Maguire | he stays!

daba

My preference is certainly for Maguire to leave if we can get a good fee for him this summer. A loan makes zero sense to me though, unless there is an obligation to buy for a decent fee at the end of it.

If somehow Harry sticks around I don’t see it as the end of the world though. As we saw this season - Martinez, Varane, Lindelof, Maguire and Shaw is still a great group of CBs to cement top 4, challenge for domestic trophies and do well in Europe.

Either way, whether it is this summer or next, I hope we buy another cream of the crop CB to succeed Varane long-term.

Scalvini, Antonio Silva and De Ligt would be my top 3.

Alemar

It would be excellent to sell him to Chelsea. Good fee plus we would weaken Chelsea as well

Mainoldo

Perfect defender for Chelsea. They actually need him too. I still think Pochettino’s best bet for success next season is 3 at the back.

Dread Devil

A loan would be of no interest to us or Maguire…he will want a permanent move and deserves one.

It hasn’t worked out at United but he is a good defender in the right system and could serve West Ham, Spurs, Chelsea or Wolves etc well…

I hope he gets his move for all concerned…

Abraxas

The loan wouldn't be so bad if our FFP position wasn't so appalling. Ordinarily I'd say a loan is preferable to keeping him, for the reasons that he wouldn't be especially happy here and also that he's pretty useless for our style, even as backup. There is no game you really want to be turning to Maguire. Can he do a job occasionally? Yes, but there are probably dozens of CBs out there that would be better. So really he's just a considerable weekly drain on resources while he's here.

However, the real problem with the loan is the finances are so tight and it would do very little to address the fact we'd want to pursue an alternative CB. So I don't really see how it's workable in view of the other things we would like to address in the market that are probably more of a priority.

Irwin99

So according to rumours we've used our transfer money and now have to rely on sales to generate another 50-60 million for a striker?

If we could get 40 mil for Maguire we'd be lucky. Mctominay should also be worth 20+

Robindinho

So according to rumours we've used our transfer money and now have to rely on sales to generate another 50-60 million for a striker?

If we could get 40 mil for Maguire we'd be lucky. Mctominay should also be worth 20+
With his wages, I'd guess around £30m.

Assuming it's true and we do have to balance/sell to buy, should be quite easy (even with our past negotiation standards)...

Take those two, then add the likes of Henderson, Telles, Bailly, Elanga, Fred.

= Striker + a Casemiro backup.

Bogga

If he was shocked at being stripped he must be so oblivious to everything around him... he's fifth choice and even our regular LB is ahead of him in the pecking order.
Angry? If he's angry it's at himself I hope, for being so crap... if I was playing crap all the time and found myself down the pecking order I'd be angry with myself, not at the boss for playing others ahead of me

Wake up and smell the coffee 'Arry

Adamsk7

He cannot stay now. Sulking on Twitter means he’ll be sulking all season. We don’t need the disruption as much as we don’t need his “skills”
It’d such a weird statement to release. Any other club and the manager would just say in the first presser “Bruno is going to be my captain this season as he will play all the games”

Also if the reports of him being shocked and angry are true, how f’in dense is he? Jesus

I don’t think I’ve ever disliked a Utd player as much as him.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Had a whole year to realise he's not first choice, very far down the pecking order and obviously wouldn't be captain with us clearly wanting him to leave. Still doesn't get it.

Has a massive head but clearly filled with cobwebs and dust instead of a brain.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

To be honest, there should be plenty of funds generated from sales......Maguire, Fred, McTominay, Henderson, Elanga, Donny, Telles, Bailly, Williams take your pick, the list goes on.
Problem is, are we as a club able to make these sales?
If our purchases look bad over the past decade, then sales is equally as poor, perhaps even worse.

Oranges038

To be honest, there should be plenty of funds generated from sales......Maguire, Fred, McTominay, Henderson, Elanga, Donny, Telles, Bailly, Williams take your pick, the list goes on.
Problem is, are we as a club able to make these sales?
If our purchases look bad over the past decade, then sales is equally as poor, perhaps even worse.
Probably not, but we all know the reason these clowns can't be sold is because the previous circus master gave them big fat contracts. Thye are on money, nobody else is going to give them, they won't even get close to it.

The only route out for a lot of these players is to do what Arsenal have done and just pay them off to leave.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Well I don’t think we’re that far apart in our opinions and I think that you’re generally right in the context of today (not that what I think really matters of course ;-))
But I again make the point that he wasn’t generally considered to be a bad buy at the point of purchase and he’s still the same player with the same skills that he had on the day he was persuaded to sign his very generous contract.
Maybe the price paid was considered as up to £20m OTT but the purchase was, at that time, seen very much as case of Utd being practical in getting in a defender that was homegrown and widely regarded as a solid international standard centre back. A defender that a number of highly regarded clubs were showing a keen interest in.

I respect your view, I think it’s well thought out but very much coloured by seeing him struggle endlessly in a system that he’s really not designed for. IMO if you put him in a side that gets it’s points by pulling better teams down to their level then he’d come into his own again.
Yes there are many defenders much better suited to the systems of play employed in the upper echelons of the modern game but I contend that if you wanted a hulking great lump to stick into a deep defence to make life miserable for more skilful but less physical opposition players then it would still be worth looking at Harry.

And my view isn’t skewed by some loyalty to Maguire or what have you, I don’t particularly like him as a character, I just come on here to chew the fat but I thought I should shove my oar into these choppy waters because the revisionism in here is excessive . . The poor bloke gets castigated for not having the skills that he never had and wasn’t bought for. He’s not gone backwards, it may look like that at a glance but the truth is that the game’s gone forward.

However, the old game still exists in some clubs in the lower half of the Premier League and what they do is crude but effective.

As an example of how both modern and (ahem) more traditional football abilities can exist in close proximity, look at how Sam Allardyce manages his sides. He’s not a modern manager, there are probably hundreds of more modern managers than Fat Sam. He’s an old school spoiler but he still has a valuable place in the game
Look at the way his teams play. Is it beautiful fluid modern football? No.
Is it crude but effective football that keeps teams in the Premier League and makes many £millions for the owners of those clubs? Yes.
Would Harry be an asset to Fat Sam or a similar pragmatic manager skilled in the dark arts and could he help an otherwise struggling side avoid relegation and save them an absolute bundle? IMO Oh yes ;-)
On this basis I think that the only thing stopping a lower PL side from coughing up £30m+ is the huge salary that he’s on. That’s why I think the most likely outcome will be a loan with his wages subsidised by his parent club.

Oh, and I think that he’ll look a much better player when he’s allowed to play his kind of game again too.

PS. I’m a newby and my post count is done for the day so I’m off, but I’ve really enjoyed our little discussion. You’ve made me think through and clarify some long held opinions . . and, as I said earlier, I’m only a guesser and on here to chew the fat with good folk like yourself.
See, I agree with you that Maguire could play a good role at a negative team but I consider the price tag for too high for such a player. €50m buys you a top CB who is better than Maguire in every aspect - not only the modern skills but also the traditional ones. Now the question is whether a top CB would go to a lower table EPL side but they could probably still get a player like Maguire for half the price and a fraction of the salary from some negative team in a decent league. Another example from my club would be Jonathan Tah - good age, good in the traditional CB skills, was a bit of error prone in the past, okayish build up play - who had a release claude of €18m until this week. Personally, I wouldn't swap Maguire for him. And all that is still ignoring the negative PR that signing Maguire would bring to your club - especially for around €50m.

And thanks by the way, think it's a very sophisticated discussion as well :) hope you'll get promoted quickly.

Laurencio

Has there ever been a player fans have wanted to sell more than Maguire? Surely he would want to leave to rebuild his reputation?

Ish

Lights on for Luke

Ideally Maguire, Fred, Henderson, Elanga & McT who can all fetch "decent" enough fees to get a CF and possible another body in midfield. I don't think Bailly, Telles, Williams will fetch much, if anything. Ditto Martial, who is on high wages and too injury prone for anyone willing to invest.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

I think we still have some cash left, but Hojlunds fee is just too unreasonabe.

In any case we have a lot of salable assets with confirmed interest. Fred, Henderson both have confirmed suitors as well as Maguire and McT. Anything from Baily and Telles is a bonus.

Cloud7

Has there ever been a player fans have wanted to sell more than Maguire? Surely he would want to leave to rebuild his reputation?
Lukaku. Could not stand him. His interviews and sound bites in the media while he was here were far more annoying than anything Maguire has ever come out with.

doomy20

As many said, I think a fresh start at a mid table team/EL contender would do wonders to him. For the sake of all involved, try to sell him for 30.

daba

Are any of the journalists talking about outside interest in him credible? Or just talking crap for clicks?

Doracle

As many said, I think a fresh start at a mid table team/EL contender would do wonders to him. For the sake of all involved, try to sell him for 30.
I think he is worth £30m but we really should be looking to accept £20m given his wages. It then starts to look the type of fee a mid-table club can see as a bargain and give him wages closer to his current level.

Realistically, I think a loan is more likely though given I suspect the wages will prove a big problem in terms of arranging a permanent move and it will at least put him in the shop window.

Kag

He cannot stay now. Sulking on Twitter means he’ll be sulking all season. We don’t need the disruption as much as we don’t need his “skills”
It’d such a weird statement to release. Any other club and the manager would just say in the first presser “Bruno is going to be my captain this season as he will play all the games”

Also if the reports of him being shocked and angry are true, how f’in dense is he? Jesus

I don’t think I’ve ever disliked a Utd player as much as him.
This probably explains why you’re pretending he is ‘sulking’ on Twitter.

The statement was professional, and nips the sort of shite Charlie Wyett is attempting to pedal in today’s Sun in the bud.

Your ‘any other club’ line is also complete nonsense. See Villa/Mings last year.

Kag

Back on planet Earth, a loan would be madness.

If West Ham want him then they can bloody well pay for him.

saivet

Are any of the journalists talking about outside interest in him credible? Or just talking crap for clicks?
The BBC have reported that West Ham are interested in Maguire, so definitely credible interest there.

Other than that no solid links with anyone else but I think we might get a few other teams interested as it becomes clearer that he will leave.

Vidooq

Because you assume he can't adapt because you've only ever seen him play in one type of scenario, I've been watching football a very long time and I've seen how far worse players than Maguire have adapted to a different way of playing, is he capable of doing so, I've no idea but I don't discount the possibility that he could
I truly wish that you are right, but the evidence we've seen from him points to the contrary. With a higher line, he will be exposed to his:
  • Positioning
  • Speed
When playing from the back, he can not play under pressure, not even simple passes. He takes too much time on the ball, can't make a simple pass, and if pressed, he will lose the ball in the worst possible place. It's no wonder Ten Hag plays everyone in front of him, he simply does not trust him with this.

He is suited in a system where he would not be the organizer, not starting attacks from the back, with 3 at the back, and a no-nonsense approach. If he stays, I expect him to play when we will face FA, Carling opponents from lower leagues, plus he will get 10-15 minutes when we need to defend against teams that have a height advantage.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Makes absolutely no sense for us to loan him out.
Only if there is a compulsory buy option but even then it’s not good for us because we need cash. Not sure whether a mandatory buy option can be booked immediately for financial purposes.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
WHU can do one with their loan attempt. Clubs absolutely try and mug us off. It really was "Disneyland" with Woodward in charge....just not in the way he intended it to be. Clown.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
This only really works if all clubs interested delay making offers, or if there was only one interested club, which doesn’t appear to be the case.

Buying clubs will need to plan their squad for the season and cannot delay too long otherwise they miss out and end up panic buying dross.

I expect an offer by one of the interested clubs by the end of the week.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Makes absolutely no sense for us to loan him out.
Makes even less sense for Maguire to drop down in wages or West Ham to pay similar wages to what we do. I can’t see any other realistic way of him exiting for next season than a loan.

mav_9me

I think we'll sell him for 30m£.

After all sales, I think we'll get Hojlund and Amrabat.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
WHU can do one with their loan attempt. Clubs absolutely try and mug us off. It really was "Disneyland" with Woodward in charge....just not in the way he intended it to be. Clown.
I can't imagine what planet they're on to think we'd accept that.

Unless it came with a guarenteed £40m next summer or something.