Maguire: I wouldn't be starting every game if I was playing bad or not playing well enough, there's a reason both managers put me in XI every game

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamVimes

Just out of curiosity, as Captain of the Club did he do any media interviews last night?

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!

That Insta post is fake, relax everyone.

AFC NimbleThumb

Just out of curiosity, as Captain of the Club did he do any media interviews last night?
Can’t remember if it was the Citeh or Pool game earlier in the season but that’s the only time I remember him fronting up the press after a disasterclass. He’s got a habit of coming out when we win though.

The ‘My Captain’ crowd only have themselves to blame.

CallyRed

That Insta post is fake, relax everyone.
Goes to show how many people will believe anything that is written, without any thought about the source etc.
Someone types up some words, says it's his sister and people believe it.

Varane around town

I know this sounds like ITK horse poo but I actually someone who knows someone who knows Maguire.

Of course take this with a pinch of salt but Maguire's character does come across as quite pleasant, honest and sensitive. I struggle to believe that he hasn't been seriously hurt by the criticism he's got this season. I think that explains some of the more bizarre bits of his behaviour this season. Such as the fingers in his ears against Andorra, the refusal to take responsibility and this interview. Ridiculous outward displays of confidence in an attempt to hide how much his self-esteem has been battered this season.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Goes to show how many people will believe anything that is written, without any thought about the source etc.
Someone types up some words, says it's his sister and people believe it.
People believe what they want to believe. This is massive issue for the ‘social media generation’ who constantly just believe everything they see online or said in the media. Maguire is enemy number one so any negative story will be deemed as true at the moment!

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Can’t remember if it was the Citeh or Pool game earlier in the season but that’s the only time I remember him fronting up the press after a disasterclass. He’s got a habit of coming out when we win though.

The ‘My Captain’ crowd only have themselves to blame.
Woah, hang on.....you telling me that we've had a 'My Captain' crew all this time??? :confused:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I think I much preferred the days where you'd just get a bit of teletext coverage about your club, and not hours and hours of hype, bitterness, fake quotes, and tedious interviews that are poured over to the letter.

CallyRed

People believe what they want to believe. This is massive issue for the ‘social media generation’ who constantly just believe everything they see online or said in the media. Maguire is enemy number one so any negative story will be deemed as true at the moment!
It's frightening isn't it.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I mean it's not hard to work out. We spunked 80m on him the club see him as a hugely valuable assets. One they can't allow to depreciate by sitting on the bench. So managers will be pressured to play him. Plus being handed the captaincy it's very hard to drop your club captain. Then finally many of the other defenders can't put 5 games together without being injured. Bailly being available for one match and not being anywhere near match fit is not an actual option. When have any of the other defenders been available for more than 5 in a row except maguire?
Pogba cost more yet has been benched repeatedly since being here, he is also a higher profile player, and up til this season a more valuable asset, seems strange to have one rule for one yet another for another?

This whole theory that we have to play our captain is utter nonsense too.
Ragnick states when he took over that he would choose the captain, he chose to stick with Maguire, nothing was then stated that he would play every game unlike LVG.

As for injuries, your right, but again I Reiterate my point from before, Jones has been fit all season, Lindelgod has been fit for majority of it, Varane and Bailly less so, but Bailly was fit last night. If Maguire was truly that bad, why didn't Bailly start? Why hasn't Jones started more games with Lindelgod instead of Maguire?

RopersReturn

This sounds like a symptom of Dunning-Kruger effect, a cognitive disorder whereby people with low ability at a task overestimate their ability.

mancan92

Pogba cost more yet has been benched repeatedly since being here, he is also a higher profile player, and up til this season a more valuable asset, seems strange to have one rule for one yet another for another?

This whole theory that we have to play our captain is utter nonsense too.
Ragnick states when he took over that he would choose the captain, he chose to stick with Maguire, nothing was then stated that he would play every game unlike LVG.

As for injuries, your right, but again I Reiterate my point from before, Jones has been fit all season, Lindelgod has been fit for majority of it, Varane and Bailly less so, but Bailly was fit last night. If Maguire was truly that bad, why didn't Bailly start? Why hasn't Jones started more games with Lindelgod instead of Maguire?
Pogba almost always plays when he is fit. The last 3 years hes been consistently injured for huge parts. He has been dropped a couple times in the period but it was for a maximum of a couple games and we had options apart from that he plays every game. So it's not the same situation.

Maguire is literally at times been our only fit centre back. I made it very clear why he plays and someone like bailly doesn't start randomly when he has been injured for a while. Sitting on the bench for the first time in months does not mean you are ready to start against Liverpool. None of our other cbs have been fit for more than 5 games in a row so none of them have even got to be match fit. Jones is literally having his first fit season for 4 years. How would you expect him to start over maguire?

Ragnick has said many things but it's clear as day he doesnt have the power to do much at the club at all. He only got 2 games playing his actual preferred system and style of play before he had to switch back and got no money to improve the squad in January. He has no say on anything.

There are clear reasons why maguire starts and alot of them have nothing to do with his performance levels.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
The man infuriates me.

Not a leader and not captain material. Watching him sprint is like watching someone run in a dream. Painful.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
This has seriously got to be one of the most ironic things I've ever read. It's not the 'social media generation', genius, it's their foolish parents and grandparents who parrot dumb lies from, mostly, Facebook and then go to vote for morons accordingly that is the landmark of the last ten years.

The amount of dumb stuff I've read on here but the above post just takes the cake.

Tyrion

Honestly I think older people are more likely than younger people to fall for crap on social media. Le Tissier is a good example.

laughtersassassin

Think Maguire and Rashford are the too players worst at taking valid criticism!

Should be shipped out on next 12 months if they don't improve ten fold.

Foxbatt

He has faced nothing like Fellaini had to face. The crowd, the pundits, everyone having a go at him. Yet time and again he would come out and give his all and never stopped fighting for the shirt.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He has faced nothing like Fellaini had to face. The crowd, the pundits, everyone having a go at him. Yet time and again he would come out and give his all and never stopped fighting for the shirt.
If he is treated like Fellaini Im pretty sure he would cry. And then he will release twitter statements multiple times.

el3mel

I miss Fellaini. Guy had a rock solid mentality and always gave his 100%. He made mistakes but he always bounced from them. He never let the criticism and boos get to him.

Easily one of our post signings post Fergie, as crazy as it might sound to some.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He's better than what he's shown this season. He's not a bad player. He doesn't suit a progressive high pressing style though in the slightest and he brings down the standards in the dressing room with his absolute lack of self-awareness and small mentality.

He needs to be sold for the good of the team's culture.

Moiraine

Come on guys, cheer up
(Can someone make him sit and watch this entire clip)?

crossy1686

career ending
Who the feck is taking time out of their day to make up a post from maguires sister to then give Maguire shit about? There’s enough ammunition in his performances and interviews, you don’t have to make shit up also.

Tap

Maguire is as dumb as he looks. Utterly lacking in self awareness.

Robbie Boy

Honestly, this whole era for United has been a fecking shambles. I never wanted Maguire - nor did I ever rate him - but feck me, he's been far worse for us than I thought he would be. The guy also clearly lacks self awareness and isn't likeable whatsoever.

How we let Ole manage this side for 3 fecking years, while blowing 80m on Maguire and making him captain, is totally beyond me. We've been an absolute laughing stock for years now; yet some on here will do anything and everything to try defend Maguire and Ole. Fact is; both are absolute poster boys of our horrible demise.

I'm praying that ETH can take our club out of this mess; we can bin off Maguire, and forget all our post-Fergie appointments. It's funny; the fans who had serious concerns about Ole's credentials, and Maguire's ability, were dragged through the mud on here for several years. So much so, that a whole thread in the general existed, to make snidey digs about 'patterns of play'; 'hipster managers' and 'hipster centre backs'.

Looks like the people who refused to blindly back mediocrity were right all along. The fans of this club really have let their standards slip something fierce. There's plenty on here who would have happily clapped along to another 5-trophyless-years of Ole, while being captained by Maguire, all because they're under some misguided illusion of being 'better fans'. I hope to God we get rid of a huge portion of this squad over the next 2/3 years. They're a bunch of fecking charlatans who haven't an ounce of pride or self awareness between them.

Last edited:

MUFC OK

"Stopping Liverpool isnt part of our motivation".

Sackable quote, shows he has no idea what that fixture means to the fans and the 'just another game' attitude is why we performed in exactly that manner. This is our captain.

Tap

What should he say?

"Yeah tbf I've had a rubbish season and should probably not be be in the team"

As bad as he has been, he's never going to say that.

This impotent anger over every soundbite is more embarassing.
How about something along the lines of “not good enough this season….need to improve”. Something bland and uncontroversial.

The only thing embarrassing here is his arrogance, lack of self awareness and captaincy.

Slysi17

Yeah but now it seems even the club may be aware he's shite and shouldn't be playing or captain.

That's why it's breaking news.
yeah thats true. Its just astounding its taken the club this long to realise it. Its really embarrasing.

kthanksbye

He's probably got one heck of a therapist, considering the way he's been performing and being criticized, he's going to need coping mechanisms.

Status
Not open for further replies.