Malcom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil may care

The problem is that there is so few quality options out there for RW. Either we take a big risk on Bale, take a punt on Mahrez who we can't be sure is the quality required, or one of the upcommers like Malcom and Pulisic and make them stars. I prefer going for youth, even if they will be inconsistent.
I agree with you in regards to the narrow set of options and I certainly wouldn't risk going for Bale. Going young is tricky with Jose as his defensive demands often suck the life out of young wide players but Pulisic would be far and away my choice from those listed, his attitude and workrate are already in line with the demands of Mourinho and he is multi talented.

Link? Quote? Tweet?

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/manc...here-says-bordeaux/1afuuauaban5s1t9tqqhh6019b

Mcking

Don't know who that player maybe but we need a wide player that has the ability to stretch opposing defences. I don't feel Malcom possesses what we need on the wing.
He's a wide player capable of stretching opposition defences with his pace, movement. He do hug the wing, a very good crosser, a very good dribbler and a very good shooter. What more do you want?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's a wide player capable of stretching opposition defences with his pace, movement. He do hug the wing, a very good crosser, a very good dribbler and a very good shooter. What more do you want?
I would much rather we sign Pulic who has a higher ceiling.

Devil may care

Wait, Malcom a good crosser? He plays on the RW and can't use his right foot, he rarely crosses and when he does it's always very delayed as he has to cut back in on his left to cross it most of the time, he's also very erratic in the final 3rd when it comes to seeing the picture, he has potential but is still very raw.

United Pro

If that's true it sounds like us trying to do things on the cheap again, like Mkhi - we just need to get the right players not more of the same
£26m comes from the original article that linked him to us, but there's nothing to say that Bordeaux will sell for that. In fact the same reporter said that Lemar was available for about £55m in the summer, only for a £90m bid from Arsenal being rejected on deadline day. So, if the Malcom transfer does happen, I expect the transfer fee to be higher than £26m
Also, Mourinho recently said that if we were to make any January purchases, it would be for summer targets that become available now. So if we do sign Malcom, he wouldn't be a panic buy or someone we've pursued because of his low transfer fee.

MJJ

Wait, Malcom a good crosser? He plays on the RW and can't use his right foot, he rarely crosses and when he does it's always very delayed as he has to cut back in on his left to cross it most of the time, he's also very erratic in the final 3rd when it comes to seeing the picture, he has potential but is still very raw.
He also thinks simon cowell plays for lyon

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I think we discussed this previously on this thread, but what you are highlighting is what concerns me about Malcom.

Again, I haven't see the guy play, but from what I've seen on videos and what posters like you are saying, I can't help but think we need someone who can deliver quality crosses from the right wing/side consistently. We're really lacking in that department.

So what is the general consensus here (from those that have actually watched him) - is he a good crosser from the right or not?

Last edited:

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
The Bordeaux president has said he's not for sale in January and I think he's too raw and one dimensional, best to wait and see, he'd be better with a smaller move first.
I'd take that with a pinch of salt to be honest.

Mcking

He's good when crossing with his left foot.

Mcking

I think we discussed this previously on this thread, but what you are highlighting is what concerns me about Malcom.

Again, I haven't see the guy play, but from what I've seen on videos and what posters like you are saying, I can't help but think we need someone who can deliver quality crosses from the right wing/side consistently. We're really lacking in that department.

So what is the general consensus here (from those that have actually watched him) - is he a good crosser from the right or not?
He's not a great crosser like De bruyne, Albrighton, Ozil, Sane, Carvajal but he's good.

Devil may care

I think Jose is looking for fullbacks to create the crossing threat, the problem is the delivery from our fullbacks is routinely poor bar Young, but if he waqnts his winger to be making crosses then that's not Malcom's strong suit at all, even if he does attempt it a lot as the stat shows, as he has to cut back into cross like Ashley Young.

I'd take that with a pinch of salt to be honest.
Maybe he thinks they can create an auction in the summer.

He's good when crossing with his left foot.
That's a lot of attempting but what is the success rate of these attempts? I lot of the time he finds it hard to get the ball over as by the time he's cut back on his left the defender is impeding him. Turth is though I don't think we'd be buying him for his crossing, more for his inverted goal threat.

Dong Fangzhuo

I think Jose is looking for fullbacks to create the crossing threat, the problem is the delivery from our fullbacks is routinely poor bar Young, but if he waqnts his winger to be making crosses then that's not Malcom's strong suit at all, even if he does attempt it a lot as the stat shows, as he has to cut back into cross like Ashley Young.

Maybe he thinks they can create an auction in the summer.

That's a lot of attempting but what is the success rate of these attempts? I lot of the time he finds it hard to get the ball over as by the time he's cut back on his left the defender is impeding him. Turth is though I don't think we'd be buying him for his crossing, more for his inverted goal threat.
We're signing him to score own goals?

Mcking

Every poster here wanted Perisic for his crossing too. Going by that post this season, Malcom has a success rate of 27% compared to Perisic's 15% . Crossing is not his strongest suit, but he's definitely a good crosser.

Devil may care

We're signing him to score own goals?
Lol, no, I just mean he cuts in most of the time, an inverted winger rather than a traditional winger.

Every poster here wanted Perisic for his crossing too. Going by that post this season, Malcom has a success rate of 27% compared to Perisic's 15% . Crossing is not his strongest suit, but he's definitely a good crosser.

Every is a big stretch mate. :D I find the stat like so many stats, dubious. I don't care for Perisic but his crossing is usually pretty solid, where as every time I've seen Malcom he's struggled with this aspect, I'm not sure how they quntify a successful cross, both percentages are really low though unless they are only coutning crosses that led to a goal as successful.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Everything you’d want in a winger; quick, takes players on, great crosser and has a great shot on him.

Does come across awfully left footed there. If Mourinho was so hard on Perisic - a typical out and out wideman - I’d have to question the validity a little of us being so interested in another winger who wants to cut back in field.

Nick7

I just don't see this happening. Do we ever brief the press and actually sign someone?

Wait, he doesn't?
:lol:
The tweet says the success rate.

Last edited:

settembrini

Does come across awfully left footed there. If Mourinho was so hard on Perisic - a typical out and out wideman - I’d have to question the validity a little of us being so interested in another winger who wants to cut back in field.
Agree with this. We could have got a better version of Malcom last summer by signing Mahrez, instead we spent the whole window chasing Perisic, a completely different type of player. Either these links are rubbish or Mourinho is extremely unsure/confused about his plan for the team going forwards.

Thecarrickfan_2016

I've never seen him play, If we do sign him, I hope he's better than the last player we signed from Bordeaux.

Nick7

Yeah Matic. Nobody believed that either, it was definitely Fabinho according to the caf. British journos always wrong etc.
Oh was it Luckhurst that said Matić?

I didn't think we'd sign Fabinho either, hopefully I'm wrong this time.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Agree with this. We could have got a better version of Malcom last summer by signing Mahrez, instead we spent the whole window chasing Perisic, a completely different type of player. Either these links are rubbish or Mourinho is extremely unsure/confused about his plan for the team going forwards.
Bollocks. With that sort of logic you never sign a young player. Then everybody complains when City and other clubs give these players a chance (see Dembele etc.)

Mcking

I would much rather we sign Pulic who has a higher ceiling.
As exciting as Pulisic is, he's not very good yet, at least the end product is not there yet.

MALCOM VS PULISIC​
Apps - 16(2) vs 15(1)
Goals - 7 vs 3
Chances created - 41 vs 16
Assists - 4 vs 1
Shot accuracy - 63% vs 55%
Pass accuracy - 82% vs 81%
Duels won - 64% vs 44%
Average pass lenght - 16m vs 15m
Dribbles completed - 46 vs 43
Percent dribbles - 74% vs 44%
(Squawka)
Although there might be little errors and differences, these stats weren't handpicked, they are the ones I found. The notion that Pulisic is better and more creative than Malcom is a myth.

Last edited:

AndyJ1985

As exciting as Pulisic is, he's not very good yet, at least the end product is not there yet.

MALCOM VS PULISIC
Apps - 16(2) vs 15(1)
Goals - 7 vs 3
Chances created - 41 vs 16
Assists - 4 vs 1
Shot accuracy - 63% vs 55%
Pass accuracy - 82% vs 81%
Duels won - 64% vs 44%
Average pass lenght - 16m vs 15m
Dribbles completed - 46 vs 43
Percent dribbles - 68% vs 44%
(Squawka)
Although there might be little errors and differences, these stats weren't handpicked, they are the ones I found. The notion that Pulisic is better and more creative than Malcom is a myth.
As is usually the case with player ratings on here, it's based on the players FM star rating.

Mcking

Every is a big stretch mate. :D I find the stat like so many stats, dubious. I don't care for Perisic but his crossing is usually pretty solid, where as every time I've seen Malcom he's struggled with this aspect, I'm not sure how they quntify a successful cross, both percentages are really low though unless they are only coutning crosses that led to a goal as successful.
By every, I mean't every poster that wanted him, wanted him because of his crossing ability.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
He likes width on the left and an inverted winger on the right (Persisted with Mata in this role for a long time) with the RB overlapping. Malcolm makes sense. Comparing him to Perisic is pointless as it's two different requirements by the looks of it.

Mcking

Last summer, we needed a left winger. But Martial and Rashford's perfomances on the left means a right winger is the priority right now.

Zlatattack

Is it just me or do wingers no longer run along the touchline and cross it into the box?

settembrini

Bollocks. With that sort of logic you never sign a young player. Then everybody complains when City and other clubs give these players a chance (see Dembele etc.)
Signing young players has got nothing to do what I posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.