Madrid is the perfect city and Real is the perfect club to play (and support)

el3mel

No, it's certainly not a fact. They haven't even been the undoubted "best" club in Spain for decades now. The only fact is that they are the "biggest" and/or most-winning club in the history of the sport, which is no mean feat (although the fact that the first few "European cups" are officially recognised as proper CL titles is and will always be a joke). But claims like the ones made in the title of this thread are 100% subjective and 99,99% embarrassing in a fecking Manchester United forum. Madrid is a city which many people who truly know it, like myself, really dislike, the club has as much dirt and corruption as any, and the fandom can be as toxic as any.
This corruption thing is BS. You realize when we were successful in England, our rivals used to say exactly the same things about us, right? That we are corrupted and winning by the help of corrupted ref and fixed FA.. Etc. No one forgers the embarrassing "facts" presser Benitez made on us. Any losers in sport will say the same about the winners and it's always bollocks.

The toxic fanbase thing is subjective. As I said in another reply, it's easy to comment on other fans as toxic while labeling your own fans base great because you are part of that fan base. There's nothing indicating that we don't have our own toxicity, and honestly, pretty much all fan bases will have their decent side and toxic one.

Finally, they don't need to win the league and CL every year to prove that they are the best. Being so competitive almost every season in major trophies even when they are passing through shit periods or rebuilding the team is something many other clubs are incapable to do. They have 4 CL titles in the last decade alone which is the same number other clubs achieved (or even less) in their entire history.

I don't see the embarrassing part about the thread. Madrid isn't a rival, and just because I support United, I don't have to follow the propaganda and say we are the biggest club in the world and have the best ever fans. No one supports a club because it's the biggest club in the world otherwise everyone would have supported other clubs, so supporting other club and admitting that other club is simply better in every way is objective and realistic vision, no embarrassment about that at all.

cafecillos

This corruption thing is BS. You realize when we were successful in England, our rivals used to say exactly the same things about us, right? That we are corrupted and winning by the help of corrupted ref and fixed FA.. Etc. No one forgers the embarrassing "facts" presser Benitez made on us. Any losers in sport will say the same about the winners and it's always bollocks
No, it's absolutely not always bollocks. There's been plenty of corruption in Spanish football. It hasn't involved Real Madrid alone, but it has definitely involved Real Madrid.

The toxic fanbase thing is subjective. As I said in another reply, it's easy to comment on other fans as toxic while labeling your own fans base great because you are part of that fan base. There's nothing indicating that we don't have our own toxicity, and honestly, pretty much all fan bases will have their decent side and toxic one
Exactly my point, and I haven't labelled any fans as "great", so I don't know why you´d include that comment while replying to my message.

Finally, they don't need to win the league and CL every year to prove that they are the best. Being so competitive almost every season in major trophies even when they are passing through shit periods or rebuilding the team is something many other clubs are incapable to do. They have 4 CL titles in the last decade alone which is the same number other clubs achieved (or even less) in their entire history
No one is denying they are a hugely successful club, and they are extremely competitive in Europe very often. But they aldso had extended periods of mediocrity in UCL and of being utterly dominated domestically by their biggest rivals not so long ago. And they've had many seasons of being good in Europe but very poor domestically, which is definitely not something the best and perfect club would do. So yes, they are immensely successful, but they are very far from being a perfect club or the undoubted "best".

just because I support United, I don't have to follow the propaganda and say we are the biggest club in the world and have the best ever fans. No one supports a club because it's the biggest club in the world otherwise everyone would have supported other clubs, so supporting other club and admitting that other club is simply better in every way is objective and realistic vision, no embarrassment about that at all.
Again, I didn't say anything about United, but about Real Madrid, which is the club the thread is about. And yes, quite frankly, sentences like "admitting that other club is simply better in every way" are quite pathetic, not to mention arguably wrong or, at the very least, very far from certain. Real Madrid is not, and probably never will be, better in every way than many other European juggernauts. They haven't even been that good this year as you will have to admit if you've bothered to watch some of their matches.

el3mel

No, it's absolutely not always bollocks. There's been plenty of corruption in Spanish football. It hasn't involved Real Madrid alone, but it has definitely involved Real Madrid.
There's corruption everywhere including England. As I said, our rivals used to think we were fixing FA and refs when we were winning. A lot were saying Barca had UEFA in their pockets when they were under Pep. I'm yet to find a single club who wasn't accused of fixation and corruption when they were winning.

Exactly my point, and I haven't labelled any fans as "great", so I don't know why you´d include that comment while replying to my message.
This point has no purpose. No club chooses its fans anyway, and honestly, I don't remember the OP saying anything about Madrid having the best fans in general.

No one is denying they are a hugely successful club, and they are extremely competitive in Europe very often. But they aldso had extended periods of mediocrity in UCL and of being utterly dominated domestically by their biggest rivals not so long ago. And they've had many seasons of being good in Europe but very poor domestically, which is definitely not something the best and perfect club would do. So yes, they are immensely successful, but they are very far from being a perfect club or the undoubted "best".

Having a poor period from time to time is something that happens to any club. No one said they are successful every year, but the net result, though, is that they simply achieved far more than any other club in the world.

And if you think they're far from being the best in the world, you should tell us which club you think deserves this title more than them.

Again, I didn't say anything about United, but about Real Madrid, which is the club the thread is about. And yes, quite frankly, sentences like "admitting that other club is simply better in every way" are quite pathetic, not to mention arguably wrong or, at the very least, very far from certain. Real Madrid is not, and probably never will be, better in every way than many other European juggernauts. They haven't even been that good this year as you will have to admit if you've bothered to watch some of their matches.
Nothing shameful about this for me. I don't support United because it's the best in the world, have the most trophies or have the best players. Supporting the club has nothing to do with these. It's about enjoyment and having emotional connection with the club. There're fans for relegating clubs and clubs in championship that will never win anything, so supporting a club doesn't mean I think other clubs aren't better than it.

The last phrase is exactly why they're the best. They haven't been performing that good for a large chunk of this season and their squad isn't as good as it used to be few years ago, yet they won the league and in CL final beating clubs who have currently better teams, PSG, Chelsea (the current champions) and Man City.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I honestly don't think we fans are that toxic (in the past the locker room probably was). The whistling and mumbling (because nobody boos) is very exaggerated and it is certainly done in other stadiums, like the white handkerchiefs
It's peculiar, but it's a bad way to express your discontent? What other ways do fans have?
More toxic are those at Valencia, or at Atlético, a club that is a slave to the ultras.
I love Madrid and would have loved to live there at some point, although it's fine if you live in the centre, or are a student.
If you have family burdens,are in Getafe/Parla/Leganés etc and have an average salary obviously it sucks.
In any case footballers can't walk around the centre.Kroos has admitted that he hardly knows the city.They live very well in La Finca( one of the best urbanisations in Europe) or La Moraleja and according to what they say they have a top "player care service", already for many years (Breitner already pointed out how good that service was in the 70's).

Moriarty

The story is the opposite, it was the regime that benefited from real Madrid image in Europe. Real Madrid is the life work of Santiago Bernabéu, who was from humble origins and not related to the elites . One can argue that Barça was better treated by Franco, search how they got their current stadium.
We owe a great debt to Real Madrid and to Senor Bernabéu in particular. Without the help of that great man, United might not have survived as a club after Munich.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Franco favoured Barcelona, that's a new one on me, I thought he repressed the catalans
He helped them right after the war because their president and board of the time were Franquistas and supported him. He didn't favour Barcelona, or any football club really. Franco didn't like football. He started using Real Madrid as a PR machine for the regime once they started winning European Cups, initially with Bernabeu's support but then the regime began pushing it a bit too far which strained the relationship and turned Bernabeu against the regime, which turned into a shadow PR war of sorts with Bernabeu doing all that he reasonably could to distance the club from the regime

OleTheGreat

I hate Real with a passion after they publicly pursued Ronaldo even when Sir Alex or United did not want to sell.

If you dont show respect, you don`t deserve respect.
Wow! How could you not hate Ronaldo then? He wanted to leave but it is because of Sir Alex that he stayed for an extra year.

Terrific Tangerine

Supports
Blackpool
Real Madrid being the best club in the world isn't arse licking. It's a fact. They are on their course to win their 14th CL, for feck sake. The next club who won it the most after them, won it 7 times only.

If anything, the propaganda we hear from players who join us saying in every first interview that they are joining the biggest club in the world was cringey when it's clear that we aren't.

Nothing shameful about that but facts are facts.
They won their first 5 trophies when it was invite only and around 8 teams in the competition. Never mind the fact that many clubs didn't get an invite but other nations rejected the invite when it was given. Notably the English champions.

If you want to include those initial 5 wins you must also think that Preston North Ends double in 1888 would match anything Liverpool do this year.

If you only include the years when clubs entered the competition on merit not invite they are on 8. Which stills put them in first but removes the godlike aura fanboys like you want to bestow on them.

*my auto correct changed fanboys to fanny's. I was in two minds.

el3mel

They won their first 5 trophies when it was invite only and around 8 teams in the competition. Never mind the fact that many clubs didn't get an invite but other nations rejected the invite when it was given.

If you want to include those initial 5 wins you must also think that Preston North Ends double in 1888 would match anything Liverpool do this year.

If you only include the years when clubs entered the competition on merit not invite they are on 8. Which stills put them in first but removes the godlike aura fanboys like you want to bestow on them.

They won 4 CL titles in the last decade alone, which is far more than what many top clubs have ever won in their entire history.

So even if you exclude these first few trophies, they still have, what, 9 trophies ? Some huge clubs couldn't manage more than 3 or 4.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

They won their first 5 trophies when it was invite only and around 8 teams in the competition. Never mind the fact that many clubs didn't get an invite but other nations rejected the invite when it was given. Notably the English champions.

The invites were based around who was the league champion. imo it's hard to argue the early european cup wasn't a rapid success, with almost every relevant league having their best/near best representative present from as early as the second competition. I think the Soviet Union were the only competitive, solid league missing entirely from those 50s/early 60s tournaments. It's a very different tournament than the one of the past few decades, but i wouldn't discredit it as not being representative of Europe's best clubs.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
As others have said, Real’s record in the modern day CL era blows that of every other club out of the water. The teams with multiple CL wins in the modern day era:

7 - Real
4 - Barca
3 - Milan and Bayern
2 - Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea

Of course Juve are the notable absentees from this list.

They’ve reached the knockout stages of the competition 25 seasons in a row and counting, from 1997/1998 onwards.

If they beat Liverpool in Paris which I really hope they do, they’ll have won the competition more times in the modern day CL era alone, than anyone else has done in history.

Last edited:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I wouldn't have called them the greatest club on earth till the like 10 years ago but the CL run that they gone in the past decade cemented that unfortunately.

It could change obviously say a team like bayern, juve or God forbid pool go on a similar run.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid

(Modern) CL era titles:
7 R.Madrid
4 Barca
3 Bayern & Milan
2 United & Pool & Chelsea
1 Marseille & Ajax & Juve & Dortmund & Porto & Inter

The gap is as big I'm afraid. And some historic clubs become almost irrelevant in European scene.

Unless you want to make weird cut off points to suit your agenda.

Lecland07

Guessing this isn't the case anymore.

I don't think they hold the same attractiveness to players as they used to.

copen1945

They must be in a serious trouble, financially and football-wise. They got neither Mbappe and Haaland. Unbelievable. I just hope the Real Madrid players would give a last big push for the CL final.

copen1945

Guessing this isn't the case anymore.

I don't think they hold the same attractiveness to players as they used to.
Haaland didn't sacrifice the thickness of his wallet to go to his dream club. Real Madrid will have to match what Man City and PSG can offer in terms of the numbers.

Blackbeard

Supports
Bristol City
It’s satisfying seeing the demise of real even if it means the rise of the oil clubs.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
To bring up the average handsomeness levels.

If you don't like it, the ignore function is great. That way the people who like the interaction with rival fans can do so and the people who don't like it, don't have to.
I rather interact with rival fans, our fans are mostly idiots.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Obviously I'm a non-United fan on here, though one that respected the club a lot, has wanted them to do well in Europe, wants them to be challenging for the big prizes again etc. But I do think it's great that there are fans of so many different clubs posting here, and it makes it an interesting place. It's clearly far more welcoming to fans of other clubs than RAWK is for example.

I have found it weird though how over the years some Liverpool and City fans in-particular have signed up and then taken offence at and been comically oversensitive about comments criticising their clubs. I mean obviously there will be plenty of criticism of Liverpool and City on a Utd forum, what were they expecting?

That's like me signing up to a Burnley or Preston forum, and then taking offence at the inevitable negative comments about us, mocking us when we mess up etc. It would just be completely daft.

Last edited:

Terrific Tangerine

Supports
Blackpool
Haaland didn't sacrifice the thickness of his wallet to go to his dream club. Real Madrid will have to match what Man City and PSG can offer in terms of the numbers.
Another great aspect of no euro super league is the clear disadvantage Real have against PSG and City, and the lack of financial advantage they have over the other major teams these days.

Hearing them scream foul, when they've used every crooked trick for 20 years to soak up the best talent puts a smile on my face.

The claim that oil clubs are backed by a nation could equally have been levelled at Real at times.

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I have always wondered why does non united fans are allowed in here ?
There's nout wrong with opposition fans, annoying as they can be. My comment was about actual United fans twerking for Madrid (and often City and Liverpool too), it's pathetic and nauseating.