Maguire | he stays!

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I get wanting whats owed to you. I get want to maximise your earnings potential for what is a short career (to a point).

But I can't help but think he'll come to massively regret not leaving this summer in the long run.

RopersReturn

I get the impression his agent has a big part to play in hijacking this move. Harry doesn’t come across as shrewd enough to ask for more money and probably wouldn’t know how much he’s earning.

always_hoping

Have to accept he's saying now but I don't want to see him starting any important game this season and seeing where he is in the pecking order he's unlikely to do so unless injury crisis to all centre back options. One of the only useful ways to use him is to bring him on with 10 or less minutes to play when behind in games and played up front to nod down high hopefully balls into the box.

Red00012

Mmm. £5m for Bailly, between £10/15m for Hannibal and £15m for Donny I'd say.
Bailly was been left go on a free only he couldn’t agree terms and Donny is a loan . Hannibal will go out on a loan as well so you’re all wrong

soralapio

For one, I'm happy he's willing to stay and fight. Yes, he's not worth his wages, yes, he's been disastrous for us - but if he puts his head down, is willing to work and resurrect his career, we as United fans should back him up and support him rather than bite behind his back.
There is no universe where this happens. He's 30. He's not going to get faster or more agile, or fix any of the other problems in his game that make him a shit defender for United.

clarkydaz

It’s almost as though someone must be forcing ETH to keep him and slowly integrate him into becoming an option. It’s an unusual pivot from the initial stance. It’s also strange just a mere (5-7m give or take) sum made the deal fall through. ETH showed ruthlessness and conviction in his strategy. For some reason that hasn’t been the case with Maguire- or rather, is no longer the case.
The manager is stuck with him so has to save face and keep squad harmony. The club opened the door and gestured him to leave, but he wouldnt

Rolaholic

Meanwhile fecking City can get 35m from Saudi for one of their cast-offs no problem :lol: :(

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Meanwhile fecking City can get 35m from Saudi for one of their cast-offs no problem :lol: :(
The Saudi's are probably reading Redcafe and thinking if the fans give him so much shite then he must be really, really bad, City can do it because virtually no one reads Blue Moon and they likely don't dump on as much on their own players

FerociousCorgis

There is no universe where this happens. He's 30. He's not going to get faster or more agile, or fix any of the other problems in his game that make him a shit defender for United.
yeah this whole fighting for his place just makes no sense to me. He just doesnt fit how we want to play from the back, and the things he struggles with just arent things you can changes, especially at his age. His slow lumbering zone of control in a high line would be a disaster. Mentally he doesnt move quick enough, you can argue he could be coached to move the ball quicker but at this point his bad habits will eventually creep back in on that at some point. Just watch how shaw was at CB at end of last season and how many chances he snuffed out due to being somewhat quick that maguire wouldnt have been in the same area code on.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Who said he wants to leave?
If the club want to sell him and he does not want to go and see out his contract he is perfectly within his rights to do so.
Some seem to struggle on here with the meaning of what a contract is.
Never said its not fine for him to stay, read the post properly. Cleary I am saying its not ok for him to transfer to a new club and at the same time demand a payout for “money owed”

Bondi77

Never said its not fine for him to stay, read the post properly. Cleary I am saying its not ok for him to transfer to a new club and at the same time demand a payout for “money owed”
So do you think Sancho or Antony would walk away with no severance pay if we decided to sell them tomorrow to a mid table club where they would have to fit in the wage structure of that club?

peridigm

I would expect Saudi would be in for him before the end of the window but he'd never go there. I could be wrong. Maybe they already made contact and he declined.

DickDastardly

I get wanting whats owed to you. I get want to maximise your earnings potential for what is a short career (to a point).

But I can't help but think he'll come to massively regret not leaving this summer in the long run.
He does seem like the guy who doesn't get the bigger picture...

Which is odd enough given he'd easily fit a OLED tv inside that square head of his.

dinostar77

I would expect Saudi would be in for him before the end of the window but he'd never go there. I could be wrong. Maybe they already made contact and he declined.
Shame the saudi CL spot isnt happening till 2025. We'd get rid of alot more players.

swissgenius

But he doesn't want the transfer, that's the whole point. The club wants to get rid of him so they have to pay him. He is entitled to demand his salary as it says in the contract.
If they sell him now at least there is a fee invoved. His salary has to be paid either way, because he's happy to stay.

The club thinks that 30m won't get them a replacement, while I think a 4th choice CB can be founf for that money. Maybe even one with a smaller ego and some potential to replace Varane next year.

City paid 15m for Akanji just last year.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
So do you think Sancho or Antony would walk away with no severance pay if we decided to sell them tomorrow to a mid table club where they would have to fit in the wage structure of that club?
They will if they care about their reputation, career, NT chances etc.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
The Saudi's are probably reading Redcafe and thinking if the fans give him so much shite then he must be really, really bad, City can do it because virtually no one reads Blue Moon and they likely don't dump on as much on their own players
Dear Saudi's,

Would like to tell you not to believe everything you read here. Caftards are not very know as knowledgeable when it comes to football. Quite the opposite, not to mention they are very young, teenagers to be exact, and they are jealous of our enormously successful football players like Maguire, Henderson, Bailly, Martial, McTominay, etc. Let me also inform you those players are very popular around the world and will lift popularity of your league in no time. We would be very sad if you would buy them for £300m-£350m, but will also understand your desire to get best of the best and all of the Caf will become fans of the future World greatest league: SA League.

Red_toad

His ego wont let him go to a lesser club. He's an ego maniac.
He’d move if his ego was the issue. Being stripped of the captaincy and dropped to the bench would be intolerable to anyone with ego problems.
It’s just greed, or he’s extremely deluded that he’ll win his place back, or both. He’s done at United and we’ll probably take a bigger hit on him next summer or he’ll walk on a free the one after. The mocking of him on social media and booing at games will get even worse, he’ll be broken forever.

gza the genius

Seems like we were only going to sell if we could replace him for a similar fee.

He's 4th choice now so wages aside, who cares? We'll barely have to see him play and despite not really being a good fit for our desired future playing style he's still a very good 4th choice center back.

Cassidy

Name a transfer where a player gets severance. It only happens on mutual termination of contract. As with Sanchez and Ronaldo.

And no the players can choose to stay at United. If a player choses to join another club via transfer they are not entitled to serverance.

Similarly if your job makes you redundant you get severance. If you get a new job, even on a lower salary you get no severance.

There is a reason the clubs public stance is that they value Maguire as an important member of the squad. If he leaves its his choice and the club owes him nothing,

Wishe

This is ETH's fault too. SAF would have told him he is never going to play again and needs to feck off.
And you think ETH has the same power and influence at the club that SAF used to have? ETH has to say what he has been told to say, he is the clubs YES man when it comes to situations like this.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Laporte is levels above maguire.
Or may be the problem also lies on DOF. There must be a reason for the failure of the transfer for the unwanted players. From Henderson, Baily, Maguire to Mctominay. They all failed just because players are greedy?

Bondi77

We should just go back to signing players on a 3yr contract with the extra 1yr option for the club....simples.

Wing Attack Plan R

People just want to slag him off. But the guy has realistically 5 years left of his career. Beyond that he has no idea on what he can earn. He is being asked to give up £7m over the course of 2 of those 5 years. Makes no sense unless he really thinks his career will be over at 32.
Or he could leave and go play football while still being handsomely rewarded.

sixdwarf

I wonder why Maguire does not appear to be of interest to Saudi clubs like City's Laporte is. It wouldn't be because he is not considered to be very good now...would it??!

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Why not? The other side of this argument is saying that "Harry should pay us money to play football elsewhere"

GoldanoGraham

Maguire through possible bad advice is going to have a very difficult season, he is going to become public enemy number 1 in the eyes of many, he is not going to get hardly any minutes, wreck his England career and have a very difficult time all around.

If he somehow got back into the team he will not win around a section of the fans and everyone will be willing his first big mistake.

Whatever you think of his ability then you can’t on a personal level want that on anyone. I really hope for his mindset that he gets out now so that he can reset. He is finished at Utd.

Kag

Nah I don't think so. He's probably going to start 10-15 games for us, and come on in 15-20 more. He will still get plenty of time as we don't have that much depth at the back.
He’ll get a hiding from the crowd and lose his England place to Colwill. He’s being an idiot.

Wing Attack Plan R

He’s also far more likely to win trophies at Utd than a shite club like West Ham, though, even if he’s not playing a big part in them. It’s shit, and speaks volumes that he clearly doesn’t care how much he actually plays, but it is another aspect than just the money.

if he stays here he gets a big fat wage and potentially wins more trophies whilst not playing much.
if he goes there he will earn half that wage, probably be in a relegation scrap, and play a lot more.

is it really THAT obvious a move?
He won't have enough appearances to qualify for any trophy we do win. Don't they need 10 full matches in the PL? He managed 6 last time. He's also not leading the defense if we progress to the semis of any cup competition.

Cassidy

Why not? The other side of this argument is saying that "Harry should pay us money to play football elsewhere"
Why would Maguire need to pay United? You’ll need to explain that.

At the point Maguire transfers to a new club, he is no longer employed by United. As per the terms of his contract, he is no longer owed any future payments since he has agreed to no longer fulfil his contractual obligations to United.

Maguire is within his rights to refuse a transfer. That is the only way he is entitled to future payments.

Cassidy

If money is his issue, hopefully he’ll go Suadi