Maguire | he stays!

Fridge chutney

Associated in a bad way though.

I’m not sure about that and that would be 1 year at best. Who is going to pay him a big salary with the sense he would not give his best and he can essentially sit on his arse to pick up the payckeck..
He is at his lowest ebb and already a meme, yet West Ham just offered £30M and 100k/week for him. It would be naive to think there won't be a host of suitors for him in 2-3 years time.

So why should he leave £7M on the table? I'd argue he is making the smart decision.

Mercurial

It's like a new signing for us. Perhaps he can have his second renaissance with us.

Revan

Assumptionman
Yep. No transfer fee. It's good leverage.
Not many 32 years old players get a good sign in bonus. Especially if they were backup players (at best) for the last 3 years.

De Gea, who had a far higher reputation than Maguire, is struggling to find a club. And he was a starter until 2 months ago.

glasgow 21

But if he is so shit, then b) isn't likely either. Regardless, he is at his lowest ebb right now and West Ham are STILL willing to pay £30M and 100k/week for him, so it is unlikely there won't be a host of suitors for him in 2-3 years time.

All this goes to show that Maguire is well within his right to demand what is owed to him contractually.

He is also being smart game theoretically, so fair play to him.
He is deadwood and has to go plain and simple. If arnold and murtiugh can't do the deal get someone in who can

DavelinaJolie

According to the press it can be revived but for now they are looking elsewhere because Maguire is deadlocked with United over compensation. Sounds exactly like a briefing to get it moving in all honesty, reach a compromise asap or we sign someone else, pretty clear message to the club and Maguire.
We'll see I guess. I'm still not going to get my hopes up it could actually happen.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Not many 32 years old players get a good sign in bonus. Especially if they were backup players (at best) for the last 3 years.

De Gea, who had a far higher reputation than Maguire, is struggling to find a club. And he was a starter until 2 months ago.

Maybe. But he has a good chance with no fee. Still doesn't mean he should lose money on reduced wages. He could earn as much on our bench as he might at West Ham and his next contract combined. Maybe he doesn't love football that much and it doesn't bother him. Nobody has actually done anything wrong here apart from the clowns who signed him.

m1tch

Strange that he thinks taking this stance will work out for him, after watching what happened with Lingard. He's in a very similar position. We shouldn't allow him any loan moves and decide our sale price for each window, and if he can't agree a move then he can wait to see what he can agree in 2 years time. He should definitely ask Lingard how things are going, as Harry will hopefully not benefit from a 6 month shop window loan that landed Lingard his 1 year deal at Forest.

Plastic Evra

Lingard maybe not the best comparison as he could have signed a much longer and secure contract with WH instead on gambling on himself.

quadrant

If we don't sell him we have an FFP hit of 24.5m per year for the next two years.
13.3m transfer fee amortisation and 11.2m wages (190k per week plus employers' NIC).

If we sell him for a net £23m we have an FFP hit of 3.6m. So we are definitely much better off selling him from an FFP point of view. 45m+ over two years.

Of course we would then have the cost of replacing him...
Next year's figures have little to no bearing on our spending this summer. If FFP is an issue - and we're led to believe it is - then all that matters is that discharging the book value for Harry Maguire right now would mean taking a £26M hit. So that is the figure we have to recoup now to avoid reducing our budget.

It might well be beneficial long term to take a hit now and get more headroom down the line, but that's not what the other poster was getting at. They were talking about the need to buy this summer.

I suspect the nominal transfer fee is not affected by the discussed potential compensation and it's maybe accounted in different lines or columns. Which is why United didn't bite at 20 (despite West Ham then being able to pay a bigger upfront bonus) but is OK with 30m£ because on the books remaining amortisation is paid for. In reality the actual final balance is lesser but that comes from another pot whichight fly for FFP.

I'll let someone more familiar with accounting confirm or infirm... Accounting is of course keeping count of the balance but a lot of it is also a matter of following preset formatting and rules in how you present all operations.
It would surely count as revenue in the current period. How could it not? Its not close to any of the ignored expenditures (which are things like the academy or stadium upgrades).

Giggsy13

Ever managed people?
It’s a football club, players come and go. What a pointless question to pose, but yes I have managed people and being honest with them is the start and following up with actions to demonstrate your point is the best way to go. Confusing them by opening the door to their return and putting them on the bench when an offer has been accepted by the club is certainly not good management in this scenario.

Irrational.

Maguire comes across as an egotistical, greedy, arrogant, assaulting, police bribing individual who doesn’t know how to take no for an answer.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
This has the potential to get toxic if he doesn’t go.

Greece, followed by sustained periods of terrible form followed by ear cupping and “I have nothing to prove” interviews has made the fanbase turn on him.

I have to admit, the lack of responsibility for his actions and form really does grate. He was club captain and refused to take responsibility. I was hoping this would be the line under everything.

If he is here next season and he plays and makes mistakes, and is seen as a big reason why we are short in midfield/defence, i fear it could get ugly for him.

I feel like he could have handled everything so much better, from Greece onwards, but it appears that even his exit could end up causing unnecessary grief.

Revan

Assumptionman
Maybe. But he has a good chance with no fee. Still doesn't mean he should lose money on reduced wages. He could earn as much on our bench as he might at West Ham and his next contract combined. Maybe he doesn't love football that much and it doesn't bother him. Nobody has actually done anything wrong here apart from the clowns who signed him.
Sure, no problem with him demanding to get x amount of money for him to leave.

At the same time, I think we are completely within our right to completely omit him from the team. Which is what many other clubs do when they want to incentivize a player to leave.

Red For Ever

If he plays very little first team football will that effect his England place.
Does he care, maybe not if it costs you £90k a week or whatever the difference in figure is supposed to be.

I think many people ( but not all ) will sit on the bench rather than play for that sort of difference.

At least he shouldn’t be tired if selected for England.

Tyrion

That's the thing, he really doesn't have to go. He is under contract so he does not need to go until 2026.
Thats what a lot of fans don't get. The people in charge of the club can't just "get the deal done", unless the other parties agree, without paying absurd prices.

That said, the offer for Maguire is generous and I'd actually prefer to pay him to be at West Ham than at Unites.

Jacob

If he plays very little first team football will that effect his England place.
Does he care, maybe not if it costs you £90k a week or whatever the difference in figure is supposed to be.

I think many people ( but not all ) will sit on the bench rather than play for that sort of difference.

At least he shouldn’t be tired if selected for England.
Nor match fit.

Lee565

Reserves it is then for him, this club act to soft, the clu/ten hag need to make it clear he is not getting no game time for united again, just like madrid do with players, same with city and Chelsea etc..

Trequarista10

He is at his lowest ebb and already a meme, yet West Ham just offered £30M and 100k/week for him. It would be naive to think there won't be a host of suitors for him in 2-3 years time.

So why should he leave £7M on the table? I'd argue he is making the smart decision.
He's not as his lowest ebb yet. If he stays and is kept on the bench he'll fall further out of favour and jeopardise his England career. He has every right to negotiate and in most cases there will be a compromise between all 3 parties (United, West Ham and Maguire) with each taking a hit. But its not like Maguire has nothing to lose by holding out, he has limited time left in the game.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I don't think that would make any difference. He/his agent wants the money from the contract, and/or doesn't really fancy West Ham.

Enigma_87

You know who

He’s not yet. He’s still in around his peak years. In two years time without any match practice and 32 years old CB with tarnished resume, I wonder who will offer him 100k a week?

Fridge chutney

Thats what a lot of fans don't get. The people in charge of the club can't just "get the deal done", unless the other parties agree, without paying absurd prices.

That said, the offer for Maguire is generous and I'd actually prefer to pay him to be at West Ham than at Unites.
Yep, i agree, i think that would be best for all parties.

Fridge chutney

He’s not yet. He’s still in around his peak years. In two years time without any match practice and 32 years old CB with tarnished resume, I wonder who will offer him 100k a week?
He doesn't need 100k/week to come out ahead in 2 years. He'll most likely get less but by staying at United, he won't need an additional 1-2 years on 100k to climb out of the 90k/week x 2 or 3 years hole that he leaves on the table by walking away from his current contract

Fridge chutney

He's not as his lowest ebb yet. If he stays and is kept on the bench he'll fall further out of favour and jeopardise his England career. He has every right to negotiate and in most cases there will be a compromise between all 3 parties (United, West Ham and Maguire) with each taking a hit. But its not like Maguire has nothing to lose by holding out, he has limited time left in the game.
He's at the lowest ebb of his career so far. The rest is speculation.

Harry also has a lot to lose by walking away from his current contract, so his calculus is that his contract now is more valuable than what West Ham are offering over the long term for his career.

Enigma_87

You know who
I don't see how this bolsters your original post I quoted, where you said the club have a strong position too?
Club is in strong position because he can potentially revive his career and potentially receive a good 1-2 years on top of his current contract at around 100k.

let’s assume the other scenario. He bags 200k for the next two years, assuming he drags his ass every day to the training ground, otherwise I’d fine him into oblivion - that’s 100k on top of what he will receive from WH.

After that I’m pretty sure he’ll receive peanuts as no sane club will want to pay him anywhere near 100k. He’d either receive part time contracts or pay as you play type of deal, assuming someone even wants him (looking at Bailly and his current value for example).

other scenario is receive 4 year contract at WH which essentially covers the two years at United. Then he’ll have some resale value and might receive a final good contract.

dubplate warrior

Well according to the press it's off and West Ham have moved on, so I doubt it.
Read more as an ultimatum to United and Memelord to get an agreement sooner rather than later to me.

Edit - just seen the latest update from Jacob Steinberg. Feck Maguire.

Strelok

He's not at his lowest yet imo. Another year without any competitive football, older, slower (I'd doubt he can get any slower but once you hit 30 you will get alot slower) and he'd hit a new low.

Tbh I don't really mind if he stay as long as he doesn't play. He singlehandedly kicked us out of the Europa League last season and I don't want any repeat of that. If he behaves ok else just send him to the reserves.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
First off, I will always side with the worker over the employer. If Maguire wants to stay, he is 100% entitled to the stupidly large contract United foolishly gave him. No arguments about that. What he isn't entitled to is a pay off to move elsewhere. He can stay and have his current contract, or leave and get whatever contract his next club is willing to give to him, and that's it. United owe him nothing in that case.

Also, I believe that if he stays, he is either purely motivated by money, or delusional. There is no universe in which he wins back his spot. He will never be a first choice (or even second choice) defender for Manchester United again, much less the captain. He is completely unsuited for the style of football we want to play, and he's not going to suddenly become faster, more agile etc at the age of 30. He's only going to get worse. I realize that in order to make it in sports you have to have incredibly high self-confidence, but this is ludicrous.
It will be a lose lose situation for both parties if his service is no longer required by Man Utd. The logical solution is to pay the difference of his remaining contract and call it done.

Pronewbie

Peep
Club is in strong position because he can potentially revive his career and potentially receive a good 1-2 years on top of his current contract at around 100k.

let’s assume the other scenario. He bags 200k for the next two years, assuming he drags his ass every day to the training ground, otherwise I’d fine him into oblivion - that’s 100k on top of what he will receive from WH.

After that I’m pretty sure he’ll receive peanuts as no sane club will want to pay him anywhere near 100k. He’d either receive part time contracts or pay as you play type of deal, assuming someone even wants him (looking at Bailly and his current value for example).

other scenario is receive 4 year contract at WH which essentially covers the two years at United. Then he’ll have some resale value and might receive a final good contract.
Yep him staying at the club and rotting the next 2 years will cost him a fair bit too if he's genuinely rotting in the team. I think our proposal of meeting him halfway seems very fair for all parties. Maguire choosing the lose-lose option is pretty toxic in my books.

This is why I don't understand why ETH is seemingly giving him an option to stay at the club. If he's clear that Maguire will rot away in the reserves then this may change the outcome. As of now Maguire gets to enjoy the best of both worlds of playing a bit part role and cashing in, then getting a final decent payday in 2 years'.

TheLord

I'd be surprised if it's the last contract, in fact I would worry about United bench shortening his career.
Deep down, thick as he is, he would know that a 4-year deal with West Ham basically ends his career, without even the Saudis bailing him out at 34.
He is being 'forced' to play for West Ham because he has been crap when he has tried to play as the manager wants him to , nothing more and nothing less.

The chance of losing his England place might change his mind, although Southgate seems to pick any old shite as long as he likes them, whether they are playing regularly or not.
The United/West Ham plan will have him retire at West Ham = not winning any major trophy henceforth + money lost on wages, he is asking for some compensation for the money he would have otherwise earned by sticking to the current contract. And he's not even demanding that the entire loss be compensated for, which would be perfectly fine if you ask me, but just half of the total loss.

"He has been crap" argument doesn't hold any water. A contract was signed with the crap player moving him out of his comfort zone (the perfect fit for his abilities) to another club where he was found wanting. Like I said before, he is not moving to a top English side. Moving from United to West Ham, aged 30, is a huge demotion and he is absolutely right with his demands for compensation.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
That Luckhurst tweet is ridiculous. Maguire is a bit of a dope and you'd imagine he'd be better off trying to find a way out, but he's clearly completely within his rights to ask for the money if he wants. I kinda think fair play to him.

mikeyt

Despise him, hope he never plays another minute for us. That being said we should have just paid him. At least we'd get £23million to reinvest.

Mas Risky

Not pointing fingers at anyone but is it that different in essence with the speculated 17m€ in deferred wages that were due to de Jong by FC Barca ?
I feel people here last year were more sympathetic to the player in that hypothetical.
Because performance-wise, FDJ never been a problem for Barcelona. They just can't afford his salary due to mismanagement.

On the other hand, we desperately need to get rid of Maguire because he's been a liability for us.

I can understand if he wants to fight for his place and keep his income. But it is clear as a day that his manager and teammates don't trust him any more.

If he can stop making people nervous and just do the basics correctly, I'm okay with him staying.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Deep down, thick as he is, he would know that a 4-year deal with West Ham basically ends his career, without even the Saudis bailing him out at 34.

The United/West Ham plan will have him retire at West Ham = not winning any major trophy henceforth + money lost on wages, he is asking for some compensation for the money he would have otherwise earned by sticking to the current contract. And he's not even demanding that the entire loss be compensated for, which would be perfectly fine if you ask me, but just half of the total loss.

"He has been crap" argument doesn't hold any water. A contract was signed with the crap player moving him out of his comfort zone (the perfect fit for his abilities) to another club where he was found wanting. Like I said before, he is not moving to a top English side. Moving from United to West Ham, aged 30, is a huge demotion and he is absolutely right with his demands for compensation.
I wonder if people are in Maguire's shoes, will they just give up the salary they are legally entitled to and just accept a reduced salary somewhere else without negotiation.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
My point was litteral because it is about money. It's very likely that he won't retire at 34 years old unless he wants to which means that he will be able to earn money even if it's a lower wage. He could easily follow the same steps than Jagielka and many other CBs.

Which isn't to say that he should forfeit any wage but that it's likely not his last contract.