Maguire | NOT McGuire or MacGuire

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmaggio

Maguire isnt much better than Smalling or Jones and none of the 3 are good enough for top level of football in Europe. Our sights should be much much higher , but our sights are probably that of the Glaziers and are happy with 4th place and get out of the group in champions league .
Whether you are serious or not, your posts have given me a good laugh this morning, thanks for that :lol:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Not nearly as much as the longing to bring him in is based on him been English . If he was good enough no one would care if he was from Mars or England , hes not , hes decent nothing more and would get found out very quickly at the top level in Europe . The Glaziers remind me of someone are shopping in Tesco but using a Harrods bag
your username suits you.

cyberman

Not nearly as much as the longing to bring him in is based on him been English . If he was good enough no one would care if he was from Mars or England , hes not , hes decent nothing more and would get found out very quickly at the top level in Europe . The Glaziers remind me of someone are shopping in Tesco but using a Harrods bag
I tend to agree with this. Lindelof had a great world cup yet there isn't a movement to put our trust in him even though if he was part if a defence that crumbled v Colombia and Croatia he would be getting dogs abuse right now. Young was one of the best LB in the entire tournament yet you would think posters were discussing my football ability rather than his on here.
Maguire is overrated because he's apparently attainable from a smaller club and hasnt the stench of being discussed to death with minds made up ala Young and Stones.
The same way Dembele was a cert to be up there with Mbappe last year because he was moving from Dortmund.
A player simply being available won't give us what we need

jmaggio

I tend to agree with this. Lindelof had a great world cup yet there isn't a movement to put our trust in him even though if he was part if a defence that crumbled v Colombia and Croatia he would be getting dogs abuse right now. Young was one of the best LB in the entire tournament yet you would think posters were discussing my football ability rather than his on here.
Maguire is overrated because he's apparently attainable from a smaller club and hasnt the stench of being discussed to death with minds made up ala Young and Stones.
The same way Dembele was a cert to be up there with Mbappe last year because he was moving from Dortmund.
A player simply being available won't give us what we need
So you agree with him that the want for him is based on him being English, then you hint you want young to be our first choice left back ? I’m missing your point buddy.

cyberman

So you agree with him that the want for him is based on him being English, then you hint you want young to be our first choice left back ? I’m missing your point buddy.
Nobody is calling for Stones or Young to be starters because a lot of minds are made up by now regardless of how they perform.
Maguire doesn't have that as of yet but if we don't sign him then he'll be under the microscope over the entire season and I promise you that every mistake will be highlighted and he'll be treated like Perisic or Willian come the seasons end.
As of now, he's the gettable player in an English side who did well so posters are happy to buy him. If Trippier played for Leicester we would be all over him as well or we wouldn't mind giving Pickford a chance if DDG moved to Madrid.
Maybe I'm arguing two points here but if Maguire performed like this for Croatia I don't think we'd be linked with him to be honest. He would simply be a lower quality player ala Lovern or Lindelof who had a good tournament.
Find me a report that had Maguire rated at 50m before the WC or a non English defender who had his value soar as high as his since then and I'll wear a City shirt for the rest of the summer!

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
You have zero credibility. You make little effort to hide your bigotry.

You have made 10 posts, the majority dripping with bitterness about England.

These people don't exist. This post had to be moderated.

There were no such plans, just a private heritage airplane company trying to get some exposure.

This was completely irrelevant to the conversation and had to be moderated.
@Classical Mechanic WINS. Flawless Victory!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
You have zero credibility. You make little effort to hide your bigotry.

You have made 10 posts, the majority dripping with bitterness about England.

These people don't exist. This post had to be moderated.

There were no such plans, just a private heritage airplane company trying to get some exposure.

This was completely irrelevant to the conversation and had to be moderated.
Comfortably the best reply I've seen on the Caf for years!:lol:

El-Manos

I would probably put them in this order in terms of level (considering Injury records and overall contribution).

Pure defending:

Maguire
Alderweireld
Smalling
Jones

Heading/Ariel threat
Maguire
Smalling
Alderweirld
Jones

Injury record/liability

Maguire
Smalling
Alderweireld
Known universe
Jones

Passing and initiating attacks
Alderwield
Maguire
Jones
Smalling

Pace:(not too sure about this one)
Jones(when fit)-Smalling tied
Maguire-Alderwield
Pure defending Maguire? Has to be Alderweireld surely and it's not even close. Alderweireld is pretty much the perfect available centre back for us, there is a reason why we are interested. Just his injuries worry me.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
How did this reporter know about Jose?
he's the lead commentator, chief reporter and regularly speaks to other media personnel especially from local press that deal with each club, the guys a first class prick but has decent contacts in this regard

trezeguet

Supports
Spartak Trnava
Sorry but I can't see it. Looks lumbersome, slow on the turn, passing not that great when under pressure.

Yes, Maguire is a great defender. Under Mourinho, deep line, compact structure to bail him out when in trouble.

Problem would be when more expansive coach takes over Jose, and it looks like that is going to happen sooner rather than later - what to do with Maguire? This is a problem for United, signing players for a manager who won't be at the club next year or so.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cliche Guevara

Sorry but I can't see it. Looks lumbersome, slow on the turn, passing not that great when under pressure.

Yes, Maguire is a great defender. Under Mourinho, deep line, compact structure to bail him out when in trouble.

Problem would be when more expansive coach takes over Jose, and it looks like that is going to happen sooner rather than later - what to do with Maguire? This is a problem for United, signing players for a manager who won't be at the club next year or so.
I see...

Scholsey2004

Lumbersome. When lumbering and cumbersome get together and make a baby. Ooh yeah...

Bestietom

Maguire is much better since his move to Leicester and will improve more with better players around him. He has been fantastic for England in this WC and deserves a chance with us. He is still only 25 and I can see he has leadership material.IMO

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Nobody is calling for Stones or Young to be starters because a lot of minds are made up by now regardless of how they perform.
Maguire doesn't have that as of yet but if we don't sign him then he'll be under the microscope over the entire season and I promise you that every mistake will be highlighted and he'll be treated like Perisic or Willian come the seasons end.
As of now, he's the gettable player in an English side who did well so posters are happy to buy him. If Trippier played for Leicester we would be all over him as well or we wouldn't mind giving Pickford a chance if DDG moved to Madrid.
Maybe I'm arguing two points here but if Maguire performed like this for Croatia I don't think we'd be linked with him to be honest. He would simply be a lower quality player ala Lovern or Lindelof who had a good tournament.
Find me a report that had Maguire rated at 50m before the WC or a non English defender who had his value soar as high as his since then and I'll wear a City shirt for the rest of the summer!
do you want the home or away shirt? ;)

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/f...ry-Maguire-Man-Utd-Arsenal-Tottenham-Man-City

https://talksport.com/football/3511...-value-increase-according-stats-180312275222/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/5637417/harry-maguire-manchester-city-future-leicester/

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/02/1...ire-reportedly-valued-at-50m-months-after-sp/

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/man-city-linked-50m-move-1023803

Ton of articles in Jan - March

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=h...I22gQac8ZDIDQ&start=220&sa=N&biw=1065&bih=772

But I do get and agree with your wider point on minds made up regardless on how certain players play, £50m seems a hell of a lot for a player you don't really need, same as us with Mahrez

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Thank you for that. I'm not surprised to see City linked with him too, he's exactly the type of defender that Pep likes.

Oh and btw, maybe City don't need him but we do.

Bwuk

Maguire is much better since his move to Leicester and will improve more with better players around him. He has been fantastic for England in this WC and deserves a chance with us. He is still only 25 and I can see he has leadership material.IMO
Don't think it's just his move to Leicester, his whole career has been an uphill trajectory.

I'd rather Maguire than Toby if I'm honest.

Classical Mechanic

Thank you for that. I'm not surprised to see City linked with him too, he's exactly the type of defender that Pep likes.

He was brilliant in the League Cup game against City. Pep was whispering sweet nothings into his ear at the end of the game.

He tends to put in his best performances in against the big sides. He's played well against us a few times and the Maguire thread from last season was started after a big performance against Chelsea.

Thunderhead

Supports
City

really? I think I'm with a number of members of the CAF, with Fred you've support now for the centre mid, Lindhoff, Bailly, are good enough alongside one of Smalling or Jones, I'd be looking at fullbacks and right wing before the defensive centre if I was Jose.

We really don't need him, I'm happy with what we have and we could assemble the best back 4 of all time and they'd still look exposed with the way we play.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Slabhead is fine but not sure he would really improve us.

El Zoido

He’d be an upgrade on both Jones and a Smalling. Would be a good signing imo, José would take him up a level.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
People keep banging on about Jones and Smalling, and underrating them both, but more to the point we have 3 other first team CBs, not to mention Tuanzebe and even Fosu-Mensah. It is probably more important to sell than it is to buy.

Judas

Open to offers
It is not certain he will get better though.
Nothing is certain, but he seems thrive in the big games, has done his whole career. Think making the step up would do wonders for him.

A couple of kids who've yet to prove themselves at PL aren't reason to not get Maguire. Honestly doubt TFM or Axel will make it with us, I hope they do, they're still young enough to get better, but wouldn't surprise me if loans are the best course of action again.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
People keep banging on about Jones and Smalling, and underrating them both, but more to the point we have 3 other first team CBs, not to mention Tuanzebe and even Fosu-Mensah. It is probably more important to sell than it is to buy.
And we bought a young CB just last summer and many here have aready completely given up on him.

witchtrials

I don't wish to insult Maguire, but if we somehow contrived to pay Leicester the same (or more) for him as they got for Mahrez we would rightly be a laughing stock.

cyberman

Well shit :(
People underestimate the step up and the pressure that's involved with these moves.
Smalling was unironically called Smallingbauer on here for a long time while Jones was this generations version of Duncan Edwards who once dribbled past 3/4 opposition players to set up a tap in goal v Bolton (I think)
Now they both can't pass the ball according to some on here despite sharing the RB position under Sir Alex for two years.
Now to pick up a City / Utd half and half scarf..

davidmichael

I’d take Maguire over Jones, Rojo and Lindelof so sell two of those three and go with Bailly, Smalling, Maguire and whichever one isn’t sold with Tuanzebe on a loan where we can recall him if needed.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Don't want (not now anyway), get Alderweireld now and if he continues to progress replace Bailly or Lindelof with Maguire next summer

jmaggio

Well shit :(
People underestimate the step up and the pressure that's involved with these moves.
Smalling was unironically called Smallingbauer on here for a long time while Jones was this generations version of Duncan Edwards who once dribbled past 3/4 opposition players to set up a tap in goal v Bolton (I think)
Now they both can't pass the ball according to some on here despite sharing the RB position under Sir Alex for two years.
Now to pick up a City / Utd half and half scarf..
Surely the difference is that Maguire put in some good performances at the WC, a pretty big stage already? Neither Smalling or Jones ever did this at International level. Or am I just being English and arrogant :wenger:

cyberman

Surely the difference is that Maguire put in some good performances at the WC, a pretty big stage already? Or am I just being English and arrogant :wenger:
Yes but against who? The passing out from the back and composure died v Croatia and Colombia who were the two best sides you faced and the two who even put pressure on your back three.
Pickford had a fantastic world cup, I don't see him being brought forward as someone who has proven himself on the biggest stage.
Same as Young and Lindelof.

jmaggio

Yes but against who? The passing out from the back and composure died v Croatia and Colombia who were the two best sides you faced and the two who even put pressure on your back three.
Pickford had a fantastic world cup, I don't see him being brought forward as someone who has proven himself on the biggest stage.
Same as Young and Lindelof.
Maguire did well vs Columbia in the first half and he also did very well against Sweden, in a quarter final, when the last time England went to a tournament they got deposed by Iceland. I agree with Pickford, But I feel at times young was a bit predictable with his play, but he did put in some great performances but then again I’ve always said he’s had a Renaissance under Jose.

I didnt say Maguire is the only player who had a good tournament, I particularly think Trippier was our top performer, so again I don’t get your point ? I don’t particularly want to keep Smalling or Jones, so I’d ideally like to see one of them leave and us to keep Lindelöf who, as you said, had a great tournament. I do think Maguire as a CB is what we need, and he’s not as bad as many posters in here make out. I would rather have Alderweireld If truth be told.

Status
Not open for further replies.