Maguire | NOT McGuire or MacGuire

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's the perfect age to buy him. Almost fully developed and will be heading into his peak years soon but old enough to get 8 years out of him.
I would argue that at that age, you expect a better player with more experience because the improvements while still possible are less likely. But from an optimistic POV, I agree with you.

Minkaro

After selling Mahrez, Leicester don’t need the cash (probably). Add that to Maguire’s good World Cup and him being English, and I can see them demanding even more than £65m.

It wouldn’t surprise me if we gave up on him and went for a more affordable option (Alderweireld?)

AgentP

After selling Mahrez, Leicester don’t need the cash (probably). Add that to Maguire’s good World Cup and him being English, and I can see them demanding even more than £65m.

It wouldn’t surprise me if we gave up on him and went for a more affordable option (Alderweireld?)
I thought we were initially going for Maguire because Alderweireld was not affordable :lol:

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Maguire makes sense as a 'commanding' centre back.

One of our biggest weaknesses last season was on set pieces. We are generally second best when met with a team that can match our height and prone to concede from them. Maguire cleans up on set pieces as well as being a front foot defender.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I would argue that at that age, you expect a better player with more experience because the improvements while still possible are less likely. But from an optimistic POV, I agree with you.
When you think about his sort of age range though a lot of the best CBs look quite unattainable: Umtiti, Varane, Marquinhos, Gimenez, Laporte are all at big clubs with very little chance to sign them and are all in his age bracket. But I do get your general point, maybe he's the best we could realistically have got? Still, £65m is a lot and I hope we're absolutely certain he's the right choice for us.

Red_toad

Is he really the commanding CB we need? I have my doubts.
He always looks like a real leader. That's something our defence really lacks. Fee means nothing as none of us will be paying it and Everton paid £50 million for a winger who's had half a good season. Maguire has been a very consistent performer in the Premier league. Shame some aren't even willing to see how he goes at United. If Jose wants players to set up a title challenge, then there really shouldn't be so much resistance to the club financially backing him.

settembrini

The bitter pills we have to swallow are that a) we could have got him fairly cheaply just last summer and b) it's yet more money spent on CBs when other areas of the team have been crying out for investment for years.

If you can accept that I think it's a good signing. Him being comfortable as the left sided CB and being good at developing play will make him an excellent partner for Smalling, who can return the favour by covering for Maguire's lack of pace.

AltiUn

Maguire makes sense as a 'commanding' centre back.

One of our biggest weaknesses last season was on set pieces. We are generally second best when met with a team that can match our height and prone to concede from them. Maguire cleans up on set pieces as well as being a front foot defender.
I do think he and Smalling could help us enormously at set pieces, they're both around 6'4 with specialities in heading and as you said we did have a clear weakness for them last season.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Word is Rojo is at the bottom of the list. I feel he’ll be harder to sell though.
Would sell them both TBH. Think Rojo would go to spain/Portugal/Italy no problem, he's good on his day just too many brainfarts like Jones.

AltiUn

The bitter pills we have to swallow are that a) we could have picked him fairly cheaply just last summer and b) it's yet more money spent on CBs when other areas of the team have been crying out for investment for years.

If you can accept that I think it's a good signing. Him being comfortable as the left sided CB and being good at developing play from the ball will make him an excellent partner for Smalling, who can return the favour by covering for Maguire's lack of pace.
The optimist in me hopes that this indicates we're opening the purse strings and are willing to spend on all our weak positions now.

JPRouve

Scout
When you think about his sort of age range though a lot of the best CBs look quite unattainable: Umtiti, Varane, Marquinhos, Gimenez, Laporte are all at big clubs with very little chance to sign them and are all in his age bracket. But I do get your general point, maybe he's the best we could realistically have got? Still, £65m is a lot and I hope we're absolutely certain he's the right choice for us.
And here you exposed the problem, these players have been moved younger when they were relatively cheap, at the exception of Laporte. Their equivalent this summer are Pavard, Lenglet and Rugani.

The Bloody-Nine

Is there anything credible to suggest that we're interested? I wouldn't be against signing him, for the record. Probably prefer Toby, though.

Brophs

The One and Only
I’ve not seen enough of him to be anywhere close to sure about him but if pushed I’d say he doesn’t look enormously better than what we already have. And certainly not at £65m. He has a mistake in him. I still reckon we’re pushing to get Aldeweireld and keeping Maguire on the back burner.

AltiUn

And here you exposed the problem, these players have been moved younger when they were relatively cheap, at the exception of Laporte. Their equivalent this summer are Pavard, Lenglet and Rugani.
Makes it even more frustrating when one of these players has moved already this summer and the other two look like they're either leaving this window or next, all for much more reasonable prices I wager.

JMack1234

He isn't old obviously but 25 isn't really young either.
Don't forget defenders have a longer shelf life than other outfield players. Ramos, Pique, Bonnuci and Chiellini are all top class CBs in their thirties. I'm not comparing Maguire to them in terms of ability obviously, but a 25 year old CB should be expecting to be at a very good level for around 6 or 7 years.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Would sell them both TBH. Think Rojo would go to spain/Portugal/Italy no problem, he's good on his day just too many brainfarts like Jones.
We would probably price both out of a move. I imagine we’d demand about £30m for Rojo, and probably about £25m for Jones.

Acole9

Outstanding
Offer them Rojo as a sweetener, would of course depend on him wanting to go there obviously. I know they're saying he's not for sale but we've heard that one a thousand times before. I think they've been preparing for this and that's why they signed Evans.

JPRouve

Scout
Don't forget defenders have a longer shelf life than other outfield players. Ramos, Pique, Bonnuci and Chiellini are all top class CBs in their thirties. I'm not comparing Maguire to them in terms of ability obviously, but a 25 year old CB should be expecting to be at a very good level for around 6 or 7 years.
I'm not forgetting anything, 25 years old isn't young for a defender with his level and experience, it's not a criticism just a fact. If he makes it to top level then he will be a late bloomer.

Mainoldo

Yeah they both need to go. They’ll cost us too many points next season.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
How to waste 65 mil and not to improve squad? Easy. With doing transfers like this. I really hope that this latest rumours are not true.

Sanche7

Why can't we just wait till January to re negotiate with Levy for Toby? If he doesn't sign a new contract, surely even Levy would be mad to turn down 40,45 million for him with the 25 million clause kicking in within a few months.

But alternatively, I would like us to sell Rojo now and Jones next summer for a combined 50-60 million and buy Toby for 25.
That would mean a net outlay of 65+25 - 55 for Jones and Rojo, or a massive upgrade in CBs for 25 million
That would give us Smalling, Bailly, Maguire, Toby, Lindelof and then the youngsters. Toby Maguire and Bailly/Smalling as starting CBs with lindelof and the kids being back ups

diarm

I like Maguire, I think he's a good player.

But the idea that we would pay for £65m for him and that Leicester might actually reject that amount is absolutely baffling to me.

Football has gone bloody mad.

Ekeke

Unrealistic when you consider the VVD fee, his age, his contract, and the current hype. Plus Leicester don't need money.
VVD being one of if not the best CB in the league, while Maguire isnt?

Every club needs money. How do you think we're expecting to pay for Maguire, in blowjobs?

The Bloody-Nine

Why can't we just wait till January to re negotiate with Levy for Toby? If he doesn't sign a new contract, surely even Levy would be mad to turn down 40,45 million for him with the 25 million clause kicking in within a few months.

But alternatively, I would like us to sell Rojo now and Jones next summer for a combined 50-60 million and buy Toby for 25.
That would mean a net outlay of 65+25 - 55 for Jones and Rojo, or a massive upgrade in CBs for 25 million
That would give us Smalling, Bailly, Maguire, Toby, Lindelof and then the youngsters. Toby Maguire and Bailly/Smalling as starting CBs with lindelof and the kids being back ups
Who on earth is going to pay us £50-60 million for those two?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
If true, looking at it in isolation he's probably better than what we've got, but it's ridiculous that we couldn't see it a year ago for £50m less, he's not a dramatically improved player.

It's a big concern if we are 'scouting' based on world cup performances whilst our rivals appear to actually have a plan.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Maguire is not what we need. He is not the one man defence Rio, Vidic or Stam were and he's certainly not the experienced leader we need to guide the back line. However the latter seem to cost a bomb while the former simply do not exist anymore. Under such circumstances and the fact that upgrades like Koulibaly and Skriniar would cost at least 30m more then he might make sense to sign him up. Maguire is top notch in air and he's comfortable of the ball two assets which will do well in our defence.

Having said that I fully expect a change in our defence. We currently have 6 CBs (Rojo, Smalling, Jones, Bailly, Lindelof and Tuanzebe) 3 of which are over 25 years old. Thus I expect that at least 1 (probably 2) would leave the club. I wouldn't mind seeing the back of Jones and Rojo tbh with Lindelof acting as ball playing cover/competitor for Maguire while Smalling and Bailly contend the other 'more physical' role. If we still need a leader at the back then next season we can sign Toby for 25m. That would of course bring more changes into the team, probably with Smalling being shown the door.

Stacks

Bit concerned that every season we seem to buy a CB. Now we look to spend double on price and not double the quality. I loathe the idea of buying players from other EPL sides as you just get spanked. Also, if we do not buy a bloody FB, after this, I will be extremely frustrated.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
£65m?! feck me. If this is true I'm not seeing the sense in it at all at those figures.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
When your central defenders are dawdling on the ball and ultimately passing it sideways more often than not, doesn't that indicate a lack of movement from the midfield and/or attack rather than an issue with the player himself?

Maguire is extremely comfortable with the ball at his feet, he proved that for Leicester last season and Hull before that. He recorded a record number of successful passes for a Leicester City defender (1000+) and he finished the season with 5 assists, which is impressive for any central defender.

His fitness record is exemplary and his leadership qualities will prove useful to a backline that is very much lacking in that department. He is also a significant threat from set-pieces - yet another area we are rather weak in. Last but not least, he has time on his side with which to improve his many positive attributes.

Maguire's rise is clearly no accident. He is a player on the up and most certainly an upgrade on the majority of out central defensive options.
He is the same for Leicester just as Stones is the same for City. It isn't a product of poor movement from the midfield or forwards. England's movement was actually pretty good. Its a product of us misunderstanding what constitutes a defender being good on the ball.

Walking to where you're going to pass the ball, and then passing it there, or taking 10 seconds to play a simple pass doesn't make you good on the ball. It makes you slow with it.

Watching Belgium with their three centre backs emphasised the point. Whether the pass was into midfield or sideways, it was quick every time, and accurate. Compare that to England and you have Maguire strolling slowly up the pitch then passing it vaguely in the direction of someone. Or sodding odging around and losing the ball.

He is the same for Leicester and that's why I'm not keen on him. He has good games for them and games where he looks like an oaf.

L1nk

Just sums up this club really, overpaying for someone who isn't THAT good, Mourinho's already bought Lindelof and Bailly and yet we still need more CB's? It's a joke, club is an absolute laughable mess during these transfer periods.

JBoi

A good signing this may be. But i still don't think it is necessarily what we need at the minute. Our defense lacks leadership and an experienced head to take control of the line. If you look back through the years at the best defensive partnerships, they all have a real leader at the back. Rio, Vidic, Stam, Adams, Terry, Sol Campell, Miller & Mcleish...

We have a decent group of youngsters that include Bailly, Lindelof & Tuanzebe. Put an experienced leader beside them and we wont have to protect De Gea at the back. On too many occasions our midfield drops too deep to compensate for our poor defense, one decent experienced signing and the negative football we see week in week out can change. Unfortunately, I just don't see Maguire being the type of player to do it. Hopefully I'm proved wrong...

Sanche7

Who on earth is going to pay us £50-60 million for those two?
Ermm 30 mill each for Jones and Rojo isn't too much to ask IMO.
Jones is a full international, massively experienced at the highest level, still young for a CB and when fit a pretty good CB. He has his fitness issues but being English, surely he is worth 30 million. Fecking Keane was sold for 25-30 million

Rojo is an Argentina international. Again he is a good CB, maynot be WC, but he would be pretty good for a mid table squad

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I guess Maguire is going to need to kick up a fuss / hand in a transfer request to push this deal through.

I can't see us spending more than £65 million on him (which is already too much IMO).

United Pro

It looks like Sky Sports are copying what other sources are saying. Also, why would we let it be known that we value Maguire at £65m? Leicester hear that and they'll just increase their own valuation. Sounds off to me.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
VVD being one of if not the best CB in the league, while Maguire isnt?

Every club needs money. How do you think we're expecting to pay for Maguire, in blowjobs?
I think you might be going after the wrong poster. I was just saying why 35m was totally unrealistic.

JMack1234

What chances do we think this has? Leicester have already let Mahrez go and played hardball over that one.

SirAF

Ageist

The season could be over by then. If they need a new CB then it would be madness to wait six months.

Status
Not open for further replies.