Malky Mackay | Sacked by Wigan Athletic

RedRover

So hang on. The owner gave the manager £30m of his own money to spend. The manager sneakily spends £45m of the owner's money instead, using add on clauses, then whinges about needing more money to spend...owner sacks manager.

How on earth is it the owner who is the one in the wrong in this situation? How many jobs are you not going to get sacked from when you use £15m of someone else's money without their permission, then claim you'll fail due to not being allowed to spend enough money?

It's about the most non-rash football manager sacking in history
Someone in the know is signing the cheques - its not for the manager to look after the purse strings, he asks for a player and the club trys to get him, if not then I suspect they move on to other targets. That system works perfectly well everywhere else.

He may have had cause to sack the bloke in charge of transfers - but he severly undermines his position by then appointing a 23 year old who is a friend of his son and had been painting the stand a few weeks back.

The man is an utter lunatic - simple as that. He's the finest example of everything that is wrong with football in this country, and if it wasnt for the fans I'd be very much hoping they'd be relegated and he'd lose a fortune.

RedRover

This was coming. Ole is one of the early favourites for the job. I hope he gives it a miss.

BTW - The odds on Sunderland winning their tomorrow are still pretty decent given the mess they are in and the likely mood of the crowd towards the owner will not help the home players
Indeed. There are or will be other much better jobs avaialble than working for this nutter.

Devil may care

Every time I see Tan on TV I keep expecting the A Team to show up and defeat him.

Mackay couldn't have spent the money without the accountants knowing, he doesn't sit and do the deals himself and it's not like we are talking about him dipping into Tan's wallet for a sly tenner while he wasn't watching to buy a pint and a packet of pork scratchings, this is £15M, Tan must have known and if he didn't then he needs to look at his money men and ask why they aren't keeping him up to date with what is going on.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
Someone in the know is signing the cheques - its not for the manager to look after the purse strings, he asks for a player and the club trys to get him, if not then I suspect they move on to other targets. That system works perfectly well everywhere else.

He may have had cause to sack the bloke in charge of transfers - but he severly undermines his position by then appointing a 23 year old who is a friend of his son and had been painting the stand a few weeks back.

The man is an utter lunatic - simple as that. He's the finest example of everything that is wrong with football in this country, and if it wasnt for the fans I'd be very much hoping they'd be relegated and he'd lose a fortune.
I think you'll find that title belongs to half and half scarves.

Red For Ever

Please not Ole. I don't ever want to root for Vincent Tan's team.

Ole has a bright future, surly he has more sense than to work for this guy, he can afford to take his time, and work with someone that will work with his manager.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I think you'll find that title belongs to half and half scarves.
No, that's modern football. We've not yet established the one thing that is wrong with football in this country. Shortlisted are unrealistic media expectations, a Gerrard and Lampard midfield, too many foreigners, diving (from the foreigners), and late entry, Vincent Tan.

Red For Ever

This guy is a complete dick. I hope cardiff go down becasue of him. Not for the fans though, just him.

I thought that but some comments from Cardiff's Facebook page : There is actually very little so far in support of him.

Stop being so negative, lets just change the names to the dragons and move on from the past. I have only been a cardiff fan for 2 years and i can see how much Tan has done for us, we need to stay supportive of him and the new manager and get rid of the dark days we have had before him

So Glad Tan got rid of Malky , we need someone with more top level experience
ccfc

Most are fans since we got in the Premiership. Like Man Utd fans..........only want success........they'll be gone when we start dropping down the divisions....

Mackay should have been sacked ages ago Not A Bluebird fan THEN FECK OFF !!

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Just read Cardiff had the third highest net spend in the PL in the previous transfer window.

That's very good for a newly promoted club. Tan has made some horrific decisions in the past like changing the Cardiff City's colours, but I'm not sure if sacking Mackay is such a bad decision.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Stop being so negative, lets just change the names to the dragons and move on from the past. I have only been a cardiff fan for 2 years and i can see how much Tan has done for us, we need to stay supportive of him and the new manager and get rid of the dark days we have had before him
Cheeses H. Christ...

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
When I see headlines about FIFA punishing government intervention in football, I wonder if it's a better alternative to having clueless foreigners with no ties whatsoever to the city or area a club is based in to be owning them.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Am I right in saying that the EPL has gone through more managerial changes this season than La Liga and Seria A combined?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
It seems like something Sven would take when you see some of the jobs the man has had.

I hope Solskjaer doesn't take the job. He's got a bright future and if he holds out then he could get a job at a club like Aston Villa if Lambert doesn't improve things, or West Ham if their fortunes don't improve. At a decent club, he could improve them and further build his reputation. At Cardiff, it's bound to end badly for him.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Why are fans of clubs who are promoted all of a sudden expecting them to turn into a Barcelona, they were happy with the football when it got it them promoted, now it appears to be crap. The first thing is to make sure you stay in the premiership. Blackpool played great stuff and look where it got them.

Tarrou

Ole seems too sensible to take a job like this. Has Sven written all over it.

I feel for the Cardiff fans. They've had to wait a long long time to make it to the PL, and when they do they had this idiot in charge. They've had to put up with the likes of Hammann (trying to move them to Dublin) and Ridsdale pissing them around in the past but nothing this bad. I know about 20 Cardiff fans, and every single one of them is desperate for Tan to feck off, even if that means being back in the Championship for the foreseeable.

They protest at every home game but Tan doesn't give a feck. He is completely delusional. My guess is he'll spunk another chunk of money in the next year or so and when he realises that won't buy him a top PL team he'll leave the club (probably in a financial mess).

Tarrou

Why are fans of clubs who are promoted all of a sudden expecting them to turn into a Barcelona, they were happy with the football when it got it them promoted, now it appears to be crap. The first thing is to make sure you stay in the premiership. Blackpool played great stuff and look where it got them.

This doesn't appear to be the case with any Cardiff fans I know. They are all happy with the football and (were) very happy with the manager. It's the owner who had unrealistic expectations it seems.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
This doesn't appear to be the case with any Cardiff fans I know. They are all happy with the football and (were) very happy with the manager. It's the owner who had unrealistic expectations it seems.
There was one on Talksport earlier, he might be an exception.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Ole seems too sensible to take a job like this. Has Sven written all over it.

I feel for the Cardiff fans. They've had to wait a long long time to make it to the PL, and when they do they had this idiot in charge. They've had to put up with the likes of Hammann (trying to move them to Dublin) and Ridsdale pissing them around in the past but nothing this bad. I know about 20 Cardiff fans, and every single one of them is desperate for Tan to feck off, even if that means being back in the Championship for the foreseeable.

They protest at every home game but Tan doesn't give a feck. He is completely delusional. My guess is he'll spunk another chunk of money in the next year or so and when he realises that won't buy him a top PL team he'll leave the club (probably in a financial mess).
Do they? From what I hear they haven't been the most vocal bunch- most fans remained silent as Tan changed their colors and crest.

Tarrou

Do they? From what I hear they haven't been the most vocal bunch- most fans remained silent as Tan changed their colors and crest.

Yeah I think so. I used to live in Cardiff and when I went to the United game I met up with a bunch of their fans after the game and they told me there had been chants for Tan out at every home game recently. I have to admit I couldn't hear anything during the game though (but I was bolloxed and wasn't paying that much attention to their songs). All the fans I know were furious about the colour change and still are, but I'm not sure how much they protested about that tbh.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I don't know what you mean by 'sneakily'. They have a chairman and an owner who would have had to sign off on that sort of expenditure. If his budget was £30m and they signed off on deals that were worth more than that potentially, I don't see how that's Mackay's fault. All they had to do was say no. I don't doubt they overpaid for some players, but if what he says is true, the chairman wants to have his cake and eat it: sign the players despite having reservations about the fees and then when you fall out with the manager, use it as an excuse to sack him. Personally it looks much more like he signed with the players with his eyes wide open as regards the fees and now he's decided he wants rid of Mackay he's spinning this yarn about overspending.
The guy in charge of signing off the expenditure was sacked at the time, and supposedly the current issue has boiled ever since, so I very much doubt it was all done in accordance with Tan's knowledge and wishes. Even so, £45m is a vast amount of money for a team the size of Cardiff, and Mackaay was wanting to spend more. Tan wouldn't be able to publicly go on record with figures if they were lies, would he?

Now, if I were in Tan's shoes, even disregarding the fact there was obviously a high amount of tension already there, hearin Mackaay askin for more money would make me seriously question whether Mackaay knew what he was doing. He's been given shit loads of money to spend, and then less than halfway through the season, needs more. What the feck did he spend the £45m on if it wasn't to assemble a squad capable of not being relegated?

He also tried using the media to pressure his boss into giving him more funds (funds which belong to his boss), instead of, you know, asking him directly. Not exactly the sort of behaviour that's going to keep you in your current employment for very long.

I really don't get the fuss to be honest. I thought he would have been sacked before the Liverpool game. There was no point keeping him there. He brought a dispute between him and the owner into the media light, and basically admitted he doesn't think he's good enough to keep the current squad in the league. What a bizarre situation for everyone to be so up in arms about considering what other managers have been sacked for this season.

If we want to get on owners backs for putting managers in impossible situations and then sacking them, there should be an angry mob camped permanently outside Daniel Levy's house.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
The guy in charge of signing off the expenditure was sacked at the time, and supposedly the current issue has boiled ever since, so I very much doubt it was all done in accordance with Tan's knowledge and wishes. Even so, £45m is a vast amount of money for a team the size of Cardiff, and Mackaay was wanting to spend more. Tan wouldn't be able to publicly go on record with figures if they were lies, would he?

Now, if I were in Tan's shoes, even disregarding the fact there was obviously a high amount of tension already there, hearin Mackaay askin for more money would make me seriously question whether Mackaay knew what he was doing. He's been given shit loads of money to spend, and then less than halfway through the season, needs more. What the feck did he spend the £45m on if it wasn't to assemble a squad capable of not being relegated?

He also tried using the media to pressure his boss into giving him more funds (funds which belong to his boss), instead of, you know, asking him directly. Not exactly the sort of behaviour that's going to keep you in your current employment for very long.

I really don't get the fuss to be honest. I thought he would have been sacked before the Liverpool game. There was no point keeping him there. He brought a dispute between him and the owner into the media light, and basically admitted he doesn't think he's good enough to keep the current squad in the league. What a bizarre situation for everyone to be so up in arms about considering what other managers have been sacked for this season.

If we want to get on owners backs for putting managers in impossible situations and then sacking them, there should be an angry mob camped permanently outside Daniel Levy's house.
all of this came out of your cornhole?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
No, it's pretty much what's actually happened, but never mind. Carry on being outraged about it anyway.

Was anoyne seriously not expecting him to be sacked after the past week or so. I mean are you all living in fairy land or something?

Tan announced publicly that he was going to sack him, with a long detailed statement explaining why, for feck sake. If you want to refute any of it, go and find the evidence to do so. I've seen none so far. Tan might be a nutter but you can hardly accuse him of doing it out of nothing.

Spoony

The People's President
No, it's pretty much what's actually happened, but never mind. Carry on being outraged about it anyway.

Was anoyne seriously not expecting him to be sacked after the past week or so. I mean are you all living in fairy land or something?

Tan announced publicly that he was going to sack him, with a long detailed statement explaining why, for feck sake. He might be a nutter but you can hardly accuse him of doing it out of nothing.
£45m? Seriously?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Thing is, I don't see the point of upsetting the apple cart - it's not as if they're propping up the table.
Me neither, but it's Tan's football club, and he doesn't exactly seem the type to let things be for the sake of not upsetting the apple cart.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Is that all you can think of? How about replying to his posts with what you think then?

So, in case you leaked a confidential email from your boss, does that constitute grounds for firing without compensation?
why waste my time? he can't even get his facts straight (33M vs 45M wtf....)

now he says he spend all that money in a load of shit.

But ok... i just gonna say, that for 20M he got 2 players, caulker and medel. One is a young center back that could end up being very very good (he is quite good already), and the other is a world class midfielder. We spend 27M in Fellaini who is half the player Medel is, and now we might pay almost 20M for Baines.

You can't make miracles in the premier league. They were doing pretty good for their team quality (they have a really weak squad) until all this crap of Tan wanting to get rid of Mackay... they where looking very good to remain in the premier league until that moment.

anyway, as noodle says, its Tan club... let him do whatever madness he wants.

Spoony

The People's President

But ok... i just gonna say, that for 20M he got 2 players, caulker and medel. One is a young center back that could end up being very very good (he is quite good already), and the other is a world class midfielder. We spend 27M in Fellaini who is half the player Medel is, and now we might pay almost 20M for Baines.

You can't make miracles in the premier league. They were doing pretty good for their team quality (they have a really weak squad) until all this crap of Tan wanting to get rid of Mackay... they where looking very good to remain in the premier league until that moment.

Why in your opinion is he getting rid of Eminem? And don't says it's because he's(Tan) mentally unhinged..

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes

He said 45 Million was including add on's. Even if you consider 30 Million, Malkay almost spent a third of it on a youngster with a view to develop the signing for the future, while quoting his aim was to survive in the league. He apparently demanded more money and when denied, went on to air his requests through media. While the firing may or may not have benefits, how does Malkay come out of this entire episode as a saint? Surely, you can read for yourself that there is an internal power struggle?

RooneyLegend

He spent 45 mill on dross and got himself fired, can't see what's so wrong with that. They just have to be careful with the next managerial appointment or they could find themselves heading back to the championship sooner rather than later.

Can't see what's so wrong with an owner getting rid of a manager for a gross misuse of company funds. Do that in the outside world and you'll suffer the same fate. Its not like the product on the pitch reflects that investment, so why would Tan want to keep him any longer?

He's promoted them, fair enough, but what if he just isn't good enough for this level? With the funds he's spent signs are he isn't so IMO good on the owner for acting sooner rather than later.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Am I right in saying that the EPL has gone through more managerial changes this season than La Liga and Seria A combined?
Dunno about that but it's 6 so far.

Holloway, AVB, Mackay, Clarke, Jol and di Canio.