LVG Out Thread | BBC: Sacked!

Do you want LVG sacked?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainoldo

Nonsense,nobody is brainwashed by the media.Examples in the past are there,most recent ones are at the start of this season,so we can comment on it way before join us,no need to wait and see what he will do here. If he changes his way,it would probably enforced by people above him.
What examples? He plays young players.

Stacks

Winning the fa cup and finishing above Chelsea, Liverpool and possibly one of city or Arsenal whilst bringing through young players wouldn't be all that bad, obviously nowhere near good enough for a club with our ambitions but acceptable still. Were in transition and have a promising young team so hopefully its the beginning of something, add a trophy to that and LVG's time here can be remembered in a positive light. We are all very happy with the young players coming through, we cant have it all our way and expect to be challenging for the title with young players, not in this super competitive era. I think its the emergence of the young players that has been the one big positive of the season. I really hope we can finish in the top 4 and win the fa cup, we would be happy and LVG can leave with his head held semi high.
Those 2 clubs are at mid table so I don't know why you see that as worth a mention. We came above Chelsea who were in a relegation fight and sacked their coach. We finished above Liverpool who also changed manager and has barely been above 8th all season. Hurrah! And people act like we have played young players all season. The narrative has changed again. The young players filled in here and there when we had players out. We have hardly gone the bulk of the premiership season playing young players. How many league games has each "young player" even started?

midnightmare

Nonsense,nobody is brainwashed by the media.Examples in the past are there,most recent ones are at the start of this season,so we can comment on it way before join us,no need to wait and see what he will do here. If he changes his way,it would probably enforced by people above him.
Except, most that cite this don't (simultaneously) cite which players he's overlooked that subsequently wowed the world and showed up Jose's "folly" in overlooking youth. Frankly, I don't see Loftus-Cheek (the player most use as the stick to beat Jose with) as having taken the world by storm. Similarly, I don't think anyone rated Varane as a world-beater when Jose started bringing him in. People mention Lukaku, but both he and Jose have clarified what happened. He wanted to be a regular starter and both he and Jose felt he wasn't at that level yet for Chelsea, so he departed - although Jose wanted to retain him. Similar situation with KDB. Also, given that Chelsea won titles without them and looked great while doing it, can't really blame him, can you?

As an analogy, people often say SAF was excellent with "kids", but how many youth team players came in after the Class of '92? Most youngsters were bought - Rooney, Ronaldo, the da Silvas - and others were lost / sold - Pogba being the first to spring to mind - because SAF felt that they were either not ready or didn't have the required mentality.

All in all, Jose has done fairly ok with the likes of Robben, di Maria, Ozil, Varane, Hazard, Oscar and co. when offered youngsters (all were 22 or younger when Jose bought them / brought them in). I am not defending him as a messiah for bringing in youth players. I'm just saying that he's had to do what he does best (win trophies) with potentially limited resources. You could use this "youth" stick to beat most top managers as most of the top teams have:
1. Very little margin for error while chasing titles - thereby little leeway to accommodate the inevitable occasional brain-fades from youngsters
2. Youth academies that aren't quite at the La Masia level...meaning there are few "ready" youngsters for making the step up.

For the record, which academy player has Ancelotti trusted and brought through? Or Blanc? Or any of the assorted managers cited as alternatives to Mourinho? NB: The question is specific to academy graduates as that's the stick being used to beat Mou. Most of them too buy the most talented youngsters - and once they do, they play them.

dogwithabone

If we win the FA Cup and finish 4th and Spurs don't win the title would you say we've had a better season than Spurs ? Bizarrely I guess the answer will be that we will have had.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The way people talk here, you do think they've been to the future and can confirm the next manager will be successful. What if the next one is also a failure? We continue to fire managers until we get lucky?
We should actually try hiring someone from the top tier and see where we go from there. That's what we're meant to be isn't it? A top tier club? LVG is a level below Mourinho/Pep et al and guess where we are? A level below the top - which reflects in our team sheet and our league standing.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The way people talk here, you do think they've been to the future and can confirm the next manager will be successful. What if the next one is also a failure? We continue to fire managers until we get lucky?
Better than sitting on our arses when the building is on fire hoping it puts itself out.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
As opposed to what? Keeping a failing manager because sacking people is mean?

R'hllor

What examples? He plays young players.
Sure he does,he trusts youth players so much,he also never parked a titanic,its all made up,its all lies. Examples? Most recent,if he had any trust in youth,hell if he had any trust in reserves,he would still be a Chelsea manager but what you can do when there is no one better then Ivanovic and Matic on 20% of their prev season (for example).

RedRover

If you persistently employ people who can't do the job you've employed them for then you tend to sack them and get somebody else. It's kind of how it works in any job in any field.

bleedred

It's also shortsighted to still blame a manager for having one bad month in a whole competition. December is the only month that we have been really bad resultswise, the other months have been OK. Look at where we would have been now if that month would have been the same as the other months. We would have had 6-9 points more and would have been at least 3rd. With a team full of 18 year olds, that's not bad. Yes, at times the matches have been boring, but also Barcelona was not created in one day: these players have been playing in the exact same system from age 12 and had years and years of practice. The same thing you see with Rashford and Fosu-Mensah, they have played in LvG's system in the youth under Warren Joyce for almost 2 years and now slot very well. Schneiderlin, Darmian and all other summer buys just had 8 months.
In the end, we should always aim to return to title contenders, but we have had to do a massive rebuild. Now the dust clouds are fading, we can see a new team, built around Martial, Rashford etc. starting to form. Exciting times!
When has being OK become acceptable?.

Really?. How many 18 years olds started playing till the past two months??

How long have Leicester and spurs players been playing under their respective setups? or for that matter, Arsenal players have been in the same setup for years and years and yet we see no end product from them?

bleedred

People also forget the run in we had for the cup... We had Sheffield, Shrewsbury and Derby in the first three rounds!!!!

Tyrion

I am still in the sack him now camp but I wouldn't be surprised if people moved over to the evaluate him at the end of the season camp. A pretty definite way to disrupt a squad is to sack the manager and to the person saying the teams we have beaten are palace villa and everton, palace is also the team we face in the final, so I think its pretty fine if LVG has a way to beat them again.
This squad needs disruption imo. Also, winning the FA cup isn't a major achievement. Arsenal won it twice and they've blown the league same as allways.

We've scored 1 goal or less in 23 league games this season. We scored zero in 10 of those 23, 10! I agree, he is worse than Moyes, by a long shot. Moyes did not have a chance to build his squad. Moyes inherited a champion team that half of them felt they were bigger than what he was capable of doing with them. Rightly so I'm sure, but given the fact that LVG has been here longer, spent more, and put players in his desired position for that player, he is a failure.
Those statistics are damning. I don't agree with people who say "this is the worst United side in X years", Moyes' team was probably worse but LVG has had more time and money without much improvement.

How exactly has he done more damage than Moyes? Even if we finish 5th, we still have Europa League, it beneath us but it's still something. Did people forget that Moyes finished 7th?

He has not done better than Moyes though.
When Moyes got sacked, most people put it down to him not being good enough. At least Moyes could be put down as a one off, LVG has lowered expectations and might still be here for another year. It's almost as if he's made it acceptable.

LouisDanGaal

How is the potential high? I can't see Lingard, Darmian or Jones ever being good enough for a top European side and Memphis and Martial are no better than when they first came here. The team's level has been dragged down enough that kids can come in, without any coaching from him and outshine the players we have.

He's given out a few games to young players but anyone can do that. I don't see any improvement in them to justify the appalling performances we've put in.
This squad needs disruption imo. Also, winning the FA cup isn't a major achievement. Arsenal won it twice and they've blown the league same as allways.

Those statistics are damning. I don't agree with people who say "this is the worst United side in X years", Moyes' team was probably worse but LVG has had more time and money without much improvement.

When Moyes got sacked, most people put it down to him not being good enough. At least Moyes could be put down as a one off, LVG has lowered expectations and might still be here for another year. It's almost as if he's made it acceptable.
I know on paper winning the FA cup isn't a huge deal but I went absolutely crazy after that Martial go in the semis and I think everyone did, I think winning the FA cup would be a really good moment. Its also important for the development of a lot of these players, they need to get used to winning, its like when we were winning I think the league cup final, convincingly, so subbed on Vidic and Evra so they knew what being a Manchester United player meant. Most of these players have never won any trophies with us and they need to realise its a minimum expectation, it could give them a lot of confidence.

clarkydaz

LVG has lowered expectations and might still be here for another year. It's almost as if he's made it acceptable.
recently he has said

'Fans are living in the past'

'Expectations are too high'

'Havnt had the quality of players to work with'

Tyrion

recently he has said

'Fans are living in the past'

'Expectations are too high'

'Havnt had the quality of players to work with'
The last one is debatable but the living in the past comment is risible coming from a man who peaked when I was 2. :mad:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
If we win the FA Cup and finish 4th and Spurs don't win the title would you say we've had a better season than Spurs ? Bizarrely I guess the answer will be that we will have had.
It's relative to the club, Spurs are normally outsiders for CL qualifcation who always fall just short additionally they never challenge for the title. They've played some brilliant football too. Compared to us, we may win the FA Cup and finish fourth, but it hasn't been enjoyable and we haven't lived up to expectations.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I have changed my vote. Not because we qualified for a final, but that he finally has the team playing in a way which brings excitement to my veins. If he keeps this style of play till the end of the season, I can be persuaded.
We played well against WHU and in our last game.
That's 2 games out of roughly 50 games, this season?
Are you seriously forgetting all the other games we have played the most boring football seen at OT, for decades?

littlepeasoup

We played well against WHU and in our last game.
That's 2 games out of roughly 50 games, this season?
Are you seriously forgetting all the other games we have played the most boring football seen at OT, for decades?
To be fair, we've played well in more than 2 games this season. That those decent performances have been the exception to the rule, and not the rule itself has been really disappointing.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
It's the conviction (or strong belief anyway) that he isn't the right man to take us any further - which is largely based on what we've served up on the pitch during his two seasons in charge.
This is exactly why I turned against LVG (before December I was a huge LVG supporter because I believe we needed possession football, to eventually beat Barcelona, but as it stands we cant even beat teams like Norwich, Stoke, Bournemouth, etc).
My belief is that LVG cannot do better than 4th/5th place - that's his limit. He has repeatedly iterated (last season and this season) that 4th place is his target.
We should be targeting 1st place, not 4th.
And that's why I want him gone.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

For the record, which academy player has Ancelotti trusted and brought through? Or Blanc? Or any of the assorted managers cited as alternatives to Mourinho? NB: The question is specific to academy graduates as that's the stick being used to beat Mou. Most of them too buy the most talented youngsters - and once they do, they play them.
The answer is simply not enough to prove a point. Ancelotti in particular has only accepted offers from clubs where the cash was always flowing. Of course that's not something to hold against him, his man management skills are outstanding and he's achieved to label himself, throughout the years, as the safest choice for a squad full of superstars and egocentric owners/presidents.

But if you persist on pointing out the obvious, they'll come right back at you with the "short term success-burned out players-doesn't build for the future" narrative. Then you'll try to explain that the Cech-Terry-Lampard-Essien-Drogba axis, that Mourinho established, helped Chelsea retain their place among the elite clubs in England and in Europe. You'll also point out that a year after he left Madrid, Real went on to win the European Cup under Ancelotti without their players looking exhausted, physically or mentally. After that, they'll say he often falls out with players and members of his staff. Well, so has Ferguson, Guardiola and many others. The thing is that when Fergie threw the shoe at Beckham, you knew that Beckham's future at the club wasn't secured anymore and when Pep lost his temper with the chief of his medical staff on camera, you knew that Bayern's board would try to downplay the whole incident. Because both Fergie and Guardiola were always seen as the highest authority in their respective clubs, something that Mourinho came close to only at Inter.

I might be wrong but i believe the main problem with Mourinho is that he is seen as synonymous with the beginning of the era of sugar daddy clubs in English football in the eyes of many United fans. Up until the mid 00's the big rivalry was with Arsenal and Wenger with both clubs being financially healthy and able to dominate the PL because of their success on the football pitch. Then Roman came and tried to prove that money alone can bring success very quickly. And money did buy him the best manager in the world at that time. As a bonus, that manager came with an attitude which, while it wasn't uncommon in this particular line of work, seemed to be adding more egotism to the owner's "arrogance" back then.

It was then when we started to distinguish ourselves both as a club and as fans from Chelsea (and City afterwards) as a team that had earned its commercial success and therefore the ability to spend big money on players. We don't like to buy our success but we never complained about being the club that has broken the transfer record on the island more times than any other either. It was also then when we started hearing the "no value in the market" argument and when the "love" for academy players and its importance was blown out of proportions. I'm using these words not because the introduction of local lads into the first team wasn't always a part of our club's DNA but simply because, for many people, it's starting to become an obsession. Like it's the only thing that will help us persevere our identity and we must do it even when the academy products aren't ready yet to carry the team on their shoulders. You mentioned in your post that since the class of '92 there haven't been any major additions in the first team but no one made a story out of it when Ferguson was still in charge.

So, i believe that Mourinho is still an "enemy" for many United fans. And although we bounced back with one of Fergie's best United sides, i guess there are still some grudges held. It's understandable to a point but it can not be used as an excuse not to appoint Mourinho when the only alternative you have is Moyes or not be content with him when the obvious alternative is another season of LvG and then Giggs.

Last edited:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
For me, it's absolutely damning that Everton - who are utterly without the swagger of Martinez's early days - dominated the second half our our latest match. That wasn't Everton being excellent - it was us displaying one of our fundamental weaknesses under van Gaal yet again.

SteveJ

Scout
He's a glorified interim manager. And still, proper interims like Gus and Rafa managed to outperform him.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
For me, it's absolutely damning that Everton - who are utterly without the swagger of Martinez's early days - dominated the second half our our latest match. That wasn't Everton being excellent - it was us displaying one of our fundamental weaknesses under van Gaal yet again.
Their cup form is seperate from league form though. You can never really gauge Cup semi finals and finals. Wembley + adrenaline etc got Everton pumped. That was their game of the season, nothing else to play for if they lost.

prath92

Cup competitions are completely different. Wigan won the FA cup beating City, the season they got relegated. Its the old magic of the FA cup I suppose.

LawCharltonBest

Enjoys watching fox porn
LvG makes my brain hurt

Defend yourself, fine. But don't blame things that are your own fault.

That's like pleading innocent to a murder charge because you think the bullet is to blame.

SteveJ

Scout
VP89 said:
Their cup form is seperate from league form though.
ravelston said:
When Hiddink took over Chelsea we were 11 points ahead of them. We're now 12 points ahead of them.
prath92 said:
Cup competitions are completely different. Wigan won the FA cup beating City, the season they got relegated.
Well that's my opinions f*cked. I'll see myself out...
*shuts door quietly*

midnightmare

So, i believe that Mourinho is still an "enemy" for many United fans. And although we bounced back with one of Fergie's best United sides, i guess there are still some grudges held. It's understandable to a point but it can not be used as an excuse not to appoint Mourinho when the only alternative you have is Moyes or not be content with him when the obvious alternative is another season of LvG and then Giggs.
Great post. Not a single point I disagree with... It astounds me that most can't see this...

bucky

Well that's my opinions f*cked. I'll see myself out...
*shuts door quietly*
For what it's worth, I thought the same. I didn't think we played well and our players didn't look as motivated as they should be given it was a semifinal in a competition we haven't won for some time. Our first half wasn't as good as most thought it was IMO. Obviously people are right in saying cup games are different, but Everton's lack of form and confidence were evident during the first half and they became better during the second half, once they realised that we aren't that much better.

dogwithabone

It's relative to the club, Spurs are normally outsiders for CL qualifcation who always fall just short additionally they never challenge for the title. They've played some brilliant football too. Compared to us, we may win the FA Cup and finish fourth, but it hasn't been enjoyable and we haven't lived up to expectations.

Yes but we will have achieved more. The record books don't say anything about brilliant football and I can't ever remember anything notable with any runner up in anything. No one remembers them but in 30 years time and beyond people will recall an FA Cup final.

Can you remember the football that any runner up to our title wins has played ?

Status
Not open for further replies.