Maguire | NOT McGuire or MacGuire

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmaggio

The way people talk about Maguire vs Columbia, you’d think he capitulated, scored 3 own goals and got sent off for head butting someone :lol: His defence conceded one goal and went on to win the penalties ffs

Oldyella

I’d take Maguire over Jones, Rojo and Lindelof so sell two of those three and go with Bailly, Smalling, Maguire and whichever one isn’t sold with Tuanzebe on a loan where we can recall him if needed.
If we do go for him, hopefully we move both Jones and Rojo on. Neither are good enough and have enough fitness issues that they can't even be relied upon as cover. Maguire Smalling and Lindelof are generally ok fitness wise and ample if we are playing a back 4 with Bailly when fit as well. Not counting the younger CBs if they don't go on loan.

jmaggio

If we do go for him, hopefully we move both Jones and Rojo on. Neither are good enough and have enough fitness issues that they can't even be relied upon as cover. Maguire Smalling and Lindelof are generally ok fitness wise and ample if we are playing a back 4 with Bailly when fit as well. Not counting the younger CBs if they don't go on loan.
I’d definitely like to see Lindelöf stay and be given more game time. The guy showed some of his potential last year and he’s still only 21? And had a great tournament. Pie in the sky thinking for me is Jones, Darmian and maybe Rojo out, Toby, Maguire and Sandro in. That’s not gonna happen though I know :(

kevin hunt

You have zero credibility. You make little effort to hide your bigotry.

You have made 10 posts, the majority dripping with bitterness about England.

These people don't exist. This post had to be moderated.

There were no such plans, just a private heritage airplane company trying to get some exposure.

This was completely irrelevant to the conversation and had to be moderated.
I am not in the slightest bit bigoted in relation to English players playing for UTD if they are good enough , very few of them are or would be , Maguire been a prime example

SER19

Would be a tragedy to spend that much on him, if we did I’d love to be proven wrong and support any player we sign, but I think smalling is superior. Crazy transfer if it happens at that price

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
An aerially capable CB is a necessity tbh. The amount of cheap goals we conceded from setpieces last season is ridiculous.

I'm all for it. Welcome to Manchester Ramsay Bolton.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I have no problem with Maguire who has been doing well all the way since Sheff U, but I hate to see transfers influenced by a world cup. At best the price is inflated, at worst it can be a disaster.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
As if a potential buyer would talk about that type of fee with a journalist.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Yeah there's no chance we value him at 65m pounds.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
Hopefully we can offload a defender or two to Leicester to sweeten the deal. With no much time left they'll need a solid replacement and a Jones type would be suited to them.

NinjaFletch

God, the abuse posters would have gotten at the start of the transfer window for suggesting that United will sign Maguire and go into the season with Young and Valencia as first choice at fullback would have been insane.

AgentP

I have no problem with Maguire who has been doing well all the way since Sheff U, but I hate to see transfers influenced by a world cup. At best the price is inflated, at worst it can be a disaster.
Everyone knew he was a good player even before the World Cup. The real doubt was whether he'll be able to handle the pressures of playing at a big club. He has shown at the World Cup that he doesn't get fazed even on the biggest stage.

VanGaalyTime

Do they mean Leicester value him at 65? If we value him at that much, can't see this deal not happening, if all that is true of course.
That's my understanding. No way he's worth more than 35, even in this market.

sincher

Everyone knew he was a good player even before the World Cup. The real doubt was whether he'll be able to handle the pressures of playing at a big club. He has shown at the World Cup that he doesn't get fazed even on the biggest stage.
The biggest stage is often the worst guide.

Ekeke

The way people talk about Maguire vs Columbia, you’d think he capitulated, scored 3 own goals and got sent off for head butting someone :lol: His defence conceded one goal and went on to win the penalties ffs
Thanks to Harry Kane getting away with engineering a penalty yes. Very lucky

Judas

Open to offers
God, the abuse posters would have gotten at the start of the transfer window for suggesting that United will sign Maguire and go into the season with Young and Valencia as first choice at fullback would have been insane.
Well people are still angry about the latter. It's beyond incompetent that we're not solving our LB and RB positions, but this ain't the thread for that.

sincher

That's my understanding. No way he's worth more than 35, even in this market.
Unrealistic when you consider the VVD fee, his age, his contract, and the current hype. Plus Leicester don't need money.

TrueRed79

Young, English CB who can carry the ball out of defense. Is dominant in the air as well. This would be the type of signing Fergie would have made. I'm all for it but i hope it's not at the £65M mark as that would be £20M too much.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Young, English CB who can carry the ball out of defense. Is dominant in the air as well. This would be the type of signing Fergie would have made. I'm all for it but i hope it's not at the £65M mark as that would be £20M too much.
He isn't old obviously but 25 isn't really young either.

Judas

Open to offers
Maguire ain't going anywhere below for 50m in todays market. He's English and seen as one of the countries best up and coming defenders. People need to be realistic.

El-Manos

Worst time to be signing him. Either ignore the CB situation until next summer or just spend it on Alderweireld now.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
There has still been no tweet elsewhere about this, which is odd. Even from the mentioned SSN.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Worst time to be signing him. Either ignore the CB situation until next summer or just spend it on Alderweireld now.
I'm not sure we can really afford to leave our CB situation the way it is for another season. May be the end for Rojo and Jones though.

LoneStar

Perhaps we could offer one of Jones/Rojo to Leicester, to sweeten the deal. Two birds with one stone.

Surely we are not buying another CB without selling one atleast.

Or maybe Jose is planning to go with 3 at the back.

Infra-red

Well, I suppose it is possible that this is all still part of the Alderweireld negotiations (eg we're putting it about that we have other options/targets).

NinjaFletch

Well people are still angry about the latter. It's beyond incompetent that we're not solving our LB and RB positions, but this ain't the thread for that.
I'd say probably deciding that a flavour of the month centre back whose popularity and reputation is based solely on the fact that he played in a side that didn't have to do much defending through a fairly generous world cup draw, is probably further proof of out incompetent recruitment rather than an isolated issue in fairness.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Pretty expensive but we should get it done. We need a CB and he’s a good option with room for improvement and it means less of Rojo/Jones/Smalling which is only a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.