Malky Mackay | Sacked by Wigan Athletic

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
I'm just glad Fergie has retired. He was the LMA's biggest mouthpiece and would definitely have been asked for a quote by journos if he was still our manager.

Not saying he would have condoned Mackay, but he would likely have defended the LMA.

Djemba-Djemba

An apology for the apology. Absolutely useless.

What time will the apology for the apology of the apology be released to the media?

Nogbadthebad

there is no way that initial statement was approved by the legal people, and reading the newer one you can almost see the panicked idiots who put it out running around like headless chickens wondering how to fix their feckup. If THAT was the organization representing me, I'd be making it known I want nothing to do with them.

Bunch of fecking clowns pretending to be a competent business. Which sums up most of football really, chancers and no nothings, the lot of them.

SammyUnited_83

I was thinking to myself he would struggle (quite rightly) to get a job again, then I realised that we hire Big Ron on MUTV, which I think is an utter disgrace.

But hey, football clubs are full of contradictions and always play the moral card when it suits them.

Manucho the boss

Lol the lads all rallying around one of their own by comparing it to the worst crimes possible. The LMA are a joke too. Rodgers is doing a press conference live on sky at 2, he's close friends with Mackay, wouldn't surprise me if he defends his behaviour too.

MelvinYeo

I'm only here for the post count
Apparently it wasn't Tan that leaked it, he couldn't for legal reasons. So who did it?

To be fair Tan has proven to be clued up about what he's doing, and he's backed Ole even after relegation.

Nanook

If you read what Redknapp said in full it isn't actually that bad.

"What I would say is that Malky Mackay has made a big mistake," Redknapp said.

"I don't know the other lad (Moody) but what they have done is not right. Malky is a great lad, a family man and a real football man, he has made mistakes and people make mistakes in life.

"Suddenly everyone is an angel, he made a big mistake the lad but it shouldn't finish his life. He is a good manager and I feel bad for what he has done but I bet no one is feeling as bad as him or his family today.

"I'm not condoning what he has done but show me someone who has ever made a mistake and I will show you a liar. He hasn't murdered anyone, he hasn't raped anyone and he is not a paedophile."

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Thing is, being racist isn't "a mistake" ... to send/recieve/engage in conversation that is generally full of hateful nonsense isn't much of a mistake either, it's all just seemingly who the bloke is (i.e, a twat)

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Judging by that Cardiff statement, there's plenty more that still is yet to be revealed. I'm actually disgusted with the LMA. One of the worst things I've ever seen

Oggmonster

Thing is, being racist isn't "a mistake" ... to send/recieve/engage in conversation that is generally full of hateful nonsense isn't much of a mistake either, it's all just seemingly who the bloke is (i.e, a twat)
Without going to far into it there is a possibility he could change. It does happen to people, I think what Mackay did is well out of order as will 99% of people and his reputation is in tatters. He'll struggle to get work for a longtime but if he showed remorse and was willing to change then I don't see why it's beyond the realms of possibility he'd get a second chance.

The Redknapp stuff just seems like typical journalism and people have got a hold of it because it's a nice buzz quote, he does make some valid points, he just topped it off with a bit of a stupid comment at the end.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Just sounds like Harry was getting worked up as he made his defence for Malky, while pointing out that what he did was obviously wrong, then got a tad carried away at the end. Any half decent journo is going to use the 'rapists' and 'paedophiles' bit in their headline and intro though.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Without going to far into it there is a possibility he could change. It does happen to people, I think what Mackay did is well out of order as will 99% of people and his reputation is in tatters. He'll struggle to get work for a longtime but if he showed remorse and was willing to change then I don't see why it's beyond the realms of possibility he'd get a second chance.

The Redknapp stuff just seems like typical journalism and people have got a hold of it because it's a nice buzz quote, he does make some valid points, he just topped it off with a bit of a stupid comment at the end.
I agree he can be change, but he won't just change overnight though (and if he did, I doubt it'd be genuine) - he needs to be educated.

Regardless - being racist and saying racist things isn't "a mistake" - it's a state of mind/way of thinking, and it doesn't need to be compared to rapists and murderers for it to not be a serious offense - because it is. That's why Harry is being torn apart... if he had spoken more about how he hopes Malkay can get educated/change his way of thinking/be remorseful etc. and not attempting to defend his actions, he wouldn't be getting half as much shit.

SteveW

I haven't followed this very closely so apologies if this has already been addressed but what exactly is his crime here? I've always had the belief that people should be punished for their actions not just their thoughts. Is his crime simply sending a couple of admittedly vile texts in private to a mate? Why are his text messages up for public judgement?

With that said what he said was shameful. If it represents what he really feels and thinks its very sad.

SteveW

Just read a few more of the texts. Really horrible stuff. I'm still not a fan of private conversations being made public but they do really come off as nasty people. I'm not sure how anyone could want to associate with either of them after this. Nasty pieces of work.

Oggmonster

I agree he can be change, but he won't just change overnight though (and if he did, I doubt it'd be genuine) - he needs to be educated.

Regardless - being racist and saying racist things isn't "a mistake" - it's a state of mind/way of thinking, and it doesn't need to be compared to rapists and murderers for it to not be a serious offense - because it is. That's why Harry is being torn apart... if he had spoken more about how he hopes Malkay can get educated/change his way of thinking/be remorseful etc. and not attempting to defend his actions, he wouldn't be getting half as much shit.
Yeah it will definitely take time, like you say if he came out tomorrow and denied it then people would see through it. He needs to genuinely regret what he's done and take time out really.

Redknapp could of worded it better. In fairness to him though the article posted is a small snippet from what was probably quite a long press conference. The press have found their story and ran with it. I don't really like Redknapp but he won't be alone in being a manager not throwing Mackay under a boss. It seems like he is aware he has done wrong but won't fully commit to saying it to probably protect himself. It's not like Redknapp just had a press conference about Malky Mackay. If anything most of it was probably a throw away comment. Maybe he shouldn't make throwaway comments about stuff like that buth e would of been asked and it's a bit of an awkward question to get asked. He's a football manager at the end of the day, if anything they shouldn't be asked at all as, although they are in the same trade, they're not experts in what has happened.

montpelier

I see 'banter' as an attempt to attach some kind of humour to stuff that the people doing it might think is funny in some way but that they also accept is dubious and likely to be 'not viewed well' (as taboo, even) by others.

The problem here is, and with the Keys/Gray stuff, is that it's straightforwardly 100% abusive - the content is not even able to masquerade as humour, but still they try and say that every time someone is caught out.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Cardiff have released a statement:

We had not intended to comment on matters which have been reported in the press over the last two days in relation to Malky Mackay and Iain Moody. However, following the statement released by the LMA last night we feel compelled to respond.

The LMA is the representative voice of managers, and whilst we understand it seeks to act in the best interests of its members, one of its major aims is to "encourage honourable practice, conduct and courtesy in all professional activity”.

Regrettably, we feel that the LMA has done no such thing in its representation of Mr Mackay and Mr Moody. The LMA were aware of the allegations from the morning of the search order, and their lawyers acted for Mr Mackay and Mr Moody throughout the legal process.

That the LMA has sought to criticise the Club for the timing of the report to the FA is preposterous, because the offensive communications have been in the knowledge and possession of the LMA for many months. When the messages came to light, over three months ago, the Club strongly encouraged and advised Mr Moody and Mr Mackay to deal with the issue directly with the FA.

It was made clear to them, and their LMA appointed lawyers, that the nature of the communications meant the Club was under a duty to report their findings to the FA if they did not take appropriate action themselves. Nevertheless, with the backing of the LMA, Mr Moody and Mr Mackay chose to do nothing. The LMA were therefore complicit in the attempt to conceal these messages (of which there were many more than the two isolated texts acknowledged by Mr Mackay).

We also point out that the LMA members have a ‘Code of Conduct’ incorporated into their managerial contracts. One of the requirements is “A Manager shall not use racist or other discriminatory language. A Manager’s behaviour should demonstrate to Players and other employees under his control that discrimination in any form is unacceptable.”

We therefore find it entirely reprehensible that the LMA should itself put out a statement which seeks to dismiss deeply offensive racist comments as 'friendly banter'.

If that is the view held by the LMA, as appears from its statement, we consider that Richard Bevan’s position is untenable and we call for his resignation.
The bit about the LMA member's Code of Conduct is pretty great.

This one's going to run and run isn't it?

Oggmonster

I see 'banter' as an attempt to attach some kind of humour to stuff that the people doing it might think is funny in some way but that they also accept is dubious and likely to be 'not viewed well' (as taboo, even) by others.

The problem here is, and with the Keys/Gray stuff, is that it's straightforwardly 100% abusive - the content is not even able to masquerade as humour, but still they try and say that every time someone is caught out.
I think people get to caught up in the word "banter" personally. It's a shit word but it pretty much means just having a laugh, I don't know why everyone has got so obsessed with defining what it means. It's basically a word which has become part of an every day culture. It's one that is especially used now in football and it's not offensive stuff either. Usually it's just harmless fun.

montpelier

It's the idea that there isn't a problem and that everything is an isolated incident which needs to change first.

(and ouch, re that statement - they look to be proper annoyed)

Last edited:

montpelier

I think people get to caught up in the word "banter" personally. It's a shit word but it pretty much means just having a laugh, I don't know why everyone has got so obsessed with defining what it means. It's basically a word which has become part of an every day culture. It's one that is especially used now in football and it's not offensive stuff either. Usually it's just harmless fun.
You're absolutely right. But those 'caught out' are trying to borrow the word and misapply it to stuff which is clearly NOT banter. Which I suppose then goes on to confuse what is and what is not and what the word does mean - a situation which is quite handy for the 'bad guys' cos they 'defend' by affiliating to the group and not becoming isolated. It's almost like saying 'but we all do it' which might be a bit more truthful but doesn't seem to want to happen. Can't admit there IS a problem can you? Bad for the image (of the whole of football) innit.