenever we want ever since he came & still to this day we can unless we need to play counterattack.

It's a bit hard to give credit now - but as I said we don't really know just how good or important the likes of rashford, martial, lingard TFM, even CBJ (personally think he can surprise people if we stick with 352) and even some of the players he tried to introduce to the first team like poole & Tuenzebe although he didn't get that far; we don't know how important these players might become - we don't know how well the 352 formation (which is not 1% changed to a 343 for example) might become.

He was a manager that gave us a direction after SAF & he always managed to sort out some defensive and possession based team play for us today albeit with much higher tempo.

POF

This is a nice reply & not just because you are saying good things about LVG but it's more of a discussion rather than pretending he did nothing. We as a club can retain possession whenever we want ever since he came & still to this day we can unless we need to play counterattack.

It's a bit hard to give credit now - but as I said we don't really know just how good or important the likes of rashford, martial, lingard TFM, even CBJ (personally think he can surprise people if we stick with 352) and even some of the players he tried to introduce to the first team like poole & Tuenzebe although he didn't get that far; we don't know how important these players might become - we don't know how well the 352 formation (which is not 1% changed to a 343 for example) might become.

He was a manager that gave us a direction after SAF & he always managed to sort out some defensive and possession based team play for us today albeit with much higher tempo.
The defensive record was better under LVG and United kept the ball far better than under Moyes, so he deserves credit for that of course.

But anyone watching the way the current United team plays in terms of style and defensive organisation and genuinely (for what it's worth, I don't think you genuinely believe what you say) thinks that LVG's era had any sort of significant impact on this side has very little understanding of football.

Following Van Gaal with Mourinho was akin to ripping it up and starting again. They are polar opposites in terms of style and Jose has even said he would have preferred to start with a clean slate than a squad that had been LVG'd for 2 years. He has been true to that and sold or phased out almost every LVG signing.

Could another coach have come in and built on LVG's foundations? Maybe someone with a more similar style. Bringing Mourinho in at least showed the club cut their losses and realised how badly they had managed it all.

On youth, again I thought Fosu Mensah was developing well under Van Gaal but did little under Jose. If he ends up being Lilian Thuram mark 2 who deserves credit for that? Maybe Roy Hodgson? Who knows. Either way, LVG was moulding him (and Blind) as defenders for his style. Jose quickly jettisoned them both for more classical centre backs in a more conventional defensive structure.

Home&Away

The defensive record was better under LVG and United kept the ball far better than under Moyes, so he deserves credit for that of course.

But anyone watching the way the current United team plays in terms of style and defensive organisation and genuinely (for what it's worth, I don't think you genuinely believe what you say) thinks that LVG's era had any sort of significant impact on this side has very little understanding of football.

Following Van Gaal with Mourinho was akin to ripping it up and starting again. They are polar opposites in terms of style and Jose has even said he would have preferred to start with a clean slate than a squad that had been LVG'd for 2 years. He has been true to that and sold or phased out almost every LVG signing.

Could another coach have come in and built on LVG's foundations? Maybe someone with a more similar style. Bringing Mourinho in at least showed the club cut their losses and realised how badly they had managed it all.

On youth, again I thought Fosu Mensah was developing well under Van Gaal but did little under Jose. If he ends up being Lilian Thuram mark 2 who deserves credit for that? Maybe Roy Hodgson? Who knows. Either way, LVG was moulding him (and Blind) as defenders for his style. Jose quickly jettisoned them both for more classical centre backs in a more conventional defensive structure.
The style and substance of LVG was a detriment to the club - LVG is very strict in how he wants to play football & as we saw the players were in prison during that time. However that suits young players more than older players aswell as suiting players that changed position - who needs that managerial instruction on how to play. He did bring in some youth, changed some wingers in to wingbacks and the last thing is that a third season LVG would not be any better - it would be worse but we would be playing 352.

I'm not trying to mask the shite he made us play - but there are certain things he has done good for us.

For example I have wanted José to play the 352 from the beginning simply because as much as he had to rip alot of LVG's stuff away; starting things in his own way meant that we ended up playing players like rashford & Martial as wingers & so on. This continues all the way to the freedom pogba has if he would have 3 defenders behind him and the defence itself we have players who can operate on channels ( remember LVG wanting left footed players for LCB and right for RCB) - it all kinda meshes in & José hasn't had to start new or scrap much things apart from the mentality, spme of the restricted tactics and also adding in players to our spine which we had nothing of. It doesn't look like he has started all that much from the beginning but more like changed some vital things for our club (that is well beyond LVG's capabilities).

Status
Not open for further replies.