LVG Out Thread | BBC: Sacked!

Do you want LVG sacked?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir A1ex

I wouldn't say I was pro LVG in recent weeks but I was saying recently that if we sacked him it could be a mistake. So an insight into my perspective is that I now think he needs to go immediately. We're not grinding out results and if anything we're in free fall so we either to for Mourinho or an interim if we can get Guardiola to commit, but not Giggs.
Yes, I'm in the same boat. I think that pretty much explains things for people who want to score points about "pro LVG disappearing etc". I was in no hurry for us to bin him, but it's just obviously untenable now.

Riz

The Caf is strange tonight, everyone is talking as if he's already left.

I've a feeling he's got at least 2 more games to get us back on track. Whether I think he deserves 2 more is another matter.
Yeh I voiced that concern earlier as well, many might be disappointed if he's still in charge on Boxing Day but I'd say it's more likely than not.

I now think he needs to go immediately though so anything I post regarding Guardiola/Mourinho is with that in mind.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I think LVG could still have a chance of making top 4.
The problem is that if we don't act now, we may end up losing out on Mourinho, Ancelotti and Guardiola.
Sure, LVG will probably get us a top 4 place, but is that good enough?

Van Gaal may already have been spoken to.
Yep. LVG is no fool. Set in his ways - certainly. But he knows what the board will be thinking/doing.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I wouldn't say I was pro LVG in recent weeks but I was saying recently that if we sacked him it could be a mistake. So an insight into my perspective is that I now think he needs to go immediately. We're not grinding out results and if anything we're in free fall so we either to for Mourinho or an interim if we can get Guardiola to commit, but not Giggs.
That's how I feel too.

Riz

van Gaal has not only lost his players but also Giggs. That much is obvious. I would be shocked if he is in charge of the Stoke match.

If he is there and we lose I would be furious with the board not van Gaal.
Wager?

Theonas

Scout
The real risk though (which wasn't really explained in my post) is not such much going three years without a trophy but dropping out of the Champions League places for the second time in three years. That is not something those three clubs have experienced (ignoring Juve's relegation for off the pitch matters) or would ever expect to experience. I honestly think we will miss out on top 4 this season if we stick with Van Gaal.
That is a valid concern definitely and at the moment it looks like a real possibility that we drop out of the top 4. Status wise, I don't think we will be affected if we miss out on the top 4 again but financially I am not sure, only Ed can answer that. As I said before, I view Mourinho as a desperate measure. When Madrid had enough of Barcelona winning everything, he was the man. When Inter had enough of never competing for the CL, he was the man and when Chelsea needed the step up from a rich club to a successful, he again was the man. I don't think we're desperate like that yet but I accept that you think we are. I look at City and they aspire for building a dominant force that plays front football. Bayern won a treble and they still thought they should be building towards dominance and playing like a big club so they went for Pep to give them that and Barcelona would rather go for unproven managers if they ensure the same principles than go for a Mourinho. I think we are still big enough to have the same aspirations and hope the club does not act like we're desperate just yet.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Sometimes you watch the players and they're too nice. We need a reintroduction of standards. I'd like A Jose/Keane team - Keane to scare the shit out of them. Much too nice and not enough pride in how they perform. The players earn so much money, and that's fine but there's no excuse to not work harder on being better players. I liked Giggs on the touchline trying to instruct them.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
There is no point in sacking him now. I'm never a fan of sacking managers in the middle of the season unless shit is really going down the drain.

Bojan11

If he lasts another week, if be surprised.

Our season can be rescued. We can gain something from this season. Don't give this guy more time.

I don't see us winning at Stoke under LVG because he is terrible in away games. Something he has not improved.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
The drains blocked full of shite. We've heard a lot and I think we've reached a point where people have lot faith in what they hear. That's the beginning of the end. The first thing was our negativity and the recent results have curtailed our efforts. I think if he had have got them playing well, people would be more forgiving but at this point in time - we're a massive floater.

Revan

Assumptionman
There is no point in sacking him now. I'm never a fan of sacking managers in the middle of the season unless shit is really going down the drain.
What does exactly gets qualified as 'shit is really going down the drain'? 14 points from last 12 matches (all comps). 6 games without winning in a row? 3 games losing in a row? 9 points below the mighty Leicester? Out of UCL despite being in the easiest group? 7 shoots on target in the last 4 matches? Having virtually the same point per match average as David Moyes in his fantastic spell here, despite that he spent 250m on new players? Having actually a lower goals per game than Moyes had? Being outside of UCL zone in a year when Chelsea have been in self destruction too, and Liverpool changed managers in midseason?

Pretty sure, I could go on, but if 'shit is really going down the drain' means anything less than 'getting relegated' then we can safely conclude that 'shit is really going down the drain'!

Wade3

What does exactly gets qualified as 'shit is really going down the drain'? 14 points from last 12 matches (all comps). 6 games without winning in a row? 3 games losing in a row? 9 points below the mighty Leicester? Out of UCL despite being in the easiest group? 7 shoots on target in the last 4 matches? Having virtually the same point per match average as David Moyes in his fantastic spell here, despite that he spent 250m on new players? Having actually a lower goals per game than Moyes had? Being outside of UCL zone in a year when Chelsea have been in self destruction too, and Liverpool changed managers in midseason?

Pretty sure, I could go on, but if 'shit is really going down the drain' means anything less than 'getting relegated' then we can safely conclude that 'shit is really going down the drain'!
My point is, we're still easily in contention for a top four finish. Not too long ago, we were sitting closely behind the first place and seemed to be on the right track. The worst decisions usually result from emotional overreactions, which a sacking of van Gaal right now would be. A manager taking over at the current point in time would require plenty of weeks to get acquainted with the team and implement his game plan.

We're not doing well and unless we seriously climb back up the ranks, van Gaal should be gone at the end of the season regardless. But as of right now, things, despite being bad, are still not bad enough in terms of the entire season to sack him.

The only reason to sack him now is if we viewed Mourinho as our manager of the next few years. I wouldn't be opposed to it, but IIRC Sir Bobby Charlton was one of the people who was completely against bringing him on.

Outside of Mourinho and Ancelotti, who is most likely gonna wait and see what happens at Bayern, there's no good alternative left.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
When is Roberto Martinez's contract expiring at Everton? I imagine he signed an extension recently as well. So if Pep, Carlo are out of the equation and we do not want to go through the Jose experience, we are down to Brentan and God forbid Moyes again!

Riz

My point is, we're still easily in contention for a top four finish. Not too long ago, we were sitting closely behind the first place and seemed to be on the right track. The worst decisions usually result from emotional overreactions, which a sacking of van Gaal right now would be. A manager taking over at the current point in time would require plenty of weeks to get acquainted with the team and implement his game plan.

We're not doing well and unless we seriously climb back up the ranks, van Gaal should be gone at the end of the season regardless. But as of right now, things, despite being bad, are still not bad enough in terms of the entire season to sack him.

The only reason to sack him now is if we viewed Mourinho as our manager of the next few years. I wouldn't be opposed to it, but IIRC Sir Bobby Charlton was one of the people who was completely against bringing him on.

Outside of Mourinho and Ancelotti, who is most likely gonna wait and see what happens at Bayern, there's no good alternative left.
I shared a similar view, that emotion was riding too high to make a decision and end up with Giggs as the boss. But our reaction to bombing out of a relatively easy group in the CL has been to lose back to back games against newly promoted teams. I now doubt he can turn this around and get us into the top 4. Leicester, Spurs and Liverpool will all finish above us if he stays in my opinion.

I think that argument that we're still in contention can be used to act fast rather than waiting till all was lost like we did with Moyes.

Revan

Assumptionman

The fact that one of the greatest managers of all time, the manager who has won more trophies than any other manager in the last 15 years is free changes the equation though.

You're right that we were near the top not long ago, but everyone who was watching the matches and wasn't completely deluded was saying that it is a fluke and it shows more how shit is the league rather than how strong we are. Then after a couple of weeks it became we are just a few points off the top, and after an another couple of weeks it became still in contention for top 4. What do you think it will happen in another few weeks?

Fact is, we are currently in relegation form. We won't be relegated but we won't win the title too. We won't finish in second half of the table, but neither in top 4.

Wade3

I shared a similar view, that emotion was riding too high to make a decision and end up with Giggs as the boss. But our reaction to bombing out of a relatively easy group in the CL has been to lose back to back games against newly promoted teams. I now doubt he can turn this around and get us into the top 4. Leicester, Spurs and Liverpool will all finish above us if he stays in my opinion.

I think that argument that we're still in contention can be used to act fast rather than waiting till all was lost like we did with Moyes.
The fact that one of the greatest managers of all time, the manager who has won more trophies than any other manager in the last 15 years is free changes the equation though.

You're right that we were near the top not long ago, but everyone who was watching the matches and wasn't completely deluded was saying that it is a fluke and it shows more how shit is the league rather than how strong we are. Then after a couple of weeks it became we are just a few points off the top, and after an another couple of weeks it became still in contention for top 4. What do you think it will happen in another few weeks?

Fact is, we are currently in relegation form. We won't be relegated but we won't win the title too. We won't finish in second half of the table, but neither in top 4.
As I've said, if the board views Mourinho as our manager for the next few years, I'd be all for signing him. Other than him, there are no quality managers out there who'd realistically take the job right now. I even have my doubts that Mourinho would take over right away. I could see him taking a little break until the end of the season.

Thus, I don't want us to appoint some interim manager just so we have fired van Gaal, although it could be tempting to see Giggs in charge to say the least.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Getting us into top 4 wouldn't be good enough for him to remain past this season anyway.

Bojan11

As I've said, if the board views Mourinho as our manager for the next few years, I'd be all for signing him. Other than him, there are no quality managers out there who'd realistically take the job right now. I even have my doubts that Mourinho would take over right away. I could see him taking a little break until the end of the season.

Thus, I don't want us to appoint some interim manager just so we have fired van Gaal, although it could be tempting to see Giggs in charge to say the least.
Mourinho has stated he is not taking a break.

You really think he won't take it? He'd be doing cartwheels from London to Manchester. This is the job that I truly believe he wanted all along.

Riz

Even so I don't have faith in Van Gaal to turn this around and qualify for the CL. For that reason regardless of whether we can get Pep, regardless of whether Mourinho would take over right away - I think van Gaal needs to go now. Regarding Giggs I'm not sure at all, if he would be the interim boss I guess it's like a free swing but he doesn't inspire confidence in me for top 4 either.

Revan

Assumptionman

Mourinho saying no, changes the equation, of course.

But regardless, I think that is time for LVG to go. There are clearly deep problems in the club, and an interim manager (even if he is inferior in quality to LVG) might give the team a needed push. Just watch Chelsea, they were today managed by no idea who, and played better than they did in any game this season.

When the entire team plays like shit - and today it looked more than ever that was happening - is time for the manager to check out.

At this stage, I wouldn't mind Giggs managing the team for the rest of the season. The worst it can happen is not getting qualified for UCL. Well, we aren't doing so with LVG in charge too.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I don't get the whole "give him to the end of the season" argument. If you were trapped in a jail cell with big Winston, you wouldn't wait until he'd finished annihilating your anus before deciding whether getting arse raped was right or wrong.

LVG has failed. His method are outdated and do not match the values of the club. He needs to go now so that something can be salvaged from this season.

Mutter Merkel

fate tied with LVG
I don't get the whole "give him to the end of the season" argument. If you were trapped in a jail cell with big Winston, you wouldn't wait until he'd finished annihilating your anus before deciding whether getting arse raped was right or wrong.
:lol::lol::lol: What in the world, man?

Riz

That is one of the most bizarre analogies I've ever heard. :lol::lol:

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
That's quite a specific analogy, is there anything you'd like to tell us?

Bojan11

LVG has failed. His method are outdated and do not match the values of the club. He needs to go now so that something can be salvaged from this season.
What in the world???

:lol::lol::lol:

Sam

:lol::lol:

That needs to be on a banner at the next home game.

DWelbz19

Hahaha. fecking what?

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
I don't get the whole "give him to the end of the season" argument. If you were trapped in a jail cell with big Winston, you wouldn't wait until he'd finished annihilating your anus before deciding whether getting arse raped was right or wrong
speak for yourself

itso 7

We need to change direction and that is only done by firing Van Gaal because he soooo refuses to change. Waiting until all is lost is a shitty way to run things plus there are two top class managers theoretically still available. Giving LVG till the end of the season, deciding to do so now with the January window upon us is practically throwing good money after bad.

Sca11ywag

If you know anything about football at all and don't as a rule like to be a bit stupid you will already know that the current Manchester United performances/results are a bit shit. All you have to ask yourself now is, whose to blame?

Frankly, in my opinion it's absolutely the mangers responsibility and that's about the end of it. Because he is in charge.

Here's the serious questions -

- are we any better than the start of this season?
- will we get any better by the end of this season?
- does next season look promising?
- does the manager honestly fill you with confidence?
- should we accept where we are?

Not being funny but the answers are there in my opinion. All this crap about not replacing your manager mid season, give me a break, he is not taking this team anywhere.

J-Stander

Hopefully were just waiting for him to finish his breakfast. If he's manager this time tomorrow then I'll cry.

Canuckred64

The results in another poor premier just are not good enough. With Pep, Ancelotti and Mourinho possibly being available, we have to act now. We already lost Klopp to Liverpool and can't afford to lose Pep to City, Ancelotti to Bayern and Mourinho to another top club.

Status
Not open for further replies.