g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Maguire | he stays!

Zed 101

Yeah he has every right to do a deal not hold the Club he was captain of to ransom. He is owed £89,904x52 x3 equals 14.025m. So United has offer 7m up front as a package to leave. He hasn't accepted a deal and wants all the money so to you or him he can take the wrath of the fans. Me, I would stick him in the Phil Jones cupboard as I couldn't careless about Glazers money and the arse needs taught a lesson.
Why 3x he only has 2 years left unless we choose to extend with the plus 1 year extension, which knowing this lot of Muppets they probably would

By all accounts he would lose somewhere around 8-9 mil and had been offered a pay off of about 6 mil

I have said I don't blame anyone for being selfish especially where money is concerned but as a fan I wish he would feck off

glasgow 21

Why 3x he only has 2 years left unless we choose to extend with the plus 1 year extension, which knowing this lot of Muppets they probably would

By all accounts he would lose somewhere around 8-9 mil and had been offered a pay off of about 6 mil

I have said I don't blame anyone for being selfish especially where money is concerned but as a fan I wish he would feck off
Im only going by the 7 year contract signed info online, so if its 6 plus option year even better then. That make total owed to him would be 9m so 6/7m ( depending on source) is a good compromise. I have no time for arrogant selfish people as a fan especially when he was given the honour of Captain of this club where is his dignity or is he just stupid as he decison making on the field suggests. Unfortunately i am from the "he should never have been signed, to start with" camp.

tenhagsimp

Its clear he's done at United. He's only staying here to get the money. Any player with the slightest bit of self respect would leave when he's been replaced as first choice, replaced as club captain, booed by fans on a constant basis.

What reason is there other than money for him to stay at United.
This. As much as anyone hate to admit, he deserves the boos now. He's a greedy fecker. Hope his career burns and ends. Would love to see OT's reaction. Actually seeing how he is so far up inside his ass he would be really surprised

Marcus

Honestly, I am ok with him. We just need to know how to balance our midfield if he has to play instead of fragile Varane. Even Casemiro can't single-handedly protect Varane and Martinez. So we need to be a bit more practical here anyway.

Strelok

Honestly, I am ok with him. We just need to know how to balance our midfield if he has to play instead of fragile Varane. Even Casemiro can't single-handedly protect Varane and Martinez. So we need to be a bit more practical here anyway.
I sincerely hope he'd never play for us again. I'd rather having McT playing there than this dross tbh.

204Red

This is kind of the difference between us and City, Chelsea... and its not the money, its the mentality. We don't need to save the 9M or whatever it would take to get rid of McGuire (is there anyone who really didnt think the club was going to have to eat some of Harry's contract?). Admit it was an expensive mistake and move on. He will be an albatross of a past regime hanging around ETH neck. We allowed Pogba to leave with nothing recouped, why can't we do the same with Harry... even eating the 9M, we would have made 20M getting rid of this donkey. I can't understand it in the least.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
This is kind of the difference between us and City, Chelsea... and its not the money, its the mentality. We don't need to save the 9M or whatever it would take to get rid of McGuire (is there anyone who really didnt think the club was going to have to eat some of Harry's contract?). Admit it was an expensive mistake and move on. He will be an albatross of a past regime hanging around ETH neck. We allowed Pogba to leave with nothing recouped, why can't we do the same with Harry... even eating the 9M, we would have made 20M getting rid of this donkey. I can't understand it in the least.
Who is this McGuire?

Strelok

Agree but imo it's also they have a sugar daddy we don't (yet).

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
Like a new signing.

It would be good to send a message and get Pavard anyway. Maybe after one Carabao Cup game in six months the situation would be different and you can try again in January.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Big blow. Imagine having another CB with pace to help us play a high line. Now we have Lindelof and Maguire who are average and terrible at it. Lovely stuff

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Absolutely. The club should have taken the hit and moved on. It will hamper our season - not just the presence of an unhappy ex captain who keeps getting booed by the fans but also one who can’t play well in a high line.

RedDevil@84

even eating the 9M, we would have made 20M getting rid of this donkey. I can't understand it in the least.
There was no agreeing of personal terms with West Ham. So the sale was not on. Which means we terminate his contract and give him his 190k for 2 years salary. And let him leave for free.

RedDevil@84

One question, does anybody come in for him now? As much as I hate him for us, I genuinely still think he would be a good signing at several pretty big premiership clubs, but majority of them ahve already signed centre backs and not sure the others are looking to. Is there a club people think will come in that he moves to and doesnt turn down?
If we terminate his contract and make him a free agent, then there will be some clubs interested I think. West Ham being one of them.

Marcus

The big issue with him staying is he’s going to get a lot more abuse whenever he plays. I mean fans were already booing him in pointless friendlies.
That is hid choice. Will become our equivalent of Gareth Bale. Although not as unavailable for selection.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
The big issue with him staying is he’s going to get a lot more abuse whenever he plays. I mean fans were already booing him in pointless friendlies.
Doubt anyone gives a shit about that.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
When you’re already earning millions then you’d leave for the good of your career. Another Lingard… money first rather than career. Risking his England place for the euros.
:lol:

colombianmancunian

What the heck just happened? We can’t get rid of this worthless player!

I just hope the club signs Pavard or Tolibo and further relegates Harry in the pecking order. Having him not play even in the Carabao initial rounds.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
What the heck just happened? We can’t get rid of this worthless player!

I just hope the club signs Pavard or Tolibo and further relegates Harry in the pecking order. Having him not play even in the Carabao initial rounds.
Signing another CB is probably not happening now. We needed that 30m for Maguire.

foolsgold

If we terminate his contract and make him a free agent, then there will be some clubs interested I think. West Ham being one of them.
We can’t just terminate his contract without paying him wages for the length of it. He’s legally entitled to the term he signed for till the expiration of his contract. Players can’t just be sacked. See Phil Jones as evidence.

He’s trying to maximise his earnings, a deal will be done before the end of the window I’m sure but he’s not going to leave any money on the table.

jeepers

Andy Mitten on talk of the devils said the club didn't let Maguire speak to West ham as we didn't have a replacement. It lines up exactly with the Ornstein tweet, the ETH press conference and every single bit of transfer news this summer which indicated the club were happy with Maguire staying unless it suited us to sell.

Make of that what you will.
If this is true then why even accept the West Ham bid in the first place? Fecking amateurs

stoinz

It would great if he really dig in and fight for his place as he could be a valuable asset. But from his period here he is more likely to wilt from pressure than flourish. All parties loses - him, West Ham and us.

Roboc7

Andy Mitten on talk of the devils said the club didn't let Maguire speak to West ham as we didn't have a replacement. It lines up exactly with the Ornstein tweet, the ETH press conference and every single bit of transfer news this summer which indicated the club were happy with Maguire staying unless it suited us to sell.

It just doesn’t line up with fact we negotiated with West Ham, then accepted their bid, or the transfer news that personal terms were not a problem and payoff just needed to be finalised. Or the fact that We

Does lineup with a briefing to try and gloss over a messy situation though.

justsomebloke

"And he'd be moving to London, so...." So what exactly?

Where have you seen anything suggesting he wants to leave, ever? All the noises that have ever come out are that he wants to stay, both from the press that seem to report his side and the press that report the clubs side. It's very clearly the club that want him to move on, so that they can sign another defender. That in itself is fine. But if he's essentially being pushed out of the door, to move to a club he doesn't ideally want to play for, in a part of the country he probably doesn't want to live, to earn half the money he would have been earning if he had stayed put, it is entirely reasonable that he expect to be compensated for doing so.
Oh, come on. He's entitled to stay, if he wants to. He can't actually be "forced out" - it's up to him if he wants to go. If he doesn't, then the whole discussion is moot. Everything else is a matter of negotiation, where he'd get whatever United thinks it's worth paying to make the transfer happen.

justsomebloke

Also supported by ETHs statements; that it was up to Harry if he wanted to leave or stay to fight for his place. I thought that was oddly bereft of pushing-out-the-door signalling.

justsomebloke

He's not getting a big contract again regardless. This is his last big contract. Will someone give him a moderate contract at 32? Yes. With that in mind, it doesn't make sense for him to shortchange himself by leaving money on the table. Get your owed monies now.

And yes. The only way he doesn't make it, is if a younger crop of CBs force the issue for Southgate. It's less than a year to the Euros. Southgate isn't a manager who goes for bold changes, he goes with his trusted players.
The point here is that he would certainly get a much better contract from West Ham now than he will somewhere else in two years, after three seasons on the bench at United.

Wing Attack Plan R

He isn’t being (and shouldn't be) forced to take a pay cut under any circumstances. That is a decision he has the right to make. If I were in his shoes, I would probably do the same thing if I’m thinking of securing the most amount of money for my and my family’s future. Assuming I’m not playing for my beloved team, of course. Of course. Sure, my wife and kids won’t starve without the 7 millions, but if I want only the best things money can buy for them and for myself, then it makes sense to not give up on that.

So what if Slabhead doesn’t mind soaking up all the vitriol from the fans and the press while his hands are superglued cupping his ears the whole time? What if he’s ready to warm the bench and miss out on not winning anything with England for at least the next two years or so? If he wants to handle it then there’s not much I could blame him for. Speaking of blame, I think the club should shoulder the burden of it on this one due to the ridiculous wages we’ve offered him.

I do feel for us fans though, because we (alright, mostly, you) are paying for this this man’s lavish lifestyle. It’s like getting a tv subscription because you want to watch the crême de la crême football has to offer, but also having to pay for channels you’ll watch only when high or drunk, or if reincarnated as house cat, or something. He’s basically the shopping channel among footballers. It’s unfair, but we can’t do much about it. Them Glazers are rich enough to inject those 7 millions into the club, but we know they don’t do that. Maybe we could have gotten West Ham to pay for the wall of a defender he is?

Anyway, I wonder if this will set the precedent of players who are reluctant to move asking to be paid a fee by the selling club. Slippery slope fallacy?
I think you’re skipping over the fact he would be leaving for a better job. It is not about the money. In either scenario (stay/go) he will make more in a week than most people earn in a year.

Maguire has to choose what he wants to do with his time. If he stays, he is completely wasting his time, money or not. If he loves playing, then he needs to accept the facts, take West Ham’s offer, and get the feck out.

I’d think most people would leave a toxic work environment for a better one even if it meant a pay reduction. He will still be rich. If he leaves he has the chance to revive his career, win the fans over, and play the fecking sport he allegedly loves, maybe even staying in the national team (which I don’t care about).

His contract was given with the expectation he would do a particular job, and he can’t do it anymore, maybe he never could. He was supposed to be great but instead became shit, so he should understand he’s 5th choice because he isn’t good enough, and it doesn’t matter what he was promised. Things changed. In a normal job they’d fire him, give him a severance package, and be done. He’s owed the money if he plays, but he doesn’t play because he has regressed massively and is now a liability.