Maguire | he stays!

Hoof the ball

Putting him on the bench last night was silly. It showed him that he’s a squad player.
Yeah, EtH fecked up big time with that one. The man needs no encouragement whatsoever. He's like the dude who misconstrues momentary momentary eye contact from a girl as genuine interest. EtH could beat him like a red-headed stepchild and Maguire would find tough love in it.

feck sake.

Ananke

Nah, we just didn't cough up the payoff he and his agent were hoping for. I'd guess the deal was dead at the point EtH made those comments, otherwise he wouldn't have made them. He won't be fighting for anything - he's the Premier League's most expensive bench warmer for the next two years.
Exactly. The line of him fighting for his place is just to save face. If we were to say we weren’t paying him out what he wanted, and he stays, that creates a horrific atmosphere.

kps88

Can’t believe Maguire and Henderson will still be here this season.

AaronRedDevil

I hate this club. Can't sell fecking ANYONE. Should have taken that 60m for him and Scott when we had the chance. Oh well. Stupid greedy twats. Wouldn't be surprised if they sold Bruno and Rashford for 15m each. United are incapable of actually selling any fecking players about that price.

Thiagoal

Centre back is one of our strongest areas so I’m personally happy that slab head remains as fourth/ fifth choice! Hopefully we can focus on the area we really need to strengthen over the last couple of weeks…an energetic defensive minded midfielder

Enigma_87

You know who
Which will only happen if he agrees to it, and to do that he would be giving up what he is legally entitled to from United.

Why would he give up £7m?
Because if he’s frozen at 30 years old that effectively ends his career with that 7m.
Bogarde chose that path. Not that many off the top of my head.

bstb3

Anyone have insight to what West Ham forum are saying?
In my head there's a bunch of pearly kings and queens dancing around tapping spoons on their knees and each other very happy right now, having a good old fashioned cockney knees up. That might just be me though. Can't imagine they are too upset to be honest, even though he would probably have been good for them. With the way his attitude seems to have gone it might be best avoided.

tomaldinho1

I hate this club. Can't sell fecking ANYONE. Should have taken that 60m for him and Scott when we had the chance. Oh well. Stupid greedy twats.
We've literally sold Elanga, Fred, Kovar, Telles, Iqbal and let DDG, Axel and Jones go...

Mwooyo

Said it a long time ago... Maguires biggest problem is his mental ego. When he was captain he kept refering to it in various press conferences as well as the fact that he wasn't being dropped rather than admitting that he had played poorly. Ten hag came through and made it clear after 2 games that Maguire wasn't going to start for him. Maguire on his end firmly believed that the problem was lisandro Martinez or de gea...never him

This summer, it was reported that Maguire himself considered the initial 20m bid by westham to be too low. Think about that for a second, the player and not the club believed the bid was too low. Maguire is among the few players to actually get hyped over the price manutd paid for him. He actually thinks he is an 80m pound player whether or not he plays well

For me there is little surprise that he looks down on a 30m westham bid... people just don't understand it but Maguires real problem is the ego. This dude didn't even really care about being dropped until ten hag took the captaincy off him. Once again, it was the first time for me to see a player make a statement about losing the captaincy like it was a big surprise.

Don't be surprised if he is okay sitting there and being 4th or 5th choice until his contract runs out. Phil Jones taught him well and many have said it before....ole did wayyy more damage to the club than we will ever know. A player like Phil Jones should have been released eons ago inorder to discourage such behaviour but instead we rewarded it. Maguire is just the next Phil Jones

LARulz

To be fair, if it's true Moyes hasn't spoken to him all this time then that's on West Ham. If it wasn't true I expect West Ham/Moyes to say otherwise but it if it is, it does imply he may not have actually felt that wanted there (either)

Hoof the ball

Nah, we just didn't cough up the payoff he and his agent were hoping for. I'd guess the deal was dead at the point EtH made those comments, otherwise he wouldn't have made them. He won't be fighting for anything - he's the Premier League's most expensive bench warmer for the next two years.
Sigh..........Looks like I'll have to get back on the anti-depressants this season.

Enigma_87

You know who
To be fair, if it's true Moyes hasn't spoken to him all this time then that's on West Ham. If it wasn't true I expect West Ham/Moyes to say otherwise but it if it is, it does imply he may not have actually felt that wanted there (either)
Depends on how the negotiations ended. If Maguire rejected the contract offer there’s not much to discuss with Moyes.

tomaldinho1

Because if he’s frozen at 30 years old that effectively ends his career with that 7m.
Bogarde chose that path. Not that many off the top of my head.
He'll halve his salary at WHUM and United are very valuable for players to monetise other revenue streams.
It's abundantly clear he isn't that keen on going to WHUM, he strikes me as content with his career and somewhat deluded in how he is perceived but it is what it is. The club's fault, hand out silly contracts to average players and pay the price.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He's fifth choice centre-back so him staying really isn't the disaster some will have you think. I think people were giddy about Pavard coming in but I'm not sure he's what we need either. Gives the clubs another year to identify a new centre-back and hopefully we can now wrap up Amrabat.

GMoore23

Just happy to call himself a United player like Lingard. Way too content with himself at United which is why he ended up shit. Feck off!!

bosskeano

man that is seriously fecked up that he won't just leave the damn club when he's clearly not wanted

Stig

TenHag has to do what someone like mourinho would do. Make him understand he won't even be on the bench anymore, don't register him for Europe. He leaves or he rots in the reserves.
Isn't that legally constructive dismissal, and they he would get his full salary paid out for our breach of contract, and he would be a free agent. I think. Lawyers chip in.

cj_sparky

Peoblem is, he was on the bench lash night. That was ETH’s perfect moment to drop him from the squad and force him out.
Yeah, it certainly didn't help. Mr Jacob Harry Maguire certainly has an overinflated opinion of himself.

Irwin99

Well, it is what it is. If he's happy being fourth choice (5th choice?) centre back and potentially missing out with England that's his decision. I'm pretty sure Southgate has said quite a few times he wants Maguire to play regularly and that it's a worry if he's not.

Still think Spurs could do worse than put in a bid for him. He's better than Dier that's for sure.

Idxomer

I thought Ten Hag would be ruthless after taking the captaincy off him. He shouldn't have given him all this game time in pre-season. He should've also kept him off the squad the second the bid was accepted. He took half measures like when he punished Ronaldo after his strop against Spurs only to give him the captaincy against Villa two weeks later.

Of course, the club shares a huge part of the blame in all of this because they do everything at a snail's pace.

Maajid

Formerly Mad
Isn't that legally constructive dismissal, and they he would get his full salary paid out for our breach of contract, and he would be a free agent. I think. Lawyers chip in.
I don't think that's the issue here. Ten Hag has told him but the 15M payout is what's compromised the deal. The "not enough time to find a replacement" reasoning is just the club dressing its windows.

Marwood

He's fifth choice centre-back so him staying really isn't the disaster some will have you think. I think people were giddy about Pavard coming in but I'm not sure he's what we need either. Gives the clubs another year to identify a new centre-back and hopefully we can now wrap up Amrabat.
Yeah agree.

His name attracts attention but him staying won't make much of a difference to anything.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
So he's decided to be our Bogarde. Ace.

I never blame the player in this situation, either. Unfortunately, we were just absolute fecking morons to sign him and to pay him that much.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
It would have a good and respectable move to restart his career at west ham, and fight for his England spot. I hope we don’t see him on the pitch, but it seems we can’t bring in a defender if he’s not leaving. I hope we at least learn and stop offering average players insane wages.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Well, enjoy those early carabao games Harry. I wouldn’t even give you those.

Red_toad

Staying as he ‘love the club’. Doubt he’ll be getting any love off the fans, as we can see he’s now holding the club back with his unwillingness to move on. Like an ex who just doesn’t get what’s done is done. Hope he enjoys his league cup games and not playing for England anymore.
Hopefully his love of the club will stop him from creating issues as he’s not good enough to play.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
From the outside looking in as an opposition fan, you would think Maguire would be desperate to go. Especially for his England career.

He can go to West Ham and essentially have a whole new career. A total reset at a big club where he’d be the main man again like he was at Leicester.

Plastic Evra

Media said it was £30m and £6m payout, is this £7m another on top of that?
Unclear; 6, 7 and 15m£ have been mentioned by different tweets / articles.
15m£ I'm not sure I see the napkin calculations for that one but maybe included some bonus or side benefits on top of wage difference, I dunno.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
From the outside looking in as an opposition fan, you would think Maguire would be desperate to go. Especially for his England career.

He can go to West Ham and essentially have a whole new career. A total reset at a big club where he’d be the main man again like he was at Leicester.
He could sit on his arse all season and he'd still be Southgate's first choice next summer.