g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

LVG Out Thread | BBC: Sacked!

Do you want LVG sacked?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Witchking

How things have changed. When the LVG interview came out before the world cup, everyone was excited. The pre season went fantastic. We brought midfilders to the club. Brought one of the best young fullbacks. Things were beginning to look up. Have been in the LVG camp till about last month but no more.

United have become the most boring team to watch.

I hope he gets to leave on a high by winning the FA Cup. There's no chance City will lose to Swansea and we beat Bournemouth.

ghagua

Youth Argument
This happened by necessity, because of an injury problem he did not foresee. At the time I remember our full backs (and their backups) were all injured. He had no choice but to use some youth players. Either that or play with 9 players.
Then there was our attack - Martial and Rooney both injured. Enter Rashford.
Memphis failed, so he shuffled our attack to accommodate Lingard.

None of his youth entrants were planned, which is why he does not use Periera or Januzaj (because our first teamers are all fit and he does not trust his youth players over the senior players).
Had he benched he likes of Rooney and used Rashford. Or benched Darmian/Valanecia and put on Mensah - this would mean that he wanted to give youth a chance...but that's not what happened.

When Fergie sold a brilliant Kanchelskis, and replaced him with a young Beckham - this was giving youth a chance.
When He got rid of Lee Sharpe (who was very good) and replaced him with 18 yr old Giggs - this was giving a youth chance.
Brilliant, but he will credit for that until the end of time.

Adebesi

It's a mistake, though, to consider these kneejerk types to be the ultimate examples of fan discontent. To do so also plays into the hands of those footballing authorities (owners and the like) who are content to just rake in the money - at our expense - while the football goes to hell. Idiots and attention-seekers are easily spotted and so their criticism can easily be ignored and dismissed; genuine critics are the only ones of any account.
Im not sure about this. For one thing, football authorities can and do dismiss fan unrest when it suits them, they can put anything they dont like down to "idiots and attention seekers", that is hardly a well defined term, it is nice and vague and they can define it in any way that suits them. Is that the point youre making? Im a bit confused.

I dont see the line between "genuine critics" and "idiots and attention seekers" as clearly defined as you seem to. Could you go through the population of the caf and divide us all into one of those two groups? Dont we all move between the two groups at different times? And even if we dont, isnt it all highly subjective? One person's wisdom is another person's idiocy. Obviously we are all free to interpret things for ourselves but I dont see any absolute answers.

The point I was making was more that we are all legitimate fans with legitimate opinions. I might think yours are stupid (hypothetically of course, I cant remember ever thinking that about one of your opinions) and you might think the same about mine, but they are both legitimate. But when you have social media, I think opinions - all of our opinions - are liable to move to extremes. I think a lot of people who would, in isolation or in the company of their friends, take a more moderate position. But when you spend large periods of time reading endless damning stats, or people spouting vitriol, or offering various theories about what the manager has done wrong, I think it nudges opinions to extremes. Gradually, maybe, but noticeably. And it is self perpetuating. The anonymity also encourages us to vent the most extreme versions of our views, or to exaggerate - perhaps it makes our opinions more interesting, or perhaps it just makes us feel better to let off steam, and that is the reason we come here in the first place. Either way, as I said, I feel places like this, or Twitter, or Facebook, or any forum for fans to express their opinions online, encourage extremes of opinion. So it is not the stupidity of the members of the crowd that is to blame, but the medium, or the crowd itself.

Maybe owners take that into account and feel justified in ignoring the crowd, but I think this is a mistake in a sense. Just because the frenzy was created, in a sense, artificially, I dont think that makes it any less real. Once people within the crowd have formed these more extreme opinions, they are genuinely held. I am just saying that, 10 or 20 years ago, I think people would have been a little more relaxed in this or an equivalent situation.

Adebesi

MEN say he didn't mention LVG at all, is looking forward to a historic cup final, and will 're-tool' in the summer.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...otball-news/ed-woodward-man-utd-news-11327667

By re-tool i hope he doesn't mean retain The Tool who is destroying the club left right and centre
It would be a stretch to define "re-tool" as "retaining a tool". Either he envisages us being led by a different tool, or he's talking about a completely different tool.

spwd

How things have changed. When the LVG interview came out before the world cup, everyone was excited. The pre season went fantastic. We brought midfilders to the club. Brought one of the best young fullbacks. Things were beginning to look up. Have been in the LVG camp till about last month but no more.

United have become the most boring team to watch.

I hope he gets to leave on a high by winning the FA Cup. There's no chance City will lose to Swansea and we beat Bournemouth.
Holy shit, it's taken you this long, crackers :lol:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I dont see the line between "genuine critics" and "idiots and attention seekers" as clearly defined as you seem to. Could you go through the population of the caf and divide us all into one of those two groups?
Yes:

Idiots
Me

People who are attention-seekers because they happen to disagree with me
Everyone else

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Well, everybody has their biases, chief; one man's twit is another's messiah.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
They should sack him on the morning of the cup final so we can have something to cheer about. Let Giggsy lead the team out.

It just might be enough for us to give Palace a game.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
So when is the Bournemouth press conference? If the Sky Italia rumors are true, I'm hoping he announces his retirement in the conference.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
What if the players actually love LVG and him leaving before the cup final completely breaks their hearts?
That's a possibility. But then again everything else seems to have failed: They're short on pride, short on stones, short on good, old fashioned anger - so perhaps the one thing which will fire them up is being heart broken.

Von Mistelroum

Going to be some huge disappointment on here after the FA Cup.
Yep. Everyone's going to be waiting patiently for the impending sacking. Then less patiently. Then angrily realising that it might not happen. Then expressing their horror at the idea of the coming season under Van Gaal. Then resignation and depression sets in. Then the season starts and it's "Louis Van Gaal's red army" for another season :(

Red-Jeff

Im not sure about this. For one thing, football authorities can and do dismiss fan unrest when it suits them, they can put anything they dont like down to "idiots and attention seekers", that is hardly a well defined term, it is nice and vague and they can define it in any way that suits them. Is that the point youre making? Im a bit confused.

I dont see the line between "genuine critics" and "idiots and attention seekers" as clearly defined as you seem to. Could you go through the population of the caf and divide us all into one of those two groups? Dont we all move between the two groups at different times? And even if we dont, isnt it all highly subjective? One person's wisdom is another person's idiocy. Obviously we are all free to interpret things for ourselves but I dont see any absolute answers.

The point I was making was more that we are all legitimate fans with legitimate opinions. I might think yours are stupid (hypothetically of course, I cant remember ever thinking that about one of your opinions) and you might think the same about mine, but they are both legitimate. But when you have social media, I think opinions - all of our opinions - are liable to move to extremes. I think a lot of people who would, in isolation or in the company of their friends, take a more moderate position. But when you spend large periods of time reading endless damning stats, or people spouting vitriol, or offering various theories about what the manager has done wrong, I think it nudges opinions to extremes. Gradually, maybe, but noticeably. And it is self perpetuating. The anonymity also encourages us to vent the most extreme versions of our views, or to exaggerate - perhaps it makes our opinions more interesting, or perhaps it just makes us feel better to let off steam, and that is the reason we come here in the first place. Either way, as I said, I feel places like this, or Twitter, or Facebook, or any forum for fans to express their opinions online, encourage extremes of opinion. So it is not the stupidity of the members of the crowd that is to blame, but the medium, or the crowd itself.

Maybe owners take that into account and feel justified in ignoring the crowd, but I think this is a mistake in a sense. Just because the frenzy was created, in a sense, artificially, I dont think that makes it any less real. Once people within the crowd have formed these more extreme opinions, they are genuinely held. I am just saying that, 10 or 20 years ago, I think people would have been a little more relaxed in this or an equivalent situation.
Very good post. Add in the short termism generally associated with sports and you have a recipe for very extreme views developing rather quickly without much balance. It's not so easy to remain moderate and restrained when many around you are very focused on the negative aspects of a situation and denigrate any opinions that are contrary to their beliefs. We live in an age of narcissism and rhetoric, but maybe it's always been like that and as you say social media and the like have amplified it.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Just seen him on SSN, saying that he expected to finish 3rd but he has fallen far short as we can finish 4th max now. Also spouting some philosophy bullshit and talking about next season.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Just seen him on SSN, saying that he expected to finish 3rd but he has fallen far short as we can finish 4th max now. Also spouting some philosophy bullshit and talking about next season.
Watched it too

Didn't sound like a man who is going anywhere in fairness

Still think mourinho is a done deal

Drifter

American
Really. I imagine you'll be less than happy, as weren't you one of his harshest critics when he took over from Moyes? Changed your tune somewhat, haven't you.
Never changed my view on LVG and his Philosophy . But IMO he's not going anywhere soon.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
Youth Argument
This happened by necessity, because of an injury problem he did not foresee. At the time I remember our full backs (and their backups) were all injured. He had no choice but to use some youth players. Either that or play with 9 players.
Then there was our attack - Martial and Rooney both injured. Enter Rashford.
Memphis failed, so he shuffled our attack to accommodate Lingard.

None of his youth entrants were planned, which is why he does not use Periera or Januzaj (because our first teamers are all fit and he does not trust his youth players over the senior players).
Had he benched he likes of Rooney and used Rashford. Or benched Darmian/Valanecia and put on Mensah - this would mean that he wanted to give youth a chance...but that's not what happened.

When Fergie sold a brilliant Kanchelskis, and replaced him with a young Beckham - this was giving youth a chance.
When He got rid of Lee Sharpe (who was very good) and replaced him with 18 yr old Giggs - this was giving a youth chance.
You are 100% correct, the guy uses excuses a lot, and the only youth who got a chance where those who were needed.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
You are 100% correct, the guy uses excuses a lot, and the only youth who got a chance where those who were needed.
Exactly. Plus, nobody can tell me Cameron Borthwick-Jackson would be doing worse at left back than Rojo is right now. Still doesn't get a game though. The idea that this manager trusts the young players is a joke. Fosu-Mensah made one mistake, not seen since...

Van Gaal hides behind coincidences to claim credit for the good things that happened this season. The truth is he has monumentally messed up as Man Utd manager. The stats tell their own story. We will finish with fewer points than last season, most likely in a lower position, having scored fewer goals, and underachieved in practically every competition besides the FA Cup (a trophy we could've won last year if not for Van Gaal going uber defensive at half time in the Arsenal Cup tie).

Van Gaal must go.

Status
Not open for further replies.