LVG: the inside story

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
This cycle of shite will continue until we give Giggs the job. I wish we'd done it after Moyes so we'd be done with it by now.

reelworld

:lol: I'm not sure who comes across worse in that article - control freak Van Gaal or our mutual mollycoddling players. Probably the latter. The stuff about "long video analysis" and "critical emails" doesn't sound absurd given the trash we were playing under Moyes and LVG. The bit about ignoring critical emails makes them sound like little brats though.

And it's hilarious how the "player treatment" upsetting everyone wasn't that of Wayne Rooney's.

And finally, there's our angel of course absolved from all blame, the hidden genius biding his time, loyal to LVG and respected by all - Ryan Giggs. Give me a break.

Senior players set the tone. I say - bin Rooney, Carrick and Giggs, and let's build a stronger playing and management squad. Too many people hanging on to their positions rather than inspiring their juniors.
well said.
Although I don't see Carrick being the disruptive one, he got no personality whatsoever

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Whoever wrote this just CC'd every journalist in Britain into their email didn't they..
Yeah. Don't think we should jump to Giggs conclusions though. I see the hand of an agent, who has been listening to the stories from his player.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Couple of things I've gathered from this article:

- press has been briefed, the part read in the Guardian regarding 'no first touch shooting' and the emphasis on Rooney's failure to score a goal against Spurs suggests that it migh've been him
- LVG's a complete lunatic, nothing new here, players didn't like him, nothing surprising either
- our players are soft ass cnuts if they're too afraid of reading emails with analysis of their performances, unless they're called cnuts, shits and useless shitehawks in those emails there's no reason to be upset, that's how analysis works and it's made for them to improve upon their shortcomings, unprofessional to be mad about it; whereas I do understand that 1000 hours sessions of watching one's mistakes together can be stupid and annoying
- I've said the same shit after Moyes was sacked and of course all the 'why nobody liked him' stuff started popping out - our players, after Ferguson's reign, have too much power. We should ger rid of those senior figures asap in order to finally have some sanity in the club. Just feck them off asap and let Mou build his own shit.
- it does seem that Giggsy has been pretty toxic in all this. Sure, LVG's an idiot but since Giggsy is perceived as players' friend and has their backings, it smells of treachery and players like him simply because he played with them, 'he's a lad', 'he's an ex player' and other silly shite while having no managerial credentials. Hope he goes somewhere to prove himself, for his and the club's best.
- Depay's a prick but that's nothing new either.
- Schweinsteiger part is interesting. Of course people like Rooney can be all mad they want at his 'special treatment' but fact is that he's been under such treatment as well, 'my captain shall always' play bollocks. Funnily enough I always thought that Rooney and Schweinsteiger have some good relationship, wondering now if it's all acting.

This man's tenure has been utter garbage where players gained more power, he couldn't control them and it led to his downfall. We should, however, learn from all the crap that has happened under Moyes and LVG and make some heads roll.

Tincanalley

That bit about players not being allowed to take shots first time....Martial and Mata both had instances where they did this throughout the season. I'm sure they got chastised for it. And now im certain Rooney's cock up against Spurs in the first game of the season was because of this.

It's a pretty mental instruction.
Deeply worrying post. I mean, I like the odd Wild West movie a bit too, but... Unless you mean...

Tincanalley

Fecking disgraceful this leak. The player (s) or whomever leaked this needs sacking asap. No wonder we had such a shit season. Players taking the piss. I bet it's one of the 'old' contingent. See they've absolved Giggs of any blame:rolleyes: Read in one of those articles he was in charge of coaching the 'opposing' 11 in training and also set pieces? Couldn't stop conceding from that couldn't we?

If Mourinho comes he better get rid of the old guard as much as possible, and buy some tough bastards to come in and shake up that dressing room. Getting away with murder.

Also, when are we going to stop airing our dirty laundry?:rolleyes: Sick of it! Can't even enjoy winning the FA Cup!
I agree @Jazz, but that assumes that this was leaked by an MUFC employee. Doubt it.

reelworld

One of the reason of Mourinho downfall in Chelsea is player power led by Terry. I fecking hope that Mourinho learnt from that experienced and fecks off anyone who try that with him

Drifter

American
Think we've been here before and might be back here again. Player power as got stronger and the days of managers throwing tea cups or the hair dryer treatment are over.

Hammerfell

I dislike our 'senior players'. This makes you look just as bad, you eejits, so well done for sharing.

sugar_kane

I don't think it's Giggs (even though the comment about him constantly looking like a dog who's been shown a card trick being explained away as him being against the regime maaaan... is tragic) purely because of the snide comment about the focus on youngsters, and the pointless snipe at Schweinsteiger.

Both of these comments suggest someone over the hill who's position is at threat.

My bet is Ashley Young or Michael Carrick, and the Giggs stuff is just favouritism or a sense he would get on better were he a manager.

Tincanalley

I think there was a war between LVG and Mendes through the Dutchman's tenure. This was the parting shot, I think. Don't be surprised if you see Rooney or Carrick coming out and challenging this. Feels like a vindictive, triumphalist ego trip to me. Bet Mou is not impressed. Wonder what Bobby Charlton thinks?

Last edited:

sugar_kane

I hope Mourinho kicks their arses by the way, highly paid professional sportsmen who only care about chips or won't take feedback on their performances can get to feck

R'hllor

You can hate LvG as much you like and i know time has changed,with power of agents and players are on rise but i always tho that manager must be alpha dog and if clubs gets in position to choose between player/s and manager,player/s should be kicked in their arses(understand this might stupid way of doing things but really hate player power).

Rednotdead

For somebody that claims we don't know anything, you're cock-sure in your belief Giggs "does what he's told to do."

But that's your style, isn't it? Nobody knows anything, unless you know something, in which case you're completely right.

What is irrefutable is that Giggs has been on the coaching staff during two failed regimes. All of Moyes' men were let go (even the clearly talented Chris Woods). All of Van Gaal's men are likely to leave, too. Questioning Giggs' role in the set up, or the quality of his work, isn't all too controversial considering the rest of his colleagues are about to lose their jobs.
Stop being silly. Do you honestly think Giggs would have survived with a character like Van Gaal if he'd continually ignored him?

As for the personal comments, save them for someone who values your opinion. I don't.

Phil

Yeah. Don't think we should jump to Giggs conclusions though. I see the hand of an agent, who has been listening to the stories from his player.
Hmmm to me it's either Rooney or Giggs. Two senior guys around for both ex manager's times and feel untouchable enough to say and do what they want.

Rooney is a problem on the field to me so I wonder if being problematic off the field means he finally tucks off. Would take a lot of balls.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I can honestly say that even if Giggs goes and manages somewhere far away, like Timbuktu Rovers, some on here will still manufacture a way to blame him for everything that happens at Utd. What on earth would he have to gain from such a leak? Mourinho is all but confirmed officially, the whole world knows that so how would this advance Giggs' cause? It's completely illogical.
In an actual "Give it Giggsy" conspiracy sense, you're right - it makes no sense whatsoever. Unless the so-called Giggs camp are completely deluded, they wouldn't be actively lobbying for him at this stage. A few months ago, sure - but not now.

You could argue that a hatchet job on LVG which also paints Giggs in a positive light serves the purpose of absolving him from LVG's failures (it wasn't Giggsy's fault - he actually represented what little good went on during Evil Louis' reign of terror), but I personally don't see the value in speculating wildly about this one way or the other. Whatever it is, it can't be an attempt to launch Giggs as a candidate for anything - that ship has sailed, as everyone must know: If he ends up working under Mourinho, it won't be because his mates in the media have cleverly manipulated Woody into thinking he's grand.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Well criticising your team all the time does destroy moral, he should have found out why it is like this or how can he explain it to them differently instead of just sending E - Mails. Simeone once said players are like kids, he sometimes explains things to them in the evening then they go to bed and then the next day they still remember it.
LvG 's communication is difficult enough as it is , I am not even sure the English players understand his E-Mails, let alone the foreign ones. Did he let the E-mail translate for them first? Face to face it's all easier especially with language barrier.

Plus if lot's of your players have difficulty taking your criticism, then you should ask yourself why this is the case and what can be changed instead of just choosing a different medium.
He's a guy who has won around 20 trophies at various big clubs. He obviously doesn't "criticize them all the time". And neither does he "just send them emails". You sound as eager to make this sound a one sided issue as the guy who wrote that article.

:lol: "I'm not sure the players understood his emails"

But I suppose LVG is the raging nutjob our players/Giggs has to endure, is the narrative the story has gone for, and the likes of you will lap it up nice and proper.

Usually, there's mistakes on both sides that leads to a lack of success rather than just the one. This sounds like one laying all the blame on the other's table.

jetlee

The senior players come out as pathetic wankers from these articles. These leaks are not that particularly damning on LvG either, Rooney played as he wanted to from January and stayed in the team still.
And what a pathetic bunch our players are if they couldn't stand being criticized and not even trying to change according to the manager's advice. Not opening and watching the analysis video is a total low again.
Of course they want Giggs in charge because that means an easy ride for them.
The next man in charge, Mourinho should ship out these leaks immediately because he or they can do more harm to the club than another shit coaching regime.
This excessive player power means we will look like Chelsea in no time and no manager wants to enter in a poisonous atmosphere where there are this amount of backstabbing goes on constantly.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Can someone please explain me what is wrong if someone asked the club chef for some boiled eggs to go?

I am no fan of VG but this is cringe-worthy material. The control freak stuff on VG is not some ground breaking material and you didn't need to be a genius to guess that Fatian fecking Schweinsteiger has been having a gala time since his move. He is on a fecking paid holiday.

This type of leak doesn't show anyone in good light. Another episode in our ongoing soap opera. We are becoming like Chelsea.

I miss Fergie. :(

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
The senior players come out as pathetic wankers from these articles. These leaks are not that particularly damning on LvG either, Rooney played as he wanted to from January and stayed in the team still.
And what a pathetic bunch our players are if they couldn't stand being criticized and not even trying to change according to the manager's advice. Not opening and watching the analysis video is a total low again.
Of course they want Giggs in charge because that means an easy ride for them.
The next man in charge, Mourinho should ship out these leaks immediately because he or they can do more harm to the club than another shit coaching regime.
This excessive player power means we will look like Chelsea in no time and no manager wants to enter in a poisonous atmosphere where there are this amount of backstabbing goes on constantly.
I think that it was the form of feedback, not the feedback that iritated the playera mate.

Baby Faced Assassin

Pastor of Muppets
Classless of Woodward to brief the Manchester beat journos pre-sack to prepare the fans. Just do it quietly & efficiently.

That's two classless sackings by Woodward already.

togg

Could be just a friend of one of the players who leaked all this stuff. I mean, it's hardly plausible that players never ever discuss anything with people close to them.

I do feel the articles (although they are all saying the same thing so really one article) is extremely one-sided and overly sympathetic with the players. They are really pampered these guys and it seems now that whenever a manager gets tough or instils discipline (whether rightly or wrongly) the players use playing shite as some sort of protest! Fans pay large percentages of their wages to follow them and regardless of what is going on behind the scenes or how peed off they are, they should still work their bloody socks off on that pitch for the fans.

Player power has moved into a very damaging area. I can't think that Shankley, Ferguson, Stein, Busby or Paisley would put up with some of the moaning shite that spurts from these multi millionaires mouths sometimes!!

Ixion

Personally I'd be for Mourinho allowing Rooney, Carrick and Giggs to leave so we can start fresh. I don't want to see senior players/staff causing shit for Mourinho like they have done for Moyes and Van Gaal.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I'm afraid you're being sucked into the nonsense that Giggs has any control whatsoever over the football we play. He's Assistant Manager, that's it. He does what his boss tells him to do and Van Gaal makes the decisions. It could just as easily be a scenario that he makes suggestions to Van Gaal and gets completely ignored. We don't know, and probably never will, but some people just want everything to be Giggs' fault regardless.
Doesn't really fit in with the 'rock the boat' comments though does it? And if he was getting completely ignored at every turn, why is he still at the club? I've got absolutely nothing against Giggs and you won't find any posts from me blaming him for all our problems, but these reports, however acutely they've been created to show Giggs in a positive light, does just the opposite.

Woodzy

It's hard not to jump on the Giggs/Rooney conspiracy bandwagon with this. I think what we can be sure of either way is that both have far too much influence at this club. I think the safest option and the option that will make Mourinho's job easier (especially as it will literally have no negative effect on our on-pitch performances what so ever) is to just get rid of both. That includes other potential players they may be closely involved, such as Young (an assumption) and Carrick.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
maybe just maybe, the manager was fecking mental and shite and the article is just calling that out. That's my first impression and surely after what we've seen in the pitch that makes the most sense. Too many people pulling out the tin foil hats as another bat to beat Rooney and Giggs with.

LonelyFire

Hmmm to me it's either Rooney or Giggs. Two senior guys around for both ex manager's times and feel untouchable enough to say and do what they want.

Rooney is a problem on the field to me so I wonder if being problematic off the field means he finally tucks off. Would take a lot of balls.
If i was a betting man, i'd wager a fair amount on it having been Rooney.

ZupZup

Not really sure I get all the criticism of the players... the vast majority of fans have been ripping Van Gaal for months for his poor management and insisting we get rid. The players happen to think the same... so why the contempt? Part of being a decent manager is motivating your players, keeping morale up and getting the best out of your team. Other areas where Van Gaal was quite clearly failing at the job.

I don't think there's much point speculating on the source of the leaks either. I'd heard some of this story weeks ago and other things. Players are obviously going to talk to those close to them and stories unsurprisingly get around... even though this is clearly a more calculated briefing.

settembrini

Personally I'd be for Mourinho allowing Rooney, Carrick and Giggs to leave so we can start fresh. I don't want to see senior players/staff causing shit for Mourinho like they have done for Moyes and Van Gaal.
Exactly this.

Everyone with half a brain is saying the same thing in this thread. All these articles are Giggs and the old guard shifting blame onto Van Gaal (who to be fair deserves a lot of stick) and the young players (who deserve nothing but praise). Meanwhile they are all getting protected... Giggs has done a great job with his video analysis! Rooney was only terrible because he wasn't playing his 'own game'! Could they be any more transparent?

United, as a club, would be in a far better position if Giggs and every player over the age of 30 was shown the door. That's Rooney, Valencia, Carrick, Schweinsteiger and Young. Save a fortune in wages and give Mourinho a blank canvass to work with.

Rednotdead

It's hard not to jump on the Giggs/Rooney conspiracy bandwagon with this. I think what we can be sure of either way is that both have far too much influence at this club. I think the safest option and the option that will make Mourinho's job easier (especially as it will literally have no negative effect on our on-pitch performances what so ever) is to just get rid of both. That includes other potential players they may be closely involved, such as Young (an assumption) and Carrick.
If you want to go with player conspiracy theories, why not Carrick? He's not been offered a new contract and would appear to be leaving so has nothing to lose.

pjaya

I'll blame Woodward since he's the ceo, he have the authority to request all staff to quit talking (with the information security act or something) or just arranging a press conference to dispel these rumour and quickly act on lvg issue.
The more he delays the more damaging the club will be..

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
The passing of blame to LVG and no self-criticism from the players is astounding.

One source close to the players claims that Van Gaal’s strict regime of ‘training at 8.30, sent to rooms for a couple hours rest, training after lunch, back for video meetings and tactics discussion, back to rooms, supper of toast and then bed at half ten - every day for 14 days’ left the squad shattered and ill-prepared for the start of the 2014-15 season, which saw United endure their worst opening to a campaign for 25 years.
This is seriously, not bad at all. I also fecking doubt toast for dinner would be a thing, considering the amount of nutritionist input we'd have into dieting at the club, unless they came back overweight in the first place and needed to operate at a deficit.

Under Moyes and Sir Alex Ferguson, the first-team would regularly be given a day off on a Monday following a Sunday game, but Van Gaal has insisted on his players reporting for training on Mondays, when they would sit through a video replay of the previous game.
This is self-analysis. Considering they were still playing poorly every Sunday, I should hope they didn't get Monday off.

But such was the critical nature of the analysis – ‘he would crucify players in front of each other,’ according to one source – that captain Wayne Rooney and vice-captain Michael Carrick sought out Van Gaal to urge the manager to soften his approach in order to avoid breaking the confidence of his players.

Van Gaal accepted the advice and acted upon it by instead sending emails to players with clips and notes attached.

The majority of the players would not open the emails, however, knowing that inside lay a raft of criticisms, prompting a tracker to be attached to reveal when the emails had been opened.
Man the feck up. If you fecked up for Fergie; he'd smack you down in the dressing room in front of everyone and supposedly that was "great man management". No wonder they still kept playing crap if they weren't even listening to what they were doing wrong.

And Memphis Depay, the £25m summer signing who was dropped from the FA Cup final squad, is regarded as being allowed to waste his talent due to Van Gaal’s mis-management.
I'm also perplexed as to how this is LVG's fault. That little shite turning up in a Rolls Royce to a ressies game after being dropped after the Chelsea game, who the feck does he think he is? They also paint it like he made one mistake against Chelsea and was dropped. He'd been pathetic for ages, the last decent game he'd had, was against Watford. He also played both Uefa games and the FA cup game shortly after which were, coincidently, his best performances.

I do think the BFS stuff is a piss take though. You're part of the team, unless he had some serious home issues (albeit I have no idea if he did or not).

His tenure here was pretty underwhelming, considering what we thought might happen. The responsibility firmly stops with the manager, and he deserved to be replaced for falling short of the main goal of CL football. The notion that he is the root cause of all the issues is ridiculous though. There is inexperience and entrenched cultures that have made a melting pot of failures; it's hardly doom and gloom though. It's as though they've never had a rough patch in their life, or know how to adapt or work through a method that's not what they think should be the way.

Kag

Stop being silly. Do you honestly think Giggs would have survived with a character like Van Gaal if he'd continually ignored him?

As for the personal comments, save them for someone who values your opinion. I don't.
Who suggested that Giggs ignores him?

waza7111

This is worrying if the next manager is Mourinho who has a history of falling out with players. We need to find out who is responsible and get rid of them asap.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
maybe just maybe, the manager was fecking mental and shite and the article is just calling that out. That's my first impression and surely after what we've seen in the pitch that makes the most sense. Too many people pulling out the tin foil hats as another bat to beat Rooney and Giggs with.
Totally agree. The hatred for Rooney is embarrassing. The leak could be absolutely anybody, but no, it's the devil incarnate, the goat of Mendes himself Wayne Rooney!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He's a guy who has won around 20 trophies at various big clubs. He obviously doesn't "criticize them all the time". And neither does he "just send them emails". You sound as eager to make this sound a one sided issue as the guy who wrote that article.

:lol: "I'm not sure the players understood his emails"

But I suppose LVG is the raging nutjob our players/Giggs has to endure, is the narrative the story has gone for, and the likes of you will lap it up nice and proper.

Usually, there's mistakes on both sides that leads to a lack of success rather than just the one. This sounds like one laying all the blame on the other's table.
From where I stand I think that he did what Lyon former coach did, which is taking all the credits when the win and blame the players when the team lose.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
From where I stand I think that he did what Lyon former coach did, which is taking all the credits when the win and blame the players when the team lose.
He did? He's praised our team spirit, defensive strength many many times. It's certainly nowhere even close to what Mourinho did at Chelsea. Which is probably why we did have the togetherness in the camp to win the FA cup.

When he says we lack players with pace and skill, it's not really very different from what everyone thinks about United. It's been obvious for ages.