Maguire | NOT McGuire or MacGuire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minimalist

I’m a big fan of Maguire, included him in my ‘which 4 players would you like to see sign’ list way back in April. I think he’s been excellent for the last two seasons, and thought Arsenal would buy him last summer, but then again, Arsene Wenger has had no clue for a very long time now.

I think he can become a mainstay for us if he joins, and it’s always good to have English players where quality isn’t compromised, and I think he’s been right up there and with growth potential.
Probably thought against it when he was the reason Arsenal beat them in the dying minutes at the Emirates.

Cliche Guevara

I don't care about that. We've been spending about £150m per year, since Mourinho came. This guy is gonna cost 45% of our annual transfer budget.

That money would better serve us in different positions, predominantly LB or RW or a CF if Martial is hellbent on leaving. That's how I see it.

His best attributes are attacking the ball in the air and moving up the pitch with the ball. Mourinho is not gonna let him do the latter because he's too risk averse. He doesn't let his CDM do that, never mind his CB. I just don't see enough impact in the squad from him for the share of the budget he would consume.
Do you think he’s signing Maguire because he doesn’t like the way he plays?

Greck

Dont pay attention to the player, Is Maguire that good of a defender or is it just his aerial ability we're after? We have enough 'okay' CBs and need to start investing in elite ones from here on

MadMike

Do you think he’s signing Maguire because he doesn’t like the way he plays?
Well that sentence made no sense.

He obviously likes him. I just don't think he necessarily likes the same qualities we do. He probably likes him for being a tall, strong, agile, confident defender who can get a few goals up the pitch... an improvement on some of the feckwits he's gotta work with atm.

But Mourinho never lets his CBs do the stuff England CBs did for Southgate. Playing triangles at the back with the GK, or running up the pitch with ball. He never did that at any of his teams and he had some pretty good CBs down the years. He's too risk averse for that. He asks his anchorman (Matic, Pereira) to keep it simple and not risk losing the ball on their side of the pitch for god's sake. You think he'd ever allow that?

Cliche Guevara

He obviously likes him. I just don't think he necessarily likes the same qualities we do. He probably likes him for being a tall, strong, agile, confident defender who can get a few goals up the pitch... an improvement on some of the feckwits he's gotta work with atm.

But Mourinho never lets his CBs do the stuff England CBs did for Southgate. Playing triangles at the back with the GK, or running up the pitch with ball. He never did that at any of his teams and he had some pretty good CBs down the years. He's too risk averse for that. He asks his anchorman (Matic, Pereira) to keep it simple and not risk losing the ball on their side of the pitch for god's sake. You think he'd ever allow that?
Right...I see...

Biji.Kelot

For 65 millions, why dont we try to lure Gimenez of Atletico, or Mina of Barcelona, or those Croatian CB or Marquinhos of PSG or if you are talking about WC Goalscoring CB, Andres Gamqvist of Sweden ? Or why dont we try to buy Godin instead ?

Why we persist to splurge hefty money for Maguire, just because he can dribble forward against the mighty Panama and the great Tunisia ? Are we really that sucks in transfer now ?

Maguire is slow but not though tackler like Vidic. He is decent in ball but he aint Rio. If this kind of signing is the best we choose to compete, whether in EPL or Europe will be doomed.

And by the way, what is the use of our Scouts ? Why dont we try to buy best Scouts available ? Monaco, Dortmund, Ajax, Juve, Atletico Madrid seem have Word Class Scout.

Jim Reaper

For 65 millions, why dont we try to lure Gimenez of Atletico, or Mina of Barcelona, or those Croatian CB or Marquinhos of PSG or if you are talking about WC Goalscoring CB, Andres Gamqvist of Sweden ? Or why dont we try to buy Godin instead ?

Why we persist to splurge hefty money for Maguire, just because he can dribble forward against the mighty Panama and the great Tunisia ? Are we really that sucks in transfer now ?

Maguire is slow but not though tackler like Vidic. He is decent in ball but he aint Rio. If this kind of signing is the best we choose to compete, whether in EPL or Europe will be doomed.

And by the way, what is the use of our Scouts ? Why dont we try to buy best Scouts available ? Monaco, Dortmund, Ajax, Juve, Atletico Madrid seem have Word Class Scout.
Mina...no.
Giminez...maybe, dont think he is as much of an aerial threat.
croatian cb's...lovren? vida? erm...nope
marquinhos...good luck getting PSG to sell for 60m. Also...not as much of an aerial threat as Maguire.

SER19

Carvalho was notorious for it and Porto and Chelsea.

Jim Reaper

In a 3-5-2 with a deep midfielder there is extra cover for when mistakes happen. Thats how England dealt with it. If we sign Maguire i can see the 352 being used alot more.

davidmichael

Because Jose identifies who HE wants and tells Ed to go out and get them, our scouting network is basically pointless. We signed Ribalta from Juve who if I’m not mistaken scouted Pogba, Dybala and quite a few others that were big successes for a Juve team dominant domestically and reached a couple of Champions League finals but he came to us and what ? Nothing and now he’s gone.

We could basically offer all of the top scouts at Juve, Atletico, Monaco, Dortmund, Ajax and Spurs double their money to sign with us and we’d most likely still not use them properly as Jose wants what he wants and Ed is always said to want marketable/commercial superstars so we end up with a mess and that’s how we’ve wasted so many millions over the past four years and still all over the place.

Neo_Mufc

Im a big Maguire fan but 65 million is ludicrous.
What I don't get is why aren't we on the prowl when he was available much cheaper?

It's literally the WC that's boosted him by a reasonable amount.

Mr. Meeseeks

Im a big Maguire fan but 65 million is ludicrous.
That was my reaction initially. But then I remembered Liverpool signed VVD for 75 million in January. Maguire isn’t too far behind in terms of skill and is also younger. 65 seems about right in today’s crazy market.

But Leicester is not selling anyway.

redIndianDevil

If we start using hindsight, we probably have a big list of all good players we missed out on the cheap.
Almost like Wenger's "I was close to sign" XI.

I don't remember anyone going gaga over Maguire in last summer. I still don't understand what the hype is all about, but that's a different matter.
exactly. No one is after him, if there was no world cup this year people would have laughed their asses off if we were rumored to be spending 65m on him.

trafford1980

Undecided about the best outcome here.

Unlike some, if we're to strengthen a single area of the defence I'm hoping it's centrally.

However, I flip flop between Alderweireld and Maguire.

On one hand, 65 mill plus is a lot for Harry, but spunking a similar amount on a defender 5 years his senior who's available for 25 mill in a year's time is fecking reckless.

Hopefully a reasonable deal for Alderweireld is on the cards, with no Martial involved.

If we do end up signing Maguire I'm onboard with that too. The World Cup has inflated his price but his POTY season at Leicester will have increased his value anyway. Considering what the likes of Michael Keane went for last Summer, Maguire would fetch 30-40 mill plus with zero world cup involvement. It's the world we live in.

Classical Mechanic

With Bailly at right-back ?
I wasn’t thinking that really. A 3-5-2 with Bailly as part of the three maybe.

What I don't get is why aren't we on the prowl when he was available much cheaper?

It's literally the WC that's boosted him by a reasonable amount.
We were after him when he was much cheaper. He was Sheffield Utd’s best player when they surprisingly made the FA Youth Cup final against us in 2011. We were supposed to be after him then.

When City were sniffing around him in Jan his price was being quoted at £50m.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Considering Van Dijk was bought for 75 million, would Maguire at 65 Million be such a bad deal?
Van Dijk is a much better player than Maguire. The question should be why didn't we go after Van Dijk in the first place if we wanted to spend so much on a CB? But now that we are... idk, I'm not crazy about getting Maguire as I don't think he is that much better than what we have but he is more reliable with his fitness and there would be marginal improvements in his actual play compared to what we have. Plus we can just sell rojo/jones and have a cleaner group of CBs instead of hoarding a lot of mediocre ones.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Better Team?
Atletico Madrid is and has been a better side than United for 5 years now. Can't even be argued, they've been one of the top 5 times in Europe in that time. Real Madrid, Bayern, Barca, Juventus and Atletico are the easy top 5.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Ive heard that Macguire can do wonders with a swiss knife and a paper clip

Micky Targaryen

The moment when you realise Woody and the board can easily sanction 65 million for Maguire without breaking a sweat, but the fans are getting their panties in a twist over the price.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
The moment when you realise Woody and the board can easily sanction 65 million for Maguire without breaking a sweat, but the fans are getting their panties in a twist over the price.
Agree. Why do fans care so much about transfer fees?

1) It's not your money
2) Fans have no idea how much players are worth (unless you are privy to some info the rest of us aren't)
3) Football journalists aren't reliable and their employers only care that they generate clicks. The truth is largely inconsequential.
4) A lot (if not most) of the transfer fees and budgets published are completely made-up or estimations at best.

It's just funny to see statements like "Player X isn't worth half that amount" or "We should be in for Player X b/c he is a bargain" as if players are securities you can purchase on a stock exchange

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Would he even be considered without that World Cup ? He was truly average for Leicester. I sincerely hope this doesn't happen

Maybe because he just doesn't wanna leave ?
He was Leicester's player of the season ahead of Mahrez and Vardy.

99withaflake

Is Mina better than Maguire? I honestly have no idea. I haven't seen Mina play that many games. Is he a far better all round defender?

99withaflake

Would he even be considered without that World Cup ? He was truly average for Leicester. I sincerely hope this doesn't happen

Maybe because he just doesn't wanna leave ?
Why did he get in the England squad if he was average? And why was he Leicester's player of the season if he was average? Granted, his World Cup performances were probably some of the best of his career, but I don't think he was average before that.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Why did he get in the England squad if he was average? And why was he Leicester's player of the season if he was average? Granted, his World Cup performances were probably some of the best of his career, but I don't think he was average before that.
Because England has a pretty average backline and Leicester are very average. You would make a better case if you had only used Leicester as they had good/great players but England :lol: ?
He was Leicester's player of the season ahead of Mahrez and Vardy.
To my surprise, yeah. I still think he is nothing special, just a good ball playing CB who isn't good at defending.

redpatron

Considering Van Dijk was bought for 75 million, would Maguire at 65 Million be such a bad deal?
It depends on the wages, VVD is on massive wages £180,000. I can see Maguire being offered £100,000, which is more than our current cbs but similar numbers to Stones (£50 million). Its not a bad deal with inflation and rising transfer fees, IMO he's better than Stones and any other English CB.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He's good but has He ever went through Ethiopia with a pastry on his head though?

trafford1980

You’re correct mate, he’s isn’t average. He’s won the highest individual honours for his Club in 5 of the last 7 seasons, starting since when he was a teenager. Anyone who says he is will soon change their tune, whether he plays for United or not.

There are no guarantees but this lad has stepped it up in every league rung he’s climbed, peaking at the World Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.