g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Maguire | he stays!

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Tell him that he won't play a single minute, and won't be registered for EPL and UCL. Get his number and give him number 86. Put him in the reserves.

Plenty of incentives, in addition to a few millions which we are willing to give to him.
The best disincentive then would be to have him the in squad travelling; all dressed up but never selecting him to start or to come on as a sub.

Pronewbie

Peep
I completely understand if football fans find it hard to empathise with a "disliked employee" who plays football for a living and earns more than most senior executives, let alone his peers of a similar standard.

For me the financial calculation isn't as straightforward for Maguire if we leave him to rot in the reserves. In 2 years he'll be lucky to receive a 50K/yr contract. Which seems to be what the club is negotiating on with the partial pay-off which I find perfectly reasonable.

dubplate warrior

Guess the question is, will he actually get booed by our fans? I wouldn't be surprised if you hear him get ironic cheers from the oppositions supporters.

sglowrider

If it's money that he is looking for to compensate for the United rejection, not sure why his agent doesn't look for a club in the Saudi League.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Tell him that he won't play a single minute, and won't be registered for EPL and UCL. Get his number and give him number 86. Put him in the reserves.

Plenty of incentives, in addition to a few millions which we are willing to give to him.
Since Fergie left; did we ever "pushed" player out? We only sell players who want to go. And then we fans are shocked by the fact that our mentality is fragile and weak.
We still have too many players with zero ambition who are just happy to be here.

Plastic Evra

If it's money that he is looking for to compensate for the United rejection, not sure why his agent doesn't look for a club in the Saudi League.
Who says he hasn't ?
I doubt so, Maguire seems well settled in the Manchester area that I know of (not a lot) and maybe he's living the good life apart from a slightly unsatisfying job (?) and people grinding teeth on the Internet.

But we don't really know what he (or his agent) has been thinking and doing, seems a little specious to bring it in the conversation.

Superunknown

Could have sold Maguire and McT for 53m. Now we're stuck with both and they will likely lose value drastically next transfer window. Also can't do further transfers properly.
Imo, this transfer window will be known for this rather than the signings we do make.

midou

Could have sold Maguire and McT for 53m. Now we're stuck with both and they will likely lose value drastically next transfer window. Also can't do further transfers properly.
Absolutely, we could have had:
+ Amrabat and Pavard/Todibo
- Maguire and McTominay
For 5-10m net spend.

Devil You Know

The Saudis want to burnish their reputation and market themselves as a viable top league in the world game.

Buying a meme doesn't further that cause, unfortunately.

Maguire could better than 95% of the other defenders in league. If he's not somebody the Saudis can put on a poster to advertise the competition to casual viewers, he won't be worth the spend.

sglowrider

The Saudis want to burnish their reputation and market themselves as top league in the world game.

Buying a meme doesn't further that cause, unfortunately.

Maguire could better than 95% of the other defenders in league. If he's not somebody the Saudis can put on a poster to advertise the competition to casual viewers, he won't be worth the spend.
True but he still can position himself as the ''former captain of the world famous Manchester United" as part of his personal brand.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
It's the opportunity cost isn't it. Maguire leaving means we can roll the dice on a defender who suits our playstyle better. Which other players are you referring to that could fetch 30M+? Only McT but the manager actually wants him to stay and he's a homegrown player.
Donny, Hannibal and Bailly combined should reach £30m at least.

It's about who would want them though I guess.

Devil You Know

True but he still can position himself as the ''former captain of the world famous Manchester United" as part of his personal brand.
Look at the post directly above yours. His image is used as a punchline by default. It's a phenomenon that's too entrenched for any subheading to erase.

You also couldn't put a picture of Mr Bean on a poster saying "Oxford graduate" and expect people to link Rowan Atkinson to anything other the character we've all been trained to laugh at by the media.

theballisround

Lessons to be learned by the club from this, recruit what we need (and Maguire obviously we didn't need long term) and stop paying big salaries to useless trash.

Superunknown

Look at the post directly above yours. His image is used as a punchline by default. It's a phenomenon that's too entrenched for any subheading to erase.

You also couldn't put a picture of Mr Bean on a poster saying "Oxford graduate" and expect people to link Rowan Atkinson to anything other the character we've all been trained to laugh at by the media.
Completely agree. He's our new Phil Jones - a complete meme. He's a person that now exists for others to just to take the utter piss out of.

El Presidente

Donny, Hannibal and Bailly combined should reach £30m at least.

It's about who would want them though I guess.
They’d genuinely struggle to reach half of that amount. Bailly is literally a free transfer.

M16Red

I'm not surprised, I think the cup final stood out to me.

Came on at 88th minute;
Took the armband off Bruno;
First up the stairs;

Zero class.

JustCoco

Supports
Red Devils
United gave him the contract, it's United's fault, Maguire does nothing wrong by respecting the contract he was given.
Do i want him gone? Yes, but no reason to personally attack him for what he does. If he thinks he can get his spot back, sure it's his life and his decisions, even if he gets it wrong and don't play much.

Some of the comments in here are horrible, and written by people who don't understand how life is for grown ups.

Edit: It has nothing to do with "Maguire defence force", i don't think he has many fans on here at all.
He was being transferred, when do players get paid to transfer teams - never.
If this was us terminating the contract so he's a free agent, then a payoff would make sense.

This is money he's asking for because he'd be getting paid less at another club. That's not our problem.

I have no desire to defend him, I've wanted him away from the club for years.

I can want that without descending into the most juvenile expressions of fiction and personal attacks against him though.
Pointing out that he's lied about his intentions and desires, isn't an "expression of fiction." It's literal fact. He's aware he won't play, knows without games he won't get picked for England. These are things he's spoken about wanting to do.
He's also been vocal in wanting to stay, being captain of Manchester United is a privilege yada yada yada - yet is trying to milk the club to leave, when he knows he's not good enough.
Actions say otherwise.

Alright, I called him a scab, I suppose a leech would have been more accurate and pleased you more.

Last edited:

Blood Mage

Feels like there's a growing sense of negativity building up around the club again. Not doing what we need to do in the transfer market, poor start to the season, players at the club who we can't shift and are bringing down the mood in the dressing room. Wouldn't be shocked if the wheels came off again but hey if it's what's needed to get rid of the Glazers...

Highfather_24

Absolutely, we could have had:
+ Amrabat and Pavard/Todibo
- Maguire and McTominay
For 5-10m net spend.
This is what really pisses me off about our transfer strategy this season.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
This is money he's asking for because he'd be getting paid less at another club. That's not our problem.
It's a problem we caused by offering him such a stupid contract. It is a lot of money to give up.
I personally would want to play games, atleast at that age when you risk losing your spot for England aswell, but i can definitely understand that some chose money - just look at the Saudi Arabia mercenaries.
Either way, people shouldn't abuse or harass anyone, even if we don't like or agree with his decision.
We can only hope United learn their lesson and stop giving ridiculous contracts.

Keanes Magic Hat

Feels like there's a growing sense of negativity building up around the club again. Not doing what we need to do in the transfer market, poor start to the season, players at the club who we can't shift and are bringing down the mood in the dressing room. Wouldn't be shocked if the wheels came off again but hey if it's what's needed to get rid of the Glazers...
I think the negativity is largely just here not with the team, there is absolutely no evidence the likes of Maguire is bringing down the mood in the dressing room.

As underwhelming a performance against wolves as it was, I'm struggling with one win out of one being a poor start.

JustCoco

Supports
Red Devils
It's a problem we caused by offering him such a stupid contract. It is a lot of money to give up.
I personally would want to play games, atleast at that age when you risk losing your spot for England aswell, but i can definitely understand that some chose money - just look at the Saudi Arabia mercenaries.
Either way, people shouldn't abuse or harass anyone, even if we don't like or agree with his decision.
We can only hope United learn their lesson and stop giving ridiculous contracts.
Yes we offered him inflated wages, as a professional footballer he knows the lay of the land. You don't perform, you get sold. With that comes the high chance your wages take a hit.

His performances are why we want rid, he should - if he has any pride - accept that he's at fault, suck it up, move and intend show that we were wrong.

Instead he's spitting his dummy out as if we're to blame he'll get a paycut.
Wouldn't be a conversation if he wasn't so bad.

Paddymcc

Lessons to be learned by the club from this, recruit what we need (and Maguire obviously we didn't need long term) and stop paying big salaries to useless trash.
The club will never learn.

While im not syaing hes trash, see Mason Mount's 250k / week contract as a prime example of this. Decent young player on mental wages and should be not make the cut here will be a nightmare to move on, however he will replace Bruno long term.

Gordon Godot

Yes we offered him inflated wages, as a professional footballer he knows the lay of the land. You don't perform, you get sold. With that comes the high chance your wages take a hit.

His performances are why we want rid, he should - if he has any pride - accept that he's at fault, suck it up, move and intend show that we were wrong.

Instead he's spitting his dummy out as if we're to blame he'll get a paycut.
Wouldn't be a conversation if he wasn't so bad.
Its shocking he's sticking around the money. He wont stay in England team if he doesnt play. And he is nowhere near good enough for Utd and simply cannot play the sort of football ETH wants. WH woud have suited him. Its depressing that we are still not ruthless. He should not have been on bench on MOnday and should be banished to reserves.

jadaba

Issam Chawali, the Arab world's most famous commentator, has made volumes of comments ridiculing Maguire. His reputation can't recover from that even there.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud

Totally agree. Send him down to the reserves.

tomaldinho1

I feel like it's more driven by Chelsea's spending + a bad first game. People need to calm down, if we don't sell Maguire it's not the end of the world, if we don't get Amrabat, it's not the end of the world. ETH was never going to win the league this year but we should expect progress in how we play and we can't judge that after 1 game. If he's not the right guy, he's not the right guy. Let's see how he does with this team.

The reason people should enjoy sport is because it is competitive and you learn to deal with winning and losing, sadly the PL is no longer competitive because the league let a country own a club but outside of City it looks to be a really interesting and hopefully enjoyable season. Given the CL extra place it's basically a top 4 race still.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Is this done? A lot people celebrating, from what I can see a bid has been accepted and that's all.

Don't be surprised if he turns this move down and stays.
Predictable Maguire move.

sglowrider

Issam Chawali, the Arab world's most famous commentator, has made volumes of comments ridiculing Maguire. His reputation can't recover from that even there.
Harry should sue Issam for slander in the amount of between 7-15 million.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He was being transferred, when do players get paid to transfer teams - never.
If this was us terminating the contract so he's a free agent, then a payoff would make sense.

It is our problem if we actively want to sell him.

If a club wants to sell but the player wants to stay, the club should be paying out the difference in wages (at least; technically the player is within their rights to get their entire wage owed, not just the difference).
If a player wants to be sold but the club wants him to stay, there should be no wage paid.
If both the player and the club want the sale, I would say something like a 50% pay off is fair. Of course both sides will pretend the other is the one pushing the sale so they can get more money for themselves, but ultimately they should settle in the middle somewhere.

I would say in this scenario it's almost certainly the third scenario. If Maguire is on £190k a week and West Ham are offering £120k, that works out to just under £7.3m difference over the two seasons so it'd be fine to be paying Maguire around the £3-4m mark. If he's demanding more than that he's being ridiculous, if we're refusing to pay him at all we're being pricks. Media reports does seem to say it's the former, but there's nothing wrong with paying him 'some'.

sglowrider

Do you mean we need to hire Nostradamus? One is three transfers will fail. That's a fact.

Lessons learnt is that before we want to sell the player, we need to do an entire PR campaign around them... build their personal brand up. And this way the Saudis will want to buy them/brand to enhance the league.