g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

LVG Out Thread | BBC: Sacked!

Do you want LVG sacked?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I'm hoping City feck up and lose but in no way do I want him to keep his job.

That is absolute madness.
I'm in this 'til the bitter end. Come Sunday and the moment there's no chance of Champions League football, I'll be calling for him to be sacked, but until then I'm on his side.

ZupZup

The fans don't want him there. The majority of the players don't want him there. Top 4 doesn't change anything really.

Hopefully after the cup final he should be given a thank you, goodbye and the club can start to move forwards for next season.

Shark

@NotShark
While I want what's best for the club, something wouldn't sit right with me if LVG somehow still sneaked into fourth because Swansea have done us a massive favor. You just know he'd say something like ''I always knew this was possible''. Then he'll win the FA cup and his reign won't look too shabby and the board will probably keep the rusty, bashed up train running for another season.

He doesn't deserve any of it.

Oneunited26

While I want what's best for the club, something wouldn't sit right with me if LVG somehow still sneaked into fourth because Swansea have done us a massive favor. You just know he'd say something like ''I always knew this was possible''. Then he'll win the FA cup and his reign won't look too shabby and the board will probably keep the rusty, bashed up train running for another season.

He doesn't deserve any of it.
The entire situation is a giant iceberg, VG is the tip of the iceberg, underneath is far more sinister, and that is the board

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Considering the occasional defence of the playing style as some sort of necessity (although not often admittedly), LVG will surely have to be blamed, and be culpable, should we win on Sunday and City draw. Our goal difference has been pathetic this season, largely due to our goalscoring, and the fact that we're so far behind City in that regard is pretty shocking.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
I'm in this 'til the bitter end. Come Sunday and the moment there's no chance of Champions League football, I'll be calling for him to be sacked, but until then I'm on his side.
I don't get it tbh. Why ? What do you see in him/has he done to deserve support ?

DOTA

I don't get it tbh. Why ? What do you see in him/has he done to deserve support ?
He's brought some young players through and he's not the guy who left Chelsea near the bottom of the table. That's about it. I'm certainly not championing his time here.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Whatever happens on Sunday I want him sacked. The complication obviously that LVG most likely keeps his job if he gets top 4 and wins the final.

It's like the lesser of two evils.

Now if we lose the final and / or don't make top 4, and he keeps his job? I might fecking explode. And I don't mean ejaculate. Unless you mean ejaculating fire. Anyway you get the point.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Considering the occasional defence of the playing style as some sort of necessity (although not often admittedly), LVG will surely have to be blamed, and be culpable, should we win on Sunday and City draw. Our goal difference has been pathetic this season, largely due to our goalscoring, and the fact that we're so far behind City in that regard is pretty shocking.
We're also behind Southampton on GD. If we lose our last game there's a chance we could finish 7th.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
He's brought some young players through and he's not the guy who left Chelsea near the bottom of the table. That's about it. I'm certainly not championing his time here.
Youth Argument
This happened by necessity, because of an injury problem he did not foresee. At the time I remember our full backs (and their backups) were all injured. He had no choice but to use some youth players. Either that or play with 9 players.
Then there was our attack - Martial and Rooney both injured. Enter Rashford.
Memphis failed, so he shuffled our attack to accommodate Lingard.

None of his youth entrants were planned, which is why he does not use Periera or Januzaj (because our first teamers are all fit and he does not trust his youth players over the senior players).
Had he benched he likes of Rooney and used Rashford. Or benched Darmian/Valanecia and put on Mensah - this would mean that he wanted to give youth a chance...but that's not what happened.

When Fergie sold a brilliant Kanchelskis, and replaced him with a young Beckham - this was giving youth a chance.
When He got rid of Lee Sharpe (who was very good) and replaced him with 18 yr old Giggs - this was giving a youth chance.

marlowe78

Whatever happens on Sunday I want him sacked. The complication obviously that LVG most likely keeps his job if he gets top 4 and wins the final.

It's like the lesser of two evils.

Now if we lose the final and / or don't make top 4, and he keeps his job? I might fecking explode. And I don't mean ejaculate. Unless you mean ejaculating fire. Anyway you get the point.
It's a twisted situation, really. We don't want to lose the next 2 games but if we win, it could give excuse for the management to keep him on. Getting into top 4 on what IMO would be a minor miracle and winning the FA Cup after how poorly we've played is no grounds for giving him another year. The fans' emotions are being put in total conflict with each other and I'm livid at the club for it.

Name Changed

weso26
Youth Argument
This happened by necessity, because of an injury problem he did not foresee. At the time I remember our full backs (and their backups) were all injured. He had no choice but to use some youth players. Either that or play with 9 players.

None of his youth entrants were planned, which is why he does not use Periera or Januzaj (because our first teamers are all fit and he does not trust his youth players over the senior players).
Had he benched he likes of Rooney and used Rashford. Or benched Darmian/Valanecia and put on Mensah - this would mean that he wanted to give youth a chance...but that's not what happened.

When Fergie sold a brilliant Kanchelskis, and replaced him with a young Beckham - this was giving youth a chance.
When He got rid of Lee Sharpe (who was very good) and replaced him with 18 yr old Giggs - this was giving a youth chance.
Agree 100%. This crap about giving youth players a chance is just that, crap.

Name Changed

weso26
I've largely stayed off this as there's no point in doing nothing else but complain.

Anyway, I heard Van Gaal say we were unlucky against West Ham? Unlucky? 20 shots to 3 in their favour or something and we were unlucky. He deserves to be sacked for that alone. If he thinks that then he is not fit to manage anything, nevermind Manchester United.

RoadTrip

Youth Argument

Brilliantly put.

Rista

So one game of football is going to sway your opinion on whether he is the man for the job or he should be sacked? I will never understand this. It's clearly not working out, anyone with a pair of eyes can see it. He should be sacked no matter what happens.

RoadTrip

So one game of football is going to sway your opinion on whether he is the man for the job or he should be sacked? I will never understand this. It's clearly not working out, anyone with a pair of eyes can see it. He should be sacked no matter what happens.
It's baffling logic isn't it.

0161_UNITED

Well, I chose "evaluate at the end of the season" and still stick by that, although I think the evaluation at the end of the season should be a graceful exit for LVG and a new manager.

I totally agree with one of the previous posters that he shouldn't (and I also predict won't) be back for a "lame duck" final season. He'll either get extended, which I'm firmly against, or he's gone.

I think his accomplishments are dramatically undervalued: he brought some stability (compared to Moyes) and unlike some, I think quite a bit our transfer business was positive - flawed, yes, but still overall I can see some positives. Agree, though, with the sentiment that he's promoted youth was out of necessity rather than inspiration.

The last 2 seasons under LVG produced some, frankly, unbearable at football at times. But there were some good performances too, that many want to gloss over for an overall narrative of how much they want LVG out - which is understandable. I still feel the end of the Moyes era was far worse though. There were times I wondered, "if we persist with Moyes, how bad could things actually get?" With Van Gaal, after the Summer Tour I realized things were not going to get better, this team wasn't going on to become his Ajax masterpiece. It was more of the same from last season. Just good enough to be there or thereabouts Top 4, but difficult to watch, uninspiring, and not a team I'd fall in love with.

I really, really hope United can clinch 4th and win the FA Cup. I hope we can send LVG off into the sunset with his head held high, and focus on and appreciate the positives with class and dignity. Then I hope we get on with the serious business of finding a manager that can match our ambitions and expectations for next season.

DOTA

Yep. I'm on the fence and it seems a reasonable enough way of deciding which way to go.

Robbie Boy

It's madness.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
There are CEO's that make rash decisions, others that make poor decisions but the worst CEO of them all are those that dither and delay decisions and I am afraid that's what we appear to have.

mu4c_20le

Rooney was dropped deeper to accommodate Rashford. Januzaj has not done enough to justify starting matches, and although I do wish he was given more chances, I think Memphis is still ahead of him. He did give youth a chance even if it wasn't drastic like Sir Alex. And I think it is this philosophy that is saving him from an embarrassing termination.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
So one game of football is going to sway your opinion on whether he is the man for the job or he should be sacked? I will never understand this. It's clearly not working
out, anyone with a pair of eyes can see it. He should be sacked no matter what happens.
The signs of how this season would pan out where evident in pre-season. After lucking his way to a 4-3- formation that worked,Van Gaal largely abandoned that to try and force his philosophy that had largely failed in the EPL.

Back we went to the left footed cb nonsense,went back to a two midfielder system even though none of our midfielders excel in that. And then after a poor goal scoring season(just 63 goals scored the previous season ),we sell most of our attackers and try Rooney as our main source of goals. That was something Van Gaal had tried and quickly abandoned the last season.

Even in many of our early games,we looked largely toothless and it was evident that this team wouldn't last the distance.

Some of our fans have largely chosen to follow Van Gaal blindly,hoping somehow ,anyhow that things will click. I can't blame though,I did the same with Moyes until I realised I was backing him not because there was any tangible reason to do so,but because I simply felt it was the right thing to do .

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
To take a simple view of things, would LVG still be manager if this situation was at Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern? Would he feck only at United would he still have his fat arse on the managers seat. And that is why those clubs are so successful and entertaining and we are drab and nowhere near any of them. Despite the wealth of the club, a damn disgrace.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
It'll be hard enough to stop the board using the euphoria of a Cup win to continue LVG's reign, let alone City gifting him top four.
And it'll be hard enough to stop me banging my head against the wall whenever that melted toffee apple on a stick appears on my screen clutching his notebook whilst Mourinho sends North Korea to World Cup victory.

RedorDead21

The fans don't want him there. The majority of the players don't want him there. Top 4 doesn't change anything really.

Hopefully after the cup final he should be given a thank you, goodbye and the club can start to move forwards for next season.
I dont think there is enough to say he has lost the dressing room. If anything there is enough to suggest that is not the case.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
To take a simple view of things, would LVG still be manager if this situation was at Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern? Would he feck only at United would he still have his fat arse on the managers seat. And that is why those clubs are so successful and entertaining and we are drab and nowhere near any of them. Despite the wealth of the club, a damn disgrace.
Most clubs who have a tradition of competing for titles would sack their manager for getting them 4th place, then following it up with another attempt at 4th place.
This season we have gone backwards and LVG is completely out of ideas. That's why he needs to go: he can't do better than 4th place.

arthurka

There are CEO's that make rash decisions, others that make poor decisions but the worst CEO of them all are those that dither and delay decisions and I am afraid that's what we appear to have.
This every day.. Nothing worse than a ceo afraid to make decisions, good or bad..

clarkydaz

Add Rooney to that aswell

ZupZup

I dont think there is enough to say he has lost the dressing room. If anything there is enough to suggest that is not the case.
He's lost the dressing room. The players are playing in spite of him... not for him. He does not have a lot of support amongst the players.

Smores

The fact that going into the final game of the season we could still finish 7th is surely enough to want rid. How some people are on the fence and would forgive him if we fluke a 4th place finish is barmy.

smallred

The fact that going into the final game of the season we could still finish 7th is surely enough to want rid. How some people are on the fence and would forgive him if we fluke a 4th place finish is barmy.
it sums up the fickle nature of football fans and United are as bad as anybody. Woodward is the classic example, a big history of incompetence is covered up everytime he goes out and splashes £30m on an average player and he is treated like he is the best thing ever to happen to the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.