Maguire: “My win rate under current manager is ridiculously high” | “I don’t like playing once a month, will have a chat with club”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chumpsbechumps

What’s Harry supposed to say ? “I’m sh*t, it’s just a fluke when we win when I play”

Like, players have to believe in themselves, they are literally relying on their capacity to keep believing and playing for their careers.

Do I think Maguire is better off keeping what he thinks of his abilities and his massive ego to himself? Yes, but he doesn’t deserve the abuse he gets.

He’s not beating women or touching up kids, he’s just talking nonsense which shouldn’t be getting such a reaction. I think social media is a pox and the hysterical responses is just echo chambers of people looking to be angry.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
He's absolutely allowed to fight his corner and say things that make him look good, particularly when he's in an environment where he is one of the key players.

It can't all be he's shit, he should leave, he's the problem etc.

At least he's not taken to social media and effectively hidden behind an electronic device to say he's top dog and should be playing..

acnumber9

What’s Harry supposed to say ? “I’m sh*t, it’s just a fluke when we win when I play”

Like, players have to believe in themselves, they are literally relying on their capacity to keep believing and playing for their careers.

Do I think Maguire is better off keeping what he thinks of his abilities and his massive ego to himself? Yes, but he doesn’t deserve the abuse he gets.

He’s not beating women or touching up kids, he’s just talking nonsense which shouldn’t be getting such a reaction. I think social media is a pox and the hysterical responses is just echo chambers of people looking to be angry.
Don’t bring up win percentage at all?

Jericho

No. That would be the complete opposite of what he has actually said. How about something between the two polar opposites?

Oh my god, every time this guy speaks he comes out with this kind of self aggrandizing bullshit using very selective data. What's you win rate since you joined the club Harry because we've won feck all.

Waynne

Oh Harry. Harry Harry Harry.

Just try to do your best and keep out of the media.

Chumpsbechumps

No. That would be the complete opposite of what he has actually said. How about something between the two polar opposites?

Oh my god, every time this guy speaks he comes out with this kind of self aggrandizing bullshit using very selective data. What's you win rate since you joined the club Harry because we've won feck all.
yeh, he should say less or be more balanced but he seems to need to big himself up all the time.

But that doesn’t mean he deserves to be booed by our own fans and rival fans with the kind of meanness we are seeing. There are plenty of footballers who are more deserving of abuse for real cun*y behaviour.

This is all social media sh*te, it’s a nothing story and a nothing thing. He’s a bit of a knob, doesn’t the deserve the reactions he gets.

GoldanoGraham

He just had his best Utd moment for some time, the sensible thing would be to keep quiet or just say that you’re working hard and hoping that I can continue in the team……

Instead talks waffle and useless stats and makes out he is hard done by.

He is another that just doesn’t read the room very well.

tenhagsimp

This is like a kid who bragged about his winrate in online FIFA while playing in Division 10. Nobody gives a feck about winrate in non 1v1 sports even then its gonna be taken with a grain of salt

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
To be fair to him, everyone has been toilet and he's come in and had a good game. He's just capitalizing on that. The writing was on the wall in the summer, so it's a bit disingenuous to pretend like he was under the impression he'd play more, but I can see why he's saying what he's saying.

owlo

You were entitled to stay and be paid as per the stipulations of your contract harry. were entitled to keep you in the reserves and not let you play as per the stipulations of your contract harry.

you decided the extra cash was worth more than playing, suck it up buttercup

fallengt

He only counts the game that he started or what? Because those meant to be easy matches, it was the reason that he started in the first place

m1tch

He gets no better does he?
Whilst I'm sure living in a bubble helps him cope with the barrage of ridicule, abuse and criticism, it certainly hasn't helped him develop any self awareness or media skills.

Maybe he's just another total prick that doesn't do his talking on the pitch and favours talking to the media instead. He should be a bit embarrassed about his performance levels at United in recent seasons, all the mistakes, and favour limited responses in the media and a focus on his training and playing opportunities to prove people wrong.

It happens every international break, I'm sure journalists set United players up for these sorts of headline making quotes, given they aren't the sharpest of thinkers. What's annoying is that we don't have those characters of old that prioritised how they were actually performing and achieving to the extent that they'd not be in these positions.

The White Pele

Just to analyse this "ridiculously high" win percentage claim that Maguire has repeatedly mentioned.

Maguire's win rate under Ten Hag is 77% from 35 games. He has started just 18 of those with a win rate of 78%. So in the 17 games he started on the bench and was subbed on the win rate was similar.

Ten Hag's overall win rate is 63% at United so Maguire's is above average but you have to look at the detail of the games to see that his claim is not that strong:

• United lost the first 3 games Maguire started under Ten Hag (Brighton (H), Brentford (A), Real Sociedad (H)) following which he has been considered as a backup only
  • Since then he has started only 15 games for United of which we have won 14 (93%).
  • 11 of those starts and wins were at home. Man United have a 78% win rate at home under Ten Hag across 41 games
  • 6 of those home starts were in the domestic cups including games against Charlton Athletic and Reading. None of the 5 home premier league games he started were against top 8 sides
  • The 4 games he has started away from home were wins against Leeds, Forest and Betis and the 3-0 defeat to Sevilla
  • The 17 sub appearances he has made have also been mostly at home (13).
  • We were already winning 14 of these matches when Maguire was subbed on and won 13 of these (Maguire was subbed on with United winning 2-0 at home to Sevilla and final result was 2-2)
  • His substitute appearances have only been for 15 minutes or more on 3 occasions: the Sevilla match (2 goal lead squandered), Arsenal away (Maguire subbed on at 1-1 and we lost 3-1) and a 3-0 win at home to Sheriff Tiraspol
  • Outside of the above 3 matches, he has averaged 6 minutes when being used as a substitute by Ten Hag.

So in summary, his record is heavily skewed by the proportion of his games that have been played at home and the level of the opposition.

DateCompVenueResultOpponentStartMin
07/08/2022Premier LeagueHomeL 1–2BrightonY90
13/08/2022Premier LeagueAwayL 0–4BrentfordY90
04/09/2022Premier LeagueHomeW 3–1ArsenalN11
08/09/2022Europa LgHomeL 0–1es Real SociedadY90
15/09/2022Europa LgAwayW 2–0md Sheriff TiraspolN1
27/10/2022Europa LgHomeW 3–0md Sheriff TiraspolN45
30/10/2022Premier LeagueHomeW 1–0West HamY90
03/11/2022Europa LgAwayW 1–0es Real SociedadN8
10/11/2022EFL CupHomeW 4–2Aston VillaY90
27/12/2022Premier LeagueHomeW 3–0Nott'ham ForestN14
31/12/2022Premier LeagueAwayW 1–0WolvesN1
03/01/2023Premier LeagueHomeW 3–0BournemouthY90
06/01/2023FA CupHomeW 3–1EvertonN8
10/01/2023EFL CupHomeW 3–0Charlton AthY90
14/01/2023Premier LeagueHomeW 2–1Manchester CityN1
28/01/2023FA CupHomeW 3–1ReadingY90
01/02/2023EFL CupHomeW 2–0Nott'ham ForestN11
04/02/2023Premier LeagueHomeW 2–1Crystal PalaceN4
12/02/2023Premier LeagueAwayW 2–0Leeds UnitedY90
26/02/2023EFL CupHomeW 2–0Newcastle UtdN3
01/03/2023FA CupHomeW 3–1West HamY90
12/03/2023Premier LeagueHomeD 0–0SouthamptonN1
16/03/2023Europa LgAwayW 1–0es BetisY90
19/03/2023FA CupHomeW 3–1FulhamY90
08/04/2023Premier LeagueHomeW 2–0EvertonY90
13/04/2023Europa LgHomeD 2–2es SevillaN45
16/04/2023Premier LeagueAwayW 2–0Nott'ham ForestY90
20/04/2023Europa LgAwayL 0–3es SevillaY90
30/04/2023Premier LeagueHomeW 1–0Aston VillaN5
13/05/2023Premier LeagueHomeW 2–0WolvesN10
28/05/2023Premier LeagueHomeW 2–1FulhamY90
03/09/2023Premier LeagueAwayL 1–3ArsenalN24
26/09/2023EFL CupHomeW 3–0Crystal PalaceY90
30/09/2023Premier LeagueHomeL 0–1Crystal PalaceN4
07/10/2023Premier LeagueHomeW 2–1BrentfordY90

Woziak

Look we have 6 major defenders from the squad injured and they have been for at last 2-3 weeks, why isn’t he featuring more, we can’t buy another CB right now, he’s fit and strong and deserves a chance right now to be the preferred option next to Varane first and if he’s not fit then Lindelof or Evans as Dalot and Reguilon if fit will play full backs.

We really don’t have the options if HM produces a purple patch of form and united win the next 5 or 6 games then two things happen;

1. The club stabilises and has a chance to Mount a top 4/5 challenge and recover the CL
2. His Price goes back up to £35-40m which is probably his worth if he hit form.

Martin(6)Buchan

Maybe there is a reason you only get to play once a month, did you ever think of the reason why Harry

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Not helping himself. Win rate is high because you play in the easier games mate.

RuudTom83

Player answers journalist question.

No need to take it serious or over analyse every word.

Harry has played a few times for United since the last international, none of the other CB's have done enough to take his England place. The end.

How many articles and videos can you make on the same topic. It's fecking boring.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
This season the team has been crap without Maguire, so if he is available he might as well play. He can't be used as a scapegoat when so many other players are not performing this season so far.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
I think Maguire was the final nail in the coffin for Ole, what with his red card against Watford. Maybe Ten Hag should send him on a second Greek holiday to keep him happy.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Absolutely nothing wrong with the content of what he said. But he really should have
Not helping himself. Win rate is high because you play in the easier games mate.
That's the bottom line. He really needed to flat bat these questions. "Keep working hard. Big club. Competition for places... blah blah blah" I've felt sorry for him about the level of shite he's been getting but he does have a habit of bringing unnecessary attention on himself. The hands to ears stuff was incredibly badly judged. Now, just when the stick he's been getting has just started to die down he has to crap on about how much better United are when he's in the starting line-up. WTF?

davidmichael

If he isn’t happy playing once a month and being a back up option then he should lower his egotistical opinion of himself and accept no top club wants him so West Ham would have been perfect for him, playing every week and European football would see him keep his England place also.

Reality is playing for United gives him name value, prestige and a massive fecking wage and he didn’t want to give any of those up to play for West Ham so fecked himself as he’s our fourth choice centre back at best and an argument could be made he’s our fifth choice whilst we’re still looking at others which would push him further down the pecking order.

mintyred

Maguire, just stay humble and let your football do the talking. You can see when he played well he gets praise, I know he's probably aiming that comment at his critics but he doesn't need to. Comments like this show that he's rattled.

ErikElevenHag

Relax guys, looking from his perspective he needs to spin something positive. He is also human being and I believe he knows his position.

As long as he is still professional until he leaves then no issues here. Last week he came off from the bench and helped to assist the winner. That's all that matter.
Maguire started the game and had a solid outing tbf.

Can't really blame maguire, this is his last chance at making good money and riding the coat tails of others to potential trophies, the fault is our own for putting him in a position to do what he's doing. If he goes to someone like West Ham he's basically accepting the end of his career at an elite club and seeing the remainder of his career out as a solid premier league player (which he is).

Dansk

I have two bicycles, one for serious sports cycling and then a cruddy old one that I just use to get to and from Lidl because it has a sturdy basket which is good for transporting groceries. Since I only ever ride it to the shops and back at a leisurely pace, I've never fallen or been close to getting in an accident on that bicycle. This doesn't somehow mean it's safer, I just don't use it for the kind of cycling where there's any real risk of an accident. That old second-hand bicycle has a better "win rate" than my racer which I've had a couple of accidents with because it's the one I use for difficult rides. If my bicycles could speak and the old one tried to claim that this made it the superior bike, I would scrap it immediately for being out of its mind.

Giggsy13

How about doing his talking on the pitch?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

Something like "I think I performed well in the last game and if I'm being given more chances I'd do my best and show the gaffer I still have my parts to play at United" would be better. If he follows it with a handful of decent performances his stake will be much much higher.

Problem with his statements is, sometimes he forgets he is still an easy target. No need to keep bigging yourself up all the time. The last performance was the best example, he helped us win the game and everyone didnt say a bad word about him.

Ace of Spades

I think he gets abused undeservedly, but comments like these don't help.

It is obvious that his time here is coming to an end, just keep quiet, and wait till a move gets done.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
He's not lying. Still needs to go though. He lost the majority of the fans and even when he puts in good performances they are still down on him...

Status
Not open for further replies.