Maguire | he stays!

JustCoco

Supports
Red Devils
Why should he walk away from £15M? Most people wouldn't make such a decision, nor should Maguire. This is on the club.
He's not walking away from anything - we never offered it.
He is demanding the payment. This is on him and solely him. We haven't forced him to ask us for a ridiculous payout.

JustCoco

Supports
Red Devils
Absolutely awful post.

He's an employee. You sound like a child.
The Maguire Defence Force arrived I see.

He's a fraud. You never even refuted my points, just call it childish and move on.

Would love to hear a reasonable defence of him trying to extort the club for £15million when he's ready to jump ship.

red.knight

This is going to push a lot of fans over the edge, he’s going to cop it big time now. I think it will get freaking toxic for him if he doesn't move on and he prevents us bringing in somebody else. He's already very unpopular with the fanbase, but now with this news, if he sticks around holding the club to ransom when he's been sh*t, the fans will really turn on him. Maguire has always been toxic from being given the captaincy which boosted his ego to his back-room politics in the dressing room trying to get Pickford signed. He is a selfish arrogant man. It had begun in the summer of 2020, when he’d resisted arrest on a Greek island after assaulting policemen and saying “do you know who you are talking to?? I’m captain of Man Utd etc”. It was the start of his downfall. If he doesn't leave, give him a No.4 shirt with Jones on it and say to him off to train with the u18s. He’s an 80 million pound mistake. This is a brutal reminder of how not to reward mediocrity.

Spark

The big issue with him staying is he’s going to get a lot more abuse whenever he plays. I mean fans were already booing him in pointless friendlies.
I’d be surprised if he’s booed at OT. Never seen the crowd be openly hostile to a player (or even a manager, and we’ve had some shit ones recently).

Sir Chapman

This is going to push a lot of fans over the edge, he’s going to cop it big time now. I think it will get freaking toxic for him if he doesn't move on and he prevents us bringing in somebody else. He's already very unpopular with the fanbase, but now with this news, if he sticks around holding the club to ransom when he's been sh*t, the fans will really turn on him. Maguire has always been toxic from being given the captaincy which boosted his ego to his back-room politics in the dressing room trying to get Pickford signed. He is a selfish arrogant man. It had begun in the summer of 2020, when he’d resisted arrest on a Greek island after assaulting policemen and saying “do you know who you are talking to?? I’m captain of Man Utd etc”. It was the start of his downfall. If he doesn't leave, give him a No.4 shirt with Jones on it and say to him off to train with the u18s. He’s an 80 million pound mistake. This is a brutal reminder of how not to reward mediocrity.
Actually I was surprised to see him on bench while discussions/negotiations are ongoing between the clubs. If it is 100% sure the club wants to get rid of Harry which really looks like, then I would not even place him on bench considering we have already Lindelof. Also the interview from ETH a day after the game gave an indication that he has to fight or to leave, so would not even keep him on bench. This is dragging on and I do not want to have any inconvenience within the team like some years ago with certain players as the atmosphere currently is the best since many years.

Furthermore, I think he thinks of himself more as a player than he actually is. I did not like his narcisstic approach starting with losing the first team selection last year to losing his captaincy, and putting this all on social media acting like a hurt victim. I mean, what did he expect after sitting the whole year on the bench? It is a normal way of handling things, if you do not play, you lose your captaincy and if you do not keep up with the team and are not ready for internal fight to get a starting place, then you should move to a mediocre team. Simple as that. If he stays - because of money obviously and just because of that - and we may not get a replacement and still pay 200k for someone just on the bench, then it will be interesting to see the fans reaction.

Last edited:

red.knight

Actually I was surprised to see him on bench while discussions/negotiations are ongoing between the clubs. If it is 100% sure the club wants to get rid of Harry which really looks like, then I would not even place him on bench considering we have already Lindelof. Also the interview from ETH a day after the game gave an indication that he has to fight or to leave, so would not even keep him on bench. This is dragging on and I do not want to have any inconvenience within the team like some years ago with certain players as the atmosphere currently is the best since many years.

Furthermore, I think he thinks of himself more as a player than he actually is. I did not like his narcisstic approach starting with losing the first team selection last year to losing his captaincy, and putting this all on social media acting like a hurt victim. I mean, what did he expect after sitting the whole year on the bench? It is a normal way of handling things, if you do not play, you lose your captaincy and if you do not keep up with the team and are not ready for internal fight to get a starting place, then you should move to a mediocre team. Simple as that. If he stays - because of money obviously and just because of that - and we may not get a replacement and still pay 200k for someoneon just on the bench, then it will be interesting to see the fans reaction.
Monday night Maguire looked like he was causing issues in the squad. I’m not a lip reader but when he came out for half time, it looked like he was saying “he could have brought me on for the final time, with all the games I’ve played”. Then when talking to Martinez, it looked like Maguire was told not to speak badly about the manager. Anyone got a clip of this?

arthurka

Maybe Woodward can come and fix his feck up. Harry will have a hard couple of years staying.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.

FFS We are garbage .

Disgrace send him to the U21 .
Turns out Maguire is even slower coming to a career decision than he is at turning and getting the right side of an attacker: quite some feat!

OrcaFat

Hard to believe, yes, but it really looks like the club didn’t feel they could get anyone better with the budget available.

It would be an incredible turnaround if he could outcompete Varane for RCB and I don’t expect that to happen but he could recover his form to the point where he does a good job when called on.

It’s not satisfactory imo. EtH has said he wants competition for every position and Maguire is a long way off challenging Varane. This is also the nub of the issue because, to get someone who can put pressure on Varane, we’d need to buy a very good player and the cost would be prohibitive in this window.

CantonaManc

See where they play, how they play, if they play..
Supports
ETH's tricky reds
He’s staying for the cash. he knows he’ll get picked for England no matter what. A fecking left back gets picked at cb before you, how would he not get the message.

He will deserve the boos he gets next time he makes a mistake. Fans clearly want him out and he's clearly deluded because he thinks he belongs at this level. We've got about 4 better CBs. He prefers to stay, get paid handsomely and ride the bench.

Could have had £60m for McTom and Maguire. Instead we’re keeping both and their value next season will be half this after a season on the bench. We done the same with Lingard .

Hopefully we can move onto prioritising the midfield signing.

Andersonson

Monday night Maguire looked like he was causing issues in the squad. I’m not a lip reader but when he came out for half time, it looked like he was saying “he could have brought me on for the final time, with all the games I’ve played”. Then when talking to Martinez, it looked like Maguire was told not to speak badly about the manager. Anyone got a clip of this?
The feck are you on about

GBBQ

He’s staying for the cash. he knows he’ll get picked for England no matter what. A fecking left back gets picked at cb before you, how would he not get the message.

He will deserve the boos he gets next time he makes a mistake. Fans clearly want him out and he's clearly deluded because he thinks he belongs at this level. We've got about 4 better CBs. He prefers to stay, get paid handsomely and ride the bench.

Could have had £60m for McTom and Maguire. Instead we’re keeping both and their value next season will be half this after a season on the bench. We done the same with Lingard .

Hopefully we can move onto prioritising the midfield signing.
I think we’re damned if we do and damned if we don’t. If we hold out for a decent price and they don’t move then we’re bad at selling. If we sell them for peanuts we’re bad at selling.

Look at Spurs. Hard nosed and stick to their guns. What we’re asking for Maguire and McT is fair, especially after what we paid for Mount. They’re internationals with a few years in them yet. They’ll both benefit from regular game time / being out of the media glare a little.

justsomebloke

He has every right to demand his money. I would do the same.
Only by refusing a transfer and staying. Which, unless he improves to the point of regaining his starters place in the team, will be bad for the club and bad for his career. And there the matter stands, as far as I can see.

Bottom line should be, the notion that he'll regain his place looks like a fairytale. How would that happen? He suddenly gets quick? He inexplicably discovers a previously unsuspected knack for making a crisp, quick and precise forward pass? He's got a secret space in his mind that he can tap into to override the constant, massive feedback from a press and public who overwhelmingly concluded some time ago that he's the walking, talking embodiment of United's limitations in recent years, someone who wasn't so much a building block for a winner as someone who defined the ceiling for an also-ran? Never mind getting back to his previous best levels of performance under Ole, the team is now playing a style that suits him much less well. He'd have to come up with something different and better than previous highs. It's just bleeding obvious that his staying is the wrong decision, for everyone. Hence that outcome reflects badly both on him and on the club.

To my mind, it's much the same with McTominay, but that's on the club who defined him as an important player we'll only sell if we get a really good offer, and put his valuation well above his real worth. As with Maguire, I don't see how anyone could expect United to become a true contender with him in a more than completely marginal role. It's just fundamentally the wrong decision.

Last edited:

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
The fact that we've somehow not managed to sell Henderson or Maguire when neither are in the manager's plans and both had suitors shows this club is still not being run particularly well.

Judas

Open to offers
Please for your own health, go outside.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He has every right to demand his money. I would do the same.
What money? If you want to leave you can’t demand your future payments.
If he wants “his money” he has to stay at the club

edgecutter

The fact that we've somehow not managed to sell Henderson or Maguire when neither are in the manager's plans and both had suitors shows this club is still not being run particularly well.
The problem is the wages we pay. Who, other than elite clubs, can pay Harry Maguire 200k a week? It was madness even giving him that.

Fecking Anthony ten timed his wages coming from Ajax to us. It's mental how we do business and negotiate contracts.

OmarUnited4ever

I do not think he will stay, he'll definitely go, that is if he has any hopes of being with England in Euro2024, a lot of good CBs will be emerging and probably excelling that will force Southgate not to select Maguire if he is not starting/playing regularly.

The club will eventually bite the bullet and pay him his 7m to go, which is ok since we are getting a fee of 30M., we can then go and get a replacement.

Dr. StrangeHate

Seek help, Sir.

Lastwolf

Why should he walk away from £15M? Most people wouldn't make such a decision, nor should Maguire. This is on the club.
He wouldn't be, it's not as if he'd be playing for free.

West Ham pay Kurt Zouma a reported 125k a week, assuming they would pay a similar amount, he's at most walking away from ~6.7mil, I can't see a way we are activating his +1 at this stage, and there clearly isn't any club will to offer him 190k a week anywhere else.

Revan

Assumptionman
What? Put a gun to his head? Threaten his wife and children?
Tell him that he won't play a single minute, and won't be registered for EPL and UCL. Get his number and give him number 86. Put him in the reserves.

Plenty of incentives, in addition to a few millions which we are willing to give to him.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Heaton is injured, we don't have another senior GK available, hence Henderson still knocking around.

As for Maguire, we don't have a need to sell him really, yeah we need a midfielder and a sale is probably needed to buy, but that's not on Maguire especially if he's happy to fight for game time, we have other players that should be sold that are offering less than Maguire.

justsomebloke

Tell him that he won't play a single minute, and won't be registered for EPL and UCL. Get his number and give him number 86. Put him in the reserves.

Plenty of incentives, in addition to a few millions which we are willing to give to him.
Yeah well the thing is they don't seem to want him to leave that much. If club and manager statements are to be believed, they're fine with having him stay and fight for his place. Even if they don't really mean that, the fact they're saying it means that they're being careful to ensure they can continue to make use of him if he ends up staying. So I don't think anything like that is going to happen.

justsomebloke

Heaton is injured, we don't have another senior GK available, hence Henderson still knocking around.

As for Maguire, we don't have a need to sell him really, yeah we need a midfielder and a sale is probably needed to buy, but that's not on Maguire especially if he's happy to fight for game time, we have other players that should be sold that are offering less than Maguire.
Yes, but why is he though? It's not like it's a doable scenario to have him as a backup - he's made it very clear he's not up for that, and is on record making astoundingly disloyal and disruptive public statements about that. If we can't rely on Heaton, we need another keeper. If we can't afford one, then we must loan one, like we did last year. So I just find that reasoning from the club very weird.

reelworld

yeah, with the reports that's out there, I'm not really sure about this regarding Maguire.
I mean, if Ten Hag wants a player out then he's out whatever it takes. Look at Ronaldo. Practically idolized by a large amount of our current players, and he booted him out.
The way I understand it, it's really a cost benefit issue. He can't find a player who can reasonably challenged Varane with the money got from Maguire sale. With that, Ten Hag statement made sense.
"I can use you if you want to stay as backup and fight for your place"
The drawback is that nobody but Ten Hag and Maguire are confident that Maguire can reclaim some confidence and form in this situation.

Bondi77

What money? If you want to leave you can’t demand your future payments.
If he wants “his money” he has to stay at the club
Who said he wants to leave?
If the club want to sell him and he does not want to go and see out his contract he is perfectly within his rights to do so.
Some seem to struggle on here with the meaning of what a contract is.

SteveCoppellFan

Maguire must have really thick skin.

I can only imagine the kind of abuse he will get when warming up or coming on as a sub.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"

He's a fraud. You never even refuted my points, just call it childish and move on.

Would love to hear a reasonable defence of him trying to extort the club for £15million when he's ready to jump ship.
United gave him the contract, it's United's fault, Maguire does nothing wrong by respecting the contract he was given.
Do i want him gone? Yes, but no reason to personally attack him for what he does. If he thinks he can get his spot back, sure it's his life and his decisions, even if he gets it wrong and don't play much.

Some of the comments in here are horrible, and written by people who don't understand how life is for grown ups.

Edit: It has nothing to do with "Maguire defence force", i don't think he has many fans on here at all.

Pronewbie

Peep

It's the opportunity cost isn't it. Maguire leaving means we can roll the dice on a defender who suits our playstyle better. Which other players are you referring to that could fetch 30M+? Only McT but the manager actually wants him to stay and he's a homegrown player.

Duafc

Village Lemon

I have no desire to defend him, I've wanted him away from the club for years.

I can want that without descending into the most juvenile expressions of fiction and personal attacks against him though.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
I've been a critic from Maguire from day one and even during his supposed purple patch I thought he was still nowhere near good enough. But if he isn't leaving because of the cash then fair play to him. We were stupid enough to buy him and stupid enough to give him a wage well above his ability.

What would be more depressing would be if he was still going to be captain and starting for us.

Saying that, could still be some later window drama and he goes.

aeh1991

Could have sold Maguire and McT for 53m. Now we're stuck with both and they will likely lose value drastically next transfer window. Also can't do further transfers properly.