Maguire and Lindelof Partnership

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Agreed, Lindelöf has never convinced me.

We've got problems everywhere in fairness, McTom is all over the shop, superb one week, shite the next, our formally superb keeper now looks amongst the worst in the Prem but he's going nowhere due to a fat contract.

Haaland would be a step towards at least addressing a CF goalscoring issue we've had since Mou lost his shit and Lukaku decided he hated it here.

But even if we bring in Haaland and he's good enough, as you say, we need probably need a LB and CB to sort the defence, a number 10 and RF to sort the attack and at least 1 CM.
Due to finances, I reckon we can get away with Smalling for a year or so. He’s a better defender than Lindelöf and Axel for sure, and is fairly consistent. We do need a striker although I really believe Mason is that good so I’m conflicted about that one.

Midfield is of course the area that needs to clearest improvement, with probably 2 starting level players.

Asger

Due to finances, I reckon we can get away with Smalling for a year or so. He’s a better defender than Lindelöf and Axel for sure, and is fairly consistent. We do need a striker although I really believe Mason is that good so I’m conflicted about that one.

Midfield is of course the area that needs to clearest improvement, with probably 2 starting level players.
Need fullbacks aswell

Paul_Scholes18

I am happy enough with them. Would rather get more attacking fullbacks than replace them.
Maguire is not worth the money, but it would be stupid to sell him. Lindelöf has done well, but has some flaws.
Both would probably improve under a better manager.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Players can be bought for reasonable sums and there's absolutely no need to bring Smalling back now. Let's move forward as a club and actually sign players who are not only good defenders but also good footballers. Smalling fails miserably at the latter and a club with our financial clout shouldn't accept such limited players going forward.

Our defence is better as a unit than it has been in years. Sure it can be improved but not as easily as some seem to think. We need to focus on cutting out the individual mistakes more than anything, and perhaps begin to look at new keepers. De Gea makes things very difficult for us with his reluctance to leave his line.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Players can be bought for reasonable sums and there's absolutely no need to bring Smalling back now. Let's move forward as a club and actually sign players who are not only good defenders but also good footballers. Smalling fails miserably at the latter and a club with our financial clout shouldn't accept such limited players going forward.
Of course, sign a better defender than Smalling, but in the event of not doing that in the summer due to maybe trying to also buy a striker, winger a couple of midfielders etc - then play the better player of the two that we have, and Smalling is better than Lindelöf in my opinion. Replacing Smalling with Lindelöf was not us moving forward as a club in my view. Smalling is still our player, it’s not like I’m advocating we go and sign him from Roma. It’s about making the best of what we have. As I said, by all means, buy a better defender if we can, but until then, Smalling should be replaced in the team by someone better than him not worse.

Bobski

Teams don't have to work hard to create chances against Utd. It is one of the reasons why I am wary of the XGA arguments, short periods of pressure can lead to big chances against Utd, you don't have to bombard our back-line for the chance to come. I don't think Lindelof is an impactful defensive player while Maguire has obvious issues with pace and agility on the turn to contend with.

Alejandro Angel

Of course, sign a better defender than Smalling, but in the event of not doing that in the summer due to maybe trying to also buy a striker, winger a couple of midfielders etc - then play the better player of the two that we have, and Smalling is better than Lindelöf in my opinion. Replacing Smalling with Lindelöf was not us moving forward as a club in my view. Smalling is still our player, it’s not like I’m advocating we go and sign him from Roma. It’s about making the best of what we have. As I said, by all means, buy a better defender if we can, but until then, Smalling should be replaced in the team by someone better than him not worse.
Agree fully Smalling although maligned is a very good defender and also a goal threat. Lindelof is a better passer of the ball but he was waste full today and has been error prone he was not at fault for today's performance but he has not improved the back line. Smalling although ungainly is not as awful as he is perceived.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I agree Smalling staying would've been more beneficial to the team this season but for some reason Ole decided otherwise which was a very strange decision imo.

But he's on loan now and we have a opportunity get a sizeable chunk in return from Roma due to his good form. And we really should try and get at least £20m for him. And if possible reinvest that money into signing someone like Todibo from Barcelona who at 19 is showing huge potential and has been likened to a young Varane by well respected french journos and pundits alike.

William Saliba would've been potentially a very good capture and had all the attributes required to reach the top. But sadly for me Arsenal bought him for £30m by agreeing a payment plan over a number of years.

But I think what ole will do is partner Bailly with Maguire once the Ivorian is back to full fitness.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I agree Smalling staying would've been more beneficial to the team this season but for some reason Ole decided otherwise which was a very strange decision imo.

But he's on loan now and we have a opportunity get a sizeable chunk in return from Roma due to his good form. And we really should try and get at least £20m for him. And if possible reinvest that money into signing someone like Todibo from Barcelona who at 19 is showing huge potential and has been likened to a young Varane by well respected french journos and pundits alike.

William Saliba would've been potentially a very good capture and had all the attributes required to reach the top. But sadly for me Arsenal bought him for £30m by agreeing a payment plan over a number of years.

But I think what ole will do is partner Bailly with Maguire once the Ivorian is back to full fitness.
I like what I’ve seen of Todibo, he looks a top prospect. We really need a few centre halves going out the door though before we do any business. I’d have no problem if Smalling was sold, I do have a problem if the big plan is to sell Smalling and replace with Lindelöf.

Bailly is a poor defender, for me, although is perhaps young enough to turn into a player. He’s terrible in the air though and a bit on the rash side. Tbh with you, I think Marcos Rojo gets more shit than he deserves, and of the players here right now, I think he’s better than the rest bar Maguire personally. Not that he’s all that either.

It’s a key position though, and the foundation of all top sides. I don’t think we’ve figured it out. I’d love a Smalling who is better on the ball. Todibo looks to be in that mould, a player like Varane. As I’ve said elsewhere, I’m not sold on Tuanzebe either, I’ve seen little to suggest he’s a potential world class centre half. That said, I of course respect his age for now. I wouldn’t cry if he left, and I think, considering what young English players are going for now, we could get about £25m for him, and with a buy-back clause, that wouldn’t be the worst business.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I like what I’ve seen of Todibo, he looks a top prospect. We really need a few centre halves going out the door though before we do any business. I’d have no problem if Smalling was sold, I do have a problem if the big plan is to sell Smalling and replace with Lindelöf.

Bailly is a poor defender, for me, although is perhaps young enough to turn into a player. He’s terrible in the air though and a bit on the rash side. Tbh with you, I think Marcos Rojo gets more shit than he deserves, and of the players here right now, I think he’s better than the rest bar Maguire personally. Not that he’s all that either.

It’s a key position though, and the foundation of all top sides. I don’t think we’ve figured it out. I’d love a Smalling who is better on the ball. Todibo looks to be in that mould, a player like Varane. As I’ve said elsewhere, I’m not sold on Tuanzebe either, I’ve seen little to suggest he’s a potential world class centre half. That said, I of course respect his age for now. I wouldn’t cry if he left, and I think, considering what young English players are going for now, we could get about £25m for him, and with a buy-back clause, that wouldn’t be the worst business.
I think Ole was naive in letting Smalling go and partnering Lindelof with Maguire. I don't believe the current partnership is cut out to play the highline without exposing their obvious flaws which brings Bailly back into the equation due to his physical traits which would better suit us against teams who sit back and would allow Maguire to overload in midfield with Bailly's electric pace as a insurance policy.

Personally, I feel that we should sell at least 2-3 of the following, Lindelof, Rojo, Bailly, Jones, Smalling and make a concerted effort for Ibrahima Konate. Konate and Maguire would potentially be a formidable partnership in the short-term and long-term.

Wolvereen

Lindelof isn’t great at anything as a defender, and certainly isn’t good enough to carry Maguire who at 80mm we shouldn’t even be saying needs to be carried. But facts are facts.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
These two make every Tom, Dick, and Harry of strikers play like prime Lewandowski.
Even a lone Deeney was easily unsettle these two, and they had to foul him many times.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I'd be bringing Smalling back personally. Miles better defender than Lindelof. Might be worse on the ball but Maguire is decent enough on the ball so would be fine.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Teams don't have to work hard to create chances against Utd. It is one of the reasons why I am wary of the XGA arguments, short periods of pressure can lead to big chances against Utd, you don't have to bombard our back-line for the chance to come. I don't think Lindelof is an impactful defensive player while Maguire has obvious issues with pace and agility on the turn to contend with.
This is true. We've seen time and again this season that you only really need to pressure or get on top of us for a few minutes and we'll gift over a goal. We have even started literally scoring goals for the opposition without them needing to create chances.

Maguire and Lindelof can't command their own six yard box, let alone penalty area. As soon as the ball comes in it's inevitably a problem. As soon as someone is running at either of them it is a problem. As soon as the ball is played behind them it is a problem.

Our two best defenders defensively are our two fullbacks, and really for a team that wants to attack it's meant to be the other way round, where the fullbacks can trust the centrebacks to bail them out. Instead you see Bissaka or Shaw reluctant to get ahead of the ball, or scrambling back to get in a position to cover because the centrbacks have not dealt with a situation that really they should have.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'd be bringing Smalling back personally. Miles better defender than Lindelof. Might be worse on the ball but Maguire is decent enough on the ball so would be fine.
Agree. He was limited on the ball but IMO a better defender than either. Only problem is that Tuanzebe gets shafted then but he's not getting many chances right now either.

We need one attacking fullback too.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Gayle chance

0-1
Longstaff

This two videos pretty much sum them up for me - slow and average.

I seriously can't understand how anyone think either of them is a great CB. And this doesn't even show their flaffing with the ball, and Lindelof's poor heading abilities.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Either they're both a bit rubbish, or they're rubbish together... Either way can't help but think it's a bit, well, rubbish.

Irwin99

I seriously can't understand how anyone think either of them is a great CB. And this doesn't even show their flaffing with the ball, and Lindelof's poor heading abilities.
Hate to say it as well but does AWB have a part in both those chances with poor passes? No doubt about Shaw (you dont need to be THAT far up the pitch at THIS stage of the attack) and also Maguire and Lindelof not being strong enough in the tackle.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Thinking back to when Maguire was at Leicester, he had Huth or Morgan alongside him, both out and out competitive CB's, who will attack the ball, he hasn't got that with United, he is supposedly the CB who will attack the ball more often than not. I think Maguire will do better if we had s CB alongside him who will do that. Smalling could have been that player, but I think Ole felt a CB who can play the ball out of defence was the way to go, I'm not sure it works. I like Tuanzebe, and would like to see him alongside Maguire, perhaps in cup games. I'm not sure Maguire has total confidence in his defensive partners yet, Shaw has still to prove himself, and AWB is still learning the game, Lindelof still hasn't grasped Premiership football yet in my eyes, this is partly why we struggle against teams like Watford etc who have big strikers and are up for the physical battle, which we seem unable to cope with.

A-man

When United have the lead they are difficult to pass and they move around the ball well. When United push for a goal with the whole team on the other hand, and a midfielder or attacker loses the ball like they are vulnerable for counters.

It was very clear today how they have divided their roles. Maguire push high up to win back the ball to get back possession and Lindelof drop behind for cover.

Johnson Yip

When United have the lead they are difficult to pass and they move around the ball well. When United push for a goal with the whole team on the other hand, and a midfielder or attacker loses the ball like they are vulnerable for counters.

It was very clear today how they have divided their roles. Maguire push high up to win back the ball to get back possession and Lindelof drop behind for cover.
Well said, and that's why we sucked - Maguire should be the one to drop behind for cover and distribute the ball, which is his strength. Lindelof was a disaster since the season started.

Given we won't be recalling Smalling anytime soon, Ole should slot in Rojo to play the aggressive CB role with Maguire dropping back.

amolbhatia50k

Our back barring AWB can be so passive at times. Lindelof seems to have a no defending policy or something. Maguire is more dominant but really nothing special. I think Shaw was a good defender pre injury but right now he's too hesitant. All in all we've spent a shit loads on defence and I think we haven't kept a clean sheet in 16 PL games?

amolbhatia50k

Tuanzebe deserves some chances now. This partnership has been first choice all season and our defence hasn't been strong enough.

norm87cro

The fact that we we're desperate for a, defender and that there is a general price inflation in football isn't Maguire's fault nor is the fact that our midfield often goes missing leaving him with the ball. Is he as good as other United greats in the position (Bruce, Pallister, Vidić, Rio or Stam)? Not currently but with the right partner he can be. I said it before: (and I see some people said it too) defensively Lindelof isn't really very good at anything and the fact we have very seroius midfield issues has probably bought him another season.

Strelok

Either they're both a bit rubbish, or they're rubbish together... Either way can't help but think it's a bit, well, rubbish.
After watching the last few matches I've come to a few conclusions:

- Lindelof: shit when it comes to aerial or physical challenge, that's why teams always try to exploit his position in set pieces or when they try huffing the ball. However he got a decent pace and positioning, so he is usually able to deal with quick counter.

- Maguire: the exact opposite of Lindelof. His positioning is often woeful when facing a quick counter, plus he has almost no acceleration that's why he is often so shit when we have to defend against quick counter. When he was playing at Leicester he didn't have to deal with as many quick counters as now so this didn't show.

Both are decent CB but each own weakness means we'd never have a solid defence imo.

I'd rather keep Maguire and look for an upgrade in Lindelof. Maguire may improve his posititioning but Lindelof can't improve his strength, jumping and height. It's just not possible any more at his current age.

We'd need a complete modern center back: big, strong, brave, fast, good positioning and reading the game, technically decent with the ball. Of which I have no idea who we should sign. May Tuanzebe could develop to such one. He only lacks good positioning and reading the game imo, which usually would come with more experience.

And Smalling, he's so shit in passing and with the ball, especially under high pressure. He's not good against quick counter either. Having him in the team will feck up the way we're trying to implement our play and very dangerous as well. He of course can be a valuable bench option but not good enough to start imo.

Last edited:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like They both have similar play style and were deemed to be ball playing centre backs?

Has that ever worked for anybody besides Barca? two ball playing centre backs.

The Urban Goose

With hindsight it's easy to say we should've kept Smalling and play him ahead of Lindelof, but Smalling's injury record is pretty bad and last season Lindelof looked like he was settling into the Prem. It's obvious this season though he's not good enough.

I'm reserving judgement on Maguire until he has a better partner, hopefully with a Rio type alongside him he can concentrate on himself a bit more.

The Newcastle chance and goal were appalling defending, but midfield should share some of the blame - who was tracking the runs? With the goal, just watch McTominay throughout - useless passage of defending; if that was Pogba he'd be crucified.

Strelok

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like They both have similar play style and were deemed to be ball playing centre backs?

Has that ever worked for anybody besides Barca? two ball playing centre backs.
It was Pep who killed the traditional center backs. The complete modern center backs now are usually ball playing center backs, apart from great defence skills must be good with the ball and passing as well. VVD or Ramos is the very definition of a complete modern center back imo.

If you look at big teams now you'd realise they all have at leats one world class modern center back. VVD, Ramos, Pique, Hummels, Laporte ...

City under Pep usually play with two ball playing center backs. I think all teams want to do that as well, it's just they are usually very expensive and hard to get.

Our issue is Lindelof is decent with the ball but crap in other defence skills.

M Bison

Supports
York City
A lot of people saying that is Lindelof who’s not up to it but I’ve seen nothing to suggest Maguire is the defender we need.

Both look suspect to me, neither one looks better than the other.

Only element I’m pleased with is the consistency, as in both playing regularly.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
A lot of people saying that is Lindelof who’s not up to it but I’ve seen nothing to suggest Maguire is the defender we need.

Nothing? Sure that Maguire isn’t VVD or as good as our past centre back like Stam, Rio & Vidic. But surely you can see that there is not many better centre back out there we can sign. Maguire is basically Lindelof with much more composed on the ball especially when under pressure, able to hold the ball, physically stronger & much better in the air. Not a type of centre back that will get bullied easily. On the other hand, Lindelof is often being targeted by a lot of attackers and can be easily bullied by attackers.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Nothing? Sure that Maguire isn’t VVD or as good as our past centre back like Stam, Rio & Vidic. But surely you can see that there is not many better centre back out there we can sign. Maguire is basically Lindelof with much more composed on the ball especially when under pressure, able to hold the ball, physically stronger & much better in the air. Not a type of centre back that will get bullied easily. On the other hand, Lindelof is often being targeted by a lot of attackers and can be easily bullied by attackers.
I'm not saying Lindelof is better than Maguire, my point is both have clear deficiencies. I agree with your points on Lindelof, but on Maguire his lack of pace and difficulty in turning is a major concern. Lindelof will be targeted by a big lad, and Maguire will be targeted by a nippy, quick player.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I'm not saying Lindelof is better than Maguire, my point is both have clear deficiencies. I agree with your points on Lindelof, but on Maguire his lack of pace and difficulty in turning is a major concern. Lindelof will be targeted by a big lad, and Maguire will be targeted by a nippy, quick player.
My point is that there is something (not nothing) within Maguire to suggest if he’s a defender that we need. There is nothing in Lindelof you can find to suggest if he’s a defender that we need. Slow defender like Vidic & Hummels have weakness and that’s why they are paired with more mobile or quick centre back not with Lindelof.

M Bison

Supports
York City
My point is that there is something (not nothing) within Maguire to suggest if he’s a defender that we need. There is nothing in Lindelof you can find to suggest if he’s a defender that we need. Slow defender like Vidic & Hummels have weakness and that’s why they are paired with more mobile or quick centre back not with Lindelof.
I know what you’re saying and before we signed Harry I thought he was the answer. What I didn’t realise is how slow and cumbersome he is. When he gets caught out of position or is turned, he’s so slow to get back and looks immobile in my view.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I know what you’re saying and before we signed Harry I thought he was the answer. What I didn’t realise is how slow and cumbersome he is. When he gets caught out of position or is turned, he’s so slow to get back and looks immobile in my view.
Being slow alone doesn’t mean he has nothing to be a centre back that we need. What we needed wasn’t only centre back with pace alone, if pace alone is enough, we wouldn’t need to sign him and we could stick with Bailly-Lindelof partnership.

Ekeke

Maguire is a million miles better in the air and at dealing with physical players. On the ball he starts far more attacks than Lindelof too

Certainly not always the case, but he also made the most tackles in the team against Newcastle which is impressive when AWB is on the pitch.

Now that doesnt mean he doesnt have weaknesses. But unlike Lindelof he also has strengths and a CB duo is best when you have 2 players with strengths and weaknesses that compliment each other. Rio wasnt the best in the air or the most aggressive for example, but he had speed and positioning which meant that Vidic's aggression and dominance in the air made them both look better CBs. Maguire needs someone who helps him out with speed. Lindelof needs someone to help him out with everything.

A-man

I watched Leicester - Liverpool yesterday. After five minutes, the Leicester defence had made more mistakes than the United defence made in the whole match. And Leicester have a good defence. I think people should watch other games more and they will see that the 2-3 chances that Newcastle got yesterday, that’s nothing strange in football.