Maguire | he stays!

Redlyn

Jesus, thats alot of money.

Just tell him, he wont be registered in CL or PL this season. Fecking parasite.

I know hes entitled to ask, if thats whats due to him. But it seems a big jump from £7mil.

One of the worst players in Utd history for the price we paid.
If this is true then I take back every defense i have made for him. I cant bare to look at his fridge face any more. Hope it can get clarified because I am about to spend the whole season bitterly hating him.

parmenio

I know, but my understanding is that we cant/wont unless he leaves. Ergo, he holds all the cards.
He only holds cards if ETH wants him. If the alleged £15m pay off is true then that’s insane. Makes no sense to sell him then and he knows it. However if ETH is annoyed by this then he can simply refuse to play him bench and that’s it. No5 choice CH at best. Kills his England career as well. 15m is not the difference in wages it’s just stupid. Why do people keep bringing in Chelsea as if their model is correct it’s a joke.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
If this is true then I take back every defense i have made for him. I cant bare to look at his fridge face any more. Hope it can get clarified because I am about to spend the whole season bitterly hating him.
He didn't force United at gun point to offer him contract. He's well within his rights to stay or leave on his conditons.

BootsyCollins

I disagree. It was a game who blinks first and we did. Instead being clear that he will not be part of Erik's plans, we said that he can fight for his place.
I doubt that he would reject West Ham if his future was in United's reserves.
I doubt that to. Thats why i think he rejected it, since he know we cant drop him since we cant buy new players before he leaves.
Erik knows this to imo. So lets say we did not blink and said he will not be in the plans and wont be able to fight for his spot, it would take him 3 seconds to look at our squad and call our bluff.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
It's more than the deficit of his loss of earnings between the 2 contracts (Roughly £7m), he apparently wants another£8m due to the fact that if he run his contract down he would be offered a huge signing on bonus apparently. A near 33 old Maguire with little game time in years is going to apparently get £8m signing on bonus? Can't make this stuff up.
Who'd want to sign him with actions like these?

acnumber9

He didn't force United at gun point to offer him contract. He's well within his rights to stay or leave on his conditons.
And everybody else is within their rights to think he’s a bit of a dick.

Paul778

There's someone in his head clearly...
Plausible deniability. This is his agent working on his behalf. I wouldn't be surprised that this is all postuing from both sides.

Naively i think the last 48 hours of the window is when a lot of deals out will get done. Whether we can get any additional deals over the line at that point - i assume we've done work to get people lined up. Does anyone ever do a pre medical?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
No, my job has a minimum guarantee employers can’t legally go below (i.e. scale), so I wasn’t making double the scale rate. It’s not really analogous though. For a normal working person, any pay cut is felt, whereas there isn’t a chance Maguire’s finances will be upended dropping from £190,000 per week to £120,000.
Of course they will be if he wants to maintain his existing lifestyle, his career ends in 3-4 years - after that he has no income, there's no guarantee he'll turn in to a coach, given the shit he gets a I doubt he's gonna be forking for MUTV

Redlyn

Sure and its also well within my right to see him as unrealistc, greedy and useless.
In this kind of situation there has to be a middle ground where he has to give up a little in exchange for money he hasnt yet earned upfront and freshstart. If he wants his FULL future cash upfront while not playing for us then the fans are in their right to treat him as he deserves.

Enigma_87

You know who
And he's about to get plenty of abuse due to this decision. I'm pretty sure fans will turn on him straight away even without setting foot on the ground, because he will be the reason not to strengthen certain positions.

He already good booed before even someone was in for him, let alone after dragging this and wanting to squeeze every bit of money from both parties.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Sure and its also well within my right to see him as unrealistc, greedy and useless.
In this kind of situation there has to be a middle ground where he has to give up a little in exchange for money he hasnt yet earned upfront and freshstart. If he wants his FULL future cash upfront while not playing for us then the fans are in their right to treat him as he deserves.
Would you expect not to be paid if you turned up for work but your employer had nothing for you to do?

Actually playing in a game is only part of the job, the biggest part of the job is training and preparation

ElDiabloRojo

He will stay for the money and may get his chance eventually to play a game. But he will be dropped straight away again as he isn't up to it.

His passion is the money now, hopefully he loses his England place too, more time to enjoy the money.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Plausible deniability. This is his agent working on his behalf. I wouldn't be surprised that this is all postuing from both sides.

Naively i think the last 48 hours of the window is when a lot of deals out will get done. Whether we can get any additional deals over the line at that point - i assume we've done work to get people lined up. Does anyone ever do a pre medical?
No but we can do medicals all over the world but with our targets of Pavard and Amrabat, the worry is that they get scooped up by Arsenal and Liverpool before then.

Enigma_87

You know who
Would you expect not to be paid if you turned up for work but your employer had nothing for you to do?

Actually playing in a game is only part of the job, the biggest part of the job is training and preparation
That's ok if he wants to take that path. Turn up, train - with reserves or U21 - it's the employer's decision, not yours, then collect the paycheck.
If you turn up late - you get yourself a fine.

What irks me, and pretty sure most others, you want to get paid for 2 years in advance, collect the money, then go to another club, collect another paycheck, play competitive games (why not against United as well) and keep your England's place. That can't and should not happen.

The best scenario for United is to structure a deal with Pavard/Tolibo so it doesn't affect much the FFP and feck him out on loan to some League 2 side with United of course still filling the wages.

Eugenius

I’ve left jobs to earn less money but have a better role. I’ve quit to work on better projects that are more interesting to me, even though I didn’t make as much. I don’t think that’s a rare thing. Especially if you’re making decent scratch in both jobs.
No offence but was it a 30 percent pay cut and are you in the last few years of your career? And did you have to uproot your family to take that new job? It's also not uncommon to stay in a job you don't like because it's paying to upkeep your lifestyle.

Fr. Todd Unctious

No offence but was it a 30 percent pay cut and are you in the last few years of your career? And did you have to uproot your family to take that new job? It's also not uncommon to stay in a job you don't like because it's paying to upkeep your lifestyle.

Can we please stop acting like Harry was going to be on the breadline. He was offered 6m by the club on top of what he'd be on at West Ham.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
This isn't a paycut at all as we apparently offered him £7m (Deficit in contract), so for the 2 years he has of this contract he would earn the same, while getting to play more football and be more appreciated. Further to that, he will still have a good contract at the age of 32 when in reality after 2 years of barely playing here, the chances of him being offered £120k at 32 are slim to none so financially I actually think he's better off going..

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
This isn't a paycut at all as we apparently offered him £7m (Deficit in contract), so for the 2 years he has of this contract he would earn the same, while getting to play more football and be more appreciated. Further to that, he will still have a good contract at the age of 32 when in reality after 2 years of barely playing here, the chances of him being offered £120k at 32 are slim to none so financially I actually think he's better off going..
Yeah, it feels like short-term thinking from Harry, unless he truly believes he will turn it around here.

If he does suddenly become a first team player here, then there is a chance an extension happens, but based on the here and now, I’d hedge my bets he’ll make a handful of appearances to cover injuries and tiredness and then sit on the bench 70% of games.

Eugenius

Can we please stop acting like Harry was going to be on the breadline. He was offered 6m by the club on top of what he'd be on at West Ham.
The report was he was asking for £7m lump sum from United to make whole the gap between £190k and £120k at West Ham over the two years left on his contract. The report was that West Ham pulled out because he was taking too long to agree the payout from Utd (and then followed by briefings from the Maguire camp about him being happy here etc, which sounds like PR). I'm saying it is completely rational for him to want to pursue that money, and if he doesn't get it to stay put.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Obviously no premier league footballer is struggling for money.

But it's utter fan idiocy to think any player is daft enough to change club for a big pay cut!

RuudTom83

Too much chat about the amount Harry did or didn't ask for and how much United did or didn't offer...

Maguire never agreed personal terms with West Ham, and was on the bench even after West Ham had bid.

He had no interest in leaving. All these numbers are just twitter bollocks.

CM

It is important to remember that pay off figure is coming from The Sun. More reputable sources have reported it's actually closer to £7m.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
And everybody else is within their rights to think he’s a bit of a dick.
And he's about to get plenty of abuse due to this decision. I'm pretty sure fans will turn on him straight away even without setting foot on the ground, because he will be the reason not to strengthen certain positions.

He already good booed before even someone was in for him, let alone after dragging this and wanting to squeeze every bit of money from both parties.
Only that your anger stems from a misdirected sense of justice. He's not rinsing the club. It's hypocritical to criticize players for fulfilling their contracts when you don't want them around any longer but at the same time expect players who want to leave to respect theirs. So you're entitled to your opinion but if that's your opinion, you're wrong, plain and simple.

Tony247

If he is asking his contractual money to be paid then nothing there to complain actually. No player will let go a huge amount. We are stuck and it is what it is.

Mou Mou Land

Simply give him the job of being Johnny Evan's assistant coach with the kids - no number, no position. The club fulfils its legal employer responsibilities while he assists someone we saw surplus to requirements eight years ago, but is still going to be one above him in the pecking order.

Someone

Something
I've somewhat changed my position on Maguire after these last few weeks. For one, I'm happy he's willing to stay and fight. Yes, he's not worth his wages, yes, he's been disastrous for us - but if he puts his head down, is willing to work and resurrect his career, we as United fans should back him up and support him rather than bite behind his back. This is not the Maguire of two years ago who was egotistical and conceited. This is a man willing to acknowledge he is lacking something & willing to improve on it. I hope he succeeds.
This is a man who's risking his career for money. There's nothing honorable about what he's doing. He could go Captain west ham, play week in week out, and keep playing for his country, but instead he wants to sit on his arse just to collect some more money. He's also not the kind who's gonna get better without playing, so the more he's on the bench the worse he'll get. This will also stop us from getting someone like Pavard in, so it harms the club.

I have no sympathy for him. He was a massive investment and ended up being a massive disappointment. He already collected way more money than he actually deserves. The least he could do is leave. I don't want us to boo him or abuse him online, but he should be told that his United career is over.

Devil You Know

This is a man who's risking his career for money. There's nothing honorable about what he's doing. He could go Captain west ham, play week in week out, and keep playing for his country, but instead he wants to sit on his arse just to collect some more money. He's also not the kind who's gonna get better without playing, so the more he's on the bench the worse he'll get. This will also stop us from getting someone like Pavard in, so it harms the club.

I have no sympathy for him. He was a massive investment and ended up being a massive disappointment. He already collected way more money than he actually deserves. The least he could do is leave. I don't want us to boo him or abuse him online, but he should be told that his United career is over.
It's better to be a squad player at United than a starter for West Ham. I would definitely prefer it as well.

Someone

Something
It's better to be a squad player at United than a starter for West Ham. I would definitely prefer it as well.
Because you love the club, but it's not really good for your career is it? It also depends on how you view your level. Maguire was bought to be a starter, now he's been stripped of the captaincy, and is becoming a global meme. His presence at the club brings a lot of humiliation for him.

seegoblu

Terrible look for the former captain of the club. This isn’t like Barca trying to force a player out of the club, if he wants to stay…fine. If he wants to go…fine. If he stays, he gets paid in full, but will likely not play much. If HE wants to go, why should United pay him off…it would have been his decision to leave to ensure he is playing.

M16Red

"City wanted him"
"City wanted Fred"

Hmm...
Are you saying they also didn't want Sanchez? Or Ronaldo?
Yes to two;

Pep:
"He's strong in the air, good with the ball, the build-up, he drives with the ball, he's fast, so fast. He has all the qualities. Congratulations to United for this signature." :lol: - Money Maguire
"He has a lot of defensive intensity, he can unlock a match and, from what I have been told, he is a very good boy." - Sanchez

German journalist Raphael Honigstein – who is currently working with Per Mertersacker on his new autobiography – has lifted the lid on just how much Sánchez’s eventual departure came as a relief to Arsène Wenger’s squad.
It’s been under-reported just how badly the whole Arsenal dressing room hated Alexis Sanchez,” Honigstein told the Totally Football Show podcast.

I think he did want Fred and Ronnie;

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Just let him rot in the reserves. Undeserving to be part of our squad from hereon.

tomaldinho1

Maguire has the distinct ability to remain in the same room as James Corden and still be perceived as the greater of two evils.
No way. Maguire is just a bumbling fool who is seemingly a bit out of touch with how he's perceived, Corden is just awful.